Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joe Law
Jun 30, 2008

i took a "modern programming" course last semester. it advertised android programming! actually it was 90% swing applications with a quick chess android app tacked on the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Joe Law posted:

i took a "modern programming" course last semester. it advertised android programming! actually it was 90% swing applications with a quick chess android app tacked on the end.

my modern programming course in college had prolog and ML in it

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Joe Law posted:

sounds about right yeah

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

uncurable mlady posted:

circa 2014 maybe

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ui stuff is hard as gently caress. it's hard to learn. it's hard to work with. it requires you to dabble in other fields, e.g. graphic design.

and yet we do it, because it's important. it's the thing users interact with the most (duh)

so why is front-end so low on the totem pole for pay and respect?

because it has a higher ratio of women doing it, obviously

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ui is low on the totem pole because its super low entry

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pram posted:

and people don't think about good UIs, they only think about bad ones

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
im a terrible programmer but i think my phone interview with google went pretty well :) , maybe they'll let me keep this farce up for an onsite.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Eve online

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Stringent posted:

because it has a higher ratio of women doing it, obviously

this is almost certainly it :(

programming's increase in value directly correlates with how more men got into it in the 70s on

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

pram posted:

or more likely, low consequence. nobody ever took out a database table with a bad stylesheet (yet).

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah its because women. not the glut of people with desktop publishing degrees. not the ux boot camps for idiots. not because its an incredibly oversaturated market.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Stringent posted:

or more likely, low consequence. nobody ever took out a database table with a bad stylesheet (yet).

its all bootstrap anyway

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

pretty much any idiot can make a webapp

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

and let me tell you, i'm not just any idiot

pram
Jun 10, 2001
a field where knowing LESS variables and mixins are considered a rly advanced skill

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

my modern programming course in college had prolog and ML in it

use C# u can even give your lovely one of tools a GUI real quick. if u aint on windows then idk maybe you would like java better

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

i prefer sass over less

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

yo yospos, i need a new language. I've been a C programmer for a long time now and i find that i need to write one-off tools and poo poo to process data that's sort of a pain to do a lot of in C. ive used ruby to do some poo poo and while its ok, it loving sucks when it comes to concurrency and robinius or whatever sucks because while it supports threading, its IO is dog slow for whatever reason.

i need something that is relatively fast, has proper concurrency (no global locks), has some sort of notion of iterators or co-routines or whatever, pattern matching and built in regular expressions or whatever for string matching

its gotta be cross platform. static typing is preferred. so far all I've come across is nimrod (and i really like it) but i feel like too much is changing too much still to be my go-to language.

start throwing ideas ta me.

scala ?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
hes being a big baby because hes literally describing go

pram
Jun 10, 2001
speaking of go i found this sweet rpc framework today it looks cool

https://github.com/koding/kite

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

wait i though go was that language i used back on my apple //e to draw like lines and circles on the screen????

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nah thats logo ;D

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Is LOGO Turing-complete or what?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Apparently it is a Lisp. Who knew?

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

yo yospos, i need a new language. I've been a C programmer for a long time now and i find that i need to write one-off tools and poo poo to process data that's sort of a pain to do a lot of in C. ive used ruby to do some poo poo and while its ok, it loving sucks when it comes to concurrency and robinius or whatever sucks because while it supports threading, its IO is dog slow for whatever reason.

i need something that is relatively fast, has proper concurrency (no global locks), has some sort of notion of iterators or co-routines or whatever, pattern matching and built in regular expressions or whatever for string matching

its gotta be cross platform. static typing is preferred. so far all I've come across is nimrod (and i really like it) but i feel like too much is changing too much still to be my go-to language.

start throwing ideas ta me.

Not sure how much data, what type or how many sources (I'm assuming files).

One-off tasks, process data, efficient I/O, string matching, cross platform and stable sounds like Perl 5.

Just make sure you

code:
use strict;
use warnings;

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

dbcooper posted:

Just make sure you

code:
don't use perl;
ever;
for anything;
i'm serious;

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
come on, perl(1). i said not EVER, for ANYTHING. i expect *.pl to be deleted from my system. DO WHAT I MEAN.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

only a churl would use perl

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

CPColin posted:

Is LOGO Turing-complete or what?

yes

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/v1-toc2.html

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

pram posted:

speaking of go i found this sweet rpc framework today it looks cool

https://github.com/koding/kite

edit misread

tef fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 3, 2014

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
me on discovering that the "go" language is actually intended for real-world use, not just as a prototype: :mad:

srsly, sorry pram, it's real bad

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

pram posted:

a field where knowing LESS variables and mixins are considered a rly advanced skill

*fewer variables

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Which one's go? I keep thinking it's like better obj-c but that's swift right? Does go compete with c++ or c# or what? Seriously I can't keep track of all these fad langs

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

qntm posted:

*fewer variables

:xd:

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

AlsoD posted:

exactly wrong, continue lets you continue registering (rather than continue logging out) and cancel logs you out because you're cancelling the registration. is it just me or is that really confusing?

it was signing up for some optional service after already having an account

You are in the middle of action A. You initiate action B, and get asked whether you wish to continue or cancel - that should choose whether you cancel or continue B, not A. So Cancel should take you back to A and continue finish B, which is logging out. But then again you shouldn't have the option to "log out" when you're not logged in.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

qntm posted:

*fewer variables

lol

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

rotor posted:

the lovely thing about front end work is that everyone gets to have an opinion. if you're working on Hadoop, no one from HR is gonna come up and ask why you can't use 30 buckets instead of 24 in your k-means analysis. but every goddamn shitbag in the loving company has Opinions about where you put the goddamn "more" button

We call these people "Jr. UX" and yeah it is loving annoying. Another symptom when you give non-technical managers a ton of money and they hire in a ton of people with nothing to do other than justify their existence.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
ugh i hate interviewing candidates for a specific language

i'm not even sure what i'd ask a python candidate aside from comprehensions, generators, and decorators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Blinkz0rz posted:

ugh i hate interviewing candidates for a specific language

i'm not even sure what i'd ask a python candidate aside from comprehensions, generators, and decorators

ask them why they didnt specialize in a good language

• Locked thread