Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamuraiSnake
Jul 1, 2010
Trying to beat Classic 9.0 as Marth with no equipment is pissing me off.

How many sadists did they hire to work on this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I don't know how y'all get dickslapped while playing Marth when his counter practically sends mother fuckers back to Melee.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Surviving Cruel Smash as Luigi for one minute is gruesome and filled with rejection but once you get going you can't stop.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That was incredibly easy. You just stay below the stage as much as possible. Get back on the ledge, and let go and hang out over there all floaty.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I employed a method of flipping over and air dodging through them. This one run I did was a thing of beauty and it would have been successful had he done the missile instead of the up special like I know I inputted

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just tried out Kirby inhaling all the new characters.

:/

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Maple Leaf posted:

Sheik:

Like Diddy, it's mostly in her frame data. Sheik doesn't hit very hard but specializes in hitting you so many times that most characters can't respond to anything she does.
If you think you are ever safe, her Bouncing Fish will find you. It's not uncommon to be way off the stage just for Sheik to bounce at you, and you don't airdodge

Sheik is my best at the moment and yeah you really have to learn to hit her down B (bouncing fish)

You're right in that people just don't expect it. It can be confused for a simple doublejump and by the time you figure out what it is it hit you. It doesn't look impressive but it kills at really low percentages. They nerfed it and it's still good at killing.

Also her tilts combo into everything. Forward tilt combos into itself and once it stops comboing into itself it combos into every air move you have. Forward Airs can be followed up by Down Bs for the most satisfying kills

Sheik feels so good to play

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just tried out Kirby inhaling all the new characters.

:/
On the other hand, Duck Hunt Kirby is the best

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Man I am so so SO SO SO happy that Sonic is good in this game.

I get Sonic's playstyle. He's totally intuitive to me. The timings of his aerials and their landing lag, especially. He's just so natural for me to use, everything flows into everything else but he still has tons of mix-up and mindgame potential. I've been wrecking poo poo on For Glory with the blue blur, especially when I have a really good connection.

COOL poo poo TO DO WITH SONIC:
  • N-air (insta-shield, for you S3&K fans out there) has incredible effective priority and near-instant startup, making it great for escaping and even turning around u-tilt combos, juggles, etc.
  • N-air is also really good to use to rack up %s when coming out of a spindash jump, because it's a way more reliable hit than any of Sonic's other aerials. Basically, out of the "roll" portion of a Spin Dash or Spin Charge, just hit A once to jump into your opponent, carrying them upwards, and then mash A until they get hit with the instashield.
  • Switching between Side-B and Down-B can confuse your opponents, since the little hop caused by the side-b can throw off their timing.
  • Don't be afraid to just RUN AROUND! Going from a full-tilt dash into a momentum-sliding shield-grab is an effective mix-up strat that, following an upthrow, has tremendous combo/juggling potential; meanwhile, downthrows rack up % damage, and backthrows and (to a lesser extent) frontthrows can kill at high %s.
  • Plus, Sonic's running-start Upsmash has always been a beast (though he suffered from the removal of DACUSing in 1.04/WiiU), and his dash attack's no joke, especially with it's new "kick".
  • While Sonic's Downsmash is now less visually distinct, and its hitboxes no longer linger as a result, its reduced startup time and front-and-back coverage make it a better move overall than its Brawl counterpart.
  • Sonic's Fsmash has a deceptively long reach, especially when properly angled, and deceptively mighty kill power.
  • If your opponent is in the air, they are your PREY. That doesn't mean "chase them past the top camera borders and hope for a lucky hit", however. Unless you're ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that you can chain two or three up-airs into a topkill, just fastfall/d-air back to earth and wait for your target to come to you.
  • Of course, if you CAN confidently land an up-air at high percents and/or close to the top blast line, then DO IT TO IT. It's cool as hell and difficult for your opponent to punish if you miss. (...Unless your opponent has "plunging" moves like Stone, Yoshi's Ground Pound, Toon Link's dair, etc. Don't try to juggle them vertically.)
  • Don't even bother trying to land the meteor hitbox of the d-air, it's a fool's errand and you'll probably selff-destruct. Sonic rewards swag and style, to be sure, but there's no swag in making yourself look like a suicidal moron.
  • B-air is loving amazing, as it was in Brawl, with deceptive range and incredible kill potential, especially when chasing offsides. Just don't let it get Stale Moves'd to death, and make sure you're facing the right way to land it.
  • F-air has kill power offsides, too, but its REAL capacity for murder isn't through sheer launch power, but through its ability to gimp recovery while allowing Sonic to get back safely to stage. If your opponent is recovering low, just run right off the stage and f-air them away, retreat to the ledge to refresh your jumps, and repeat. If they're recovering high, use your jump power to intercept and pressure them back into the void.
  • Alternately, on compatable stages you can easily b-air low-recovering, high-ish % opponents back into the stage geometry, often resulting in a Stage Spike straight into the pits of hell, or at least a considerable bounce-back recovery gimp.
  • Homing Attack isn't the GREATEST, of course, but once you learn its range it can be a good mix-up strat for recovery, or a fun and effective way of getting around projectile spammers like the Links.
  • Lastly, as I believe Maple Leaf mentioned, many of Sonic's moves defy "counters" like Shulk's Vision, Little Mac's Slip Counter, etc, because THEY'RE TOO SLO-OOW. Don't get cocky, but know that even with perfect reflexes, NO Little Mac or Ike player can actually hurt you by countering your Spin Dash Rolls.

More information as I discover and/or remember it!

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 2, 2014

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Hey, does anyone know what's going on with bricked consoles and Smash Bros Wii U? I see there's a firmware update out for the console and a patch out for the game today - are these safe to download?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well those reports were Sunday, so I'd imagine the firmware and patch are to fix that. They download automatically anyway.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Nothing downloaded automatically for me it seems. Mine is still on 1.0.1. I imagine that's why I'm having issues this morning connecting to anyone online, how do I get to these updates manually?

edit: if 1.0.1 is the new patch then online i just giving me issues

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Macaluso posted:

edit: if 1.0.1 is the new patch then online i just giving me issues
1.0.1 has been around since launch, if I remember right.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Okay I found the WiiU update and now online works fine :toot:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Did some reading up, and it seems to be predominantly affecting people who play For Glory and there's been some suggestion that it is/was related to people powering down the console mid-match? Apparently the system-bricking occurs if you try and format your Wii U entirely after receiving the error.

If only Nintendo actually released legitimate patch notes...

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

CatsPajamas posted:

Like Wild Knight said, the 3DS has the same roster as the WiiU, so it should be great for practicing. However, some of the stages are different so you can encounter ones in the Wii U version you haven't seen in the 3DS. The circlepad for the 3DS is different too and you can use the 3DS as a controller for the Wii U version if you prefer - but I didn't feel like the controls were different enough to make a difference.

Also if you and your friends play with customization, you can customize a character on the 3DS and import it when you play on the Wii U.

You can also choose the palette swap/alternate costume you want on the 3DS version which owns. Green and White Mage Robin all day every day. :allears:

Also, Luigi vs. Marth! Luigi wins, and not by a low margin either.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That Marth is super terrible though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

RyokoTK posted:

No he's not and if you think he is you're probably M2K jizzing on bedsheets right this moment.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

RyokoTK posted:

PantsBandit posted:

No he's not and if you think he is you're probably M2K jizzing on bedsheets right this moment.

He throws out up smashes that cost him stocks both times he does it and a couple times throws neutral airs that whiff when a different attack would hit. Also he doesn't go for throws much. Super terrible might be a stretch but he's got some learning to do.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah "super terrible" was hyperbole (I thought that was kinda obvious :rolleye:) but he made a lot of dumb mistakes that someone more competent would not have done (like not grabbing, seriously).

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

.TakaM posted:

when I use Charizard it either results in them quitting or also using Charizard for the next match, I think he's my favourite heavyweight

I love playing Charizard as well but I'm not very good with him. Probably about 90% of my deaths are from charging off the side of the stage or getting knocked off at a low percentage and screwing up getting back on. How do I not suck at playing him??

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
Hey guys! I'm the casualest of casuals at Smash and a really bad player but I've taking to heart a lot of general tips I've found here. Does anyone here know how to get better with Mr. Game & Watch? He seems to be the one that clicks with me the most (along with Duck Hunt), so I would love to know how to take better advantage of his abilities.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I love playing Charizard as well but I'm not very good with him. Probably about 90% of my deaths are from charging off the side of the stage or getting knocked off at a low percentage and screwing up getting back on. How do I not suck at playing him??

ABFB: Always Be Flare Blitzing

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Siselmo posted:

Hey guys! I'm the casualest of casuals at Smash and a really bad player but I've taking to heart a lot of general tips I've found here. Does anyone here know how to get better with Mr. Game & Watch? He seems to be the one that clicks with me the most (along with Duck Hunt), so I would love to know how to take better advantage of his abilities.

Never not use Judgment because sometimes you get a 9 and it's the sickest thing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

Never not use Judgment because sometimes you get a 9 and it's the sickest thing.

I love Mr. Game and Watch though even as a super-casual player I know that he'll never be the greatest. Judgment is fun (forward special) but you only get a usable effect about half the time. Of course that one of ten times that it's an insta-kill is a great way to annoy your friends. The frying pan (special) is best used to just harass people. Mr. G&W is so floaty and light with his jumping that I get a lot of mileage out of the key (aerial down smash), and using it with the trampoline launch (up special). If you can mash that button fast, just the regular spray can (neutral attack) can catch and tie people up for a while. He doesn't have a lot of reach, but the best attack for that is usually going to be the double hammers (down smash).

More generally, he's super light, fast, and floaty so make those advantages. Hit and run. Drop from the sky, catch them in a follow up attack, launch yourself out of there again.

Maybe not the best way to use Game and Watch, but it's how I do it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm a poo poo player who can't win even while following basic instructions. How do I get to eight Trophy Rushes with Dr. Mario? I've been using the strategy said earlier in the thread (Beam Sword), and I can only get to seven at best, and then I run out of time.

My Dr. Mario custom has +36 attack, -35 defense, +31 speed and Beam Sword equipped, basic moveset. Any changes I should make? Any strategy?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I've actually seen Sheik the most in For Glory matches. She generally appears to be beating the poo poo out of me but then can't actually finish the job and I eventually win. I had some epic Robin vs. Sheik matches earlier where, at its most hilarious, she got me 100% while I literally had not hit her but then I finally landed a few hits and KO'd her first.

I'm really starting to settle on playing Robin lately. Anyone have any good tips I should be remembering. I feel like I use all her moves except up smash (covers such a narrow area and isn't particularly great when it does hit) and her down air, which I'm not sure I've ever hit anyone with. Majority of my kills are down smash or forward smash with the occasional fully charged thoron.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm a poo poo player who can't win even while following basic instructions. How do I get to eight Trophy Rushes with Dr. Mario? I've been using the strategy said earlier in the thread (Beam Sword), and I can only get to seven at best, and then I run out of time.

My Dr. Mario custom has +36 attack, -35 defense, +31 speed and Beam Sword equipped, basic moveset. Any changes I should make? Any strategy?

You don't need speed and you don't really need defense either. I rolled with two attack pieces (one being the Beam Sword) and one being defense so I wouldn't get completely wrecked if I missed a bomb. Not dying is really super important, so staying mobile and hitting bombs right away is top priority; hitting the gold blocks is second.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

How much lag are you guys getting in online play? I almost can't play online because of the lag but when I go to the wifi setup screen it shows full signal.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Huge lag in some matches and basically 0 in others. If I get more than a tiny bit of lag, I leave the room and rejoin to fight someone else. Sometimes when I first enter a match it is so laggy I can't imagine that the person on the other side is always playing like that, so maybe it's just the connection between us.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I played against a guy in For Glory once. Our first match, ignoring the fact that he completely stomped me, went pretty smoothly. No complaints. Second match there's a minor lag spike and he immediately and purposely SDs twice and leaves the match as fast as possible.

The big baby attitude that I can only imagine he had (literally-- we didn't voice chat so I'm just assuming) kinda soured me on For Glory and I mostly just play with friends.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaubocks posted:

I played against a guy in For Glory once. Our first match, ignoring the fact that he completely stomped me, went pretty smoothly. No complaints. Second match there's a minor lag spike and he immediately and purposely SDs twice and leaves the match as fast as possible.

The big baby attitude that I can only imagine he had (literally-- we didn't voice chat so I'm just assuming) kinda soured me on For Glory and I mostly just play with friends.

Some people just don't like playing with lag and would rather get out early before the game turns into Super Slideshow Bros for Wii U. :shrug:

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
If we are still taking NNID's:

Heavy Sigh - Wonder-Sigh

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Siselmo posted:

Down throw -> side b.

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

Peach is probably solidly mid tier, but I appreciate her for who she is.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

A cool drat horse posted:

Peach is probably solidly mid tier, but I appreciate her for who she is.

I dunno. Her stupid turnip has priority over tons of poo poo. She can stop my bowser jr's clown car in its tracks

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Smoking_Dragon posted:

Charizard is about building a bit of damage and then gibbing people with either his smashes or Flare Blitz. His moves hit very hard and he has long range, but his abilities have significant recovery, so you need to be very careful with spacing and timing or you'll get punished repeatedly.

On the ground, his jab combo is very fast and knocks people upward on the third hit, allowing you to combo into a forward air. His forward tilt is very fast and has nice range/knockback, and his down tilt has excellent range but isn't quite as fast and has a bit more recovery. His up tilt is decent for juggling, but in most cases I use the up smash instead, as it's wider and sends people higher, but the up tilt is faster if you don't think you have enough time to use the smash. His dash attack covers a decent amount of ground but has significant recovery, so be careful when you use it.

In the air, his forward air is quite fast, and if you sweet spot it, it can kill at a fairly low percentage, especially if they're off the side of the stage. His down air is a down spike, but you need to hit with the tip of his foot and the timing is weird, so I'd practice hitting things with its tiny hitbox before trying to put it into practice much. His neutral air is sort of like ROB's, but rotates a bit slower. I like to use it at first to bait my enemies into expecting it, then switch to forward air, which is harder to hit with but far more punishing. His back air is excellent and can kill at higher percents fairly reliably, but I find it easier to whiff with than his forward air, so I use it sparingly.

His smashes, especially his forward smash, can kill at very low percentages, especially when charged, but they all have fairly slow recovery and are easily punishable if you whiff. His grab has great range and his forward and back throws fling people a long way. I've gotten kills with his back throw many times.

For specials, I use flamethrower as a space building or edge guarding tool. For building space, I like to do a short hop forward or backward and start flamethrower in the air. If they try to jump around it or over it, you can angle it up or down and hit them anyway. Ideally, you want to keep the opponent far enough away that you can hit them with tilts but they can't retaliate, but if they try to rush in closer, you use your jab combo or rock smash. Rock smash has super armor, so even if they run in and hit you they're still getting a face full of boulder (the fragments that fly off of the broken rock also deal damage, giving the move a bit more range). I also sometimes use Rock Smash to help me recover or land without getting juggled, as they try to just smack you from below while rock smash is going, you'll eat their attack without flinching and then bonk them right on the noggin with that big ol' rock.

Then of course there's Flare Blitz. It kills at fairly low percentages, particularly on light characters, but they shield it you'll smack against it and land right on your rear end. Also, if you whiff and fly off the edge it may be difficult to recover (make sure to get the most possible distance out of your two jumps if you do this, as your up air covers very little horizontal space). I find that this move is most effective if you don't spam it, but weave it into your combos and/or movement at irregular times, so that your opponent can't easily predict when you're going to do it. You can also use it to recover or avoid an edge guard, since it covers so much horizontal space. **BEWARE** the fact that some projectiles, e.g. Mario's Fireball or Link's boomerang can stop Flare Blitz dead if you run into them near the start of the move (it seems to have more momentum the longer you fly before impact).

As for his up-air, it covers a decent amount of vertical space but not much horizontal. It deals damage, but I virtually never actually use it to attack.

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free
Alright since everyones been asking me for my Shulk write-up

I know I know, but we all have busy plates to fill

Anyway, Here It iS:

With Shulk, I like to make sure I get stale moves for all the attacks I want to hit people and especially
finish them with, you want to accidentally let the opponents get to 250% only to kill them with a single
fair after you come back from a back slash SD.

Also, activating Shield when you would have settled for anything else, is recommended.

Trying to activate buster or smash when its too soon to do that is also a pro move

always, always, stand still doing usmash over and over, except when it will hit someone

that's it, i'm mreally congealing it

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's never really too soon to activate Buster. In fact, sometimes it's way too late.

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's never really too soon to activate Buster. In fact, sometimes it's way too late.

i meant trying to activate it during its cooldown

but yeah, activating it when I wanted Smash is another gripe

that said I love Shulk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I was watching people play For Glory on stream last night and making fun of Shulks that would use Smash when the enemy is at 0%, or using Shield when he was at low%, or using Jump... ever.

Basically using anything but Buster and Smash. Just use Buster and Smash.

• Locked thread