Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Buried alive posted:

Is there such a thing as a mod that will add some kind of graphic effect to weapon swings? Like a movement blur at the range of the attack or something.

object motion blur like that seems like something that would have to be hardcoded into the game engine, but maybe there's an ENB setting that replicates it, I dunno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Scyantific posted:

Wait, I thought they removed the voice acting from Mirmulnir in one of the more recent patches?
According to the changelog they "refined" the voicework once and "updated" it a second time, but I didn't spot anything about it being removed.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

object motion blur like that seems like something that would have to be hardcoded into the game engine, but maybe there's an ENB setting that replicates it, I dunno

To refine my request a bit, I'm looking for something that gives me feedback on what the range of my/enemies' attacks is. I don't care if the sword (or whatever) I'm swinging actually blurs or not, any kind of graphic effect will work. Some kind of slashing arc would work just as well.

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

deathrat posted:

So I'm working on a plugin and accompanying tool for Mod Organizer. I'll be posting a beta for it here within the next couple of days hopefully.

Basically what it does is it exports a profile to a single small file that can be imported into MO using the plugin, which you can then queue up the mods from the profile to download inside of MO. Currently it only supports automatically downloading mods that the person that exported still had the download file for, as MO currently does not save the File ID inside of the mod's meta.ini file, I talked to the author of Mod Organizer to see if he is willing to implement it though(or if he'll accept a pull request if I code it).

And I'll eventually be adding support for providing custom URLs for mods, so people can make cool modsets that don't rely solely on mods that are available on nexus.

Hopefully it'll fill the hole where people have been wanting to share their working mod setups without packaging gigabytes of data up or writing out a huge step by step guide.

I was also working on an ENB/DLL Manager plugin for Mod Organizer, but that's on the backburner until I get this in more of a working state.

This sounds amazing, godspeed. It would be perfect for automating things like the STEP guides I imagine.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Buried alive posted:

To refine my request a bit, I'm looking for something that gives me feedback on what the range of my/enemies' attacks is. I don't care if the sword (or whatever) I'm swinging actually blurs or not, any kind of graphic effect will work. Some kind of slashing arc would work just as well.

ahh, I get you. that would actually be pretty cool but I don't think a thing like that exists :(

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cardboard Box posted:

is Weapons of the Third Era MoS Edition available anywhere or is it pretty much lost?

I wasn't aware that it had been removed from the Nexus. I'll zip up my copy and upload it to my Google Drive. My internet is slow as poo poo, so it might take a while. I'll either edit this post or make a new post when it's finished. :)

Anyhow, Weapon Variants Expansion and Private Eye's Heavy Armory are both pretty good.

Avoid weaponizer, IMHO.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
So a while ago in the thread I mentioned a 28 days later mod and someone was like, "You should try that and post a trip report," and I was like, "Hey, that's a good idea," so here's a brief trip report. I haven't checked the barricading/siege damage features, so I don't know how those worked.

Firstly, to make things really feel like a zombie invasion any essential NPCs will need to have that removed so that they can, you know, die. Otherwise you wind up with NPCs that are infected, but that never die themselves and you get one of two results. If you set infected NPCs to go berserk, there are a couple of invincible enemies running around. If you did not set infected NPCs to go berserk, you have invincible defenders running around.

Aside from that, the mod has so much customization available the mod manager in-game menu that the only real problem is the lack of proper atmosphere. NPCs only get killed if you're there to participate in combat, so it's not possible to sic a bunch of zombies on a city and then have everyone be dead by the time you get there. Even after everyone is dead, the town, I think, will still look the same. So Whiterun will be sort of all bright and cheery with a bunch of monsters running around.

It's not clear how much zombies will wander out into the wild, but my impression is that this doesn't happen very often, if at all, and they'll just stand around in town if nothing is there to provoke them. Zombie populations and migration is all handled in a back-end sort of system, and as long as you stay away from towns I don't think you'll see any. I'm not even sure if zombie populations change all that much if you're not in some town or other.

Zombies resurrecting seems to be handled by a dice roll. If successful, the old corpse disappears and a new one is respawned in its place. Clunky, but it works. I do wonder what affects so much spawning and respawning might have on save games and such though.

It's possible for the player to die and respawn as a zombie. You just have to die while infected. After that you become a zombie of some type or other and can attempt to go on a little rampage. I believe you can infect other NPCs while in this form. As near as I can tell there's no way to go back to being a non-zombie. Once you get killed as a zombie the game treats that as a normal death and you'll respawn from your last save.

If you use SkyXP or a similar, alternate leveling system that gives you points based on skills, this mod can feel like cheating if your zombies aren't strong enough.

The zombies themselves have a decent variety and are interesting to look at, though I'm not sure they all have proper walking and running animations. Eh.

While it's not possible to change how everything is handled through the back end and whether or not NPCs are essential with this mod alone, everything else I just talked about can be tweaked in some way or other. If you ever wanted to play Skyrim: I Am Legend this mod will let you do it if you're willing to do a little bit of preparation. Like, say, setting an extremely long respawn time on cells in general, then murdering all the NPCs before you set off the zombie apocalypse.

Also this was all on a saved game with a lot of progress, so at first glance adding/removing this mod to saved games won't break anything horribly, but, as always, ymmv.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

I wasn't aware that it had been removed from the Nexus. I'll zip up my copy and upload it to my Google Drive. My internet is slow as poo poo, so it might take a while. I'll either edit this post or make a new post when it's finished. :)

Anyhow, Weapon Variants Expansion and Private Eye's Heavy Armory are both pretty good.

Avoid weaponizer, IMHO.

thanks! I'll look into those others :)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cardboard Box posted:

thanks! I'll look into those others :)

Here's MoS Weapons of the Third Era.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I just did a fresh install. Is everything in the OP still pretty relevant? I installed some basic stuff already to get started.

SkyUI
High res textures
Extra sounds
Realistic water
Unofficial patches

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I recently found and downloaded a Skeleton race from the workshop and I'm having way too much fun. While I'm willing to accept it's flaws, I was wondering if anyone knows of a playable skeleton mod where you can wear any armor and see it? Or better yet. One where you have to earn societies trust?

This one currently does not support all armors on the model, so my torso is naked atm. And the author said he was done working on it.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I really need to catch up with this thread.

I remember someone here was trying to make a great bow mod; did that ever get uploaded?

I'm also looking for a mod that adds more transformations -- turning into wolves and bears and the like. Any recommendations for something like that? I've looked a few druid mods but those seem to be more into nature magic than transformation.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Scyantific posted:

Wrye Bash is pretty simple. You'd be better off with a merged patch though. Or load SPERG towards the bottom of your load order.
With TESEdit 5, is it pretty much just about making a merge patch between poo poo MO is detecting conflicts in or is it more guess work than that?

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
On a similar note - does anyone have any Vampire/Werewolf overhaul mods that they can recommend? Basically I'm just looking for something to make both forms a little more risky (proper sun penalties, lunar transformations) and a little more interesting. I've found Heart of the Beast (better werewolf sounds, howl at the moon sort of stuff) and Bloodmoon Tales which adds moonlight transformations, werebears, hunters coming after you and stuff which seems neat. Haven't tried either yet though so I don't know if it works well!

But Jesus Christ it's pretty much 50/50 on whether a mod page is actually going to tell me clearly what the mod does or devolve into someone's vampire/werewolf/anime/ fanpage, any suggestions you guys have would be awesome.

Also I managed to mostly remove the problems I was having with SPERG's Phantom Beasts perk - I believe it was being triggered by a dodgy workshop mod not being properly installed. Bears/Spiders/Deers get desummoned once battle's over now! :dance:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

With TESEdit 5, is it pretty much just about making a merge patch between poo poo MO is detecting conflicts in or is it more guess work than that?

It depends on the type of conflict. If it's affecting leveled lists, a Bashed Patch is better for those IMO. A conflict that affects more specific things like what is added to the world space would benefit better from a Merged Patch.

It's pretty easy to make the patches as well. I think either Lt.Smash or Agents Are Go! made a quick and dirty how-to on making Merged Patches, which I will find tonight and stick in the OP.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Appoda posted:

I remember someone here was trying to make a great bow mod; did that ever get uploaded?

I'm also looking for a mod that adds more transformations -- turning into wolves and bears and the like. Any recommendations for something like that? I've looked a few druid mods but those seem to be more into nature magic than transformation.

It's not that fancy as like a werewolf transformation. But I saw a "playable creatures" mod in the workshop. Use a spell to turn into a Spriggan, Giant, whatever else in the base game besides dragons. Looked pretty well done but I didn't really plan on using it so i didn't try it out.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Frankly posted:

On a similar note - does anyone have any Vampire/Werewolf overhaul mods that they can recommend? Basically I'm just looking for something to make both forms a little more risky (proper sun penalties, lunar transformations) and a little more interesting. I've found Heart of the Beast (better werewolf sounds, howl at the moon sort of stuff) and Bloodmoon Tales which adds moonlight transformations, werebears, hunters coming after you and stuff which seems neat. Haven't tried either yet though so I don't know if it works well!

But Jesus Christ it's pretty much 50/50 on whether a mod page is actually going to tell me clearly what the mod does or devolve into someone's vampire/werewolf/anime/ fanpage, any suggestions you guys have would be awesome.

Also I managed to mostly remove the problems I was having with SPERG's Phantom Beasts perk - I believe it was being triggered by a dodgy workshop mod not being properly installed. Bears/Spiders/Deers get desummoned once battle's over now! :dance:

Better Vampires is the go to vampire overhaul for Skyrim, I think. It's got a ton of options you can fiddle with, too.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Appoda posted:

Here's one I found. It's pretty into the nature magic thing, but it comes with some transformations and some trials to unlock them.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/31485/

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

Emong posted:

Better Vampires is the go to vampire overhaul for Skyrim, I think. It's got a ton of options you can fiddle with, too.

Thanks, I'll check this out!

e: aww yiss spells to mask yourself if you're hated and other junk, this looks good! :dance:

VVV I'm thinking the same thing, I wouldn't imagine any of the 'turn NPCs to vampire/werewolf' mod options would go very well with how I normally play. Luckily they're all pretty customizable! Thanks for the recommendation, it seems like Moonlight Tales is the best of what I'm looking for!

Frankly fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 3, 2014

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Frankly posted:

I play with moonlight tales and I can highly recommend it, thought I would turn of the Npc to NPC infection mechanic and possibly the player to NPC infection mechanic if you are going for a non-gimmick playthrough.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Scyantific posted:

It depends on the type of conflict. If it's affecting leveled lists, a Bashed Patch is better for those IMO. A conflict that affects more specific things like what is added to the world space would benefit better from a Merged Patch.

It's pretty easy to make the patches as well. I think either Lt.Smash or Agents Are Go! made a quick and dirty how-to on making Merged Patches, which I will find tonight and stick in the OP.

Here is my rundown on Bashed and Merged patches. And to answer Ron Paul's question MO only detects conflicts between files. So mostly scripts, textures and meshes. Or whole esps. A bashed or merged patch is the contents of the esps.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Ok, that confused me a little. What is the difference between merged patches and bashed patches? Bashed patches are simply ones made with wyrebash while merged are from TEVEdit? TESVEdit can combine multiple mods into a single esp to reduce plugins, while wyre only combines leveled lists?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Canemacar posted:

Ok, that confused me a little. What is the difference between merged patches and bashed patches? Bashed patches are simply ones made with wyrebash while merged are from TEVEdit? TESVEdit can combine multiple mods into a single esp to reduce plugins, while wyre only combines leveled lists?

Wrye Bash makes Bashed patches which use bashed tags to combine leveled lists changes. It can also combine a few types of simple mods into the bashed patch to lower plugin count. TesVedit makes Merged Patches. It integrates many different things besides leveled lists like weapons, armor, and npc changes. It also supports scripts that can do a number of useful developer things. One of them is called Merge Mods or something that takes the contents of two or more plugin files and makes them into one. This has had some issues in the past and is not the same as a merged patch despite the confusingly similar change.

The Wrye team is in the process of expanding what the bashes patch can do so hopefully we will be able to use it for everything before too long.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Scyantific posted:

Thanks I would appreciate that

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Thanks I would appreciate that

Turns out it was neither Smash or Agents who made the guide!

Gyshall posted:

Bash and TES5Edit both do two different things, although having both lets you have a 230+ mod list with relative stability.

What I usually do:

• Install all my mods that I'm using/testing
  • Run BOSS, clean any mods it yells about
  • Run Bash, rebuild the Bashed Patch, 0.esp and merge any lists/tweaks/patches
  • Close Bash, run TES5Edit. Make sure Bashed Patch, 0.esp is deselected, as well as any other mods that may have been deselected by Bash and merged. Let TES5Edit load all your other mods.
  • Right click anywhere, click "other => Create merged patch" and ignore the warnings. Create a patch called "merged" or whatever. Wait for TES5Edit to finish adding the masters, and then close out.
  • Enable the merged.esp file in MO
  • Run your Automatic Variants, SkyRE proccer, etc.

You'll end up with a solid load order, Bashed Patch will have all your minor tweaks and leveled lists combined, while the merged patch will give you a rudimentary patch that resolves any conflicts.

e: I do this and using the patches and ENBboost I hardly, if ever, crash. I've got like 400 installed mods (texture replacers, etc.), 230 ESP files or something.

Basically follow the steps above, and when you make your merged patch, expand it to find the leveled lists (LeveledNPC and LeveledItem), right click them and select Remove/Delete. Do this only if you're using a Bashed Patch to handle your leveled lists.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
So I tweaked ASIS' increased spawn settings and now if I have ASIS installed my game CTDs on start up. I have not changed anything else in my mod list. Any ideas?

Edit: Completely gutting ASIS and reinstalling it did the trick. Who the hell knows what happened there.

Viperix fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 3, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Scyantific posted:

Turns out it was neither Smash or Agents who made the guide!

Basically follow the steps above, and when you make your merged patch, expand it to find the leveled lists (LeveledNPC and LeveledItem), right click them and select Remove/Delete. Do this only if you're using a Bashed Patch to handle your leveled lists.

The only thing I do differently than this is delete the leveled entries from the merged patch (just allow the Bashed Patch to do that.)

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Keep in mind that a Merged Patch won't resolve conflicts with a record if more than one mod edits the same entry within that record. So if you have an item renaming mod that renames gold ingots to "Ingot: Gold", another mod that edits the weight of gold ingots, and a mod that edits both the weight and value of gold ingots but with a different weight value than the earlier mod, then gold ingots won't be included in your patch and will be edited by the last mod that is loaded, since TES5Edit doesn't know which weight-editing mod to prefer. You can make the necessary tweaks manually, however, say setting both weight-editing mods to the same weight value, in which case gold ingots will be merged into the patch with the new name, weight, and value. This was my experience, at least, and someone more familiar with merged patches should correct me if I'm wrong.

Alasyre fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 4, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Nah, sometimes the mods really are on equal ground and you have to judge which one comes out on top.

TES5Edit just makes this process relatively painless. I can't imagine doing this poo poo with the official creation kit.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
What's really weird is mods made by the same person and designed to work together that make conflicting changes to the same records. I know that Clothing and Clutter Fixes and Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade had some conflicts and would prevent certain items from getting merged, at least they did the last time I took a look.

Edit: Just looked, the ores have different weight and values between the two mods.

Alasyre fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 4, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yeah, I remember spending a while going over those. Usually I went with the C&CF's changes to item weights and values, because those were different and way more interesting than the default.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

Alasyre posted:

Keep in mind that a Merged Patch won't resolve conflicts with a record if more than one mod edits the same entry within that record. So if you have an item renaming mod that renames gold ingots to "Ingot: Gold", another mod that edits the weight of gold ingots, and a mod that edits both the weight and value of gold ingots but with a different weight value than the earlier mod, then gold ingots won't be included in your patch and will be edited by the last mod that is loaded, since TES5Edit doesn't know which weight-editing mod to prefer. You can make the necessary tweaks manually, however, say setting both weight-editing mods to the same weight value, in which case gold ingots will be merged into the patch with the new name, weight, and value. This was my experience, at least, and someone more familiar with merged patches should correct me if I'm wrong.

I just looked at my merged patch and and one item was given a gold value of 1 by one mod, 2 by another mod, and 3 by the merged patch. I have no idea where the 3 came from and now believe that TES5Edit works because of witchcraft.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
So I just picked up the DLC and thought I'd try modding everything. On using mod manager every time I try to download something from Nexus, I get:

11:25:22 [D] Download started
11:25:22 [D] download requested: nxm://Skyrim/mods/19/files/1000130517
11:25:22 [D] add nxm download: nxm://Skyrim/mods/19/files/1000130517
11:26:22 [C] request (http://nmm.nexusmods.com/skyrim/Files/1000130517/?game_id=110) error: Operation canceled
11:26:22 [D] User-agent "Mod Organizer v1.2.14 (compatible to Nexus Client v0.52.2)"
11:26:22 [W] request failed: Operation canceled
11:26:22 [D] Failed to request file info from nexus: Operation canceled
11:26:24 [C] request (http://nmm.nexusmods.com/skyrim/Mods/1334/?game_id=110) error: Socket operation timed out
11:26:24 [D] User-agent "Mod Organizer v1.2.14 (compatible to Nexus Client v0.52.2)"
11:26:24 [W] request failed: Socket operation timed out
11:26:24 [W] Failed to retrieve update information: Socket operation timed out
11:26:24 [D] Failed to retrieve update information: Socket operation timed out

Nothing that I can see about this on the MM related forums, anyone seen this before? :(

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Razakai posted:

So I just picked up the DLC and thought I'd try modding everything. On using mod manager every time I try to download something from Nexus, I get:

11:25:22 [D] Download started
11:25:22 [D] download requested: nxm://Skyrim/mods/19/files/1000130517
11:25:22 [D] add nxm download: nxm://Skyrim/mods/19/files/1000130517
11:26:22 [C] request (http://nmm.nexusmods.com/skyrim/Files/1000130517/?game_id=110) error: Operation canceled
11:26:22 [D] User-agent "Mod Organizer v1.2.14 (compatible to Nexus Client v0.52.2)"
11:26:22 [W] request failed: Operation canceled
11:26:22 [D] Failed to request file info from nexus: Operation canceled
11:26:24 [C] request (http://nmm.nexusmods.com/skyrim/Mods/1334/?game_id=110) error: Socket operation timed out
11:26:24 [D] User-agent "Mod Organizer v1.2.14 (compatible to Nexus Client v0.52.2)"
11:26:24 [W] request failed: Socket operation timed out
11:26:24 [W] Failed to retrieve update information: Socket operation timed out
11:26:24 [D] Failed to retrieve update information: Socket operation timed out

Nothing that I can see about this on the MM related forums, anyone seen this before? :(

The only thing I can think of is this line from the "News" section at the top of the description for MO:

quote:

Nexus has again locked out older versions of NMM from connecting to Nexus and MO is affected as collateral damage. You can fix this by going to settings->workarounds and enter 0.52.2 as the NMM Version.

Since you have a network error, this seems like a good bet. But I'm going to guess you've already done this, because your error log mentions that your MO is "compatible to Nexus Client v0.52.2". I'm thinking that Nexus maybe did something similar once again after this workaround was posted. If that's the case, then you might be able to fix it by changing the NMM Version to 0.52.3, which appears to be the latest version.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Just tried to download something, and it worked with 0.52.2 in the workarounds section.

"Socket error" sounds like a bad connection to their server. Perhaps Internet trouble (on your end or theirs)? Can you download manually from the Web site?

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 4, 2014

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Could've been that. I wiped it and gave it a fresh install and it's started working with no changes, so I'll put it down to standard Nexus fuckery. Thanks!

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Anybody else get DynDOLOD working? I have, and although the process looks a bit intimidating, it is totally worth it. If you do get it working, don't bother upping your uGridsToLoad anymore, either.

It really needs to go in the OP.

Previously I had rolled my own set of static LOD to generate in TES5Edit, which gave me a lot of high-res LOD but was pretty hard on performance. Performance is slight improved now even though I've got heaps more static LOD and also the DynDOLOD scripts running as well.

Look at this poo poo, this is all with stock uGrids (5):

:getin:

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Kilroy posted:

Anybody else get DynDOLOD working? I have, and although the process looks a bit intimidating, it is totally worth it. If you do get it working, don't bother upping your uGridsToLoad anymore, either.

It really needs to go in the OP.

Previously I had rolled my own set of static LOD to generate in TES5Edit, which gave me a lot of high-res LOD but was pretty hard on performance. Performance is slight improved now even though I've got heaps more static LOD and also the DynDOLOD scripts running as well.

Look at this poo poo, this is all with stock uGrids (5):

:getin:

:stare: you've got my attention, checking this out now.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Being able to see trees clearly in the distance kind of destroys the illusion that Skyrim has giant mountains rather than hills with incongruous snowbound jagged crags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

GunnerJ posted:

Being able to see trees clearly in the distance kind of destroys the illusion that Skyrim has giant mountains rather than hills with incongruous snowbound jagged crags.

Yeah it really messes with perspective in a weird way.

• Locked thread