Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sunshine Mix posted:

So I was wondering this last night...if the clone army was made in secret, how did they keep the construction of the blasters, dropships, spaceships, armor, etc secret? IIRC these were made by "established" EU companies like BlasTech, KDY etc and weren't made by the Kaminoans or Kaminoan clients building them in secret. Was there ever an EU explanation for that? Did Sifo-Diyas contact the equivalent of Lockheed Martin and ask them to develop new shiny spaceships on his lonesome and they we like, "Uh. Okay sure we'll forgo the deposit this time."

The primary Republic Fleet was built by Rothana Heavy Engineering, a subsidiary of Kuat Drive Yards. They built the fleet over ten years to avoid suspicion, and all the ships were secretly moved after construction so nobody caught wind of their intent before they were deployed to Geonosis.

KDY does most of the public business for the company, leaving Rothana to do the private contracts. Once the war broke out however, they didn't need to hide anymore.

BlasTech does business with anyone and everyone. A giant shipment of DC-15 series blasters wouldn't be much of a surprise when they are literally the largest gun manufacturer in the galaxy. And with a tiny three million man army, who's going to notice that shipment when the Corporate Sector's loving security forces outnumber the Clone Army?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunshine Mix
Jun 11, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

It's kind of mind-blowing that a movie that cost tens of millions of dollars was literally shot using the first pass of a rough draft of the script. I mean, I guess everyone figured they were getting a paycheck and selling a billion toys anyway, so gently caress it.

so wait that wasn't a joke

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Arcsquad12 posted:

The primary Republic Fleet was built by Rothana Heavy Engineering, a subsidiary of Kuat Drive Yards. They built the fleet over ten years to avoid suspicion, and all the ships were secretly moved after construction so nobody caught wind of their intent before they were deployed to Geonosis.

KDY does most of the public business for the company, leaving Rothana to do the private contracts. Once the war broke out however, they didn't need to hide anymore.

BlasTech does business with anyone and everyone. A giant shipment of DC-15 series blasters wouldn't be much of a surprise when they are literally the largest gun manufacturer in the galaxy. And with a tiny three million man army, who's going to notice that shipment when the Corporate Sector's loving security forces outnumber the Clone Army?

none of that was in the cartoon or 6 movies so it's non cannon.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm guessing this is a Karen Traviss quote.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
lightsabers kinda played out. did any jedi ever chow yun fat about with a couple of blaster pistols, deflecting incoming shots with fire of his/her own? that could be different and cool. nope. laser swords only

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Frostwerks posted:

lightsabers kinda played out. did any jedi ever chow yun fat about with a couple of blaster pistols, deflecting incoming shots with fire of his/her own? that could be different and cool. nope. laser swords only

hey now obi wan was really good with a sniper rifle.

Sunshine Mix
Jun 11, 2009
Okay another question. I know they have traditional, bullet-using guns in the EU.

What happens when a bullet hits a lightsaber? Deflected (makes no sense to me)? Vaporized? Suddenly the wielder of the saber has white-hot metal flying towards them?

enlighten me

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
why would you use the saber instead of just stopping them w the force entirely noob

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

loving destroyed, KOTOR.

then when they made Jade Empire they did the exact same thing all over again only now instead of spaceships and star destroyers you have airships and floating palaces, also the droids and holograms are golems and crystals and their Darth Vader analog has a literal kabuki mask instead of a metaphorical one and their Force Ghosts are just regular ghosts

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Sunshine Mix posted:

Okay another question. I know they have traditional, bullet-using guns in the EU.

What happens when a bullet hits a lightsaber? Deflected (makes no sense to me)? Vaporized? Suddenly the wielder of the saber has white-hot metal flying towards them?

enlighten me

the heated side of the bullet propels the bullet away. science man science.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Frostwerks posted:

Any time you come up with a not terrible idea for star wars its probably something thats in KOTOR2.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

In Shatterpoint, a guy stumbled into Mace Windu's tent begging for help, but Mace Windu thought he was drunk and kicked him out. The next morning, he discovers that the guy is dead and that he had been begging for help due to the wasps eating his brain from the inside out.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

dog buttz posted:

In Shatterpoint, a guy stumbled into Mace Windu's tent begging for help, but Mace Windu thought he was drunk and kicked him out. The next morning, he discovers that the guy is dead and that he had been begging for help due to the wasps eating his brain from the inside out.

what did he want winu to do put a laser in his head?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

TOILETLORD posted:

what did he want winu to do put a laser in his head?

Nah, a space otter taught Mace Windu the "Force remove space wasps from people's heads" technique.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

...of SCIENCE! posted:

and yet they still manage to have Tatooine be a major player in the plot, have a guy who looks and talks exactly like Yoda act as your character's master, have two protocol droids serve as your bumbling comic relief, give you a palette swap of the Millenium Falcon as your personal ship, and have the villain be a deformed sith with a facial prosthesis and modulated voice

KOTOR II is better about this kind of stuff.

TOR isn't, though. I remember a prison full of carbonited convicts.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
shatterpoint rules iirc

but then i read some book where they brought one of the characters back from that and was like noope

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

burritolingus posted:

KOTOR II is better about this kind of stuff.

I thought the undercity bits with the ghettos was good then you go to the sub-under-below-proto-neo-New York city and that's even more of a poo poo hole. I understand Coruscant has the same thing, rich upper section then as you descend further down below it turns into fallout with ogres instead of super mutants.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Aesop Poprock posted:

There's literally a clone of Luke Skywalker in them who is an evil Skywalker and his name is Luuke and he has a tiny evil goatee (he was made out of the hand that got cut off in empire strikes back) and nobody thought it was dumb at the time

Nobody thought it was dumb because he didn't have a tiny evil goatee, he didn't have any lines, and literally appeared and got immediately killed at the end of a story about the empire trying to remake a clone army using a cloned jedi to control them. I mean, it didn't really stand out.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

kingcom posted:

Any time you come up with a not terrible idea for star wars its probably something thats in KOTOR2.

did that really happen in kotor2? even the blaster bolt deflecting incoming shots? thats kinda cool tbh. makes more sense for some jedi honestyl

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Frostwerks posted:

did that really happen in kotor2? even the blaster bolt deflecting incoming shots? thats kinda cool tbh. makes more sense for some jedi honestyl

Not exactly. You could block them with your hand like Vader did in Empire. You can also reflect them.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
From what i remember in kotor eventually you didn't even have to care about people shooting at you like, at all

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Frostwerks posted:

Yeah, deflecting bolts was just something you could get if your force sensitive and some of the jedi you recruit are just way better at gunslinging than using a lightsaber.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

dog buttz posted:

Not exactly. You could block them with your hand like Vader did in Empire. You can also reflect them.

ahh i see. i meant shoot them out of the air with your own shots.

kingcom posted:

Yeah, deflecting bolts was just something you could get if your force sensitive and some of the jedi you recruit are just way better at gunslinging than using a lightsaber.

as it should be. seriously some dudes can shoot irl but that doesnt mean they're good at fist fighting. i imagine tehres an even bigger divergence with sword fighting too

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

burritolingus posted:

wasn't the carbonite freezing in ep V which takes place literally thousands of years later presented as this dangerous experimental thing that might not have worked?

i get that technology is ridiculously stagnant in the setting but it's still silly that they made it into a commonplace routine thing in a story that takes place 4,000 years earlier

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Otisburg posted:

wasn't the carbonite freezing in ep V which takes place literally thousands of years later presented as this dangerous experimental thing that might not have worked?

i get that technology is ridiculously stagnant in the setting but it's still silly that they made it into a commonplace routine thing in a story that takes place 4,000 years earlier

Yeah, Boba Fett was concerned about Han Solo being damaged by the process, if I remember correctly.

Carbonite freezing is a really stupid prison sentence though since you wouldn't be aware of time.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

dog buttz posted:

Carbonite freezing is a really stupid prison sentence though since you wouldn't be aware of time.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Otisburg posted:

Yeah, but because they constantly have to scrape through the original films for references and material, carbonite freezing is a normal process in TOR.

There's even a cosmetic item you can buy that lets you carbonite freeze yourself so you can regain health and force mana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un_zuPd0Odk

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Otisburg posted:

It's possible that the ESB freezing was more dangerous because it was being done in a facility designed to freeze Tibanna gas, not living captives? It was definitely dangerous - enough so that they froze Han to make sure it'd be safe to use on Luke - but some of that could have been due to the particulars of the situation, not just a well-established idea of carbonite freezing. Maybe all those TOR captives were frozen in a safe, designed-for-captives, freezing chamber instead of Lando's Tibanna freezer.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

FizFashizzle posted:

as bad as the EU was generally the thrawn trilogy loving ruled, was actually competently written, and if they had any sense they'd just have made that episodes 7, 8, and 9

It was actually really bad and I hope that episode 7 opens with Thrawn drunkenly crashing a Star Destroyer into a sun.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

burritolingus posted:

Best part is they had the nerve to insert this into Empire's storyline.
Huh? What's wrong with that? I looked at it and it got me in the feels :(

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Dumb that Darth built C3P0 and dumb that he recognizes a droid that looks like just about every other droid in the universe because apparently Darth was an unoriginal as a kid and just built droid recolors like he's some kind of Sonic fan (ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL). Also dumb that he's having a cry over a robot and then feels nothing for his real son and even chops his son's hand off.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh right, yeah. Okay. I guess all that other stuff makes it pretty retarded.

Taken on its own, and with only vague memories of what all these people get up to over the years, that one page did a pretty good job of making me sad right before bedtime!!

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Doctor Schnabel posted:

It's also dumb that a sith lord would risk appearing emotional and weak in a public setting.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

also it reminds you of the anikan built c3p0 thing which is another symptom of star wars having to just tie every backstory together in a rat-king like tangle

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

dog buttz posted:

It's also dumb that a sith lord would risk appearing emotional and weak in a public setting.

Well isn't one of the Sith's things that they have very powerful emotions in general, and let them run roughshod over them as opposed to the Jedi and their space-stoicism?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
pls don't defend dath vader crying over c 3po, goons.
it's just bad.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

ManMythLegend posted:

Well isn't one of the Sith's things that they have very powerful emotions in general, and let them run roughshod over them as opposed to the Jedi and their space-stoicism?

Sort of, but it's mostly emotions like rage, anger, jealousy, etc. Not so much nostalgia for one's childhood. Being seen crying over your pet robot would be an immediate sign for your apprentice to stab you in your sleep.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

dog buttz posted:

Sort of, but it's mostly emotions like rage, anger, jealousy, etc. Not so much nostalgia for one's childhood. Being seen crying over your pet robot would be an immediate sign for your apprentice to stab you in your sleep.

I don't take it as him crying though, maybe just a hint of remorse. This kind of fits with what was probably going through his mind at this point of Empire. Especially if you think he is sincere in his offer to Luke to join forces and kick the Emperor's rear end.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I've always wondered what's the deal with those three random alien guys palpatine is hanging out with in every scene in the prequel. Are they other senators? Do they work for him? Why did he invite them to the space opera? Are they all friends? Is there an EU comic book where they all hang out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Wolfsheim posted:

I've always wondered what's the deal with those three random alien guys palpatine is hanging out with in every scene in the prequel. Are they other senators? Do they work for him? Why did he invite them to the space opera? Are they all friends? Is there an EU comic book where they all hang out?

They're his crew.

• Locked thread