Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Bad Munki posted:

Uhhh hello do you know literally nothing about splitting wood???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oadLuyIyjlI

I had no idea what to expect when clicking on this, but it did not disappoint. Now I need to go watch this other guy's videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

If folks are interested in some cordless power tools the Dewalt DCK421D2 pack is the amazon deal of the day today for $250.

DCD780 20V MAX 1/2-inch drill/driver
DCF885 20V MAX 1/4-inch impact driver
DCS391 20V MAX 6-1/2-inch circular saw
DCL040 20V MAX LED worklight
2 20V MAX lithium-ion battery packs

It uses the new battery packs, which I'm not sure how good they are. I'm thinking about buying this set. I do need a new cordless drill and the saw sounds good. Anyone have a reason not to get it?

ADHDan
Sep 22, 2006

A genuinely kind goon who goes out of his way to help others. These traits can't be diminished by the fact that he actually likes Minneapolis.

Graniteman posted:

If folks are interested in some cordless power tools the Dewalt DCK421D2 pack is the amazon deal of the day today for $250.

DCD780 20V MAX 1/2-inch drill/driver
DCF885 20V MAX 1/4-inch impact driver
DCS391 20V MAX 6-1/2-inch circular saw
DCL040 20V MAX LED worklight
2 20V MAX lithium-ion battery packs

It uses the new battery packs, which I'm not sure how good they are. I'm thinking about buying this set. I do need a new cordless drill and the saw sounds good. Anyone have a reason not to get it?

I have that drill/driver, impact driver, and saw and I really like them. I have some issues with bits slipping in the chuck of the drill/driver, but otherwise I think that's a pretty good deal. But I also have the old batteries that (I think) are more powerful and have a longer run time, and I also have a different charger that displays more errors and charges faster.

You can get the drill/driver and impact driver combo kit at Home Depot for $150 on sale, so you're basically getting the circular saw and the worklight for $100. If you want a cordless circular saw, it's a good deal. The saw is pretty good, but it drains batteries fast when making thick or long cuts. I use it for one-offs, and haul out my old corded craftsman if I have a lot of sawing to do.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Is it 20v or just USA 18v dick waving like the 10.4v 12v stuff?

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

ADHDan, thanks for the info. I think I'll pick it up.

Cakefool posted:

Is it 20v or just USA 18v dick waving like the 10.4v 12v stuff?

From what I've read it's dick waving. Or, more charitably, they are trying to differentiate from their existing 18V line. But the reality is that under load they operate at 18V from what I've seen online.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

So this thing is total poo poo, right?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If it's the same as the super cheap £60-90 boxes you can get in the UK (looks like it) I wouldn't give it to my son for toys.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

tater_salad posted:

On my list next is one o them thurr fancy oscillating tools.

I really like mine. I've used it probably a dozen times in the last 6 months, and each use was made way easier by the tool existing. It was super useful for plunge cuts on trim in my house while I was tiling, and for undercutting the door jambs for tile. It also zipped off some too-long toilet bolts in a jiffy.
I remember someone in this thread saying that he super hated using his, but it is super helpful if you're using it for the right task and don't already have a huge stable of specialized tools (like, say, a jamb saw)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I know how awesome they are I've used one for the same mentioned deck project where we had to notch some wood and it worked like a champ ive had several projects where having one would have saved time.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 3, 2014

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

tater_salad posted:

I know how awesome they are I've used one for the same mentioned deck project where we had to notch some wood and it worked like a champ ive had several projects where having one would have saved time.

It's a must have imo. I've used the ever living poo poo out of mine in the last year. There have been a few projects where I really don't know how I would have made the cuts I had to without that tool.

This is one also where I can definitely recommend the HF version. I have their variable speed one and it is awesome. Really the only thing you're giving up vs some of the way more expensive brands is a quick connect for the attachments.

There is sort of a downside to oscillating tools though, the blades burn out fast and are god drat expensive.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Speaking of which, Lowes put the Porter Cable Oscillating tool kit back on sale again for $50.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_591294-70-PCE606K_0__?productId=50158929

I bought this the last time it was on sale and used it to help install a new front door, it was great.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Sointenly posted:

It's a must have imo. I've used the ever living poo poo out of mine in the last year. There have been a few projects where I really don't know how I would have made the cuts I had to without that tool.

This is one also where I can definitely recommend the HF version. I have their variable speed one and it is awesome. Really the only thing you're giving up vs some of the way more expensive brands is a quick connect for the attachments.

There is sort of a downside to oscillating tools though, the blades burn out fast and are god drat expensive.

We ended up buying the HF variable speed version earlier this year when we were redoing the grout in our bathroom tile. This plus a Dremel brand grout removal blade made really quick work of digging the grout out. It was a hell of a lot better than grinding it out by hand and pretty inexpensive.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'll be re-doing our floors and baseboards, which means I'll need a mitre saw. I'm really considering this Milwaukee one. Any thoughts on this one if my DIY needs are fairly simple?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Check out this one. http://www.homedepot.ca/product/12-inch-slide-compound-miter-saw/404325
I just bought it and it cuts absolutely perfect OOB. Unless you need/want the stand, I would buy the cheaper Dewalt. However the Milwaukie should be fine too.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

the spyder posted:

Check out this one. http://www.homedepot.ca/product/12-inch-slide-compound-miter-saw/404325
I just bought it and it cuts absolutely perfect OOB. Unless you need/want the stand, I would buy the cheaper Dewalt. However the Milwaukie should be fine too.
I'd definitely like a stand (although I'm sure that I can purchase it separately), but lately I've grown wary of Dewalt hardware. In my experience, their tools break easily, and although their customer service is quite good at repairing/replacing broken/faulty unit I'd prefer to avoid that kind of runaround.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 5, 2014

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Yeesh, the Ridgid contractor table saw is down to $300 now at HD Canada according to their latest flyer. I guess they must be clearing it out for next year's model.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Funny enough I have had the opposite experience lately. Dewalt seems to be better built then the Milwaukie gear I've used. That and I've burnt up a drill/impact/sawzall from them in the past few years. Parts were more then a new combo kit cost. Each his own.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Anyone looking for a cheap tool box should check these out: http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-36-in-Metal-Rolling-and-Top-Storage-Chest-DWMT73679-78/205394946?N=5yc1vZc2gk
Great deal for a 36" top and bottom box IMO.

ADHDan
Sep 22, 2006

A genuinely kind goon who goes out of his way to help others. These traits can't be diminished by the fact that he actually likes Minneapolis.
I got quite a few new tools in the last month or two. First, I picked up a Grizzly jointer and table saw, both on sale, to upgrade my R4512 and my not having a jointer:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-46-Jointer/G0654
http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-3-HP-240V-Cabinet-Left-Tilting-Table-Saw/G1023RL

My shop is tiny so I don't have room for a much bigger jointer, and I'm ok being limited to 6" or else running wider boards through a planer sled. I contemplated getting the 1023RLW with cast-iron router table, but I decided against it for a few reasons. First, the 1023RL was already cheaper, with cheaper shipping, plus it was on sale for $100 less than normal. Second, I have a Bosch RA1181 router table which, while not perfect, is good enough and sized to fit in a table saw wing - so I did just that. And third, I wanted to put the saw on the Shop Fox D3757 base instead of the 2057A, and I was concerned that the cast iron table would make it too heavy for the 3757. I then screwed my 1181 router fence to the back of the 1023 fence with some angle iron and knurled knobs (for easy removal), and I built an outfeed table using some flip up shelf brackets. I really like this setup - especially having a router fence on the back of a Beisemeyer clone. Makes it really easy to get perfectly straight, dialed-in dadoes and such.

I also picked up a used Craftsman 12" bandsaw for $100, including fence, miter gauge, and mobile base, in almost-new condition. Tuned it up and put a Timber Wolf 3tpi blade on it and it resawed 6" walnut without a hiccup. It's one of those ubiquitous Craftsman models that always show up by the dozen on Craigslist, except this one was owned by a guy who kept it in perfect condition and saved all the accessories.

Finally, last Friday I saw Home Depot had a sale on Triton 3.25 hp routers for $225 - the same one that's now back up to $360: http://www.homedepot.ca/product/3-1-4hp-dual-mode-precision-plunge-router/812525. But I didn't want to order it from Home Depot so I called up Rockler and they agreed to give me a $25 gift card to cover the price difference (Rockler sells it for $250). I can't wait to convert this thing to non-plunge and pop it in my router table.

I also picked up some more deadman-style foot pedals and an on/off pedal from Harbor Freight. I use the deadman pedals for my router table and hand-held router, and the on/off for my bandsaw. For $12, they work great and make me feel a lot safer when routing. And I found some used clamps - Irwin 6" quick-grips and Wolfcraft 2" spring clamps - for about $1-$2 each, used but almost new condition. Just in time for the massive number of small glue-ups I've got planned for making some end-grain coasters from scrap wood.

Edit: pictures, with bonus shop cat. (I've also since replaced the melamine outfeed table with a deeper plywood top.)

ADHDan fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 8, 2014

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

the spyder posted:

Anyone looking for a cheap tool box should check these out: http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-36-in-Metal-Rolling-and-Top-Storage-Chest-DWMT73679-78/205394946?N=5yc1vZc2gk
Great deal for a 36" top and bottom box IMO.

That's pretty bitchen. I wish I had room in the garage for it.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
So been wanting to acquire my first corded/cordless drill/impact driver kit ever, have narrowed my search down to Makita or Milwaukee, leaning more towards the Milwaukee side, that being said out of these two choices which would you purchase?

M18 Fuel 18-Volt Brushless Lithium-Ion Hammer Drill/Impact Driver XC Combo Kit - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...95?N=5yc1vZca8n
or
18-Volt LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Combo Kit - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-LXT-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-Combo-Kit-2-Piece-XT257M/205365066?N=5yc1vZca8n

Home Depot is currently running a promo on both of those kits, in which you get $150 of credit (at the time of purchase) to go towards either another bare tool or battery pack, was thinking of getting either a reciprocating saw or circular saw as both kits are coming with two batteries as it is.

So which would you grab, would like to "get the right thing the first time," but I think at this point, this would be getting into a brand loyalty battle.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I love my Makita LXT gear. The light is the best I have used and you can never have enough batteries. It's held up to just over a years abuse building our shop and all my random projects. On the other hand, I have a Milwaukee 1/4" impact that's held up just as well. Less power, but it was $99 on clearance. The local repair shop hates Dewalt/Porter Cable, claims they are built to be unserviceable and sells Bosch/Makita.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 10, 2014

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

the spyder posted:

I love my Makita LXT gear. The light is the best I have used and you can never have enough batteries. It's held up to just over a years abuse building our shop and all my random projects. On the other hand, I have a Milwaukee 1/4" impact that's held up just as well. Less power, but it was $99 on clearance. The local repair shop hates Dewalt/Porter Cable, claims they are built to be unserviceable and sells Bosch/Makita.

Seems I am on the right track then, I was considering the XR series that Dewalt has right now before I started looking into reviews on the Milwuakees, my use for whatever kit I do get would be for the occasional "weekend warrior" projects.
Never really even thought of the "light production" aspect of a tool, guess that would be one thing I would think about when I need it though. =P

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Bone_Enterprise posted:

Seems I am on the right track then, I was considering the XR series that Dewalt has right now before I started looking into reviews on the Milwuakees, my use for whatever kit I do get would be for the occasional "weekend warrior" projects.
Never really even thought of the "light production" aspect of a tool, guess that would be one thing I would think about when I need it though. =P

I think quality wise it's a wash, Milwaukee / Makita / Dewalt all make great 18v equipment, I dont think one is any better than the other.

What's more important is the variety of tools that they offer in the lineup. Milwaukee has been the leader in the club house for some time now, but I'm noticing that the other big company's are making strides to catch up.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Sointenly posted:

I think quality wise it's a wash, Milwaukee / Makita / Dewalt all make great 18v equipment, I dont think one is any better than the other.

What's more important is the variety of tools that they offer in the lineup. Milwaukee has been the leader in the club house for some time now, but I'm noticing that the other big company's are making strides to catch up.

On 12V you can't beat Milwaukee (and honestly the 12V fuel combo is better for most people than the 18V), but 18V Maikita claims the most variety (and has some pretty neat dual battery tools).

Look at what both tools lines offer, you can't go wrong with either.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
I have been using Makita cordless drills since 1991. They've never given me a reason to switch.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

asdf32 posted:

On 12V you can't beat Milwaukee (and honestly the 12V fuel combo is better for most people than the 18V), but 18V Maikita claims the most variety (and has some pretty neat dual battery tools).

I had 12v on the brain, good call.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Sointenly posted:

The problem with DeWalt is the limited selection. Milwaukee and Makita is where it's at. I'm a Makita guy, but if I could start over, I might switch to Milwaukee. More brushless, and some really nice tools that Makita isn't offering.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Sointenly posted:

I had 12v on the brain, good call.

Though Milwaukee seems still seems to be pumping out tools faster than anyone. Just noticed the Hole Hawg and a new 12V vac and radio (my 18V vac gets a ton of use around the house):

12V:

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

sharkytm posted:

The problem with DeWalt is the limited selection. Milwaukee and Makita is where it's at. I'm a Makita guy, but if I could start over, I might switch to Milwaukee. More brushless, and some really nice tools that Makita isn't offering.

Yea I have a couple bags worth of Dewalt 18v stuff. All really good tools, but if I had my way I'd trade it all in and start over with Milwakee like I did with my 12v stuff.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Meanwhile, I'm just over here, playing with my Craftsman 19.2V.... :/ I shouldn't complain though, Sears was smart enough to make their Lithium Ion battery packs backwards compatible with their existing tools, despite needing new chargers for them.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Tim Thomas posted:

I am currently working on turning a hf no 33 1/2 into a scrub plane and making a set of bench chisels.

Update: anyone who needs a cheap scrub/rough smooth plane should buy one of these for $10. I've used it to scrub about 25 board feet of walnut and am using it like a spokeshave on steroids on curved pieces. Little thing owns for taking off stupid amounts of stock. I'm tempted to try adding a chipbreaker as the mouth has started to clog when I'm hogging off about a 1/32 per pass.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I think I figured out my miter saw woes. I had adjusted everything ... EXCEPT the fence. I adjusted everything to the work surface, but not the fence. :doh: It was a little off on one side and as soon as I loosened the adjustment screw it snapped right into place. One more test cut was pretty drat near dead on. At least I have a nice fine finishing blade as well now. :unsmith:

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

asdf32 posted:

Fine Woodworking did a 12V drill/driver comparison in the most recent issue and the 12V Fuel 2594-22 ($260) was rated best overall with the Bosch CLPK22-120 ($175) and DeWalt DCK211S2 ($190) rated best value.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Thought this was the woodworking thread.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 14, 2014

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'll be re-doing my kitchen this Spring, and I'll need a laser level. But I don't know anything about them! Any recommended laser levels that you guys have found to be really helpful? I'm willing to spend good money on one, provided that it makes my cabinet replacements easier. I saw this Dewalt laser level on sale, but wasn't sure if it was the best option.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 14, 2014

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I bought the bosch 5 dot one and I definitely do NOT recommend it. It does this cool thing now where it just stops working for an hour or two.

Bagelsport
Nov 14, 2005

I picked up a doctor - he's good with a knife
Says anaesthetic's a waste
of his time
I use a Bosch cross-line at work and I'm perfectly happy with it. My 5 point laser is a PLS5 which costs about 4 times as much as the Bosch and I've never noticed much difference in quality or accuracy. I can't speak to the quality of the Dewalt laser but if I were going to buy one for myself I'd probably get the Bosch. CPO outlets has it for $100 after their coupon. Hooray contradicting user experiences!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I want to get a router, mainly for use in guitar-related projects. (Pickup cavities, rounding over body edges, etc.) Is there any reason to look at compact routers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I want to get a router, mainly for use in guitar-related projects. (Pickup cavities, rounding over body edges, etc.) Is there any reason to look at compact routers?

I would go with something from the Porter Cable 690/69x/690x series. Specifically, this:

http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-...er+cable+690+lr

The two reasons are that it is a very good router and that it seems to be the industry standard so every sort of aftermarket part/bushing/template/whatever is compatible with it so you don't have to use adapters.