Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prawn Salad
Dec 7, 2010

I-I still think you're cool,
Onii-chan...

Blackheart posted:

Geez guys I think Master Roshi was abusing the kids with all that harsh training. (this one is probably actually true)

If spending time around Master Roshi isn't child abuse I don't know what is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Dolash posted:

Counterpoint - Isaac, and all things about Isaac.

Although I guess you're right that the comic is still written on broadly anime-ish lines, since it stars superpowered kids and has a lot of martial arts stuff going on. The comic pokes fun at these things, but still obeys them. Still yeah I don't think Zach's the kind of writer to turn around and make Grandpa's horrible treatment of Isabel justified in the long run, though he might realize he's been too hard on her at some point.

We don't really know if Isaac's...uh...issues...stem from his possession or existed beforehand. I suspect they existed beforehand. He seems like a kid who always wanted to be a hero, got his chance to be one, and basically is taking it up to 11.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

BottledBodhisvata posted:

We don't really know if Isaac's...uh...issues...stem from his possession or existed beforehand. I suspect they existed beforehand. He seems like a kid who always wanted to be a hero, got his chance to be one, and basically is taking it up to 11.

Can you even really call Isaac's lifestyle "having issues?" All that stuff he does is real. (Although, there does seem to be a qualitative difference in how Isaac relates to the world and how Spender does, but that could be a coincidence.)

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Rand Brittain posted:

Can you even really call Isaac's lifestyle "having issues?" All that stuff he does is real. (Although, there does seem to be a qualitative difference in how Isaac relates to the world and how Spender does, but that could be a coincidence.)

Isaac's devotion to justice and being heroic and righteous is clearly some kind of complex. Look at how Doorman's lecture affects him--Doorman is A) some weird spirit hiding out in town and B) not human and sees fit to lecture Isaac about the value of promises and poo poo and he eats it up because he's obsessed with being a good guy. His non-violence creed (or selective non-violence creed?) seems to also tie into this. Everyone on the team has a complex--Spender is obsessed with protecting Mayview, Isabelle is obsessed with proving herself to her grandfather, Max has a dead mom thing going on, Ed is your typical weird kid with weird kid poo poo, and Isaac wants to be...needs to be a hero. The fact that in his head is a most likely genocidal Storm God is not helping matters either.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blackheart posted:

Geez guys I think Master Roshi was abusing the kids with all that harsh training. (this one is probably actually true)

gently caress that noise, those kids could blow up entire cities by the time they were 12. That isn't abuse, that's ascension to Godhood.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

gently caress that noise, those kids could blow up entire cities by the time they were 12. That isn't abuse, that's ascension to Godhood.

Cities? They could blow up the freakin' moon.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Cities? They could blow up the freakin' moon.

It was mocking Piccolo that one time.

Besides that, there's the issue of Intent here; Roshi was training them due to potential and-or being paid in Playdood (and even went as far to make sure they wouldn't be spoiled by first time victory.)

Grandpa here is largely viewed as doing this for his own edification.

For being an immortal perverted rear end in a top hat, Roshi never used Goku or Krillin as a tool to further his goals.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 1, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ConanThe3rd posted:

Grandpa here is largely viewed as doing this for his own edification.

This seems like a stretch. We don't really know enough about Grandpa to determine WHY he is training the troops, but presumably he is/was one of the strongest, if not the strongest, Spectrals who is currently alive. The Consortium sees its work as vitally important and it may very well be: we have not yet seen a spirit that can harm people or objects in the physical world, but we do know that Forge could wield a physical hammer, so it is not beyond the realm of possibility that left to their own devices, some spirits could become powerful enough to actually cause real harm to real people. The Storm God's powers can be seen and felt by non-spectrals, right? That there is already an example and a justifcation for the existence of the Constortium, to prevent entities like that from running amock.

So, Grandpa may be harsh on Isabel whom we sympathize with, but he may very well see his training of the agents as a vital aspect of the protection of the world or whatever high-minded ideal the Consortium stands for. It may also stroke his ego, but for all we know, in his youth Grandpa wrestled Satan and Dragon-Jesus with his bare hands and chained them to a rock which he punted into the sun, thus saving the universe from the Hell Rapture. It does not seem unlikely that he has earned the respect he is given.

Isabel is, what, 11? Parents can be pretty tough on 11-year-olds. Grandpa is probably a lot better at spirit punching than he is at parenting.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The main difference is that Roshi was training two young men who were functioning as adults (even if it was at a ridiculously young age) and could leave whenever they wanted and become a baker or something. Isabel isn't an adult and treating her like one (and honestly, he isn't even really treating her like one, since if she was an actual subordinate he would probably have, like, asked what happened before deciding it was her fault) is abusive and counterproductive.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty
Grandpa there is supposed to come off as an overbearing dick, isn't he? He hasn't been nice to anyone at all so far.

I rather like how interestingly flawed everyone seems to be in this story.

Edit: It's also cute how 'Where's your book?' turns into 'Where's MY book' with this guy once he realizes it's lost.

VictorGrunn fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 2, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Father figure scolding child without hearing their side of the situation seems to of hit a note with a lot of people.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

And that note is called "NO gently caress YOU DAD!" (in this case granddad)

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

And there we go.

Man, what a lovely evening for everybody.
Negatives:
-Eightfold is gone.
-Isabel lost a friend she might not even have been fully aware of, and her grandpa's pissed at her, and she's gotten her arm chewed up.
-Ed ran away from his best friend exactly when she was counting on him.
-Isaac has been left in the dark by the guy who he specifically was hoping would clue him in.
-Max almost died, then almost died, then almost died, then had a painful flashback to the last time he saw his mother alive, then a train kissed him, then he almost died. Oh, and now his chances of finding his mom's ghost went from 'longshot' to 'borked.'
-Scrapdragon got stuck in a bubble and nearly spiritually Sent To A Nice Farm Just Out Of State.
-Boss Leader had her incredibly generous offer of a suitsie shot down with completely unnecessary venom.
-Spender was a giant failure all evening all the time at everything and he had this pointed out to him in brutally exacting detail.
-Forge got out-lectured, macerated, and jammed inside Johnny's torso.
-Those two whojamacallits and Zarei are stuck in the sticks.
-Johnny and his crew were pushed to the brink of sanity, slid off it, and are running in circles around the rim trying to find their way back in through the magic of R-rated movies.
-Francisco Guerra lost Isabel's HIS book.
-Two of the three skulldogs were fused into a nightmarish bloated sack of hellflesh and manglebone and are physically intimidating their third co-worker.

Positives:
-Agent Day found a comfy bed.
-Two jerks with creepy skull masks are doing aight.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Look at that wall of pictures. Isabel is loving intense.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

SlothfulCobra posted:

Look at that wall of pictures. Isabel is loving intense.

Is that her grandpa messing with her, or her trying immersion therapy on herself?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

That's not the wall of someone afraid of dogs trying to get less so, that's the wall of someone who loves dogs. My guess is that Francisco had Isabel's dog possessed in a misguided attempt to toughen her up and something went horribly wrong.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Akett posted:

That's not the wall of someone afraid of dogs trying to get less so, that's the wall of someone who loves dogs. My guess is that Francisco had Isabel's dog possessed in a misguided attempt to toughen her up and something went horribly wrong.
Isabel probably DID like dogs at one point, but the event that changed that is already known. Hopefully these don't need as many stitches.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Drakyn posted:

And there we go.

Negatives:
-Eightfold is gone.
-Isabel lost a friend she might not even have been fully aware of, and her grandpa's pissed at her, and she's gotten her arm chewed up.
-Isaac has been left in the dark by the guy who he specifically was hoping would clue him in.
-Max almost died, then almost died, then almost died, then had a painful flashback to the last time he saw his mother alive, then a train kissed him, then he almost died. Oh, and now his chances of finding his mom's ghost went from 'longshot' to 'borked.'
-Scrapdragon got stuck in a bubble and nearly spiritually Sent To A Nice Farm Just Out Of State.
-Boss Leader had her incredibly generous offer of a suitsie shot down with completely unnecessary venom.
-Spender was a giant failure all evening all the time at everything and he had this pointed out to him in brutally exacting detail.
-Johnny and his crew were pushed to the brink of sanity, slid off it, and are running in circles around the rim trying to find their way back in through the magic of R-rated movies.
-Two of the three skulldogs were fused into a nightmarish bloated sack of hellflesh and manglebone and are physically intimidating their third co-worker.

-The ghost train was lacerated, then cupid-brainwashed, then killed and soultrapped in a lantern.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Okay, I wasn't going to jump on the Francisco's a overbearing dick thing last page. But come on man, at least ask for enough of an explanation to find out your granddaugther is bleeding from a bite mark.

On a plus note, I doubt spirit bites carry diseases/bacteria. Still possible to get infected, but probably as not as bad.

By the way, in case no one mentioned it. Zach says in the comment that he's taking a 3 week or so break and we'll be on guest comics until then.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Bring on chapter 5! I am so ready for more Jeff.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Matlock Birthmark posted:

On a plus note, I doubt spirit bites carry diseases/bacteria.
What about ghost bacteria and microbial spirits?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm pretty sure ghost bites give you DIEabetes :iamafag:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Cat Mattress posted:

What about ghost bacteria and microbial spirits?

Well, I would assume a spectral could prevent spirit bacteria from multiplying too rapidly. Either that or maybe Chapter 6 is going to be about dealing with ghost-rabies. (Yes, I know, virus, not bacteria. Joke ha ha)

My fundamental point here is that I think Fransico is a jackass. I'd feel a bit more for him if he was lecturing while also bandaging her arm. Could at least understand him being overbearing if he was actually worried about her safety.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
We never did find out what was up with that giant bug.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

What's going on in Spender's kitchen

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm glad we've reached the halfway point in chapter 4.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I love what appears to be an homage to the xfiles in the Spender scene. I can't do the research to look it up and wouldn't know where to start (xfiles marathon noooo) but I'm pretty sure there is a recurring theme of Mulder poring over books work coffee in the background late into the night after a failure. Or it's just a general trope I've attributed to xfiles. Either way it's good.

Edit: also that's a really satisfying place to stop and I think it would be a fantastic place in the narrative to change POV. I'd love to see the next chapter from another main character, either one of Johnny's gang or some other underdeveloped main dude.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 2, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

I love what appears to be an homage to the xfiles in the Spender scene. I can't do the research to look it up and wouldn't know where to start (xfiles marathon noooo) but I'm pretty sure there is a recurring theme of Mulder poring over books work coffee in the background late into the night after a failure. Or it's just a general trope I've attributed to xfiles. Either way it's good.

The person hanging out in his kitchen does seem to be smoking...

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

IUG posted:

Looking at that scene again and again (on a phone) is so good. I'd missed the smoke and the tumbler because I was so taken by Queer Happenings. I really hope that scene is an intentional homage.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Poor P.J., forever doomed to not be a superhero/be eaten like yarn spaghetti by a weakened spirit in a tool.

Also Spender being serious is always nice to see, it does a good job reinforcing just how much he cares and how much work he puts into it, even if he's ultimately a failure whoops

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

That scene seems to have taken place years ago. I doubt Isabel simply hasn't gotten around to taking down all the dog pictures she had on her wall when she was seven. So probably a messed-up immersion therapy thing. Surround yourself with pictures of dogs looking cute and happy, to eliminate the scary association!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

IUG posted:

I'm not sure whether it's smoke from a mysterious stranger's cigarette, or steam from something boiling/cooking (some more coffee maybe), or, like, smoke from Spender's evening meal that he completely forgot about and that's going to set fire to his kitchen pretty soon.

I'm betting on boiling water though.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I was making a joke about The Smoking Man being in Spender's apartment.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Spender could be a smoker - we know he's always got a light.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Drakyn posted:

And there we go.

Negatives:
-Eightfold is gone.

Positives:

Whoa man, you're missing a lot of things there.

Drakyn posted:

And there we go.

Man, what a rad evening for JOHNNY.

Positives:
Johnny
Johnny
Johnny
Johnny
Johnny
Johnny's getting spectered up:woop:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Okay, I wasn't going to jump on the Francisco's a overbearing dick thing last page. But come on man, at least ask for enough of an explanation to find out your granddaugther is bleeding from a bite mark.

He didn't see, it was under her jacket. She probably isn't going to bother showing him, either. Isabel's a tough kid, for better or worse. Her grandpa pushes her, and this is what happens.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

SlothfulCobra posted:

He didn't see, it was under her jacket. She probably isn't going to bother showing him, either. Isabel's a tough kid, for better or worse. Her grandpa pushes her, and this is what happens.

Yes, it's true she probably didn't bother showing it too him. But he also didn't really ask if she was alright. So that's a pretty good view of their relationship.
Grandpa pushes her hard, doesn't show much concern for her well-being, thus she doesn't share stuff like when she's injured. And that's what further soured my view of Francisco.

Also, if this was real life untreated animal bites can turn really nasty/dangerous fairly rapidly.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

From what we've seen so far, if she showed him the injury he'd probably just chide her for being careless and/or get angry at Spender for mismanaging the mission.

At least, that's probably how Isabel sees it, which is why she hid it. Maybe Francisco really does have a softer side and really does care about Isabel, but the way he's hidden it has left their relationship looking like this.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

At least, that's probably how Isabel sees it, which is why she hid it. Maybe Francisco really does have a softer side and really does care about Isabel, but the way he's hidden it has left their relationship looking like this.

Ya, that's pretty much how it is. My initial comment on it was that in the previous page everyone was saying Francisco was overbearing and a jerk. I didn't comment on that at the time, because I didn't really agree, since I grew up with lectures for so many things from one of my parents.

But the fact that she was injured and that it didn't come up/she didn't trust him enough to mention it made me realize I was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Dolash posted:

From what we've seen so far, if she showed him the injury he'd probably just chide her for being careless and/or get angry at Spender for mismanaging the mission.

There was that scene where Ed said something like "the same reason you care that he cares" or something like that which neatly summed up their relationship of both being too proud to open up to each other.