Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wyatt Derp
Jul 9, 2014

Blue Lives matter
One thing I was glad to see, is that they didn't try to kill all the cops and break up the slavery thing they have going on there. They just got what was theirs and left it alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I like that they couldn't figure out what the gently caress to do with Mr Goon so he just stays unconscious for the entire episode.

My prediction for next season is that he will act really slow and amnesiac upon waking ,but then later it will be revealed he was faking being slow the whole time.

I want him to try that, but then Abe threatens to punch him again and he gives it up immediately.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SBJ posted:

Eh I really can't stand her. I'm not into the whole "tragic, angry, emotional mom" story arcs. I really can't seem to give a poo poo about her or her dumb past. I similarly never gave a poo poo about Laurie or any of the children.

I'd rather watch Rick descend into madness.

I would too, if it meant more "Stuff n Thangs".

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Look at this bloated poo poo. I hope 3/4 of the cast is killed of before the season ends.

Rick
Carl
baby
Michone
Carol
Daryl
Glen
Maggie
Black girl (non sword)
Tyrone
Hispanic girl
Other Hispanic girl
Moustache
Eugene
Detective Carver

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

pentyne posted:

Eh, Beth dying was pretty bad, but this show has a pretty bad track record with finales, mid season or otherwise. Because everyone is expecting something shocking they pretty much have to kill a major cast member for dramatic impact.

Also, the writers need to stop teasing Morgan and just bring him in already. The first teaser was amazing and it would've been great to see him reunite with Rick, but after 8 episodes another "following the trail" shot is just boring.

Maybe the spinoff will be Morgan just wandering around the wasteland being Batman.

nooneofconsequence posted:

It was more like

"The world is gonna need Rick Grimes

PS - Rick Grimes was here."

The way Rick has started killing anyone who even remotely fucks with him, maybe the series is going to end with a Conan like monologue as he sits alone on a throne made from zombie skulls.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 2, 2014

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
The reason Beth stabbed Dawn in the shoulder instead of the eye was simply so they could have Dawn mouth "I didn't mean to", after she shot her. Possibly so they could make Rick look more hardass for promptly putting a bullet in her head.

It doesn't make sense that Beth would do that, but there you go.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I noticed something on a first glance at this episode and had to go back. Holy poo poo every thing about Beth's death scene is hilarious. You see, it turns out that the police woman not only is the fastest draw in the universe, she is capable of Wanted level of bullet curving! I present: How not to kill a main character!

Beth goes over to tell the officer off, clearly being not only taller, but looking her straight in the eye!

Notice the gun is completely holstered.

Beth proceeds to make Sasha look like a genius by stabbing a woman in the middle of a hostage exchange instead of just telling Rick not to leave without those people!

This is the very frame you hear the gunshot - the sound effect for the stab isn't even done yet. Quickdraw champion 2014.

The CGI blood on par with the latest Gears of War game kicks in. The officer pulled this shot off with her eyes closed!

.... annnnnd check out that entry wound, coming directly in on the very top of her skull at an execution angle.

Yeah, I'd looked pretty shocked about that, too.

Conspiracy theories that the Beth was actually killed by a hair-triggered sniper hiding in the ceiling, away!

ED: Seriously was she executed on her knees in the original script and they just shot this without changing the makeup, or what? I mean I don't think their makeup people are terrible but this clearly was done as "She is shot through the top of the skull, out the back" and not "she is shot from underneath by a sloppy quick draw." I'd bet there's an alternate death scene out there.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 2, 2014

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
No but you can't point out how stupid this is because zombies. Zombies are in the show, anything goes man.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I dont think thats supposed to be the entry wound just a random blood splatter that also makes no sense given its location

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

It is an exit wound. Christ you people.

That said the show certainly never actually shows the entry wound or has blood all over her where it should be later but still. Do people need a 3 hour video explaining every hour of tv?

VVV
Definitely possible, but he said "execution style" which is top back of the head from behind basically. At least your response makes sense now anyway.

JossiRossi fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 2, 2014

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

eh I thought he was talking about the dot on her forehead being the entry wound sorry

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Blazing Ownager posted:

Beth proceeds to make Sasha look like a genius by stabbing a woman in the middle of a hostage exchange instead of just telling Rick not to leave without those people!

"I simply can't believe that these incredibly traumatized, mentally broken people aren't making rational decisions! I mean it's not like severe PTSD has ever caused anyone to get killed in real life."

Seriously though, Beth has seen the world literally end. Watched most of her family and friends die horrifically. Saw her father get his head chopped off with a samurai sword right in front of her by a megalomaniac two weeks ago, been enslaved, beaten, and threatened with rape, failed an escape attempt, then enslaved and beaten again. Oh and she was manipulated into murdering three people. She had one victory in her entire life, and that was helping Noah escape his captivity.

And then, just when there's hope that everything will turn out ok, another megalomaniac on a bullshit ego-trip threatens to take that victory away from her and take Noah's freedom just to spite her.

She wasn't coldly calculating that there would be a 73.2% chance of survival if she did this or less if she did that. She was lashing out in a rage. Viewers get so caught up in the fact that the characters aren't acting perfectly logically like we would in Goon Survival Simulator™ that we forget that these are fundamentally broken people we're dealing with.

Mazzagatti2Hotty fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 2, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would close the thread until February but this poo poo is just too funny.

:frogon:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

She was lashing out in a rage.

Subdued, monotoned rage.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
:geno: To the last, I grapple with thee; From Hell's heart, I stab at thee; For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee. :geno:

Despite giving an emotional arc to an actress incapable of expressing emotion, it was a good half-season overall. Probably TWD's best. I skipped a few :words: scenes here or there, but I didn't actually skip entire episodes like I've done for every preceding season. Consider me hyped for 5.2!

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
In a universe parallel to our own the show telegraphs that scene with Beth screaming "Oh my God I am SO ENRAGED RIGHT NOW I swear to christ Dawn I am going to stab you with these scissors without even considering the consequences because I am LOSING MY poo poo!"

And some goon rolls his eyes and posts "Ugh I can't believe the writers feel the need to spell everything out for us, do they think we're retarded?"

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

precision posted:

I would close the thread until February but this poo poo is just too funny.

:frogon:

:agreed:
Though not all posts can be as illuminating as yours about how showing Noah taking guns from Durrl an Carol was totally racist :frogon:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Beth had no reason to hate Dawn. It's not like Dawn beat the rapists to death with a soup can.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Myron posted:

Though not all posts can be as illuminating as yours about how showing Noah taking guns from Durrl an Carol was totally racist

If you think I was being serious, well, you're in the right thread at least.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JossiRossi posted:

It is an exit wound. Christ you people.

That said the show certainly never actually shows the entry wound or has blood all over her where it should be later but still. Do people need a 3 hour video explaining every hour of tv?

It is clearly not an exit wound. I almost mentioned that.

Because the exit wound is in the back of her head, which is where the CGI blood came from. The front wound, on the TOP of her skull, is an entry wound.

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

She wasn't coldly calculating that there would be a 73.2% chance of survival if she did this or less if she did that. She was lashing out in a rage. Viewers get so caught up in the fact that the characters aren't acting perfectly logically like we would in Goon Survival Simulator™ that we forget that these are fundamentally broken people we're dealing with.

"Non-fatally stab an ego maniac when all my friends can get shot in a tense stand-off, despite the fact I have been behaving 100% rationally all season at all times."

Yep, a real study in what it's like to be traumatized!

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 2, 2014

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

"I simply can't believe that these incredibly traumatized, mentally broken people aren't making rational decisions! I mean it's not like severe PTSD has ever caused anyone to get killed in real life."

Seriously though, Beth has seen the world literally end. Watched most of her family and friends die horrifically. Saw her father get his head chopped off with a samurai sword right in front of her by a megalomaniac two weeks ago, been enslaved, beaten, and threatened with rape, failed an escape attempt, then enslaved and beaten again. Oh and she was manipulated into murdering three people. She had one victory in her entire life, and that was helping Noah escape his captivity.

And then, just when there's hope that everything will turn out ok, another megalomaniac on a bullshit ego-trip threatens to take that victory away from her and take Noah's freedom just to spite her.

Where was all her rage in the time at the hospital or ever before? I actually think goons tend to overestimate the rage/madness-factor in people. In reality people are actually AFRAID of dying and aren't just suicidal for stupid reasons even if their life is hell.
But in the end this isn't even about how "realistic" Beth's death was, it is more about the fact that they way in which she died simply didn't match with her character or story arc. A "rage induced" suicide attack could work for a character like Carol who was shown to us as being in inner turmoil and maybe on the brink on losing all hope/will to live but with Beth it was actually the opposite. She tried to esacpe and seeing Carol gave her new hope, not to mention the return of Rick and the others. Her suicide attack might have been believable before Carol or Rick and co. arrived for her to "esacpe" in a different way but not at any point after that.
So in conclusion, they needed to get rid off a character and that showed because they didn't really have a clue how to do that in a convincing manner within the whole hospital arc.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

MariusLecter posted:

Beth had no reason to hate Dawn. It's not like Dawn beat the rapists to death with a soup can.

Beth had absolutely every reason to hate Dawn - Dawn was Beth's Ghost of Christmas Future representing where she'd be after a lifetime of concessions and compromises. Beth had to do something to oppose her, because doing nothing about your values is how Dawn got awful. If she'd just walked away, she'd be accepting the status quo, not making waves, etc. But for Beth to stay Beth, she had to reject Dawn and the passive acceptance of the intolerable that Dawn represented. Even if it was only a futile token gesture of poking her shoulder with sewing scissors, it was resistance and that's what's thematically important.

I think they also wanted to invoke a "doomed resistance" image. That protester in front of the Chinese tank, or a child throwing rocks at an Israeli one. The hospital was an injustice, the adults in the room wouldn't risk anything to change it, but Beth was young and full of trauma and idealism so that's what we got.

If Beth had walked away, it would have been taking the first step towards being Dawn. Which might have been better television.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's you. You're the Walking Dumb.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Blazing Ownager posted:

"Non-fatally stab an ego maniac when all my friends can get shot in a tense stand-off, despite the fact I have been behaving 100% rationally all season at all times."

Yep, a real study in what it's like to be traumatized!

Yeah man you're right she was acting in a totally rational self-preservation manner when she was about to shank the only doctor in a hospital full of armed cops before seeing Carol wheeled in brought her back from the brink.

LinkesAuge posted:

Where was all her rage in the time at the hospital or ever before? I actually think goons tend to overestimate the rage/madness-factor in people. In reality people are actually AFRAID of dying and aren't just suicidal for stupid reasons even if their life is hell.

Well there was the aborted doctor-shanking mentioned above. Her "send more cops" scene with Joan also comes to mind.

But my point was that she's had all of this stress and emotional pressure building for a long time, which became especially intense in the last few days, and then reached a breaking point when it seemed like Noah was going to sacrifice himself for her and Dawn started gloating about it to her face.

I don't think it was about being suicidal. Beth didn't cry out "Noah I give my life for youuuuuuuuu!" or anything. She just lashed out violently to Dawn purposely trying to piss her off immediately beforehand. She wasn't thinking that she'd get killed for what she was doing because she wasn't thinking at all.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
So basically what you're saying here is that Beth has consistently made poor choices, put herself and/or her friends in life-threatening situations, and is an overall worthless character.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I mean the only weird thing about the stabbing to me was that she stabbed Dawn in the shoulder. In terms of why she did it though I don't think it was out of rage or anything. She saw that Noah was going to be forced to return to his imprisonment, something she had already sacrificed herself once to save him from, and that none of her badass companions were going to do anything about it. Makes perfect sense to me why she'd go all Clocktower on Dawn. If she had actually managed to kill her quickly then everyone would have gotten to go home. But yeah it's anyone's guess why she stabbed her in such a dumb spot.

I guess we just have to decide if it was option A: she was trying to wound Dawn because she was real mad or option B: she was trying to kill Dawn and just went about it in an extremely stupid way. Neither option is good or well written but I think the second makes more sense.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 2, 2014

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Blazing Ownager posted:

Because the exit wound is in the back of her head, which is where the CGI blood came from. The front wound, on the TOP of her skull, is an entry wound.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not. Do you seriously think Beth was shot in the forehead or am I misreading this? That's a glob of blood or brain matter or something. She was shot from under her jaw up to the top of her head, from where Dawn was drawing her pistol from at her belt. She drew her pistol out of reflex and tensed when she was stabbed, inadvertently pulling the trigger as she was bringing her gun up, which resulted in Beth being shot in her neck/jaw and out the top of her skull. That's why she looked horrified. She didn't mean to shoot Beth, it was an accident.

Are people seriously missing that?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

New Leaf posted:

I can't tell if you're being serious or not. Do you seriously think Beth was shot in the forehead or am I misreading this? That's a glob of blood or brain matter or something. She was shot from under her jaw up to the top of her head, from where Dawn was drawing her pistol from at her belt. She drew her pistol out of reflex and tensed when she was stabbed, inadvertently pulling the trigger as she was bringing her gun up, which resulted in Beth being shot in her neck/jaw and out the top of her skull. That's why she looked horrified. She didn't mean to shoot Beth, it was an accident.

Haha, "oops I pulled the trigger when I aimed my gun at your face"

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JossiRossi posted:

It's you. You're the Walking Dumb.

Nitpicky, yes, but I stand by the fact that this does not match up. At all.

New Leaf posted:

I think it was an effects miscommunication / gently caress up is all.

The very second she reels back that hole on her forehead is the only wound, and if you look at the practical effect part of the wound, it's it's like she was shot at a downward angle from a gun directly underneath her. If she was supposedly shot in the chin, there's nothing there, at all. The only thing that appeared on her face was that bullet-shaped hole .. on the top of her skull.

And yes, this is again, a nitpick. About as much as how the van flips angles between takes, except at least that was because "this shot is really hard."

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 2, 2014

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

So basically what you're saying here is that Beth has consistently made poor choices, put herself and/or her friends in life-threatening situations, and is an overall worthless character.

Well I think it's fair to describe her as dead weight leading up to Season 5 being that she was introduced attempting suicide and all. I don't think her making bad decisions or being bad at surviving makes her a worthless character, since she's literally a child and it's good to balance out all the stone-cold badasses with someone who needs protection every now and then.

Plus she made a lot of dumb people really really mad by singing and humming, which IMO makes it worth every penny Emily Kinney got paid for the role.

Mazzagatti2Hotty fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 2, 2014

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Blazing Ownager posted:

Nitpicky, yes, but I stand by the fact that this does not match up. At all.

I think it was an effects miscommunication / gently caress up is all.

The very second she reels back that hole on her forehead is the only wound, and if you look at the practical effect part of the wound, it's it's like she was shot at a downward angle from a gun directly underneath her. If she was supposedly shot in the chin, there's nothing there, at all. The only thing that appeared on her face was that bullet-shaped hole .. on the top of her skull.

And yes, this is again, a nitpick. About as much as how the van flips angles between takes, except at least that was because "this shot is really hard."

Who. The. gently caress. Cares!!! Seriously are you guys that bored until the next half-season that you're arguing stupid assed SFX minutia?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Well the van flips ~this way~ and lands ~this way~

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VH4Ever posted:

Who. The. gently caress. Cares!!! Seriously are you guys that bored until the next half-season that you're arguing stupid assed SFX minutia?

Pretty much. I'm not condemning it as the worst show ever or even a terrible episode (though it was a pretty worthless death), and found bizarre screw ups like this amusing. There's really not a whole lot to talk about. Like every single thread on the show is tied up right now except Eugene being knocked out and Morgan wandering around.

ED: Actually that's really odd for any mid-season show to have resolved all of it's arcs. Usually they have some big cliff hangar but I can't think of a single one.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

precision posted:

If you think I was being serious, well, you're in the right thread at least.

Sure, that's why it was in your original thread title as well.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I think we've hit Peak Walking Thread. Please God, it has to be.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

Idea: maybe beth was actually shot by a cop behind dawn in the forehead when she was stabbing dawn. It makes sense. You hear the gunshot. Dawn is traumatized and THINKS she shot her and the crew sees beth dead and dawn stabbed and think dawn did it but it was actually one of the cops behind's plan to take control (other girl cop?????)

You're welcome

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

Like why is that not a theory that people are considering instead of "bullets can't curve like that idiot"

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
It wasn't another cop, it was Noah. Because he was protecting Dawn.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Now that Beth's dead, Maggie is ready to complete her story by transforming into the new Andrea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Dawn had a bullet in her shirt pocket because she was a big fan of Barney Fife from "The Andy Griffith Show", who classically kept his only bullet in his pocket. Beth had a one-in-a-million stab and the scissors somehow hit the bullet and it fired into her forehead.

• Locked thread