Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

Was he hitting that?

Once, he said it was terrible.

edit: If there was a bike route from my house to work I would take it. Otherwise I will be biking the the rail which will probably cost me a little less than gas and would reduce my vehicle upkeep costs.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folly
May 26, 2010

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Once, he said it was terrible.

Doesn't matter. Had sex.

Oh poo poo I'm an idiot. So, my 401k balance was over the max. I'm at a new company so the account was just created this year, so I just looked at the balance and saw it was over $17,500. I figured that the company would stop withholding when I hit the max, but it was my first time maxing it out. So I got on the brokerage's Online Chat help and I ask them what my options are. The adviser pulls up my account and says "It looks like you've only contributed $16,900 this year."
At which point it hits me that I was looking at balance, including growth, and not just my contributions. :negative: To their credit, the adviser gave me a few seconds to piece it together before launching into an explanation of why I was an idiot.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
It's not that you can't, but that you probably shouldn't. Not really because of the temperature*, mostly because of a combination of traffic and road conditions. I'm not familiar with the traffic patterns of Yellowknife, but I'm going to suggest that any community with fewer than 20 thousand residents probably doesn't see a lot of traffic.

Like Halifax (and probably everywhere that isn't in BC or in the path of a Chinook), ice is the main concern here and icy conditions mean more accidents. We typically see a third of the accidents in the entire year spread out through November, December and January because the roads are icy and motorists have trouble controlling their cars.

After a big snowfall it will take a while for the plows to get to all the neighbourhoods, meaning those streets are a quagmire of soft blown in snow for sometimes a week. Sometimes the city just won't plow certain areas for a while because it saves money. On lower priority streets that means the snow eventually packs and develops massive ruts. Those are simultaneously hard to get out of and hard to avoid getting into.

So it isn't the riding of the bike that is dangerous, it is the increased possibility of getting smucked by a car that gets a lot of people off their bikes in the winter around here. Best case scenario you're looking at maybe two out of five work days that the average cyclist would make out OK.

*There are legit dangers from low temperatures though. I'd guess that 3/4th of the days in the winter come with a wind chill at to below -25, frostnip and frostbite risks start at about -28. It is pretty easy to mitigate risks at those "warmer" temps, but pretty much every third day we will get -35 wind chills and maybe a half dozen days approaching -50. You're looking at some pretty high end gear if you want to bike an hour in those extreme temps.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

MMM is good to lead you into a certain state of mind. You might read something and have a bulb go on; maybe he gives a strategy for something you didn't think as possible, or maybe you'd just never thought about doing things that way. I don't take all of his advice, and he doesn't expect the reader to either — even as a heavy bike advocate, he has a pretty big number of posts on picking cars, including the most recent one.

Biking is feasible for way more people than they realize, even in winter. If you're within single-digit miles of your workplace, you can handle it on bike in a lot more places than you'd expect. Denver and Boston aren't even a question... even though it freaks a lot of people out, it's honestly not bad at all with a mountain bike.

The distance is a pretty key thing, though. There are a lot of places where it's not reasonable to live that close to work, and you need to be an enthusiast, not just a commuter, to deal with >10 mile bike commutes.

edit;

Have you ever tried riding a bike with the right tires through ice? That is the kind of stuff I'm talking about... it's not as crazy or as tough as you think it is. Honestly, you might be more safe on a bike because of your control. The temperature is brutal, though, so the combination likely makes it not worth the effort/discomfort.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 2, 2014

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Saying you can't ride a bike in winter is like saying you can't drive in winter because your front wheel drive sports car in summer tire slicks in the snow is dangerous.

Folly
May 26, 2010
When I rode my bike in winter (temperate USA winter, that is), I was never as worried about my traction on the bike as I was about the loving drivers in 2 ton cars sliding all around me.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

disheveled posted:

Have you ever tried riding a bike with the right tires through ice? That is the kind of stuff I'm talking about... it's not as crazy or as tough as you think it is. Honestly, you might be more safe on a bike because of your control. The temperature is brutal, though, so the combination likely makes it not worth the effort/discomfort.

I'm a newbie bike commuter currently, and we don't have snow yet but we will very soon. Standard mountain bike tires won't work for the snow and ice?

Also I rode home in 30ºF weather at night the other day without a jacket (forgot it at home), and it wasn't bad. With a jacket I hardly notice the cold after riding a couple of minutes. Gloves even more so.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

disheveled posted:

MMM is good to lead you into a certain state of mind. You might read something and have a bulb go on; maybe he gives a strategy for something you didn't think as possible, or maybe you'd just never thought about doing things that way. I don't take all of his advice, and he doesn't expect the reader to either — even as a heavy bike advocate, he has a pretty big number of posts on picking cars, including the most recent one.
Yeah, it's kind of weird when you see posts that seem to assume that he thinks literally everyone ever should follow his advice to the T. Apparently you need to litter your blog posts with endless exceptions and disclaimers if you don't want dense people to get really mad.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Knyteguy posted:

I'm a newbie bike commuter currently, and we don't have snow yet but we will very soon. Standard mountain bike tires won't work for the snow and ice?

Also I rode home in 30ºF weather at night the other day without a jacket (forgot it at home), and it wasn't bad. With a jacket I hardly notice the cold after riding a couple of minutes. Gloves even more so.

For the ten or so days that you'll probably have to really worry about it where you are, you can probably deal with it by sucking it up or using something other than your bike to get to work.

But at least try the ride in the snow before you rush out and get studded tires. Try a couple of times, and expect your budget thread to yell at you pretty much no matter what you do.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
The bike commuting thread in YLLS is very helpful, and like most threads on SA are good at pointing you toward equipment you actually need rather than flashy toys you dont.

Some stuff depends on your body. I don't even put on a long sleeve top until the temperature is in the low 40s, long pants below 40, etc. Some people are in a coat by 55.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Knyteguy posted:

Standard mountain bike tires are usually great for snow and slush, it's road bike tires that are a disaster. You'll have to see how you do on ice, it really depends on the road conditions. If they're pretty good about clearing and salting, then you should be set. If it's really icy and terrible on the streets you take, you might need studded tires, but that shouldn't be necessary in most cities with regular snowfall.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Here in Texas it's cold as poo poo because I refuse to turn on my heater. I'm wearing half my closet and the internal temp in the house is 69. But an 85-degree house in August doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'd love to bike to work but there is still the convenience factor in the winter. I gotta buy nice tires, and for me, a new bike. I gotta get gear that I can wear to work that is warm enough for freezing, but light enough to store at my desk. I have to get a decent bag to carry my lunch or gym clothes. I gotta find a place to park my bike unless I want it frozen to the bike rack in the garage.

I'd totally bike in the summer but right now I'd probably spend as much on gear and accessories to do it right as I will gas on the drive to work.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Assuming you have a bike frame that can fit wider tires (either ruddy or spiked), tires would be the most expensive piece. You'll have all that gear next year. You also don't have to get up earlier to defrost/warmup the car and brush off snow, or worry about your windows fogging up. If you have a good winter jacket, you'll only need fenders, a skullcap, a buff and gloves. Thermal leggings if it gets around 10*F or lower regularly. All of that stuff can be used regularly if you spend time outside.

I just started wintermuting this year and it's not nearly as bad as I expected (make sure you get a good buff). I used an old hybrid with 2.25" tires slightly underinflated when it's icy and my regular road bike when the streets are clear.

Why would it freeze to the rack in the garage?

icehewk fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 2, 2014

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I've biked for 10 years in Minnesota except maybe ~20 days a year with about a 2.5 mile commute, and I've learned these things:
  • Biking in <1.5ft snow / over ice is really easy with a mountain bike. If you make slow turns and stay straight it's incredibly simple.
  • Cars are terrifying. Had tons of close calls with cars not expecting a bike. Gotta go real slow at intersections.
  • Biking is more reliable than cars in heavy snows. I blow past slow-moving traffic.
  • Cold isn't an issue. Wind chill is an issue. It's mostly about having your skin covered. It's pretty hard to be cold on a bike as long as you're moving. Ski Goggles really help once it gets to single digits.

e: you don't need expensive gear to bike. It's all normal cold-weather stuff (jacket, snow pants, gloves, hat) and normal mountain bike stuff. The only thing you buy is Ski Goggles and maybe some Vaseline for your face.

DNK fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 2, 2014

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
A balaclava is a must have but they're cheap and just don't get cotton. Don't get cotton anything in the winter, you will sweat and it will freeze to your skin.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

xie posted:

A balaclava is a must have but they're cheap and just don't get cotton. Don't get cotton anything in the winter, you will sweat and it will freeze to your skin.

*ymmv depending on skin color

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Ya'll are retarded and not seeing the forest for the trees (or the kcups for the bicycles or something, I don't know).

MMMs big revelation isn't that cars are evil and you should bike everywhere, it's that you can put a value to everything, and if an expenditure has a higher value to you than the sacrifice you're making, it is reasonable thing to spend money on.

He's got an engineering background, so I don't find his approach surprising and it sits with me well. You need to do a quantitative analysis to see what your qualitative decision is going to cost you.

For example, cutting out $20 in coffee a month and investing the difference gives future-you more than $10,000 in 20 years with a pretty reasonable rate of return. It's not a lot of money but if you do a bunch of trimming of the small daily costs most of us don't think about, you can take years off of your working life.

Another example, if you need your car to get to work, work out how much it costs and see if it's worth it or not. A 200/month car payment plus 30 mile commute each way at us average gas and insurance is around $650 a month. Extra costs like maintenance, new tires, etc, just go on top of that, and this is assuming that your ~1 hour a day is worthless.

If you can find a job that is close enough to walk or bike for within $10k of your current post-tax take home pay, ditching the car may be economically sound even if you are making less. It may even result in an improvement in quality of life by stopping the wasted time of the commute. If this isn't feasible because of ~*~reasons~*~, that's no problem, but you need to work out how much of a sacrifice you are making either way.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I liked this thread better when we had the content or bad rule... There is a general chat thread in BFC too!

Aliquid posted:

Here in Texas it's cold as poo poo because I refuse to turn on my heater. I'm wearing half my closet and the internal temp in the house is 69. But an 85-degree house in August doesn't bother me in the slightest.
That isn't cold, that is target winter temperature. lol! I pay a couple hundred a month to keep my apartment at that temp in PDX. :(

xie posted:

Yes. I love my fleece one for skiing.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

*ymmv depending on skin color
Interesting.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I once dated a girl who had 5-digit student debt despite having all her education, housing paid for by her father and was upside-down on a Kia Sorrento with over 100k miles on it. She asked me if she should trade that in and roll her debt into a new Kia Sorrento. We kept the relationship strictly casual.

I get that parents want to let their kids fly on their own eventually, but dear god that's a case where a helicopter parent would probably be a good thing.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

xie posted:

The bike commuting thread in YLLS is very helpful, and like most threads on SA are good at pointing you toward equipment you actually need rather than flashy toys you dont.

Yeah, do look up stuff on commuting before jumping into it. On my ride home today (did 115 miles today, new personal best) it was about a half hour after sundown, I passed had coming straight at me, going the wrong way, 3 people wearing all back, with no lights or reflectors. :negative: Not that I think I have an invulnerability shield or anything, but much like motorcycling, when I look at the general population of people partaking, I'm surprised the fatality/injury rate isn't much higher.

Aliquid posted:

I used to play this game my last year in Japan, had a really heavy leather motorcycle jacket that could easily withstand any internal temperature in my marginally insulated apartment. Pointed a small space heater at my feet under the desk and I was good to go.

xie posted:

I've got two Underarmor ones (one for hot weather, one for cold), they're pretty rad and I would definitely recommend. They also help keep your hair from getting hosed up by your helmet (bicycle or motorbike).

Content:

quote:

Hello, reddit!
I need help and i've turned everywhere else i could go - so let's try you all shall we?!
2012 i buy a car for $29,000. It's a Mitsubishi Eclipse. Crazy, right?
Well, back then, i was Muslim - and heavily forbidden to use interest. So, my dad, as i was 20 at the time, spoke to the dealership for hours.
Thinking we won a deal, they gave us 0% APR, BUT added all the accumulated interest to the loan. Basically, a car that was work less than $20k, was sold for $30k with 0% APR.
This happened in the beginning of 2012. I currently am paying $500 A MONTH for this car, and it's killing me - literally making me scrape through the goddamn week.
I tried to trade it in, but i'm upside down. I still owe about $12k - and no dealership/third party car sales is willing to take this POS. even though my mileage isn't bad at all, I think I'm at 38,000.
So, help! I'm thinking about voluntary repossession. What do you all think?
P.S: my mom recently passed away (dont worry, this isnt turning into a sob story) so i had to start living on my own - which adds rent bills and what not. I get paid OK at work, but this car is literally kicking my rear end.
HELP.
Edit: I feel like i need to clarify that i have left the faith of Islam, therefore your interest-filled advice is indeed welcome. Edit 2: I KNOW IT WAS A TERRIBLE IDEA STOP YELLING AT ME I'm going to go get lunch drunk.

This guy didn't even really have the excuse of not knowing how much it was going to cost him with interest, he literally took a look at a $30k Eclipse and decided to go for it.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 3, 2014

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Saros posted:

10 mins waiting to get through the ticket barriers, another 10 on the platform while 4 trains go past before the crowd thins out enough to get on. By that point you just think "gently caress I could have walked it by now." :suicide:

Why aren't you getting the bus? It's so much better than the tube. Zero stress and you can sleep or read.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Yeah, do look up stuff on commuting before jumping into it. On my ride home today (did 115 miles today, new personal best) it was about a half hour after sundown, I passed had coming straight at me, going the wrong way, 3 people wearing all back, with no lights or reflectors. :negative:

Haha, my god, did you at least Eat A Carb this time? I can't imagine going more than twenty on protein powder, heavy cream, and cheesesteak.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 3, 2014

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
Agreed on the cycling front. I think the point is that you can easily bike a) a lot farther and b) in a wider range of conditions than most people tend to think. People reflexively rule out cycling if their destination is further than down the street. I used to ride about 6.5 miles each way to work and school, using a bike trail most of the way to school, and people used to look at me like I was insane. Especially when it got cold and I busted out the balaclava, scarf, and gloves. But it only took me about 30 minutes each way, faster than a bus commute.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Dang, and here I am with my Mr. Coffee drip machine and can of Hills Brothers. You guys really take coffee seriously.

Any of you guys know a way to save on cell phone bills? I'm paying $180 a month for 3 smartphones and that HAS to be bad with money.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

BigDave posted:

Any of you guys know a way to save on cell phone bills? I'm paying $180 a month for 3 smartphones and that HAS to be bad with money.

Take a look at Ting. Base of $6 per phone then everything else is purely usage based.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

T Mobile also has a pre-paid $30 plan that's 100 minutes, unlimited 4G, and unlimited texting. Depends where you live. Page Plus is a Verizon reseller, and Republic Wireless also gets talked about a lot too.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Pompous Rhombus posted:

This guy didn't even really have the excuse of not knowing how much it was going to cost him with interest, he literally took a look at a $30k Eclipse and decided to go for it.

I'm pretty sure Muslims are forbidden to loan money to people with interest, not take a loan with interest.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Btw cycling in London will destroy your lungs.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

BigDave posted:

Depending where you live, considering going pre-pay minutes with no data plan. WiFi is everywhere. In my town, my home ISP has free hotspots for customers all over the place. Maybe you really don't need 24/7 connectivity. Pre-load some podcasts or reading list pages. Download offline maps if you're going somewhere unfamiliar. If you're a transit commuter, buy a kindle and feel smug.

Right now we're paying an average of $30/month for two phones, and that's with a fair bit of international calling. I just don't text like I used to, and I simply plan a bit more ahead if I'm using transit. It was cool having access to the world's collective knowledge in my pocket, but it's not 2007 any more. There are cheaper ways.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

SiGmA_X posted:

I liked this thread better when we had the content or bad rule... There is a general chat thread in BFC too!
That isn't cold, that is target winter temperature. lol! I pay a couple hundred a month to keep my apartment at that temp in PDX. :(
Yes. I love my fleece one for skiing.
Interesting.

By PDX, do you mean Portland? Is living in parts of the country not naturally warm considered bad with money?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Poldarn posted:

I'm pretty sure Muslims are forbidden to loan money to people with interest, not take a loan with interest.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2006/jun/13/accounts.islamicfinance
http://www.islamicmortgages.co.uk/index.php?id=274

Actually, Muslims aren't allowed to borrow money with interst either.

Which leads to some interesting ways to get a 'mortgage' without going to hell:

quote:

First is the Ijara plan. This works by the bank buying the borrower's choice of property. The customer then agrees a set period of time to pay the capital back to the bank. While they are repaying the capital they pay a monthly rent to the bank spread over a term of up to 25 years. Once the capital is paid in full, the rent ceases and they become the owners of the property.

The other is the Murabaha plan. Again, the Ahli United Bank buys the borrower's choice of property. It then increases the price of the home (based on several factors including its price) and the customer pays back the higher price to the bank over a term of up to 15 years.

See, totally not borrowing money and being charged interest. Completely different.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

spog posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2006/jun/13/accounts.islamicfinance
http://www.islamicmortgages.co.uk/index.php?id=274

Actually, Muslims aren't allowed to borrow money with interst either.

Which leads to some interesting ways to get a 'mortgage' without going to hell:

See, totally not borrowing money and being charged interest. Completely different.

Also note that despite the bank owning the house in both of those circumstances, the contract is carefully structured so that you have to do all the maintenance, carry the hazard insurance, have no tenant's rights, and otherwise have 0 protections of being a renter with all the upside of also having no equity!

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

spog posted:

They are totally different. I think many people would agree that the "evil" of interest is the fact that it compounds and causes the debt to grow. In both of the examples posted, that does not happen. Those are pretty reasonable as far as rules-lawyering goes.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Seems like a pretty lousy workaround to me. Just 'cause it's all charged up front doesn't mean it's not interest. An upcharge by any other name would smell as sweet to the banks

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

xie posted:

T Mobile also has a pre-paid $30 plan that's 100 minutes, unlimited 4G, and unlimited texting. Depends where you live. Page Plus is a Verizon reseller, and Republic Wireless also gets talked about a lot too.

T Mobile $30 plan is the loving way to go. It's easy enough to use google hangouts to make calls with Wifi, it's just that it won't be from your number.. I usually just text the person saying, "hey, I'm about to call you from google".

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Not a Children posted:

Seems like a pretty lousy workaround to me. Just 'cause it's all charged up front doesn't mean it's not interest. An upcharge by any other name would smell as sweet to the banks

No, you're paying a set amount as the "interest" - western interest rates are compounding, this is not.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

No, you're paying a set amount as the "interest" - western interest rates are compounding, this is not.

Scheduled interest in a mortgage is not compounding. All they are doing is taking the actual scheduled interest and front loading it removing any possibility of prepayments for the fiction of not being charged interest.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
This. The numbers all balance out the same to the bank, it's just a way of the borrower getting what he needs, within the constraints of religious rules - or at least appearing to do so.

Centripetal Horse posted:

I think many people would agree that the "evil" of interest is the fact that it compounds and causes the debt to grow.

AFAIK, Islam has a problem with interest, full stop. Not the type of interest.

quote:

Central to Islamic finance is the fact that money itself has no intrinsic value, it is simply a medium of exchange. Each unit is 100% equal in value to another unit of the same denomination and you are not allowed to make a profit by exchanging cash with another person. A Muslim is not allowed to benefit from lending money or receiving money from someone.

Which if you follow the spirit of the law, you shouldn't be able to own anything that you can't pay cash for.

Great when a goat was an aspirational purchase. Not so good when you need a family house in the suburbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

What the hell are you guys talking about? Do you know what compound interest is?

"western interest rates are compounding" LMAO.

Also, small nitpick from a couple of pages back. Denver has a very mild climate. MMM is not roughing it by riding his bike.

• Locked thread