Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ehud posted:

Also, who cares about winning a Heisman? Manziel won a Heisman, so did Tebow, Troy Smith, Matt Leinart and Chris Weinke. That isn't an indicator of future success.

Tangential to this conversation, who was the last Heisman winner to really make an impact in the NFL? My homer brain wants to say Charles Woodson but it took him a few years to even get his groove in the NFL, and even then he wasn't an all-star CB like Revis. There must be someone I'm forgetting between 1997-2014, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

C-Euro posted:

Tangential to this conversation, who was the last Heisman winner to really make an impact in the NFL? My homer brain wants to say Charles Woodson but it took him a few years to even get his groove in the NFL, and even then he wasn't an all-star CB like Revis. There must be someone I'm forgetting between 1997-2014, right?

Charles Woodson had a major impact pretty much.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

C-Euro posted:

Ricky Williams was the best at his position for a while, Carson Palmer has had a good career, Reggie Bush...eh, Cam Newton has had a respectable career so far.

But yeah, nobody at Woodson's level since Woodson.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ehud posted:

Ricky Williams was the best at his position for a while, Carson Palmer has had a good career, Reggie Bush...eh, Cam Newton has had a respectable career so far.

Nor at Barry's level since Barry.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mcmagic posted:

Because he's huge, he has a terrific arm, plays in a pro style offense. A bunch of the picks he's had this season wern't his fault too and no one was saying anything about his decision making last year.... I would be shocked if he fails for on the field reasons.

He's got the physical tools and last year I would agree with you. This year I've seen him play down to the competition of some fairly lackluster ACC defenses to be as convinced. He might be a serviceable NFL QB but right now I don't see him being a very good one. Someone said career backup and I would pin my money on that right now.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Is Vinny the best QB Heisman in the NFL back to Staubach? With a mostly full career Carson Palmer seems to be his only competition.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ehud posted:

I think that Reggie Bush has had a respectable career but not an amazing one. Not as good as Ricky but still has been helpful factor for his teams.

I'd say Carson Palmer has been the best of them all besides Vinny and Staubach.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Cam was ROTY and has been to a bunch of pro bowls and set shitloads of records but yeah i guess the best heisman qb was a journeyman who's only accomplishment was staying healthy for three decades.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--yeah I'm ok with rating Cam above Vinny provisionally, I guess I was more wondering about the older guys

No seriously with all the amazing quarterbacks that have played in anyone's lifetime here's the Heisman list.

2013: Jameis Winston
2012: JFF
2011: RG3
2010: Cam Newton
2008: Sam Bradford

---here's the end of where we can hold out hope for guys to become awesome

2007: Tim Tebow
2006: Troy Smith
2004: Matt Leinart
2003: Jason White
2002: Carson Palmer (actually good even if you're a Bengals fan compared to the rest)
2001: Eric Crouch
2000: Chris Weinke
1996: Danny Wuerffel
1993: Charlie Ward
1992: Gino Torretta
1990: Ty Detmer
1989: Andre Ware
1986: Vinny Testaverde
1984: Doug Flutie
--here there be running backs
1971: Pat Sullivan
1970: Jim Plunkett (sort of good, not really good)
1967: Gary Beban (who?)
1966: Steve Spurrier (hilarious coach, terrible NFL QB)
1964: John Huarte
1963: Staubach

Goddamn I didn't think it was that bleak.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 2, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Cam's was ROTY and has been to a bunch of pro bowls and set shitloads of records but yeah i guess the best heisman qb was a journeyman who's only accomplishment was staying healthy for three decades.

So Cams about on par with RG3

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Jameis Winston will be eaten alive by the NY market.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Jameis Winston will be eaten alive by the NY market.
I think the opposite. Some coddled egg who's never faced media adversity is going to have a much worse time adjusting when they inevitably poo poo the bed as a rookie QB.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

mcmagic posted:

Because he's just a bad guy and won't be able to stay out of trouble or because he won't be good?

Yes.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ozu posted:

I think the opposite. Some coddled egg who's never faced media adversity is going to have a much worse time adjusting when they inevitably poo poo the bed as a rookie QB.

well that's one way to turn a problem into a strength.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Eifert Posting posted:

So who's your example for a guy who's just a jackass?
Terrell Owens was the protoypical jackass who never actually did anything bad off the field.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

JT Jag posted:

Terrell Owens was the protoypical jackass who never actually did anything bad off the field.

He had that weird suicide thing we never really got the real story behind but yeah I guess that isn't awful compared to say anything that's happened in the NFL this year.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

HOW ARE YOU THIS BAD

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

That Works posted:

So Cams about on par with RG3

RG3 had problems under his feet, not with his feet.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Relentlessboredomm posted:

You do understand that almost the entire receiving corps is new this year and he lost his best/favorite receiver to the draft plus the overall roster is much moreinexperienced than last year? Winston is essentially acting as the bridge between last years experienced/talented team and this years young/talented team. He's still not great with ball security but I definitely think it's been exacerbated by circumstances. Also, :lol: at FSU has overachieving QBs. They don't overachieve at all, loving Manuel was precisely the QB he's always been just with better coaching because Jimbo is great at developing QBs. He can't magically make EJ Manuel stop being an inaccurate moron or make Jameis stop being loose with the ball (although he tries) but he does help them take advantage of their tools.

Jameis is a stupidly talented QB but it won't matter because he's quite possibly the dumbest star athlete off of the field that I've ever seen and I cheer for loving FSU.

The receivers run dogshit routes half the time and the running game has been awful compared to last year. We're going to lose our DC again aren't we.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ozu posted:

He's going to keep loving up, and his antics are going to make him a target. He needs to go somewhere and just loving marinate, like Johnny in Cleveland. If he ends up in NY he's going to just loving collapse. He thought the media coverage was bad at FSU being a national champion? Guess what, fucker, you're the starting QB in the biggest media market in the world.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ehud posted:

What does this even mean? It's not like I represent the collective consciousness of TFF. I think both of them will be out of the league within a few years.

And Jameis hasn't played well all year except for the Florida game. That's just not true at all. There is a reason FSU has almost lost like 5 times and a lot of it has to do with Jameis.

So you're going to blame him for "almost" losing games but not give him credit for actually not losing those games...

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Jets had 8 pass attempts with roughly 5 minutes left in the fourth quarter. I'm not sure you can gauge anything about those wide receivers.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

mcmagic posted:

So you're going to blame him for "almost" losing games but not give him credit for actually not losing those games...

this is controversial but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that him looking bad against colorado school of mines or whatever is the problem most people are looking at right now

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Time posted:

this is controversial but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that him looking bad against colorado school of mines or whatever is the problem most people are looking at right now

This went right over my head... huh?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

mcmagic posted:

This went right over my head... huh?

almost losing to half his garbage schedule is not a good sign regardless of them winning in spite of his bad play

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Time posted:

almost losing to half his garbage schedule is not a good sign regardless of them winning in spite of his bad play

He was the MVP of the national championship game last season and we're going to get to see him play much better competition in the next few weeks. Lets see how it goes.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mcmagic posted:

He was the MVP of the national championship game last season and we're going to get to see him play much better competition in the next few weeks. Lets see how it goes.

You keep going back to his redshirt Freshman year. He is playing at nowhere near the level he played that year. Stop going back to it.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
Shouldn't we just have a toxx for if he becomes good or not good in the nfl?

That's the ultimate put up or shut up, is it not?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
My grandpa is quite possibly literally gay for Roger Staubach, and he's a gun toting business owning republican

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Top Hats Monthly posted:

My grandpa is quite possibly literally gay for Roger Staubach, and he's a gun toting business owning republican

would

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

But seriously, I love Jameis and I wouldn't mind drafting him at all, but the INTs are concerning. The last QB to throw that many in a season and still be drafted high was Matt Ryan. He threw 19 his senior year.

I also think Mariota's ability to transition from a college spread system is concerning. We just tried that with Geno.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ozu posted:

But seriously, I love Jameis and I wouldn't mind drafting him at all, but the INTs are concerning. The last QB to throw that many in a season and still be drafted high was Matt Ryan. He threw 19 his senior year.

I also think Mariota's ability to transition from a college spread system is concerning. We just tried that with Geno.

They have to get competent people to lead an extensive investigation of him off the field. If that checks out, I agree.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

mcmagic posted:

They have to get competent people to lead an extensive investigation of him off the field. If that checks out, I agree.

Yeah I don't think the Jets are capable of doing anything competent right now.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I want Dak Prescott to have a great combine and the Jets to draft him way too high.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

This kid was in my section last night. He was quite popular.

mcmagic posted:

I'm down. Trade for Harbaugh and give him complete personnel control. If he wants Jameis I'm fine with it even with the baggage.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ozu posted:

This kid was in my section last night. He was quite popular.

I'm down. Trade for Harbaugh and give him complete personnel control. If he wants Jameis I'm fine with it even with the baggage.

Giving a coach complete personnel control doesn't seem to work all that well. I think it starts with Woody hiring a president of football ops with a clue and leting him completely blow up the franchise and put it back together. The guys who he has there now are complete stooges.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

mcmagic posted:

Giving a coach complete personnel control doesn't seem to work all that well. I think it starts with Woody hiring a president of football ops with a clue and leting him completely blow up the franchise and put it back together. The guys who he has there now are complete stooges.

Hey Holmgren is available. ..

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Alouicious posted:

You keep going back to his redshirt Freshman year. He is playing at nowhere near the level he played that year. Stop going back to it.

AKA the Josh Freeman corollary for QB assessment

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

AKA the Josh Freeman corollary for QB assessment

Thank you, I was trying to remember his name and wasn't motivated enough to google it.

Winston reminds of Freeman in a lot of ways, actually... it's gotta be that smirk of disbelief after loving up a drive.

VVV Yeah, good loving point VVV

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I want Jameis to go to the Jets because I do not like Jameis

• Locked thread