Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
use go instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
nobody ever actually shares code between client and server because the things they do are way different, and if your client-side uses significant js i hate you anyway

pram
Jun 10, 2001

epic thissery

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
should i use net/http, or should i write my web server code using a language designed for children adding popups to their geocities pages. tough choice

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

PleasureKevin posted:

for some reason i like the idea of node. it just exudes light-wieghtiness and single-language efficiency. then again,

welmart uses it proudly

it's built on V8 by google

microsoft is in love with it on Azure or something

those things make it seem extremely uncool.

also where the gently caress can i find a simple example of a nod site without express or other frameworks. i just wanna code brutal raw node please help. thank

node is fine until:

1) it becomes an unmaintainable tangle of closures or
2) the whole server hangs because one job hangs and javascript a single threaded lmbo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like if u just got a lil webservice and you wanna stand it up fast and not make a big deal about it node is great

just don't do like a big thing out of it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Series DD Funding posted:

nobody ever actually shares code between client and server because the things they do are way different, and if your client-side uses significant js i hate you anyway

I found trying to share code weird and awkward and more confusing than having a clean separation

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Great other than all the other superior options, most notably .net

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

well those are my nodepinions I hope they helped

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rotor posted:

like if u just got a lil webservice and you wanna stand it up fast and not make a big deal about it node is great

just don't do like a big thing out of it

same can be said for php

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
or bash

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
hey shaggar what's the closest thing in the java ecosystem to webapi?

thx and have a blessed day

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Series DD Funding posted:

go outside instead

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
node is a joke and if you use it then so are you

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah node is a pos use go

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

but node makes it easy for frontend devs to write servers. the only thing preventing them from writing good servers before was it's too hard to learn a non javascript language

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

my bbs in 1995 used to have nodes. well, a node.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

hobbesmaster posted:

same can be said for php

seriously. combined with the lack of server janitoring involved with getting a php script up and running you should definitely favor php over node.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
php isn't really a programming language so much as a bunch of functions you can call, but probably should not

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
node is fine lol

load up 15 instances and do some routing

also use harmony

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

MeruFM posted:

node is fine lol

load up 15 instances and do some routing

also use harmony

do you see any advantage in using node over php?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Bloody posted:

lol if you arent paid weekly

we get paid monthly, but two weeks in advance and two weeks in arrears.
seems odd but it's pretty standard for AU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

JewKiller 3000 posted:

php isn't really a programming language so much as a bunch of functions you can call, but probably should not

welcome to php circa some year before php maintainers thought oop is cool, lets do more of that + js has closures lets do that too

what im trying to say is theres a push to make php an actualy useful language for a few years now and is definitely not as bad as it was and getting betterer

karms fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 2, 2014

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

~Coxy posted:

we get paid monthly, but two weeks in advance and two weeks in arrears.
seems odd but it's pretty standard for AU

2 weeks in her rears :xd:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
actually, Flask

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

for some reason i like the idea of node. it just exudes light-wieghtiness and single-language efficiency. then again,

welmart uses it proudly

also where the gently caress can i find a simple example of a nod site without express or other frameworks. i just wanna code brutal raw node please help. thank

don't use anything from google. use asp.net mvc + webapi.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol @ people suggesting node or go unironically

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
flask has been super good for the little baby stuff i'm working on but it seems too easy to be useful at any kind of scale

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Dr Monkeysee posted:

cxf

e: http://cxf.apache.org/docs/jax-rs-basics.html

also, use org.apache.cxf.archetype:cxf-jaxrs-service as the archetype for your project

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 2, 2014

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Dr Monkeysee posted:

use jersey its way less work than cxf or axis

I took another look at nhibernate and it looks like it can be strong armed into supporting mapping a and custom queries so I guess I'll give that a go

I don't mean to be all "my hand crafted artisanal sql queries" but drat it I need full control over my schema and that's what all this orm bullshit takes away from you

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Corla Plankun posted:

flask has been super good for the little baby stuff i'm working on but it seems too easy to be useful at any kind of scale

"scale" mate it's a http routing shim wrapped around werkzeug

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

use jersey its way less work than cxf or axis

I took another look at nhibernate and it looks like it can be strong armed into supporting mapping a and custom queries so I guess I'll give that a go

I don't mean to be all "my hand crafted artisanal sql queries" but drat it I need full control over my schema and that's what all this orm bullshit takes away from you

jersey and cxf are both jax-rs implementations so your service code would be identical, but I find cxfs use of spring makes it easier to deal w/ the server config.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rotor posted:

node is fine until:

1) it becomes an unmaintainable tangle of closures or
2) the whole server hangs because one job hangs and javascript a single threaded lmbo

it only takes about a day for a project to hit one of these

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PleasureKevin posted:

welmart uses it proudly

don't forget ibm ported it to the mainframe

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/mobileblog/entry/ultimate-javascript-environment

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

good news: terrible program did not crash in the night

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bad news: database browser for sqlite is a not very good program that just induced a failure

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

pram posted:

yeah node is a pos use go

yeah but then I'd have to learn go.

hobbesmaster posted:

same can be said for php

yeah but then i'd have to learn php.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it only takes about a day for a project to hit one of these

no argument there.

eh, node is not as bad as bash. there, I said it.

tef posted:

"scale" mate it's a http routing shim wrapped around werkzeug

I used werkzeug for some toy stuff and it seemed fine but ugh python

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

yeah but then I'd have to learn go.
yeah but then i'd have to learn php.
no argument there.
eh, node is not as bad as bash. there, I said it.

beyond all the oh no it's javascript, it does at least have closures, lexical scoping, and named imports that don't pervert the global scope. bash is awful, php is not very good for things that involve websockets or http mangling, and go, eh, tbh for something that'll never hit massive load or performance it's probably not worth the upfront effort of writing unless the rest of your team already knows it.

quote:

I used werkzeug for some toy stuff and it seemed fine but ugh python

what's your python hate? i have some python hating

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

beyond all the oh no it's javascript, it does at least have closures, lexical scoping, and named imports that don't pervert the global scope. bash is awful, php is not very good for things that involve websockets or http mangling, and go, eh, tbh for something that'll never hit massive load or performance it's probably not worth the upfront effort of writing unless the rest of your team already knows it.

that's basically the deal. everyone knows javascript, so node makes sense for whatever lame little internal service you have.

quote:

what's your python hate? i have some python hating

I haven't used it enough to actually care about anything important, i just cant abide non c-syntax languages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Python is great, and should be taught at schools as babbys first plang, to replace our nations standard language: Visual Basic

• Locked thread