Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Matthew Beet posted:

Pretty much. The whole culture of sports thing TOML has thrown up is just a distraction while he wages war on the working class.

Pretty smart to pick an opponent too shiftless to fight back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Haters Objector posted:

On cricket, for the last couple of summers the womens one dryers and T20s have been broadcast on commercial television (9 or Gem), either as curtain raisers to a men's game or just by themselves. They're done with all the same commentary, cameras, technology and production values that the men's game receives. They've started getting some of the women cricketers on to commentate on the men's games to increase their profile, and several women cricketers (Lanning, Healy, Perry etc) have quite good name recognition amongst the public.

I have been involved in junior cricket for a few years and I don't think it's a coincidence that the number of girls having a go has skyrocketed since this started happening. It's amazing what a small amount of exposure can do.
This is a great story.

On the subject of women cricketers with name recognition, a while back I learnt that there's a woman out there who has represented Australia, internationally, in both cricket and soccer. That blows my mind. And I guarantee you, if she were a bloke, I'd have known her name. A guy who did something like that would be worshipped as a national loving hero.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Bifauxnen posted:

Just in case any of you guys were feeling bummed out thinking the latest discussions were totally pointless, you've just inspired me to add "WATCH WOMEN'S SPORTS" to the list I'm making of stuff I want to make sure I get around to teaching my kid.

Lego! Genderless smiley faces!

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Endman posted:

Parents who don't buy their children Lego are bad parents.

Except that "girls only" Lego. gently caress that poo poo. Bring back generic, genderless smiley faces. :mad:

LEGO Friends needs to be taken out the back and shot.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Gough Suppressant posted:

I'd say the hockeyroos are higher profile than the women's cricket team at a guess, maybe the Matilda's as well?

Netball is pretty good in terms of crowd but again gets 10 seconds a night to read out scores on the news and broadcasts on abc.

Endman posted:

I don't have the ABS statistics on hand, but if I recall correctly, netball is still the biggest sport for female participation in the country.
I should have been clearer - by mainstream I meant in terms of broadcast time, space in the news and advertising dollars, rather than total participation. Netball is pretty huge participationwise. But I can't remember ever seeing netball or hockey on TV outside of on the ABC on a weekend arvo; cricket is common in summertime, and football is utterly inescapable.

I know there are some utterly phenomenal female cricket and soccer players, but I can't name any of them.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Mithranderp posted:

LEGO Friends needs to be taken out the back and shot.

Speaking of, it was hilarious how cross some nerds got over that Lego IDEAS set that came out recently that features a bunch of science researchers and their associated equipment and they were all women.

e: picture

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

I'd like to take a small break from reading these interesting posts about Australia's attitude towards women in sport and say:

gently caress you open24hours

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Endman posted:

Speaking of, it was hilarious how cross some nerds got over that Lego IDEAS set that came out recently that features a bunch of science researchers and their associated equipment and they were all women.

But- but you can't just go and make them ALL women on purpose, that's just making things artificially lopsided to make a political point! (although everything that has only men appearing in it is just fine, because of reasons)

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Nibbles! posted:

Didn't the Pyne stuff come off the back of Cory Bernardi talking about someone in the Liberal party been gay? It was some interview and he spoke about the same person been a career politician, ending up with the Libs out of convenience.

Well they're definitely his kids:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Sport is just a vehicle for gambling/drinking advertisements and is funded by those industries. We'd be better off if we scrapped the whole thing, to be honest.

Or at least, scrap the huge sponsorship deals by companies that have an adverse societal effect.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

bell jar posted:

Sport is just a vehicle for gambling/drinking advertisements and is funded by those industries. We'd be better off if we scrapped the whole thing, to be honest.

Or at least, scrap the huge sponsorship deals by companies that have an adverse societal effect.
Victoria has a holiday for a horse race, a "sport" which is overtly just about gambling and animal cruelty. A holiday dedicated to a football final would be a step up.

T-1000 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 3, 2014

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Gough Suppressant posted:

This assumes that politicians actually want a better class of politic in the country which is not something I believe.

There is definitely an element of that, but I don't think it's the whole story. In my experience, it appeared that they thought the smart kids wouldn't need it and the dumb kids couldn't use it. Then I go to uni and a whole class never read the Constitution, and it was a wakeup call. And there's a mass of convention that we rarely even engage with (and the media is especially at fault for this because its their freaking job), and on top of all that there's the politicians obsession with action. Or more accurately their desire to be associated with the right action.

Whether politicians care or not about the level of politic is far beside the point when they can't even get simple things done because the system keeps throwing up procedural roadblocks. I would have thought that in itself is a problem but they can't see it either. They're chasing the next soundbite, the next ribbon-cutting, the next event. Where the culture solidifies is behind them, in the branches, and unfortunately now with advisors and lobbyists. Those guys care even less.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Id like the right to sport written into the constitution, and for female only sports to get a higher quota of airtime. Instead of a doco on underwater basket weaving we could watch the w league etc on abc, sbs.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

e: picture

poo poo, now I want to do SCIENCE with a flask of green, a dinosaur skeleton and a syringe the size of my torso.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

BCR posted:

Id like the right to sport written into the constitution, and for female only sports to get a higher quota of airtime. Instead of a doco on underwater basket weaving we could watch the w league etc on abc, sbs.

The biggest impact on sports from the ABC cuts has been women's sports (Basketball and Soccer)

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Those On My Left posted:

I'd like to take a small break from reading these interesting posts about Australia's attitude towards women in sport and say:

gently caress you open24hours

Classic TOML.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Those On My Left posted:

This is a great story.

On the subject of women cricketers with name recognition, a while back I learnt that there's a woman out there who has represented Australia, internationally, in both cricket and soccer. That blows my mind. And I guarantee you, if she were a bloke, I'd have known her name. A guy who did something like that would be worshipped as a national loving hero.

That's Elise Perry. She had the spine to say "gently caress off" to a bunch of people who tried to pressure her into focusing on one sport, and then backed it up by kicking goals in the soccer, and taking important wickets in the recent series vs the West Indies.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Shadeoses posted:

poo poo, now I want to do SCIENCE with a flask of green, a dinosaur skeleton and a syringe the size of my torso.

New from LEGO: My first Meth Lab!

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Those On My Left posted:

This is a great story.

I thought everybody knew about Ellyse Perry? For years now I feel like she's consistently been mentioned absolutely everywhere, and she's also been on television a whole bunch because womens T20 games are televised before the mens, though they're on the GEM channel I think. Perry also seems like she very deliberately tries to keep a low profile, I don't think she has any social media accounts or anything. Anytime the mens commentators have to reference a womens player it's usually been Perry because she's basically been the only name anybody has known until recently. There was also a womens cricketer, Holly Ferling, who won the world cup for Australia before she finished her HSC. Womens sport seems to be filled with lots of cool stories and it's a shame most people never get to hear about them. :(

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Frogmanv2 posted:

That's Elise Perry. She had the spine to say "gently caress off" to a bunch of people who tried to pressure her into focusing on one sport, and then backed it up by kicking goals in the soccer, and taking important wickets in the recent series vs the West Indies.

Yeah and she has a pretty big profile?

She is actually a regular pundit and host of (men's) A-League coverage as well.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Scylo posted:

I thought everybody knew about Ellyse Perry? For years now I feel like she's consistently been mentioned absolutely everywhere, and she's also been on television a whole bunch because womens T20 games are televised before the mens, though they're on the GEM channel I think. Perry also seems like she very deliberately tries to keep a low profile, I don't think she has any social media accounts or anything. Anytime the mens commentators have to reference a womens player it's usually been Perry because she's basically been the only name anybody has known until recently. There was also a womens cricketer, Holly Ferling, who won the world cup for Australia before she finished her HSC. Womens sport seems to be filled with lots of cool stories and it's a shame most people never get to hear about them. :(

I'm sure that the deeper you get into the sports world the more people know about Ellyse Perry, but here's the thing: I don't follow the AFL at all and I can still tell you who Buddy Franklin is. I don't pay any attention to cricket and I can still tell you who Michael Clarke is. if people like that can have such massive public profiles that even non-sportsnerds are aware of who they are, it's really weird that Ellyse Perry doesn't.

FWIW I'm not just using myself as an example. I learnt about Ellyse Perry in a conversation at work with a bunch of people, all of whom follow AFL. I wasn't the only one who'd never heard of her.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, basically the only time women's sports gets any coverage in Canada is during the Olympics.

I mean sure, when the women were playing the USA in the Gold Medal final in hockey this year there were at least 700 people in the lodge and all eyes were on the TV, but that was only because it was the gold medal game, and seeing as literally 90% of the country watched the Vancouver gold medal final in the men's hockey, well...

It's too bad, as women's hockey is actually more interesting to watch than men's a lot of the time because of the lack of checking, there's a lot more niggling and it's a very different game that's quite good in its own right.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Just as well the adults are in charge: http://www.theage.com.au/business/the-economy/gdp-australia-enters-income-recession-dollar-dives-as-economy-stalls-20141203-11z2bk.html

I mean where would we be with those economic vandals in the ALP in charge?

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2014/dec/03/higher-education-reform-comes-back-to-the-house-politics-live

quote:

First question went to Pyne on dropping the higher education package. The education minister thought it terribly indecorous to be shouting in partisan fashion on the day of Hughes funeral. (Nice try).

Tosser. (Pyne, not Hughes).

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Disclaimer: I'm a Saints supporter

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
This is how our esteemed speaker feels about the last few pages of the thread:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
God drat, she looks like an evil step-mother from a 90s family flick.

"I'LL GET THOSE DALMATIANS!"

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Adnar posted:

Well they're definitely his kids:

That head looks legit shopped

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
This thread is The Good poo poo

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
FWIW Women's tennis gets pretty good coverage, and I don't think that their public profiles are dominated by their physical appearance at all.

Why is it that sports played by individuals seem to have this problem less than team sports?

Also TOML I can totally see the point you're making, but I think it is simply a quickly developed reactive policy. I don't think the ALP have considered sporting culture much at all, and are simply thinking "hell, everyone takes a day off on this day anyway, may as well make it official". I don't think this is unforgivable, as it's more about recognising what the people are already doing and responding to that.

For example, the government recognises christmas as an official day off mostly because the vast majority of the population would take a day off then anyway, whether it was official or not. You could argue that Christmas is a religious holiday, so by recognising christmas the government is endorsing christianity, but that's not really fair (though it is often true). However, I agree with you that the government recognising an event by making it a public holiday does strengthen the legitimacy of an event, which in many cases can be problematic.

I think a better solution would be to also make the women's AFL grand final also a public holiday (though you'd have to raise the profile of that competition for that to be achievable), rather than not implementing this new public holiday. People like holidays.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

ungulateman posted:

This thread is The Good poo poo

Back to atrocities in government policies.

ABC posted:

Two heavily pregnant refugees who refused to leave a bus for two days were intentionally left in the Northern Territory sun without air-conditioning and not brought food and water, advocates say.

After attempts to break the standoff failed, the women, both eight months pregnant, were removed with force and taken into detention, the Refugee Action Coalition said.

Spokesman Ian Rintoul said he had spoken with Adnam Shirvani who was on the bus with his pregnant wife Maryam and their 12-year-old son Amir.

"The department deliberately, intentionally moved the bus to keep it in the sun," Mr Rintoul said.

"They turned off the air-conditioning, allowing it to overheat. At one point both the pregnant women had fainted from the heat."

Immigration and Border Protection Minister Scott Morrison said he denied the claims of cruelty and mistreatment in the strongest possible terms.

Mr Rintoul also claimed the officials stopped bringing the refugees food and water, in an effort to get them off the bus.

"They said it was very obvious they were deliberately trying to force them off the bus."

Mr Rintoul described the conditions on the bus as extraordinary.

"There's legislation against keeping children or even animals in heated vehicles, so people can only imagine what kind of temperature it got to in the sun in Darwin," he said.

After initial attempts to coax the women from the bus failed, the heavily pregnant women were removed with force, Mr Rintoul said.

"He (Adnam) was forcibly held by at least four guards, and other guards went on the bus and dragged his wife out," he said.

"She was taken off the bus and spent the next 24 hours in the medical centre in the detention centre, separated from Adnam and Amir.

"She's extremely distraught."

Mr Rintoul said the family members were reunited on Tuesday night.

In a statement, a spokesperson for Mr Morrison described the claims as malicious.

"Health and welfare of the individuals was monitored throughout this incident," the spokesperson said.

"The individuals involved had access to food, water and amenities, and the Department and service providers facilitated access to toilets and health professionals."

The Minister confirmed both family groups were currently at Wickham Point detention facility.

Mr Morrison claimed both women went to the detention centre voluntarily.

"The Minister was advised at no time were the individuals told they would be accommodated in the community," the spokesperson said.

Refugees 'want to go back to Nauru rather than stay in detention'

Meanwhile Mr Rintoul said the refugees would rather return to Nauru despite its lack of medical facilities.

"The situation in Wickham Point is destroying his family and they want to be either put in the community or taken back to Nauru where they can prepare to have the baby free of the anxiety of immigration detention."

The two families were brought to Australia to give birth, which is standard practice for people who are having their application for refugee status processed in Nauru.

The ABC understands this was the first time someone who had been approved as a refugee had been flown to Australia to give birth.

The women have told refugee advocates they were not told they would be put back into detention once they arrived in Australia.

They claim they were told they would be housed in the community or a hotel.

"They were not issued with travel documents or with visas either by the Australian Government or the Nauruan government, and when they arrived in Australia they were handed a bit of paper saying that they had arrived unlawfully in Australia and would not be taken into immigration detention.

"It's been all a lie from the Government."

After realising they were being taken to a detention facility they refused to leave the bus.

They offered to pay for their own accommodation and various refugee advocates offered to help find a place for the families to stay.

Their 12-year-old son was the first to leave the bus and went into Bladin Point detention centre, where he was believed to have other family members.

His father joined him soon after, but the two women and Tahere's husband Hossein remained on the bus until they were removed with force.

Both women were living with their families in the community in Nauru after they had been found to be genuine refugees and refugee advocates said they were terrified at the prospect of returning to detention.

The Department of Immigration and Border Security was slammed by refugee advocates and birthing associations for their treatment of the women.

This is really, really hosed up.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Kegslayer posted:

In a few decades, articles like this will be used to prove it wasn't just evil government policy, but that all of the workers involved were just as complicit and evil. You can't pull the ol' "only following orders" gag when you act with this much initiative. I doubt "Put pregnant refugees in the sun to starve them out" is written down as official protocol anywhere.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Kegslayer posted:

Maybe we can import some American fundie Christians to bomb SERCO for trying to kill babies?

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Splode posted:

FWIW Women's tennis gets pretty good coverage, and I don't think that their public profiles are dominated by their physical appearance at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWy7nEI7iHM
http://theconversation.com/azarenka-tsonga-and-the-sexism-that-chokes-womens-tennis-11821

quote:

Tsonga explained that the reason men dominate is because women are more emotionally unstable than men. “I’m sure everybody will say it’s true, even the girls”, he said. “I mean, it’s just about hormones and all this stuff. We don’t have all these bad things so we are physically in a good shape every time and you are not.
http://theconversation.com/azarenka-tsonga-and-the-sexism-that-chokes-womens-tennis-11821

quote:

Fairfax journalist Richard Hinds ... drew on what he perceived as Azarenka’s meltdown to denigrate women’s tennis. In his article he likened women’s tennis players to prostitutes, writing:

quote:

Why pay for a sensory experience you can get for nothing standing outside an opened window at a brothel?

Splode posted:

Also TOML I can totally see the point you're making, but I think it is simply a quickly developed reactive policy. I don't think the ALP have considered sporting culture much at all, and are simply thinking "hell, everyone takes a day off on this day anyway, may as well make it official". I don't think this is unforgivable, as it's more about recognising what the people are already doing and responding to that.

For example, the government recognises christmas as an official day off mostly because the vast majority of the population would take a day off then anyway, whether it was official or not. You could argue that Christmas is a religious holiday, so by recognising christmas the government is endorsing christianity, but that's not really fair (though it is often true). However, I agree with you that the government recognising an event by making it a public holiday does strengthen the legitimacy of an event, which in many cases can be problematic.

I think a better solution would be to also make the women's AFL grand final also a public holiday (though you'd have to raise the profile of that competition for that to be achievable), rather than not implementing this new public holiday. People like holidays.
Of course it's a quickly developed reactive policy. But it still has all the problems I've been talking about.

It sounds like largely you agree with me. Personally I can't get behind your solution of "make the women's AFL grand final also a public holiday" because I think that's some cart before the horse stuff. Especially given that we don't even have the league yet.

Incidentally I went and found this on Wikipedia:

quote:

A professional national [women's AFL] competition backed by the AFL is scheduled to commence by 2020 with six, eight or ten teams; bids have been submitted by the 18 existing AFL teams, as well as state level teams and regional teams.

The competition was announced in 2008 and was slated to commence in 2013 with four to eight teams, but this was changed after it was found that the new teams from the Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney would not have time to submit their bids in full.[18] The starting number of teams has also been increased due to the growth of women's football since 2008.

A license was granted to the Fremantle Dockers under the umbrella of the Women's Football League in February 2010, but due to a review and the subsequent admission of the Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney to the AFL, this license has been recalled; it will most likely be reissued when the competition is established.

So basically, given the context we currently have, given the state of the world as it currently exists - i.e. the AFL operating as a male contest with no female representation in it, and no corresponding women's league in existence - I think it's lousy for the government to further promote/celebrate/sanction/prioritise the AFL. I don't think there's a practical current alternative other than "don't loving do it."

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Australian Hitler is a good name for Morrison imo

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Splode posted:

Why is it that sports played by individuals seem to have this problem less than team sports?
Anna Kournikova never even won a women's singles title.

But I agree that in general, women's tennis gets better coverage than most female sports.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Splode posted:

In a few decades, articles like this will be used to prove it wasn't just evil government policy, but that all of the workers involved were just as complicit and evil. You can't pull the ol' "only following orders" gag when you act with this much initiative. I doubt "Put pregnant refugees in the sun to starve them out" is written down as official protocol anywhere.

See, we keep saying things like "In the future this will be regarded as an atrocity" but the reality is that it's regarded as an atrocity now, it's just that many, many Australians think it's the right kind of atrocity and support it gleefully.

What if the people with the money and the power just keep getting more and more overt about their aims? What if they keep pandering to the absolute worst in human nature to gloss up their positions with a veneer of democratic legitimacy? I mean, globally, where is the good guy? If a neo-fascist regime actually gained power in any or all of the Western nations in the next couple of decades there's no Allied force to come in and kick it in the throat any more.

Talking about grassroots Internet organisation and people power is great but is there really the capacity to rise up in the face of increasingly militarised security forces internal to the state? Where the lines between police, military and PMCs are becoming increasingly blurry? The capacity for revolution in Western nations may be all but lost already and the population is no more engaged now than it ever was, brief bursts of apathetic outrage in response to social media notwithstanding before distraction by the latest video of a kitten falling off something.

Call me cynical, and it's probably a valid claim, but I just... don't see a lot of hope for the future. We are tracking to dystopia pretty rapidly.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Hah. Tracking to. :allears:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Frogmanv2 posted:

It's time for your semi regular reminder to go donate blood.

I have O negative and despite a letter from my cardiologist approving me to donate blood, Red Cross wont take my blood.

Also they discriminate against gay blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

SadisTech posted:

See, we keep saying things like "In the future this will be regarded as an atrocity" but the reality is that it's regarded as an atrocity now, it's just that many, many Australians think it's the right kind of atrocity and support it gleefully.

What if the people with the money and the power just keep getting more and more overt about their aims? What if they keep pandering to the absolute worst in human nature to gloss up their positions with a veneer of democratic legitimacy? I mean, globally, where is the good guy? If a neo-fascist regime actually gained power in any or all of the Western nations in the next couple of decades there's no Allied force to come in and kick it in the throat any more.

Talking about grassroots Internet organisation and people power is great but is there really the capacity to rise up in the face of increasingly militarised security forces internal to the state? Where the lines between police, military and PMCs are becoming increasingly blurry? The capacity for revolution in Western nations may be all but lost already and the population is no more engaged now than it ever was, brief bursts of apathetic outrage in response to social media notwithstanding before distraction by the latest video of a kitten falling off something.

Call me cynical, and it's probably a valid claim, but I just... don't see a lot of hope for the future. We are tracking to dystopia pretty rapidly.

They teach how bad the White Australia policy is in High school currently, Governments tend to be better at cognitive dissonance than changing cultural values.

• Locked thread