Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Profanity posted:

Watch I'm Alan Partridge immediately... or perhaps Knowing Me Knowing You first, since you might not know what on earth is going on. Drop The Walshes. Watch The Thick Of It if you haven't already.

I stand by 100% that you dot need to watch KMKY to watch I'm. I always reccomend people watch I'm first, then KMKY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Jehde posted:

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace - Wary of this one since I find both horror and Matt Berry to be annoying.

Even in Snuffbox?

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

The Big Taff Man posted:

I stand by 100% that you dot need to watch KMKY to watch I'm. I always reccomend people watch I'm first, then KMKY

Yeah fair enough, I suppose all you need to know is that he's a disasterous ex-TV/current-Radio host. On a side note, way behind the curve here but I have been listening to the AP audiobook and it is loving hilarious, surprise surprise.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I listen to I Partridge every few months, it's so much better than just reading it.

Is the KMKY radio series worth listening to? I've always assumed that it's just the TV series, but without pictures. Is there a significant difference?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The Big Taff Man posted:

Agree, and there seems to be a certain level of disconnect anyway, like how it's never mentioned in I'm how Alan killed a man with a gun. KMKY was just a bad chat show when referenced in I'm.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

"Knowing Me Knowing Yule" the Christmas special is well worth a watch too.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah sorry, I thought about listing what I've watched but I lost track and figured I'd miss one which would then be recommended or something. :v:

I've already watched Black Books, A Bit of Fry & Laurie, Big Train, Father Ted, Extras, Hardware, Limmy's Show, Look Around You, Mighty Boosh, Monty Python, Red Dwarf, Reeves and Mortimer, Snuff Box, Spaced, The IT Crowd, and The Office... I think that's everything.

The Big Taff Man posted:

Wow. *scribbles in notepad furiously*

Barley stands up today imo. Its even more relevant now
I get it, he is what he hates, which is very relevant today, it's just not that funny.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Even in Snuffbox?
Especially in Snuff Box. :colbert: I thought he was passable in IT Crowd, but still thought Denholm was a much better Reynholm.

So is it okay to skip Darkplace given the two caveats? Is it funny because of them or despite them?

Otherwise it sounds like I'm Alan Partridge is going to the top of my to watch list, and a couple other suggestions added to it.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 2, 2014

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Don't skip Darkplace, Matt Berry really doesn't do much. Aside from the hilarious music video and maybe having an entire episode dedicated to his character trying to seduce a woman turning into a veggie.

Seriously, watch Darkplace. Get the DVD. Watch it again with the hilairous in character commentary.

Blood. Blood? Blood. And Bits of sick.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 2, 2014

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

That's cruel.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Mickolution posted:

That's cruel.

It's seriously even worse than My Family.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Don't forget Ideal a slightly surreal comedy with Johnny Vegas about a small time weed dealer (about the best thing BBC3 has done in my opinion)

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Catzilla posted:

Don't forget Ideal a slightly surreal comedy with Johnny Vegas about a small time weed dealer (about the best thing BBC3 has done in my opinion)

Monkey Dust would like a word with you.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Forget everything else on your list and watch 15 Storeys High now.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Darkplace is largely ludicrous and Matt Berry compliments it even if you don't normally like him. I think the first episode is on 4oD, which is a shame because it hasn't got Stephen Merchant ranting about his flippin' chicken.

A lot of people who like the sort of stuff you do said they liked Green Wing. I personally didn't get on with it but will admit I'm massively in the minority about that.

Friday Night Dinner started off pretty good, as long as you don't binge watch it.

You've seen Spaced and Look Around You, fair enough.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 2, 2014

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

NaDy posted:

Monkey Dust would like a word with you.

Uncle as well.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Everything Alan Partridge related is worth watching or listening , even the Sky specials. And its worth reading the book as well, if only for the foreword (which is a lukewarm reference from his boss) and the soundtrack he wants.

And yeah, I don't understand the love for Nathan Barley either. It's a very cynical and aggressive satire that nails its subjects, but it's only got a few good gags in it. The cast is brilliant though.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

The Big Taff Man posted:

2point4 children. My Hero.

You monster

BBC3 also did The Smoking Room and Mongrels, both of which are good.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Gorn Myson posted:

Everything Alan Partridge related is worth watching or listening , even the Sky specials. And its worth reading the book as well, if only for the foreword (which is a lukewarm reference from his boss) and the soundtrack he wants.

Better yet, get the audio book. It's read by Coogan in character as Partridge. And it's fantastic.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Profanity posted:

Yeah fair enough, I suppose all you need to know is that he's a disasterous ex-TV/current-Radio host. On a side note, way behind the curve here but I have been listening to the AP audiobook and it is loving hilarious, surprise surprise.

imo you need to read the book and listen to the audiobook. The book has some bits that the audio doesnt, but the audio also has alans tones as he reads which add something.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Republican Vampire posted:

That was the one I was trying to remember and couldnt, so I chucked in 2point4.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Jehde posted:

Any recommendations for what to watch next? My itch isn't completely satisfied yet apparently. Any on my to watch list that aren't worth it?

Jam and Monkey Dust.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Catzilla posted:

Ideal is pretty loving awesome yeah. Also, put Monkey Dust and 15 Stories High on that list.

Watching The Young Ones/Bottom is kind of depressing still :smith:.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Everyone's forgot to mention "2 pints of lager..." the only funny thing to happen in Britain since Del-Boy fell through the bar.

made ya look

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Everyone's forgot to mention "2 pints of lager..." the only funny thing to happen in Britain since Del-Boy fell through the bar.

made ya look

But were faces made, Stew?

SeanBeansShako posted:

But also still loving hilarious. I'm still reduced to tears of laughter by the episode with the gas man.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Bring back The List

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Dicky B posted:

Bring back The List

it's still in the OP. Hooray for The List.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
:notrollstamp:

In my very humble opinion The Vicar of Dibley is very under rated.

Plus you can bet that Dawn French is filth in bed. Give me half an hour with Dawn over a full night with Fearne Cotton, phwoar.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The Big Taff Man posted:

:notrollstamp:

In my very humble opinion The Vicar of Dibley is very under rated.

Plus you can bet that Dawn French is filth in bed. Give me half an hour with Dawn over a full night with Fearne Cotton, phwoar.

I refuse to accept that really morbidly obese birds are somehow gonna be really energetic in bed, when they can't be arsed with physical activity at any other point in their lives.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

The Big Taff Man posted:

Plus you can bet that Dawn French is filth in bed.

If by "filth" you mean the sheets have food stains on them, I would agree.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Jehde posted:

Brass Eye - I loved the sort of satire in this, reminded me of Look Around You, one of my favourites. It was good, but too short and could be inconsistent at times.

If you enjoyed this, you could do worse than The Day Today, an earlier Chris Morris show which satirises broadcast news as Brass Eye does current affairs programming.

To not exclusively post about Chris Morris twice in a row, I'll throw a recommendation in I don't see often enough in this thread: the one man Rob Brydon vehicle Marion and Geoff. It's kinda closer to Peep Show than anything else in your list but it's kinda equal parts comedy and drama, so it's not always applicable.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Geokinesis posted:

Jam and Monkey Dust.

+1 to this, I haven't seen Monkey Dust in years, I really should watch that through again.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

Indeed. On that note, Man Down is worth a look just for Rik getting to do completely mental poo poo. I always liked Filthy Rich & Catflap too, it's only 6 episodes and is essentially a precursor to Bottom with different roles, and Nigel Planer too as a bonus.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Filthy Rich & Catflap is sadly more dated to the mid eighties like Bottom is with the early nineties. Still, if you can handle it and loved Rik, Adrian and Nigel working together go for it.

Also, the last ten minutes of the latest episode of Toast Of London you never guess who shows.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Republican Vampire posted:

I don't know if I was just really young but the first series wasn't actually so bad. Or maybe I just like Robert Lindsay after Jake's Progress.

4oD has a crapload of series in their entirety, as well as the first two series of the comic strip, just to keep Mayallchat going.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 2, 2014

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
fawlty towers is the best comedy series this country ever produced, that's a fact.

watch toast of london, and how has nobody mentioned My Hero yet

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Profanity posted:

Indeed. On that note, Man Down is worth a look just for Rik getting to do completely mental poo poo.

Man Down is basically just Greg Davies' standup, set to a narrative, with Rik playing his dad. It's fantastic and a total hidden gem.

Surprised no-one's mentioned The Inbetweeners yet. The movies might have dragged the arse out of it, but the original three series are still absolute gold. For the uninitiated, think "Peep Show but with teenagers" and you're not far off.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 2, 2014

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Nettle Soup posted:

+1 to this, I haven't seen Monkey Dust in years, I really should watch that through again.

You'd have a job, I think series one was around on YouTube but the Beeb are never putting out a dvd

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Surprised no-one's mentioned The Inbetweeners yet. The movies might have dragged the arse out of it, but the original three series are still absolute gold. For the uninitiated, think "Peep Show but with teenagers" and you're not far off.

Along the same lines I also think Fresh Meat is great but I know it's not an undisputed thread favourite. Series 2&3 are a dramatic improvement on 1 if memory serves.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, the last ten minutes of the latest episode of Toast Of London you never guess who shows.

eeeeeeeeee I realised who it was going to be just before he walked in and got very unreasonably excited. (I assume that was the point.)

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I don't know if I was just really young but the first series wasn't actually so bad. Or maybe I just like Robert Lindsay after Jake's Progress.

I don't get why Robert Lindsay doesn't get more work and stuck with that turd of a show for that long. He was loving fantastic as Tony Blair. Link for terrible futurology.

chippocrates fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 2, 2014