Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

That must have taken 3 or 4 hours, I imagine?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
infinite go starts as a 9x9 and whenever a stone is played on the edge another row is generated on that side.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
Whole board problem time, white to play

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
happy thanksGOving everyone

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

IMlemon posted:

Whole board problem time, white to play

Haven't done a whole lot of analysis, but my first impulse was D2 and after a couple minutes of thought I still like it. It's probably sente because it makes the aji of a white descent to L3 much more severe. I'm not sure whether you'd play H3 first or L3 directly, but either way it's something I would want to forestall as Black. So White can close the corner in sente.

It's the next move for White I find less clear, assuming Black answers D2 with F5. I want to try to build something from the top side into the centre to work with my group on the right, but what? O15 doesn't feel right, but neither does K15 or E13.

EDIT: So on further thought, if we don't have a good move, then sente isn't so useful. So perhaps D2 is not right after all. Maybe we invade H3 immediately. Normally Black's response to that would be to invade the corner, but if he does that here, then we can play L3. Hmmm...

xopods fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 28, 2014

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

D2 seems like the sensible move but my mind is just screaming to hop in at H3 and attack F3 with all my might, leveraging the quasi-aji at L4, because white looks globally at a real disadvantage at the moment...

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

If White plays D2 I count 46 + komi for White, so 52.5.

Assuming Black F5, it looks like about the same for Black, just a hair over 50 points. And White's got better potential in the centre. So I don't think the game is bad for White.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
Solution in spoiler

It's actually from my game, and it's one of the few times I got praised by my mentor. http://eidogo.com/#1qPqS3pzj .

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

It's a nice tesuji sequence. I'm a little surprised that he evaluates the whole board result as better for White this way though. Is your potential in the centre really bigger than closing the corner in sente? Maybe it is, but I'm not thrilled. Of course, you failed to include the white group in the top right, so maybe even though I know it's there, not seeing it is throwing off my intuitive appraisal of the position.

Did you go on to win?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:rip:

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
drat

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

RIP.... i only have one Go Seigen game half-memorized but it's a classic. I will study more in his honor this year

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

RIP. At least he lived to a ripe old age... 106.5 with komi.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
RIP. drat, indeed.

xopods posted:

RIP. At least he lived to a ripe old age... 106.5 with komi.

:cheers:

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

o.m. 94 posted:

Unfortunately I can't provide any specific reconsiderations because I don't use bots, but basically, if you wade through this you'll probably find something that meets your needs:

http://senseis.xmp.net/?GoPlayingPrograms

If I recall correctly, http://fuego.sourceforge.net/ is a very strong engine, which you can plug into http://gogui.sourceforge.net/, which is a fairly nice little client. You should be able to save your game as an .SGF (the standard format) and continue playing / explore variations as you go.

I know you didn't ask, but just to say - if you are double-digit kyu, and looking to get strong quickly, you will probably benefit from playing lots of faster games against human opponents. But I totally understand needing your own pace to work things out; it's just bots are silent.

I would be fine with a training program or something instead if such a thing existed, but the major drawback to humans is that they can't be played in short bursts throughout a work day. Most humans just aren't that patient. When I have the time to play a full game in a single sitting, I always choose playing a human on KGS over a bot.

tonberrytoby posted:

I use the Gogui frontend with the Fuego engine. Pachi is also a very good free engine.
And sometimes Pachi for Android.

But the only situation where I play against those is if I have no Internet and got bored with go-problems.

Thanks, this is probably what I'm looking for. I'll check out go-problems as well.

xopods posted:

It's not just that. Computers play the game fundamentally differently from humans, especially in the early game. If you're looking to understand the opening and early middlegame, playing against bots is the worst way to do it. You're going to develop some weird habits, and then when you actually do play against humans, you'll find them making moves that surprise you.

This is true, and this is why I'd like something where I could go back and re-try moves. In the past, I've found that bots make different choices the same time around. This is really valuable for me. I know a few joseki, but don't know how to react when someone deviates. Most of the time it gives me the advantage - my opponent played the "wrong" move, but if I don't know how to actually take advantage of it, then knowing joseki at all is mostly pointless. I need to learn not only the joseki, but every wrong variant, and how to punish it.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Zero The Hero posted:

I would be fine with a training program or something instead if such a thing existed, but the major drawback to humans is that they can't be played in short bursts throughout a work day. Most humans just aren't that patient. When I have the time to play a full game in a single sitting, I always choose playing a human on KGS over a bot.

They can if you play correspondence games on ogs!

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Zero The Hero posted:

This is true, and this is why I'd like something where I could go back and re-try moves. In the past, I've found that bots make different choices the same time around. This is really valuable for me. I know a few joseki, but don't know how to react when someone deviates. Most of the time it gives me the advantage - my opponent played the "wrong" move, but if I don't know how to actually take advantage of it, then knowing joseki at all is mostly pointless. I need to learn not only the joseki, but every wrong variant, and how to punish it.

Not exactly. What you need is to learn joseki the right way, meaning understanding the meaning behind every move and not just memorizing the sequence. Memorizing what moves to make without understanding why will make you weaker, regardless of whether you only learn the main line or all the variations and "incorrect" lines. Although at least if you're learning common mistakes and their punishment you're bound to learn something about why the right moves are right, since at least part of their meaning is to avoid the bad lines.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Zero The Hero posted:

Everyone here usually has a couple of correspondence games going on at any one time, some which last months. Check out OGS. If you mean you want to play at your own pace but have instant replies then yeah I guess bots are your only option

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

So I can find players on OGS wsho won't mind if I take a few days to make a single move?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Zero The Hero posted:

So I can find players on OGS wsho won't mind if I take a few days to make a single move?

Definitely. People are usually playing a dozen or more at once so probably wont even notice

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Besides that one go commentary video, are there any other video reviews of Go Seigen games?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Black to play (as always)

Ko?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Xom posted:

Black to play (as always)

Ko?

I read out a bit of the peep on top and figured it gave me a gote eye, so I tried to figure out a way to secure the eye on the left in sente. This is what I came up with in a minute.

http://eidogo.com/#hWvooL4n

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Looks good.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Zero The Hero posted:

Yep, set your time settings to Fischer. That gives you an extra day every time you make a move up to a limit you set, so its very hard to time out. Hell, challenge a goon, you can put it on unlimited time. I have 8 correspondence games running ATM, so I don't care how long they take as I'm usually guaranteed a move by one of them when I check in. Post your OGS nick when registered if you want us in friends list

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTji1kQNoWIH85dB_Vxka9g

So although the sound quality is not the best, this player is 7D on Tygem with zero losses in any of her commentary games. This might be some of the strongest english language self-commentary available.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

o.m. 94 posted:

So although the sound quality is not the best, this player is 7D on Tygem with zero losses in any of her commentary games. This might be some of the strongest english language self-commentary available.

The amazing thing is how confused and uncertain she sounds all the time. You really wouldn't get the impression she's super strong just listening to her. But that's Go for you... confidence that you know what's going on peaks somewhere around 5k.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That's really fun to listen to and watch, thanks! Also, in her very first video, "And I have gote. Well, I can't have sente all the time, I guess."

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

xopods posted:

The amazing thing is how confused and uncertain she sounds all the time. You really wouldn't get the impression she's super strong just listening to her. But that's Go for you... confidence that you know what's going on peaks somewhere around 5k.

I know what you mean, but I get the impression it's because she knows, or has read out correctly, lots of the variations and is trying to pick the best one

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

http://eidogo.com/#3e9joOOY9

Seki or ko?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

o.m. 94 posted:

I know what you mean, but I get the impression it's because she knows, or has read out correctly, lots of the variations and is trying to pick the best one

Well, even in her first video she's like "What? Really? Oh no... I don't know who's going to win the capturing race, but I can't back down now..." which is something I experience all the time. I don't think she got into it totally blindly, but I think she felt her opponent had to defend the cut because it just looked to her intuitively that she'd win a capturing race. But then he doesn't, and she's worried that maybe he actually read it out and her instinct was wrong, but at that point it's not even worth reading because backing down would be resigning anyway. So you just play it out.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

o.m. 94 posted:

That is so strange, i just started watching her videos yesterday

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

Let alone seki or ko, what happens if white responds to a15 with a17?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

ThePineapple posted:

Yeah, I think Black just dies? Dunno if I'm missing something.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

ThePineapple posted:

Oh man, I'm just dumb.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008

o.m. 94 posted:

She sounds exactly like Hajin Lee 3p and nickname is similar. Anyways brb gotta watch 30 go videos now.

IMlemon fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 2, 2014

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Here's a thing. How many levels of go problems can you clear? You have to get each problem correct 4 times, with the computer trying different variations of resistance. Some of the problems are pretty hard! (It seems that none of the solutions are ko)

I got through around 12 problems before I hit this one (black to play), which killed me. Now I desperately want to know the answer. Nothing I try seems to work.

ThePineapple fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 5, 2014

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

ThePineapple posted:

I got through around 12 problems before I hit this one (black to play), which killed me. Now I desperately want to know the answer. Nothing I try seems to work.
L19 is the first move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
EDIT: Help, I can't find what's supposed to be hard about this problem, no matter whose play it is; am I missing something?

Xom fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 6, 2014