Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I mean Scotland not the USA. I have a university class just now that is about how Computing Science is taught in high schools, and its real bad to see how they are at the tail end of reforming the content, but still they do all programming in VB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Forgall posted:

I'm actually in similar situation in that I'm looking for remote work, and wouldn't mind low-ish wage as long as it's livable. I'd be curious to hear about how it works out for you.

don't take a cut to work remote. take a cut maybe because you get other things, or maybe a longer probationary rate, but don't take a permanent cut in salary for working remotely.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Valeyard posted:

I mean Scotland not the USA. I have a university class just now that is about how Computing Science is taught in high schools, and its real bad to see how they are at the tail end of reforming the content, but still they do all programming in VB

when i were a kid it was bbc basic

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

tef posted:

There are still a lot of places here that forgo VB for True BASIC

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

theres a lot of stuff in vs that sucks. no maven, back+forward buttons on ur mouse, no maven, intellisense is garbage compared to eclipse autocomplete, nuget is poo poo, and also theres no maven.

why use maven when you have Team Foundation Server? it even supports git!

and apparently you can use maven with visual studio, the instructions have the most appropriate image too!

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

tef posted:

don't take a cut to work remote. take a cut maybe because you get other things, or maybe a longer probationary rate, but don't take a permanent cut in salary for working remotely.
Way things are going in my country, my old salary is now below US minimum wage once converted to dollars, and it's only going to get worse :suicide:
I'm curious about how cheap are companies from US/other western countries when hiring remote workers from third world shitholes. I mean, they wouldn't be doing that if that wasn't saving them money, but just how exploitative are they?

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

can a better programmer explain to me the difference between using type erasure to implement generics and... whatever the converse is

what little I understand is that the type erasure step is like the compiler using the generic definition like a template with the generic types punched out or some poo poo

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tef posted:

bbc the radio and tv people?

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

triple sulk posted:

Speaking of C# I'm most likely going to take an offer for a role where I'd be using it. The money's bad for the industry because of where the company is based (it's not in the US; it's still a very livable wage) but for personal reasons I'm stuck with remote work right now which limits my options. At the very least I wouldn't have use Ruby and I've legitimately wanted to get into C# for a while.

You all can laugh at me now or tell me to kill myself I guess.

c# is fantastic you should not kill yourself yet.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tfs is not a maven replacement

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

prefect posted:

bbc the radio and tv people?

and bbc the microcomputer, yep

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Micro

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

triple sulk posted:

The money's bad for the industry because of where the company is based (it's not in the US; it's still a very livable wage) but for personal reasons I'm stuck with remote work right now which limits my options.

Sounds good enough

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

AWWNAW posted:

can a better programmer explain to me the difference between using type erasure to implement generics and... whatever the converse is

what little I understand is that the type erasure step is like the compiler using the generic definition like a template with the generic types punched out or some poo poo
Type erasure is used in Java and it means that JVM doesn't know anything about generics, and once you compile your code your ArrayList<T> is just ArrayList of Objects, with typecasts auto-inserted where necessary. This also means (afaik) that for generic containers of primitive types boxing/unboxing has to happen. Not that familiar with Java.

Other approach is called reified generics and it's one .net uses. .net runtime knows what the actual type of object in your List<T> is, and you can get that information if you need it.

Forgall fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 2, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

triple sulk posted:

Speaking of C# I'm most likely going to take an offer for a role where I'd be using it. The money's bad for the industry because of where the company is based (it's not in the US; it's still a very livable wage)

so you are being reverse-outsourced

you're gonna live in a major city in a high-cost country, and work for a software firm that pays peanuts and doesn't particularly care about your experience, overseas

this does not sound like a very good deal

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
someone buy bsd a ferengi av tia

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
don't use VS without resharper

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so you are being reverse-outsourced

you're gonna live in a major city in a high-cost country, and work for a software firm that pays peanuts and doesn't particularly care about your experience, overseas

this does not sound like a very good deal

In 6-7 months I will probably be living in a low(er) cost city. It's :canada:.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

neat I'll try that

another thing that sucks about vs is the solution explorer doesn't show which files have compile errors and the text editor doesn't have the little red marks in the margin to show where errors are. the errors list window isn't nearly as useful

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also it doesn't detect a lot of errors until you build unlike eclipse which is like always building and checking ur code.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

HTML5 posted:

don't use VS without resharper

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

but vs is free and resharper costs money

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Series DD Funding posted:

a public company hired me to make accounting software. any tips for doing it all in an excel spreadsheet?

the excel api is trash and the documentation is even worse. idk what sort of thing your guys want, but there's a good chance it'll be a plugin which does stuff to an open workbook. don't make the mistakes we did and have sheets which have both input options and outputs on them, or encourage users to mess around with layout and formatting on those sheets. Once they start using them like that you'll have to take account of all their hosed up layout needs and they'll make you format it all automatically too.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 2, 2014

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
hello friends please weigh in on the advisability of moving from back-end java development to front-end html5 and flex stuff wrt career poo poo

right now I'm team lead in an area where there will be less focus (i.e. a smaller team) next year whereas the UI stuff is getting more attention/people so leading that would be better in terms of progress within the company. Buuuut thinking ahead to future jobs, everything I've read indicates that front end work doesn't pay as well so it seems pointless to rack up experience with it

p.s. I've never done UI stuff before !!

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

hello friends please weigh in on the advisability of moving from back-end java development to front-end html5 and flex stuff wrt career poo poo

right now I'm team lead in an area where there will be less focus (i.e. a smaller team) next year whereas the UI stuff is getting more attention/people so leading that would be better in terms of progress within the company. Buuuut thinking ahead to future jobs, everything I've read indicates that front end work doesn't pay as well so it seems pointless to rack up experience with it

no dont

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
i have been doing ui stuff for the better part of a decade and i enjoy it. but i'm also a lovely programmer so back end dev is harder for me. and i am also not making six figures yet

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

flex?! you mean "resume poison?"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Bloody posted:

but vs is free and resharper costs money

I can get clean fill dirt for free too but I prefer to pay for actual food

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

you know the situation best but front-end html5 and flex stuff sounds like hell + career poison

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

rotor posted:

I can get clean fill dirt for free too but I prefer to pay for actual food

yeah lemme pay 150 dollars for a tool to arguably improve idiot spare time project work experience

lol, not

(intellisense is fine)

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

tef posted:

i kinda picked up a go program at work and it was "eh this isn't totally awful to use"

sounds like you just haven't found the awful parts yet

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

flex smells like adobe. I don't know if it is adobe or not but it triggers adobe in my brain so it probably does for others which means its bad.

btw I love knockout.js its so loving good. I just had to make a change to a thing and I was thinking it was gonna be hard but then I realized knockout made a easy way to do it and blam done in like 5 minutes.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

triple sulk posted:

In 6-7 months I will probably be living in a low(er) cost city. It's :canada:.

lol did your girlfriend leave you

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

rotor posted:

flex?! you mean "resume poison?"

yeah an EOL language which I would have to learn even while the company is phasing it out in favour of html5

literally the only reason I'm considering it is because it may lead to a better raise in the new year and maybe just to get some xp in UI stuff but it sounds bad long term so V:kiddo:V

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tef posted:

someone buy bsd a ferengi av tia

i'm not sure i like where you're going with this

the ferengi were an extraordinarily long series of thinly-veiled antisemitic jokes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
ui stuff is hard as gently caress. it's hard to learn. it's hard to work with. it requires you to dabble in other fields, e.g. graphic design.

and yet we do it, because it's important. it's the thing users interact with the most (duh)

so why is front-end so low on the totem pole for pay and respect?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
dear terrible programmer thread: if you're registering for a thing, then press 'log out' and get a dialog box saying 'are you sure? you're not registered yet!'. there are two options: cancel and continue. can you guess what each of them does?

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Bloody posted:

Someone should write a coffee script style thing for python that gives it c style syntax

just write your python in god's own language, lisp

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

front end loving blowwwwwwwws

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ui stuff is hard as gently caress. it's hard to learn. it's hard to work with. it requires you to dabble in other fields, e.g. graphic design.

and yet we do it, because it's important. it's the thing users interact with the most (duh)

so why is front-end so low on the totem pole for pay and respect?
the back end is a mysterious black box and who knows how the gently caress those needs made it work. the front end is just these buttons and boxes, it couldn't have taken more than 5 minutes to put it together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

AlsoD posted:

dear terrible programmer thread: if you're registering for a thing, then press 'log out' and get a dialog box saying 'are you sure? you're not registered yet!'. there are two options: cancel and continue. can you guess what each of them does?

continue goes to registration, cancel goes to registration.

• Locked thread