Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

mysterious loyall Y posted:

Dark Souls, System Shock 2, STALKER and Deus Ex all suffer from a marked decline in quality towards the end of the game though?

Dark Souls has some really lovely areas towards the end like Lost Izalith, System Shock 2 just isn't as good in the latter half generally, STALKER has the bizarre teleport maze run and gun bullshit, and Deux Ex has empty areas like Paris that they had to cut down due to time constraints.

Also, thing dragging Vanquish down: I am only 23 and it's so intense it makes me feel like an old man. I can only play it in half-hour bursts or I start to feel overstimulated like an 11-year-old diabetic on a sugar high.

Sounds like you need to do some cocaine to play the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dark Souls has some really lovely areas towards the end like Lost Izalith, System Shock 2 just isn't as good in the latter half generally, STALKER has the bizarre teleport maze run and gun bullshit, and Deux Ex has empty areas like Paris that they had to cut down due to time constraints.

From Software developed the first level last in Dark Souls' case though, so they could use the rest of the game to know what to put in it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mentions Dark Souls has downsides

What have you done.

Tropico 5: The removal of the avatar system. I can't make my presidente yell at people to build faster or lead my military in shooting filthy rebels. Now its some dynasty system that I barely even use. I can have someone else in my dynasty be a manager, or sometimes a random event will happen where I can send someone from my dynasty to do a thing. Woop de doo.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
For a game based around 1. Tactical combat 2. Closing dimensional rifts that float pretty high in the air, Dragon Age: Inquisition's camera and view options in general aren't terribly well suited for either.

One of the reasons why the original Infinity Engine games worked so well was that the combat allowed RTS-level control of the battlefield. DA:I has really departed from that. I can't select multiple characters at once, I can't set waypoints for movement, I can't select a character by clicking them on the battlefield. I can't move my camera view over walls in tactical mode, I have to go through doors and up and down stairs like a schmuck.

One thing that really gets me, though, is the dimensional rifts that are often really hard to click due to being too far up in the air for most camera views to see. This is an action that I have to do several times on each level, why is it not the easiest thing?

I still like the game, though, I just wish I could like it more.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think they noticed that rifts were generally too high in the air later in development, because I've noticed almost all the ones in the later areas like Hissing Waste are just a head or two above the character instead of 15 or 20 feet up.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Enemies in Dargon Age Inquisition become extremely hard to hit with melee weapons if they're lieing on the ground or floating two feet in the air (those awful demon ice mages!). You can hit them, it just seems like the game has a hard time realizing you're trying to attack that enemy rather than swinging your daggers through mid air.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, that's happened to me a few times: I'll kick a guy on his rear end and then my first swing will wiff over him. Same if I try to use Devour while they're laid out, because it comes straight out like a punch.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lotish posted:

Yeah, that's happened to me a few times: I'll kick a guy on his rear end and then my first swing will wiff over him. Same if I try to use Devour while they're laid out, because it comes straight out like a punch.

It's not even the first swing for me. They'll just suddenly become completely unhittable.

A few things about the DA:I multiplayer:

The three enemy factions are pretty well balanced, except the demon boss is probably 10 times as hard as the other two. That sounds like an exaggeration, but it really isn't.

The main way you get loot is by opening treasure rooms during missions. Each treasure room is protected by one of three doors which can be opened by a warrior, rogue or mage. This adds nothing to the gameplay, but it does punish you for building a party that doesn't use all 3 character archetypes.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

The Moon Monster posted:

Enemies in Dargon Age Inquisition become extremely hard to hit with melee weapons if they're lieing on the ground or floating two feet in the air (those awful demon ice mages!). You can hit them, it just seems like the game has a hard time realizing you're trying to attack that enemy rather than swinging your daggers through mid air.

Annoyingly this also applies to ranged attacks, as they're always aimed at the torso. If your target falls over then whoops bye bye to half your shots and attacks that hit the ground in front.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Rome 2: Total War. No ingame skill tree? Really? I have to use this wiki and the wiki doesn't let me highlight the skills, I have to look at the tree, note which picture is down the line, then scroll down the page till I find the same picture and read what stats it has.

Shogun 2 had a skill tree, why remove that feature?

EDIT: Also, close proximity cities have to each other. Feels like field battles rarely happen cause anyone can just blitz across territory. Hell I conquered an entire providence in one turn cause all the cities were just that close to one another

Leal has a new favorite as of 02:14 on Dec 1, 2014

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I can't get over how horrifically overpowered Ryu Hayabusa is in Warriors Orochi 3.

You don't even need to do anything special to get him, he's a story character, you get him relatively early on to and you need nobody else for the entire game, keep in mind that Orochi 3 lets you field 3 units and this one guy can destroy an entire map without breaking a sweat, even without levels or significant upgrades he can still demolish enemy generals like it was nothing.

Its one of those things where I think maybe I shouldn't use him to add some challenge but then again, he's not a cheat character so gently caress it. :v:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this really counts but it annoys me that Titanfall doesn't have a campaign mode. I rented the game from gamefly without much knowledge outside of "big robots blowing poo poo up" a la Mechwarrior.

My Xbox is banned from Live for some reason (I bought it used and a few months later it was banned without an explanation. I'm assuming it was modded and the guy didn't tell me) so I'm completely unable to play the game.

It's ultimately my fault for not reading more into the game but it's honestly the first game I've ever heard of that's strictly online only with no offline campaign mode. I just wanted to blow stuff up with robots :(

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's not even offline bot murder fun time? gently caress.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Alteisen posted:

I can't get over how horrifically overpowered Ryu Hayabusa is in Warriors Orochi 3.

You don't even need to do anything special to get him, he's a story character, you get him relatively early on to and you need nobody else for the entire game, keep in mind that Orochi 3 lets you field 3 units and this one guy can destroy an entire map without breaking a sweat, even without levels or significant upgrades he can still demolish enemy generals like it was nothing.

Its one of those things where I think maybe I shouldn't use him to add some challenge but then again, he's not a cheat character so gently caress it. :v:

Try Kaguya or Mitsuhide Akechi. Get a good rank in Osmosis or whatever the musou recovery element is and win entire battles by doing nothing but pressing R1. Nuwa and Xaihou Ba make them look like jokes though. Hell, there are over a dozen characters that make Ryu Hayabusa look like a chump.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

No, not on 360 anyway. It literally will not let you do anything until you're logged into Live.

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

poptart_fairy posted:

I understand the logic behind devs focusing more on multiplayer than single player, but it's still frustrating. Bots are tons of fun, but most shooters don't have them anymore.

Anyways, the new Smash is great, but I have a few complaints. The biggest is that you're allowed to customize the controls- which is great -but it's tied to what name you're using. Even if I'm just starting another go at Classic Mode singleplayer I have to reselect my name every time. It isn't a big deal, but would it have killed them to default to literally the only name I have saved/used? Even worse, as far as I can tell Smash Tour doesn't allow for a custom name, which means I can't use the controls I've gotten used to. At least you can just let the bot play for you!

...until the final battle, where you're forced to play using the default controls. :sigh:

Also, Crazy orders only gives you one life. It's quite easy to get killed by incidental bullshit and ruin an otherwise perfectly good run.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

CoD is the only frachise with bots anymore, because Activision knows they'll sell a billion no matter what, so they don't cut things like bots and splitscreen that all the other shooters do to MAXIMIZE PRODUCTS SHIPPED (I'm looking squarely at you, Battlefield 3 you loving piece of poo poo).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
More of Rome 2: Total War:

Navies seem to be worthless, when you can just move your armies onto the sea and they'll become transports. When boarding happens it uses the combat strength of the people on the transport ship, so you say buy a ship explicitly for the navy that apprently maxes out at tier 2 units, or you can recruit a bunch of tier 3+ units, throw them on a transport and just board everyone and everything. I guess transport ships have weaker hulls so they are destroyed easier by ramming and artillery, but who cares when you can just use the faster rowing ability and catch up to units and board them? gently caress, the worst of it was when my trained navy dudes rammed and sunk a transport ship and loving ROUTED cause the troops on the transport were sufficiently scary enough to cause them to route just off proximity. What the gently caress.

The game seems to decide that all of my agents will die of old age at the exact same time. Also this is always timed in such a way that when my agents are finally getting good they roll over and die. Surely you can find a someone to be a spy that is younger then 35?

Then the diplomacy system... man. You know I wasn't hoping for something like Civ or Crusader Kings, but why the gently caress can I not trade provinces with people? Why can I try and convince people to war with one another, break their alliances and loving non aggression pacts, yet I can't tell them to actually STOP fighting one another? Its a real pain in the rear end when I have a good ally (I have to give the devs some credit here, the AI isn't so betrayal happy for a change) and specifically need them to secure a flank of mine, some rear end in a top hat rampages through their territory and its up to me to actually recapture them, and I can't loving hand them back. I don't want to take the responsibility of defending this place or rebuilding it dammit! And after kicking in the teeth of aggressors against my allies, having to game the system (fortify myself outside a city, tell the AI to attack it, hope they listen and wait for them to attack it while I provide back up) and they ask for peace I can't tell them "Sure, if you ask for peace with my ally as well". I step out of the war, in the 10 turns it takes before I can declare war again without losing reputation the guy already recaptured everything I just helped my ally take from him and with interest.

Also I dislike that I can't suggest someone to defend a settlement, this combined with the places being really close to one another problem and suddenly your AI ally will lose 4 settlements cause he has his stacks in bumblefuck nowhere. I can't count the times I've had an ally lose territory while loving about in my own territory.

EDIT: OH! And losing diplomatic relationships cause of agent actions. I thought these guys were supposed to be stealthy, how the gently caress do they know its me? I'm not even participating in this one war, but I want one party to win so I'm trying to subtly arrange the outcome by poisoning the other side's armies and suddenly they're pissed at me cause they somehow know I'm doing it.

Leal has a new favorite as of 09:13 on Dec 2, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nathan Drake talks too drat much about puzzle solutions. It's one thing to give hints when the player is clearly stuck and to space them out, but when you grasp the solution immediately and set about putting things in motion, maybe you don't need to hear all of the hints in quick succession while you're doing it. "Oh, these pedestals turn." I KNOW. I'M TURNING THEM. Best example so far was in Uncharted 2, when I revealed a keyhole towards the end, and Drake excitedly exclaimed "Three sided, just like the key!" Thanks, Nate, we've only been using this exact key on triangular keyholes four or five times so far, and we've also only been looking for precisely the keyhole, plus it's not like when I press triangle a huge inventory of things to use on the keyhole will pop up and I have to choose between the key and the rubber chicken.

And then you get stuck in a courtyard feeling like an idiot because the only hint is "climb to the window" and you go I KNOW, FROM WHERE because the patch of climbable bricks blends in with the background and something like "oh hey, some bricks" wouldn't have gone amiss during the last quarter of an hour.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 09:11 on Dec 2, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

And then you get stuck in a courtyard feeling like an idiot because the only hint is "climb to the window" and you go I KNOW, FROM WHERE because the patch of climbable bricks blends in with the background and something like "oh hey, some bricks" wouldn't have gone amiss during the last quarter of an hour.
This seems to be the most common problem with hint systems. They give you the really broad, obvious hint that you already figured out and just leave you sitting there going "I KNOW, BUT HOW?"

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Mildly Amusing posted:

I understand the logic behind devs focusing more on multiplayer than single player, but it's still frustrating. Bots are tons of fun, but most shooters don't have them anymore.

Anyways, the new Smash is great, but I have a few complaints. The biggest is that you're allowed to customize the controls- which is great -but it's tied to what name you're using. Even if I'm just starting another go at Classic Mode singleplayer I have to reselect my name every time. It isn't a big deal, but would it have killed them to default to literally the only name I have saved/used? Even worse, as far as I can tell Smash Tour doesn't allow for a custom name, which means I can't use the controls I've gotten used to. At least you can just let the bot play for you!

...until the final battle, where you're forced to play using the default controls. :sigh:

Also, Crazy orders only gives you one life. It's quite easy to get killed by incidental bullshit and ruin an otherwise perfectly good run.

In Smash Tour you can choose your name, I think you just hit Y after you "join." I know there's a prompt on the screen.

And in Crazy Orders, here's the tip: if a ticket has a little hammer in the lower right corner, it means that mission will have items. You usually want to avoid these because of the risk of the enemy getting a Hammer or something.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

TheSpiritFox posted:

In Far Cry 4 it feels like they shortened the activation distance for things. Like, there are "bells" you have to spin as collectibles or whatever and I have yet to just walk up to one and spin it. I end up circling the drat things rubbing up against it crouching and standing trying to find the sweet spot where I actually get the activation prompt. You have to be closer to chests. Sometimes those masks you have to find underwater I have to dive 3 times to find the right spot to actually activate them. Sometimes you can be too close, and you can't interact with things, but the ideal distance is closer than it wasin FC3 so it still fucks me up every time.

It's the most irritating random change in a game and I don't know what they did, it doesn't even seem intentional and yet I can't help but think some part of it was since they're using the exact same drat engine in this game.

They made using the "use" key a chore. How the gently caress do you even manage that.

Thank God it's not just me who feels like this changed for the worse.

There's also the issue of "too many drat tings assigned to the 'Use' key" (square on PS.)

Reload is just tap square...and search, swap weapon, get in a vehicle, use grappling hook, or any other sort of "use" is all hold square. But the "hold" window is, IMO, to small, so if you notice you're doing the wrong action, you rarely have time to cancel it before it completes.

So you kill a guy, and go to search him, but over half the drat time you'll end up swapping your weapon for his because you have to be super close and looking in the exact right direction to get the search prompt to pop up, but if you're within 50 yards you can totally swap weapons. Or you'll get into the truck that's parked sort of near him.

And Far Cry 4 has the same problem Far Cry 3 did, where you have to get to the top of a mountain, and there is ONE SINGLE PATH you can take, and that's it. And it's not like it's a mission where you need to go up one single way, it's just a drat collectible. And it's not like going up that single way is a puzzle or anything, it's literally just that the mountain is all steep slopes except on one side where it's walk-able. And invariably you will make the attempt to get the collectible from the furthest spot from that walk-able area.

They try to mitigate this by giving items like the grappling hook, but it can only be used in certain spots, and plenty of places don't have the grappling points. There's also a gyrocopter, but sometimes you're nowhere near one, and it's hard to know right then and there if it'll be quicker to fast-travel to one of the outposts that always has one and then fly it back to where you are...also the gyrocopter has an altitude limit that's a decent amount below some of the higher mountains, so it can't even always be used.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
This one is probably just me being a mega-dummy, but I don't understand how the reloading benches in Fallout: New Vegas are supposed to work. It seems I can make some 12ga buckshot ammo or something because I have the primer, lead and all that, but then it's not in my inventory after I confirm how much I want? The tutorials either seem kind of incomplete or really wordy.

That and the workbench crafting seem like nice ideas, but there's also just too much junk to keep track of. I went with the idea of taking points off of Strength because it worked well enough for me in Fallout 3, but it does mean that carrying around a bunch of junk with the aim of fixing it up later gets me bogged down easy. Think I might just sell the junk I have so far and pass on the whole feature (I'm at the part where you get to Primm, so pretty much at the start).

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I played 90 hours of New Vegas using nothing but default types of ammo and I feel like I missed nothing.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That might be a bug(the eternal refrain of the New Vegas player) the ammo should be in your inventory once the number comes up and you hit confirm. If you haven't already, try switching to a weapon that uses it and cycling through the available ammo types.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah I've put hundreds of hours in fallout in sure and never once used the reloading bench. I just couldn't understand where to get the stuff like primer and lead.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I played through New Vegas and the DLC during the summer and I barely touched the crafting system. I just bought ammo en masse from vendors and I found enough supplies while exploring/looting to keep me going. The main thing I did end up crafting was something to remove poison, because Cazadores sting like hell.

Having said that, a lot of the supplies needed to craft ammo are weightless by default. I remember just holding on to them instead of dumping them in the Novac motel room or a Mojave Express dropbox because it was less effort.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Yeah I've put hundreds of hours in fallout in sure and never once used the reloading bench. I just couldn't understand where to get the stuff like primer and lead.

You do find them occasionally, but mostly you obtain them by breaking down the ammo you don't want to use. Think of it not so much as creating ammo from scratch, but converting it.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Dec 2, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

rear end Creed: Black Flag:

You can no longer go around punching and shoving and swording and hidden blading and blade-hooking (no blade hook!) innocent civilians. In fact, the only way you can kill civilians is via pistol shot and various tricks.

Trees. Trees are loving terrible. Particularly when combined with the:

Overtly sensitive parkour system. Sometimes I have absolutely no idea where Edward is going to jump for no particular reason.

People no longer automatically drown when they hit the water, so you can't dispatch enemies in easy and fun ways by leading them onto docks.

The combat system is a bit unresponsive and non-intuitive. I get it - you got a lot of flack for the "counter-kill-kill-kill-counter" spam of 2-Bro-Rev, but... eh. Particularly eh when I can't pistol or smoke bomb in the middle of a fight.

Pistols are no longer a one hit kill. What the hell.

No more medicine. Again, I'm sure people were complaining about how simple combat becomes with it, but still. The only way to heal is to run away.

The ship combat annoys the hell out of me. Yes, it's me that's terrible, I'm the one who never really liked ships or pirates etc etc - but seriously, I pound a ship with cannons for minutes, it barely takes any damage, then I keep trying to get the "board" prompt when the ships health is nearly gone and I CAN'T until it has either severely damaged me or was blown up by an errant cannonball (and of course, three other enemy ships have joined in by now). Oh, and then I restart the mission and have to get the same speech and the same goddamn spyglass tutorial prompt that takes forever to go away even if I use the spyglass as the tutorial pops up (which should really be a given in general: "if the player has already used a certain mechanic, don't pop up an obligatory tutorial for it")

Might be my old computer, but the game is fairly sluggish in general, and incredibly unresponsive in menus.

I pick up an axe from a fallen guard. I check to make sure the axe is selected as my current weapon. I run up to another guard and attack him. I drop my axe and kill him with a hidden blade.

This is an old complaint in the series, but having your camera angle restricted, or better yet, forcibly yanked back when you try to move it is so goddamn annoying. I just want to look at the pretty sky, is that so wrong?

All the "nod nod, wink wink" stuff in the codex entries are just annoying. You can take potshots at soulless corporations if you're a tiny indie studio. When you actually are a giant soulless corporation, that poo poo rings really false.

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnpE0xlJ5Uc

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

If y'all weren't using the different ammo types then you weren't using the .50 HE rounds and ergo were, in fact, playing New Vegas wrong :colbert:

Xander77 posted:

The combat system is a bit unresponsive and non-intuitive. I get it - you got a lot of flack for the "counter-kill-kill-kill-counter" spam of 2-Bro-Rev, but... eh. Particularly eh when I can't pistol or smoke bomb in the middle of a fight.

Pistols are no longer a one hit kill. What the hell.

The ship combat annoys the hell out of me. Yes, it's me that's terrible, I'm the one who never really liked ships or pirates etc etc - but seriously, I pound a ship with cannons for minutes, it barely takes any damage, then I keep trying to get the "board" prompt when the ships health is nearly gone and I CAN'T until it has either severely damaged me or was blown up by an errant cannonball (and of course, three other enemy ships have joined in by now). Oh, and then I restart the mission and have to get the same speech and the same goddamn spyglass tutorial prompt that takes forever to go away even if I use the spyglass as the tutorial pops up (which should really be a given in general: "if the player has already used a certain mechanic, don't pop up an obligatory tutorial for it")

You can very much use pistols and smoke bombs in the middle of combat though? And pistols are also a one-hit kill. Well, maybe the bottom-rung pistols aren't, it's been a while, but I've cleared a number of ships by just emptying my brace of six pistols to make six dead guys in the middle of a fight.

Also boarding doesn't happen when you get their health low, like Pokemon, it happens when you deplete their health entirely. They go into an "on fire" animation thing, at which point you can either board them or finish them off.

Doomsayer has a new favorite as of 19:36 on Dec 2, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Sometimes I feel like the only person who didn't mind that combat in the Ezio games was easy as poo poo, and would have enjoyed AC3 and 4 a lot more period if they'd just kept it the same. Assassin's Creed 3 is like a textbook case study of fixing what wasn't really broken.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
So in Dragon Age: Inquisition is there a way to go to the war map without traveling to Haven? It's really annoying when you're working on quests in an area and then you have to travel back to Haven, summon the war council, and assign them to do poo poo when it seems like you should be allowed to just do that in the menu.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Doomsayer posted:

If y'all weren't using the different ammo types then you weren't using the .50 HE rounds and ergo were, in fact, playing New Vegas wrong :colbert:

This, but with the YCS/186 and Optimized Microfusion Cells. 182 damage per hit.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Leal posted:

More of Rome 2: Total War:

Navies seem to be worthless, when you can just move your armies onto the sea and they'll become transports. When boarding happens it uses the combat strength of the people on the transport ship, so you say buy a ship explicitly for the navy that apprently maxes out at tier 2 units, or you can recruit a bunch of tier 3+ units, throw them on a transport and just board everyone and everything. I guess transport ships have weaker hulls so they are destroyed easier by ramming and artillery, but who cares when you can just use the faster rowing ability and catch up to units and board them? gently caress, the worst of it was when my trained navy dudes rammed and sunk a transport ship and loving ROUTED cause the troops on the transport were sufficiently scary enough to cause them to route just off proximity. What the gently caress.

I was surprised to read this, because I've found that transports are so much weaker than actually navy ships that I'm just terrified to let my transports travel any farther than, say, Rome to Corsica without a naval escort. Any time I'd try to board an enemy ship with one of my elite infantry transports it would just get smashed into splinters when the other ship sees it coming and turns to ram it. I always have to distract them first, and the best way I can find to do that is to start ramming them with an actual naval ship and then board them from the side while they're engaged.

Not saying you're wrong, maybe it's just the AI reacting to your playstyle differently than it reacts to mine or something, but my transports always get totaled if I try sending them in alone. Maybe Emperor Edition changed it, though, it changed a lot of things and I haven't done a lot of naval stuff since it updated.

Unrelated, I just beat Infamous: Second Son for the first time and I really hated how fragile Delsin is. I feel like you have to be way too careful and conservative in your playstyle to not get killed. In both the previous games I'd fight by just charging in, punching and zapping everything in sight, where SS had me mostly trying to pop enemies from a distance and then ducking behind cover. It's not even a question of difficulty, I don't think I died significantly more in SS than in the others, I just feel like the last games had a more aggressive style to the combat that I enjoyed more. Still a great game, don't get me wrong, but I wish just charging in swinging your flame-chain like a maniac wasn't practically guaranteed to get you killed.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

DrBouvenstein posted:

Reload is just tap square...and search, swap weapon, get in a vehicle, use grappling hook, or any other sort of "use" is all hold square. But the "hold" window is, IMO, to small, so if you notice you're doing the wrong action, you rarely have time to cancel it before it completes.

So you kill a guy, and go to search him, but over half the drat time you'll end up swapping your weapon for his because you have to be super close and looking in the exact right direction to get the search prompt to pop up, but if you're within 50 yards you can totally swap weapons. Or you'll get into the truck that's parked sort of near him.

I finally picked up Far Cry 3 for PC and this is what I hate the most about it. You've got to go on the Great Belt Buckle Hunt in order to loot a dead body, and god help you if you're anywhere near a gun when you try it (NB: like 90% of dead bodies are bandits who drop guns). There's no reason these priorities shouldn't be switched.

Mierenneuker posted:

You do find them occasionally, but mostly you obtain them by breaking down the ammo you don't want to use. Think of it not so much as creating ammo from scratch, but converting it.

I actually liked converting ammo into crafted types, but it was pretty irritating that the crafting interface didn't actually tell you about what you were making. You had to make a bullet, exit the bench, open your inventory, go to the ammo tab, find the ammo in the list, and only then could you find out that you just made a mildly armor-piercing round that degrades your gun 50% faster. There's plenty of room in the interface to display those stats, too, they just . . . don't.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Bad UI's are a staple of the fallout series.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

scarycave posted:

Bad UI's are a staple of the fallout series.

Yeah all the people complaining about Fallout 3's inventory and color palette must not remember Fallout 1 and 2 being 90% brown and grey roofs and having to scroll through dozens of items 6 at a time.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
You're implying that a significant amount of people who played FO3 also played the first two.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

I played 90 hours of New Vegas using nothing but default types of ammo and I feel like I missed nothing.

Last time I played through the game, I found a mod that made combat more lethal and armour's base absorbtion a lot higher. It didn't do so much to make Hollow Point rounds useful, but it sure as hell made Armour Piercing rounds vital. Shooting a guy wearing metal armour with regular pistol ammo pretty much did nothing.

I think the health on Cazadors and Deathclaws was kept the same, so that might have been the point of Hollow Points. If you wanted to fight either of them for some reason?

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Jade Empire is pretty good, but the camera is absolute dogshit. Unless you stay in the dead centre of every arena, the camera is liable to clip into the wall or zoom in on the back of the character's head. The worst arena for this is in the Necropolis, where you have to fight this dead emperor rear end in a top hat who has an unblockable and undodgeable attack that has a range that covers the entire arena and steals both health and chi, recovering his own, and he seems to use this attack almost exclusively. He also doesn't get stunned easily, is immune to weapon and magic styles, and has an entourage of three of the most annoying enemies in the game so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Kaubocks posted:

You missed the greatest thing, 12 gauge coinshot. But with legion coins being somewhat rare, and each shell requiring 8 coins, I found that the fun with it was always fairly short-lived.