Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Dancer posted:

Can you maybe... explain it to me? Like, okay, I get that Ferguson is sorta representative for the politics around race in the US (and racial relationships for certain parts of the US). But is there any sort of double meaning there, or actual joke, that I missed?

I didn't get it either. I assumed it was a Clarissa thing, but I never watched it so the joke was lost on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Gen. Ripper posted:

Race war? So has he taken the plunge into literal white nationalism now?

I mean I know there's a good chance he did years ago but I don't pay attention to him, so.

He's been flirting pretty heavily with it for quite a while. Takes the fun right out of listening to crazy conspiracy theories, honestly. :sigh:

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CommieGIR posted:

Oh, its Florida, nothing to see here. They'll be just one of the biggest victims of climate change.

New state motto in a few decades

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
the sinking of florida reminds me that while climate change may be irreversible at this point, every cloud has a silver lining

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jagchosis posted:

the sinking of florida reminds me that while climate change may be irreversible at this point, every cloud has a silver lining

They'll need to rebuild new roads to replace the coastal arterials that will be underwater. :smug:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Jagchosis posted:

But if Florida starts to sink then other states will start to have more Floridians...

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jagchosis posted:

One of my favorite climate change related jokes deals with Scotland's attitude towards it. On the one hand, they're very worried about the global ecological ramifications, but on the other they get to watch the English drown, so there's that.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
My best friend is Canadian and his attitude is like "well sucks for you Yanks, but at least we'll have plenty of land that'll actually be made habitable"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

stinkles1112 posted:

But if Florida starts to sink then other states will start to have more Floridians...

Nah I got this idea from watching Fox News. You see we build this giant fence along the border and hire a bunch of armed guards to keep those people on their side of the fence.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

My best friend is Canadian and his attitude is like "well sucks for you Yanks, but at least we'll have plenty of land that'll actually be made habitable"

Too bad they're actively destroying it!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Brannock posted:

Too bad they're actively destroying it!

Yeah I left out the second part, "tar sands notwithstanding"

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Yeah I left out the second part, "tar sands notwithstanding"

It's not even just tar sands -- a lot of really good Canadian farmland in Ontario is being paved over to make room for suburbia.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Don't worry I hear permafrost makes great soil once it thaws.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
USPol has had a severe lack of the Coup for quite a while now. time to remedy that problem :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ_gFyB6GnA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jf_8pHCqf4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acT_PSAZ7BQ

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Say what you will about John Boehner, he's getting things done. Today he stopped giving money to Nazis. Tomorrow? Banning funding of penis pumps to help the disabled.

quote:

The Achieving a Better Life Experience, or ABLE, Act, could come up for a vote in the House as soon as this week. It would help the disabled save money to help pay for education, health care, transportation, housing and other expenses.

The $2 billion cost of bill is offset with a variety of savings proposals, including preventing Medicare from paying for “vacuum erection systems,” also known as penis pumps, which would save about $450 million.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Even when the owner of the business is there, in person, giving refuge to peaceful demonstrators there are people like this:

159 people agree. At least 159 people, possibly many more.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
These protestors need to start being civil and make their case heard silently somewhere nobody will notice them.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Internet Webguy posted:

These protestors need to start being civil and make their case heard silently somewhere nobody will notice them.

Love it or Leave it!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Protest not in the streets, but in the voting booth! Maybe it's time we started voting out these crooked cops!

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Medicare seriously buys $450 million worth of penis pumps every year?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

More like the Cock brothers.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

saintonan posted:

Must be one of those things where a former congressman owned a stake in a penis pump company and wanted kickbacks.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

saintonan posted:

No, that's the total amount for all the various savings.

Medicare only buys 172 million dollars of penis pumps a year.

(In seriousness: medical grade equipment can be pretty expensive, and Medicare is full of old people who need a little help getting it up. It's not actually that surprising an amount of money or pumps if each one is on the order of $500-1000, which wouldn't surprise me.)

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Joementum posted:

:lol: I didn't even notice that Edwin Edwards did well in the general election this year. He's in a debate tonight and looks like he'll take over Bill Cassidy's seat in Congress.

I went and double checked, Republican Candidates in LA Six received about 168, 000 votes to the Democrats 85,000ish. It's not looking good for the Silver Zipper :fork:

I'm really not looking forward to December Sixth :negative:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

saintonan posted:

Look, all I'm saying is that with the end of the Cold War, the Pentagon is having a harder time hiding its black budget in massive doomsday nuke projects.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

saintonan posted:

Listen man, it's hard buying up all the parts for your illegally modded potato cannon on a fixed income.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Kalman posted:

No, that's the total amount for all the various savings.

Medicare only buys 172 million dollars of penis pumps a year.

(In seriousness: medical grade equipment can be pretty expensive, and Medicare is full of old people who need a little help getting it up. It's not actually that surprising an amount of money or pumps if each one is on the order of $500-1000, which wouldn't surprise me.)

Not quite every year. 172 million between 2006 and 2011. And they get them at double retail price apparently.
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/penis-pumps-cost-medicare-172-million-report-article-1.1578951

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
so this is what "MAH TAXDOLLARS :bahgawd:" feels like

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Dancer posted:

Not quite every year. 172 million between 2006 and 2011. And they get them at double retail price apparently.
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/penis-pumps-cost-medicare-172-million-report-article-1.1578951

Gotta love how Medicare can overpay for devices and drugs and nobody bats an eye. It's like military appropriations, but for old people. Create a project that's a bitch to remove or modify without producing nasty soundbites against likely voters, but that ultimately also drives the deficit up giving you win/win when you aren't in power (not that anyone really remembers the splurge of 2002-2006).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pervis posted:

Gotta love how Medicare can overpay for devices and drugs and nobody bats an eye. It's like military appropriations, but for old people. Create a project that's a bitch to remove or modify without producing nasty soundbites against likely voters, but that ultimately also drives the deficit up giving you win/win when you aren't in power (not that anyone really remembers the splurge of 2002-2006).

Well, there is a medical device tax now that noted leftist Elizabeth Warren opposes.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Pervis posted:

An oversimplification of billing procedures and restrictions, but basically:

Medicaid pays a set rate on procedures, calls for generic drugs in all possible cases, and is very hash in how far it will extend to non standard treatments

Medicare just takes the bill from the provider and pays it no matter the treatment

Guess which one provides care to the most consistent and vocal voters out there?

Bonus round, guess which one we are told is unsustainable in terms of costs?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

An oversimplification of billing procedures and restrictions, but basically:

Medicaid pays a set rate on procedures, calls for generic drugs in all possible cases, and is very hash in how far it will extend to non standard treatments

Medicare just takes the bill from the provider and pays it no matter the treatment

Got anything to back this up because based on my understanding the part about Medicare is pretty much completely wrong

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

stinkles1112 posted:

Nah. The retirees will fund Netherlands-style sea walls and land reclamation for the coast, let the interior sink, and watch property values skyrocket.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

FYI prospective payment systems and DRGs have been a big part of Medicare for decades now. Saying they get a bill and then pay it jumps past oversimplification into just plain wrong territory

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

computer parts posted:

Well, there is a medical device tax now that noted leftist Elizabeth Warren opposes.

Why specifically? I could see opposing the tax because it's silly to tax something you are paying too much for. Or is there some major medical device lobby in MA?

edit: Yup, there's a decent chunk of stuff in MA. It's kind of a funny tax, when single payer (and actually negotiating better for drugs/equipment) would save more.

Pervis fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 3, 2014

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
This Ferguson thing is showing how ugly the midwest can get when race gets brought up. There was a die in that got substantial coverage at my alma mater (Missouri) and the school decided it would be a good idea to feature it on the FB page, resulting in a shitstorm of racist alumni leaking into the comments to condemn the school for supporting rioting and looting. This is ironic because the school administration itself gives 0 fucks that the campus is insanely racist and that vandalizing buildings to attack black students with racist graffiti on campus is practically a black history month tradition at this point.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cythereal posted:

Nah. The retirees will fund Netherlands-style sea walls and land reclamation for the coast, let the interior sink, and watch property values skyrocket.

There is no engineering solution whatsoever to keep Miami above water. Not that anything is going to be tried anyway.

quote:

Even worse, South Florida sits above a vast and porous limestone plateau. "Imagine Swiss cheese, and you'll have a pretty good idea what the rock under southern Florida looks like," says Glenn Landers, a senior engineer at the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. This means water moves around easily – it seeps into yards at high tide, bubbles up on golf courses, flows through underground caverns, corrodes building foundations from below. "Conventional sea walls and barriers are not effective here," says Robert Daoust, an ecologist at ARCADIS, a Dutch firm that specializes in engineering solutions to rising seas. "Protecting the city, if it is possible, will require innovative solutions."

Those solutions are not likely to be forthcoming from the political realm. The statehouse in Tallahassee is a monument to climate-change denial. "You can't even say the words 'climate change' on the House floor without being run out of the building," says Gustafson. Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, positioning himself for a run at the presidency in 2016, is another denier, still trotting out the tired old argument that "no matter how many job-killing­ laws we pass, our government can't control the weather." Gov. Rick Scott, a Tea Party Republican, says he's "not convinced" that global warming is caused by human beings. Since taking office in 2011, Scott has targeted environmental protections of every sort and slashed the budget of the South Florida Water Management District, the agency in charge of managing water supply in the region, as well as restoration of the Everglades. "There is no serious thinking, no serious planning, about any of this going on at the state level," says Chuck Watson, a disaster-­impact analyst with longtime experience in Florida. "The view is, 'Well, if it gets real bad, the federal government will bail us out.' It is beyond denial; it is flat-out delusional."

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

Got anything to back this up because based on my understanding the part about Medicare is pretty much completely wrong

We talking de facto or de jure, and A, B, C, or D?

Because for part A, since they never follow up on the diagnosis to investigate upcoding, it works out to "yeah sure whatever, here's a chunk of money, keep the change"

Part B is a mess because of the 1992 change, so now you get the regular "doc fix" to the formula for how much we will pay out for coverage. It ends up massively overpaying on average even though the idea is cap expenditures and the patient pays the rest.

Part C is the one where they merge with HMOs and that wanders off into the weeds (there's a reason HMOs loss credibility since the 90s, do not ask me about the idiot bastards who operate them unless you want a spittle flecked near incoherent roaring rant about them and relatedly the societal benefits of reviving the practice of the blood eagle)

Part D the point was that it would now cover all the expensive and name brand drugs, with social security kicking in Extra Help to cover the brand name stuff for poor people

That more in line with your understanding?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Pervis posted:

Why specifically? I could see opposing the tax because it's silly to tax something you are paying too much for. Or is there some major medical device lobby in MA?

edit: Yup, there's a decent chunk of stuff in MA. It's kind of a funny tax, when single payer (and actually negotiating better for drugs/equipment) would save more.

It doesn't solve any of the major problems with the medical device industry and the cost of the tax just gets passed on down the line. It's just some of the only revenue they were able to pass at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

FYI prospective payment systems and DRGs have been a big part of Medicare for decades now. Saying they get a bill and then pay it jumps past oversimplification into just plain wrong territory

Only if you ignore how prevalent upcoding is.

• Locked thread