Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tired Moritz posted:

If I remember right, it's at the lower right corner with the fire torch. You can use the locked chest to check any place that you haven't checked.

Anyway, what kind of build did anyone give for their P4MU? Got a quest where you had to use him and he's too general to specialize in anything.

I put him on binding duty, which incidentally make that quest really easy if you combine that with poison. It's not like you're going to have much damage output through conventional means with just two people anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
I like a lot about this game, but man, the FOE/boss design is pretty awful. Just huge sacks of HP where most mechanics are disabled in favor of the worst kinds of EO-style damage optimization.

When I saw the fourth boss's gimmick I just closed the 3DS and left the room.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Francis posted:

I like a lot about this game, but man, the FOE/boss design is pretty awful. Just huge sacks of HP where most mechanics are disabled in favor of the worst kinds of EO-style damage optimization.

i'm not sure what you mean by mechanics being disabled. if you mean binds and ailments, then you're wrong because i had that boss panicked and bound for most of the fight.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Francis posted:

Yeah I gotta agree with Inflammatory, I have no clue WTF you're talking about. Very few FOEs have no weaknesses to exploit except the Card Soldiers at the very beginning, and many of them are critically vulnerable to binds and ailments. The 4th boss's gimmick is completely negated by Boosting, and while he does have no weaknesses, any multi-hit attack with a critical chance up skill (Punisher, Warrior Title, etc) will get you into Boost reliably. And, anyway, his offense was anemic. Sure, he stuns a couple people in your party every other round, but he doesn't do anything with it. He was by far the easiest boss in the game to that point, and the quickest to die.

I had way more trouble with the goddamn Festival Guys FOE, which again negate your entire claim since they actually have fairly low HP but you'll never, ever kill them by treating them as just sacks of HP.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zurai posted:

Yeah I gotta agree with Inflammatory, I have no clue WTF you're talking about. Very few FOEs have no weaknesses to exploit except the Card Soldiers at the very beginning, and many of them are critically vulnerable to binds and ailments. The 4th boss's gimmick is completely negated by Boosting, and while he does have no weaknesses, any multi-hit attack with a critical chance up skill (Punisher, Warrior Title, etc) will get you into Boost reliably. And, anyway, his offense was anemic. Sure, he stuns a couple people in your party every other round, but he doesn't do anything with it. He was by far the easiest boss in the game to that point, and the quickest to die.

I had way more trouble with the goddamn Festival Guys FOE, which again negate your entire claim since they actually have fairly low HP but you'll never, ever kill them by treating them as just sacks of HP.

I honestly can't remember the fourth boss having a gimmick at all, aside from having a bit more HP than the whole health bar, but that's like a super standard staple of JRPGs.

The Festive Guys are the worst because they hit hard and have Diarahan.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

I honestly can't remember the fourth boss having a gimmick at all, aside from having a bit more HP than the whole health bar, but that's like a super standard staple of JRPGs.

He spends a turn taking a deep breath, then on the next turn he roars and attempts to stun the whole party, followed by a basic attack for like 100 damage to one target. If you go first, either because you're faster than him or because you have Boost, you completely negate the stun, so it's not much of a gimmick. If you kept him bound or paralyzed he'd probably never even get a chance to do it. As for your spoiler, yeah, I don't think I can name a jRPG that doesn't do that in some manner.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

I mean that hanging the entire boost mechanic and any sustained offense off of fishing for crits with multi-hit physicals is extremely limiting and unfun. It's less degenerate than being able to annhilate 95% of encounters with Impure Reach Naoto, but not by much.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Uh, that's what the entire Shin Megami Tensei combat system is based on, dude. Dunno why you're bitching about EO-style fights when it appears to be SMT-style fights which are making you tilt. EO-style fights handle very differently because weaknesses don't give you any benefit except extra damage. EO combat is about negating enemy abilities through strategic use of action denial skills, and you can totally play PQ that way if you want to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Francis posted:

I mean that hanging the entire boost mechanic and any sustained offense off of fishing for crits with multi-hit physicals is extremely limiting and unfun. It's less degenerate than being able to annhilate 95% of encounters with Impure Reach Naoto, but not by much.

But there are a ton of ways to get around that. Boost isn't your only option for speed in general. You don't have to use multi-hit physical crit-fishing, it's just one option.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Francis posted:

there are elemental physical attacks too, you know.

edit: oh right that boss had no weaknesses. i forgot about that, but he's still not hard by any means.

Inflammatory fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 3, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zurai posted:

He spends a turn taking a deep breath, then on the next turn he roars and attempts to stun the whole party, followed by a basic attack for like 100 damage to one target. If you go first, either because you're faster than him or because you have Boost, you completely negate the stun, so it's not much of a gimmick. If you kept him bound or paralyzed he'd probably never even get a chance to do it. As for your spoiler, yeah, I don't think I can name a jRPG that doesn't do that in some manner.

Oh. I guess I never ran into that because I had magic bind and/or panic active at almost all times for that fight.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
If anyone has beaten the game, I'm curious as to what carries over to New Game +.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Strange Quark posted:

Actually no, because there's a hierarchy. :v: From the ones I've seen, Ken and Koromaru are the ones who carry you.

Shinjiro too. I ended up with him as mine. :v:

Can you force anyone else to read Marie's poem, or is it always Akihiko?

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

I know I got Yukiko for that, so probably.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Zurai posted:

Uh, that's what the entire Shin Megami Tensei combat system is based on, dude. Dunno why you're bitching about EO-style fights when it appears to be SMT-style fights which are making you tilt. EO-style fights handle very differently because weaknesses don't give you any benefit except extra damage. EO combat is about negating enemy abilities through strategic use of action denial skills, and you can totally play PQ that way if you want to.

EO combat (especially in 3) is about stacking every offensive multiplier in the game and autopiloting to victory. That's all this boss is, since as you admit, it does nothing interesting or dangerous at all. Boosting isn't about speed, it's about being able to push through 18000 HP before I die of boredom and without neutering the third of the cast that used STR as their dump stat.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Francis posted:

EO combat (especially in 3) is about stacking every offensive multiplier in the game and autopiloting to victory. That's all this boss is, since as you admit, it does nothing interesting or dangerous at all. Boosting isn't about speed, it's about being able to push through 18000 HP before I die of boredom and without neutering the third of the cast that used STR as their dump stat.

Yeah I have no clue what you're even talking about any more. EO is not and never has been about autopiloting to victory. Autopilot is about the quickest way to earn a game over there is unless you're several strata too shallow for your level. Does EO3 have a super-optimized party build that does involve a lot of autoattacking to exploit a bug? Yes. Is that what the game and the combat system is about? gently caress off, no it isn't.

Now, there is a physical vs magical divide here, especially once you get to Myriad Arrows and Danse Macabre, but Yukari is still an absolutely 1000% vital character in my run even though she only ever attacks to get a Boost to extend her SP pool. She's my Arcanist, with Lethargy and Silence Circles, Binding Hands, and Circle Recovery, and there are a bunch of FOEs (including the aforementioned Festive Guys) who I simply would not be able to defeat without her. I know because I tried and got stomped into the loving ground.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Dr. Fetus posted:

Shinjiro too. I ended up with him as mine. :v:

I tested it. As P3MC, you can get Akihiko, Yukiko, Naoto, or Chie. Dunno if it changes with P4MC. Definitely try to get Chie, hers is the best version.

I actually really like Marie in this. I could never tell if they were being serious with her poems in Golden but it's clear they're taking the piss here. The one that ends with ...THANKS DUDE! made me spit out my drink.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Francis posted:

Uh, what? You're talking about a pretty different EO than I played where status effects and special abilities are also plenty powerful. Which also applies to Persona Q. If you're trying to brute-force damage everything try doing different things instead.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Inflammatory posted:

there are elemental physical attacks too, you know.

edit: oh right that boss had no weaknesses. i forgot about that, but he's still not hard by any means.

There are plenty of FOEs with no weaknesses, dunno about regular bosses since I'm not that far in yet. I like this game but some of the design decisions frustrate me. I don't even necessarily think they're bad, the game is just slower than I'd like. Honestly I think Strange Journey was more fun to play, though I doubt that's a popular opinion.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

There are plenty of FOEs with no weaknesses, dunno about regular bosses since I'm not that far in yet. I like this game but some of the design decisions frustrate me. I don't even necessarily think they're bad, the game is just slower than I'd like. Honestly I think Strange Journey was more fun to play, though I doubt that's a popular opinion.

I've got a nearly-complete Enepedia and there are precisely 6 FOEs/Bosses with no weaknesses which I have seen (not counting The Reaper who probably also is in that category, but I havn't tried to kill it yet). Two are the two different Card Soldiers in the first labyrinth, one is an utterly stationary FOE, one is a semi-mobile FOE you have to intentionally choose to fight, and then the first and fourth labyrinth bosses (though the first hardly counts since there's plenty of ways to get Boost in that fight). That's it.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

So, is it just the game saying I shouldn't be fighting it yet or do lovely dolls have utterly absurd evasion rates? I was missing half the time with sukunda and sukaja up.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Einwand posted:

So, is it just the game saying I shouldn't be fighting it yet or do lovely dolls have utterly absurd evasion rates? I was missing half the time with sukunda and sukaja up.

the latter. agility bind and panic are your best friends.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah there's an FOE with similarly stupid evasion in the 4th labyrinth. And they seem to be extremely resistant to Agility Bind, too; I never managed to land one over like 50 turns of attempts on them.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

So what do the difficulty settings actually do? Setting aside whether a completely helpless boss you style on for fourty loving turns is good design or not, I think Risky exacerbates the problem.

EO:U Expert was incredibly dangerous since you took 166% damage. You also dealt 66% damage. It feels like the numbers are very different for Persona Q Risky, like you do 33-50% damage and may not take extra damage at all. I can't imagine surviving triple ma-whatever-la ambushes otherwise.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just had Naoto one shot two Golden Hands with Toxic Slice. :stare:

Change the thread title to Persona Q: Naoto's Impure Reach.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Detective No. 27 posted:

Naoto's Impure Reach.

I hope you realize what you've done.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just had Naoto one shot two Golden Hands with Toxic Slice. :stare:

Change the thread title to Persona Q: Naoto's Impure Reach.

Persona Q: Impure Reach Out To The Truth

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
How many hours is this game? P4 was like 70-80 on the timer plus probably 10 other hours for me because of all the lost progress from dying. Between vanilla and golden and multiple playthroughs I've spent like 300+ hours with that game.

Can I get anything close to that with Q?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ManOfTheYear posted:

How many hours is this game? P4 was like 70-80 on the timer plus probably 10 other hours for me because of all the lost progress from dying. Between vanilla and golden and multiple playthroughs I've spent like 300+ hours with that game.

Can I get anything close to that with Q?

It's less time. Probably closer to 40, but a big chunk of that is that it has way fewer cutscenes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've got like 30 hours on the game and I'm at halfway through the third dungeon. I have also left my game on for hours on end while doing other stuff because I have a terrible attention span.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It's less time. Probably closer to 40, but a big chunk of that is that it has way fewer cutscenes.

I'm just over 60 hours and I'm not even halfway through the final dungeon (which admittedly has much smaller levels than the previous 4). And that's not counting time lost to TPKs and such. Add NG+ to that and I expect you have at least 80-100 hours.

Francis posted:

So what do the difficulty settings actually do? Setting aside whether a completely helpless boss you style on for fourty loving turns is good design or not, I think Risky exacerbates the problem.

EO:U Expert was incredibly dangerous since you took 166% damage. You also dealt 66% damage. It feels like the numbers are very different for Persona Q Risky, like you do 33-50% damage and may not take extra damage at all. I can't imagine surviving triple ma-whatever-la ambushes otherwise.

Hard is +20% damage taken, -20% damage dealt. I imagine Risky has bigger numbers in those places.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Zurai posted:

I'm just over 60 hours and I'm not even halfway through the final dungeon (which admittedly has much smaller levels than the previous 4). And that's not counting time lost to TPKs and such. Add NG+ to that and I expect you have at least 80-100 hours.

Excactly what I wanted to hear, thank you man!

The promo text in some store page for Q promised 80-100 hours and I'm willing to believe it, getting confirmation for that is sweet to hear.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

gently caress this game is going to make me like marie isn't it

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This game is so goddamn depressing sometimes if you've played P3 :smith:

I can't wait for the P3 Protag to go to this party with everyone in 2 years! Oh Shinjiro is talking about how he should trust all the people younger then him and be more open. All these positive things!! :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This game is so goddamn depressing sometimes if you've played P3 :smith:

I can't wait for the P3 Protag to go to this party with everyone in 2 years! Oh Shinjiro is talking about how he should trust all the people younger then him and be more open. All these positive things!! :smith:

The constant times Margaret keeps trying to hint what is going to happen to Elizabeth is surprisingly depressing. It's basically a constant reminder P3 protagonist is gonna bite it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Zurai posted:

Hard is +20% damage taken, -20% damage dealt. I imagine Risky has bigger numbers in those places.
I dunno about the numbers in risky but you do game over instantly if the MC dies in risky.

Someone was trying to tell me the experience gains change between difficulties too but I haven't tested it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Holy poo poo OK, Thanatos's unique skill is cool and all, but his skill card is loving Infinite Link. Why yes, I do want to go back and build a link monster to go with my two Myriad Arrows monsters now, thank you.

(Orpheus Telos's card is Forked Spear, for the record. Dunno Magatsu Izanagi's since I havn't used it at all)

stayfrostycc
Jul 30, 2008
Magatsu Izanagi unique ability is multiple heavy cut attacks at the very end of the turn. That can crit and boost you. It's pretty great.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
For 2 dollars each, they really seem like some shameless cash grabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Fenris13 posted:

For 2 dollars each, they really seem like some shameless cash grabs.

They totally are, but I had money left over in my wallet and I have no willpower :shrug:

• Locked thread