Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I just got a 5S. Does anyone have recommendations for sites or sellers that have cute/reliable cases? I eat poo poo like this up (it's option 21 if I got the link wrong), but the reviews make the quality sound questionable. I don't need anything like a life-proof case, just something that can protect it from scratches and won't change the form factor too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
It's weird because it was working great prior to 8.1.1 for me. Playing around I found a position where it picks it up pretty quick. Weird though, my air 2 is working fine. I'll keep toying around with it. Maybe wait till 8.2 drops to see if there is some improvement otherwise head to the Apple Store.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Bum the Sad posted:

What about Sprint?

Do not get Sprint. My girlfriend has Sprint here in the Bay Area and her phone literally does not work. Dropped calls all the time and the 3G is so slow it's unreal. Lots of the time she'll have one or two bars of 2G while me on ATT has full LTE.

Sprint is a joke.

Squarb
Oct 19, 2005
I have Sprint in Seattle and it works well I have LTE everywhere I go and pay less for it then I would on any other carrier. If the area you live has good coverage they aren't that bad.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Confirming that Sprint was terrible in Tucson Az when I used to have them as recently as 2012.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Yeah we just swapped my fiancé onto my Verizon plan because Sprint doesn't work in Iowa City (or anywhere else in Iowa).

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Trip report from three days of owning a 6 Plus:

Loving the bigger screen and I'm not going back to a 6. The only thing that's been tough is being unable to reply to texts one-handed but it'll actually keep me from texting while driving so that's an added bonus. (Stay off your phone when you're on the road, kids.) I do feel like I'm gonna drop it frequently so I think I'm going to get some sort of thin rubberized case for it. Any recommendations?

Thanks to whoever it was who recommended I try the 6 Plus instead of just going for a 6!

Edit: Brock Landers, it was you! Thanks :)

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I had no idea that if you forget which finger "Finger 1" or whatever in the TouchID settings is, putting your finger on the sensor will highlight the matching row (assuming it matches any saved fingerprint). That's pretty nifty.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

kitten smoothie posted:

I had no idea that if you forget which finger "Finger 1" or whatever in the TouchID settings is, putting your finger on the sensor will highlight the matching row (assuming it matches any saved fingerprint). That's pretty nifty.

Whaaaaaaaat....

[ed] drat that is clever.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

IllegallySober posted:

Trip report from three days of owning a 6 Plus:

Loving the bigger screen and I'm not going back to a 6. The only thing that's been tough is being unable to reply to texts one-handed but it'll actually keep me from texting while driving so that's an added bonus. (Stay off your phone when you're on the road, kids.) I do feel like I'm gonna drop it frequently so I think I'm going to get some sort of thin rubberized case for it. Any recommendations?

Thanks to whoever it was who recommended I try the 6 Plus instead of just going for a 6!

Edit: Brock Landers, it was you! Thanks :)

Glad it's working out. I'm using the elago SlimFit 2. I've also had the Spigen Perfect Fit Thin but the bottom dug into my pinky when I used one hand. The Apple silicone case is also very nice but I don't think it's worth $40 when the other two can be had for $10-12.

On the one handed use, when you get a grippy case you should be able to hold the phone in the pocket of your hand. Your three fingers will be halfway on the back while the phone rests on your pinky. It's reasonably secure and your thumb can reach across the entire bottom half of the screen.

korora
Sep 3, 2011

kitten smoothie posted:

That's also a good way to a) test the fingerprints you're having trouble unlocking the phone with and b) add more scan data to hopefully improve matching performance.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

Why aren't you guys renaming them to "Left Index" or something

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
^^ Right? That was the first thing I did.

serebralassazin posted:

Anyone else notice Touch ID becoming way more finicky since the last update? Wiped the sensor, washed my hands. I deleted and added my thumb again but that didn't seem to do anything. It was working great before so don't think it's a hardware issue.

My mother's Touch ID (iphone 6, 16gb) completely poo poo the bed after the recent update. When trying to add a finger (she never set up touch ID before this update) the fingerprint red lines flip the gently caress out, jittering around and flickering for a second or two, before returning an error about the finger not being fully on the sensor. We tried it with multiple hands over thanksgiving, no turkey.

A PC Game
May 7, 2007
I have a dead pixel on an iPhone 6 that I just ordered through Verizon. Can I get it exchanged at the Apple Store or do I need to go through the carrier?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apple will do it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Best part of using an iPhone is not having to deal with the loving service provider for month-long warranty repair or exchange processes through some shady-rear end insurance company.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Squarb posted:

I have Sprint in Seattle and it works well I have LTE everywhere I go and pay less for it then I would on any other carrier. If the area you live has good coverage they aren't that bad.

do you live in one of the spark cities where they actually have 4g? my service is ok, no call issues and kinda spotty 3g data, i just upgraded to an iphone 6 from android i'm hoping my service stays that way.

also tell me a real hardcore badass case to get, the otterbox defender i have now is amazing but i hear it has issues on the iphone?

Stoic Commie fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 1, 2014

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

Still waiting on the 6+ Lifeproof :f5:

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Grabbing a 6 with a life proof this week. Does the Touch ID still work with the life proof?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Any good 6 cases on sale for Cyber Monday?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Stoic Commie posted:

also tell me a real hardcore badass case to get, the otterbox defender i have now is amazing but i hear it has issues on the iphone?
I don't know about the 6 but with the 6plus the screen protector is poo poo apparently and doesn't sit flush. People have just been ripping it out and using the case without it.

Squarb
Oct 19, 2005

Stoic Commie posted:

do you live in one of the spark cities where they actually have 4g? my service is ok, no call issues and kinda spotty 3g data, i just upgraded to an iphone 6 from android i'm hoping my service stays that way.

Yes Seattle is a Spark city.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Squarb posted:

Yes Seattle is a Spark city.

Really? Hm, I have dead spots in Seattle of no data service whatsoever, and then a quarter mile later I'm at full strength LTE.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
If my credit card is reissued because of fraud, do I need to set up Apple Pay again? I can't wait until NFC is everywhere, because I've had my cards reissued three times this year.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I can't seem to find any solution to a very common issue I've had across several phones:

Call comes in, screen lights up, no amount of swiping across will actually answer. It doesn't even move the slider at all. Only happens every once in a while, usually when someone important is calling.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

I can't seem to find any solution to a very common issue I've had across several phones:

Call comes in, screen lights up, no amount of swiping across will actually answer. It doesn't even move the slider at all. Only happens every once in a while, usually when someone important is calling.

I've had that problem too. I can't figure out what triggers it, although I've determined that it apparently only happens on calls I really need to take, and no amount of frantic swiping will let me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kobayashi posted:

If my credit card is reissued because of fraud, do I need to set up Apple Pay again? I can't wait until NFC is everywhere, because I've had my cards reissued three times this year.

Yeah, each card is unique. I already ran into that problem, except I found out before the email even hit my inbox that there was a "message in your account, please log in to read and don't follow links to our site from emails". The transaction got declined and I had to select another card in my Passport.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Meh.con has some nice Xmas gift speaker docks for the iPhone

Copy/paste of my post from the meh thread
More speakers but I have one from previous sale and they're great for iPhones. Nice loud and clear sound quite surprising considering the size.

I don't use the actual dock but it has a usb slot in the back which charges your phone and plays music through the Usb. Nice feature great for bathroom. Works with the 6

Welp fyi and all that

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

Press the home button and it should enable the touch screen again. Don't kno why it happens but that sorts it for me.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

I had that problem with my 4s for the last 6 months or so of its use, maybe 10-15% of the time. Very awkward to call someone back and say "whoops my phone didn't let me answer sorry"

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Neurophonic posted:

Press the home button and it should enable the touch screen again. Don't kno why it happens but that sorts it for me.

Never tried that, not sure why. I will next time and report back.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Going through my settings and setting up iCloud Family Sharing for the first time. Is the sharing retroactive? Like if I set myself up as the "Family organizer" now, do I get access to my wife's iTunes content? Or does it mean that I just pay for all her stuff moving forward?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Minidust posted:

Going through my settings and setting up iCloud Family Sharing for the first time. Is the sharing retroactive? Like if I set myself up as the "Family organizer" now, do I get access to my wife's iTunes content? Or does it mean that I just pay for all her stuff moving forward?

It's retroactive. You can see everything she's bought.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
How do I sync ALL my contacts with icloud? For some reason only half of it is synced, and I'm unwilling to re-add hundreds of contacts

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

kitten smoothie posted:

It's gonna suck when she finds his download of grindr. Or her Ashley Madison app.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

kitten smoothie posted:

That's what I figured, thanks! Will this take effect on an account level if her phone hasn't been updated to ios8 yet? I keep nagging her to do that.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

How do I sync ALL my contacts with icloud? For some reason only half of it is synced, and I'm unwilling to re-add hundreds of contacts

Are the unsynced contacts on another CardDAV/address book service, like Google or Exchange? Those should not and will not be synced to iCloud.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Minidust posted:

That's what I figured, thanks! Will this take effect on an account level if her phone hasn't been updated to ios8 yet? I keep nagging her to do that.

I believe so, although she may well need to be on iOS 8 to actually be able to accept the invitation to join your family account. I can't entirely remember how the invite/accept workflow worked.

What I do remember is that when my wife accepted the invite, she showed up on my active family sharing list immediately, but I could not immediately access her list of purchases. It took maybe an hour for the list to actually populate. Maybe it was just iOS 8.0 bugs or launch day issues when I did mine, but if this happens to you and you think you hosed something up, you probably didn't.

heldicus
Oct 27, 2004

:stare:............:byodood:

Amber Alert posted:

I had that problem with my 4s for the last 6 months or so of its use, maybe 10-15% of the time. Very awkward to call someone back and say "whoops my phone didn't let me answer sorry"

Happened so often on my RAZR Maxx I thought it was a loving feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Neurophonic posted:

This happens on literally every single capacitative touchscreen phone I have ever used from iPhone OG to iPhone 6 and a bunch of android devices. My theory is that the touch screen does some sort of self-calibration every time the phone is woken up which is messed up by resting a part of your anatomy on the screen at just the right time.