Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Where's the future going for really excellent picture quality/blacker blacks when these last plasmas are gone? OLED? I'm having a lame worry fit that if I don't jump on a F8500 now, I'll be stuck shopping LED sets forever. It's especially dumb because I've got a fully functional 60" Aquos already, though it's about 3 years old at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

sirbeefalot posted:

Where's the future going for really excellent picture quality/blacker blacks when these last plasmas are gone? OLED? I'm having a lame worry fit that if I don't jump on a F8500 now, I'll be stuck shopping LED sets forever. It's especially dumb because I've got a fully functional 60" Aquos already, though it's about 3 years old at this point.

Oled is/will be the replacement for plasma. It has basically perfect blacks as no charge is required like on plasma. They just need to work on larger sizes and motion at this point, and price of course. The $3000-$3500 EC9300 from LG is great but only 55". Their 65" set is gonna be $10k when it ships though id expect $5k street prices within 6m on that.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

sirbeefalot posted:

I feel the same way. That's the main reason I would lean towards spending an extra $700 to buy the F8500 versus the H5000. But for my circumstance and lighting situation I feel like the H5000 would be suitable.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Just got the F5300 Plasma, upgrading from a Panasonic 42" 720p Plasma from like 2008. It looks very good, viewing angle is excellent. Glare is pretty bad - I had a painting with glass over it directly opposite, and in mostly dark with a bit of light scenes, the light would reflect off the painting and be visible in the dark parts of the picture. I moved the painting and things are decent now. I would not have it opposite windows or low hanging lights.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Any informed opinions on this upconverting U-vision cable from Seiki? I've got one of their cheap 4ks, and while it's fantastic for the cost its scaler is pretty mediocre. I just found out that this cable got pushed out earlier this year, and the few user reviews I've found on this thing make it sound it works reasonably well and can produce visible improvements in picture quality(at least on Seiki sets with their miserable internal scalers). At that price I'd just buy it and see, but the idea of a pricey cable improving image quality always sounds kind of sketchy to me.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
You bastards cursed my Vizio P series. I turned it on this afternoon and there were two large darker spots on the right side. Apparently it's a known issue and they're working on a firmware but there's no ETA. My wife said, "let's just take it back and get that Samsung" which I was all excited about until I found out that there out of stock virtually everywhere at the moment.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

suddenlyissoon posted:

You bastards cursed my Vizio P series. I turned it on this afternoon and there were two large darker spots on the right side. Apparently it's a known issue and they're working on a firmware but there's no ETA. My wife said, "let's just take it back and get that Samsung" which I was all excited about until I found out that there out of stock virtually everywhere at the moment.

Which samsung? Our costco had stacks of the65 and 60 7150's

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

Which samsung? Our costco had stacks of the65 and 60 7150's

60 inch 8550. I'd have to get it at Best Buy or Amazon because I wouldn't have that much cash to throw down at Costco.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
gently caress, the Samsung 7150 just jumped way up in price.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Ok so I got the 65" 7150 and I love everything about it EXCEPT for the slight flashlighting in the corners when viewing letterbox movies.

I thought that with the "micro dimming" stuff it advertises this wouldn't be much a problem. Can't it just dim those areas when viewing movies with black bars at the top and bottom? Is there some setting I need to enable? I thought it would have been "cinema black" but I tried that it was super annoying, the brightness was fluctuating all over the place. I know that dimming can eliminate the problem, because when I turn the backlight down (or when my room is pitch black with eco sensor enabled) the flashlighting disappears completely.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

the nicker posted:

Ok so I got the 65" 7150 and I love everything about it EXCEPT for the slight flashlighting in the corners when viewing letterbox movies.

I thought that with the "micro dimming" stuff it advertises this wouldn't be much a problem. Can't it just dim those areas when viewing movies with black bars at the top and bottom? Is there some setting I need to enable? I thought it would have been "cinema black" but I tried that it was super annoying, the brightness was fluctuating all over the place. I know that dimming can eliminate the problem, because when I turn the backlight down (or when my room is pitch black with eco sensor enabled) the flashlighting disappears completely.

It honestly depends on where the backlight is on that particular TV.

On my W900a, it's edge lit from the sides. Because of that, it can turn off the upper and lower segment during letterbox movies and get bars that are actually better than my plasma was able to do because they are totally blacked out.

However, the newer W900b is edge lit from the bottom only. So, while it can do local dimming, it has to do it with vertical columns in the TV instead of horizontal bands like the W900a. As a result, it's not able to completely black out the letterbox bars.

So, that may be the case with the Samsung. I'm not sure where the backlight is on it, but if it's not edge lit from the sides, it can't totally black out the letterbox bars.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

drat, I was expecting the 7150 to stay at $1500 for the 65" for awhile. Guess I'm stuck with my 5300

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I've been asked to suggest a TV that will be used as a monitor, primary purpose for presentations. Won't be used as a TV but may be used for video games. 60-72" and will be wall mounted. Prefer a less expensive model that is still good quality.

I haven't yet been told a budget for this, but I'm open to suggestions in any case.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

All Samsung's went up a whole bunch of money because their "black friday" prices expired (they ran them for about 2 weeks). They'll probably go back on sale the week before or after Christmas.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ranma posted:

drat, I was expecting the 7150 to stay at $1500 for the 65" for awhile. Guess I'm stuck with my 5300

The 5300 plasma is a better tv than the 7150 as far as picture goes

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I've been asked to suggest a TV that will be used as a monitor, primary purpose for presentations. Won't be used as a TV but may be used for video games. 60-72" and will be wall mounted. Prefer a less expensive model that is still good quality.

I haven't yet been told a budget for this, but I'm open to suggestions in any case.

Assuming lights will be on, get an LG with an IPS screen.

the nicker posted:

The joys of an edge lit tv. They almost all have flashlighting somewhere. I recommend turning the backlight down and getting used to a dimmer display. You can also turn contrast up which can increase overall brightenss but should not raise flashlighting

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

The 5300 plasma is a better tv than the 7150 as far as picture goes

Hmm that is good to hear. The reflection is really, really bad but I guess I'll just keep the lights down when watching movies.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ranma posted:

Hmm that is good to hear. The reflection is really, really bad but I guess I'll just keep the lights down when watching movies.

Ahh, if reflection is a problem see if you can get the 8500

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

No. You are basically paying for the higher resolution

The 7150 has higher contrast, darker blacks, and lower input lag
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/samsung/hu8550

http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/samsung/h7150

Based on that link the input lag is 43.4ms on the 7150. I have been looking for a TV to put up in my loft for video games with the kids, does that rule it out as a contender? Are there better options for a large TV for this purpose given that I don't care about 3d or about 4k?

EDIT: Also, the 51" 8500 is 999 bucks right now. Is that a steal? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...90071&cp=1&lp=1

Kaedric fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 3, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Kaedric posted:

Based on that link the input lag is 43.4ms on the 7150. I have been looking for a TV to put up in my loft for video games with the kids, does that rule it out as a contender? Are there better options for a large TV for this purpose given that I don't care about 3d or about 4k?

EDIT: Also, the 51" 8500 is 999 bucks right now. Is that a steal? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...90071&cp=1&lp=1

Response time is not a problem. Here's a sample of me destroying everyone in Destiny with the 7150, not in game mode (I'm leidend)

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
I'm looking at buying the Samsung Plasma H5000 from Amazon. What are your thoughts on the extra warranty? What are the odds I will need it for this TV?

Is the Amazon warranty legit? I'm assuming it is...

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Are there disadvantages to plasma if used as a PC monitor occasionally?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AzCoug posted:

I'm looking at buying the Samsung Plasma H5000 from Amazon. What are your thoughts on the extra warranty? What are the odds I will need it for this TV?

Is the Amazon warranty legit? I'm assuming it is...

Depends on the cost of the warranty. If you are a costco member you can buy a squaretrade warranty there for a big discount.

dalstrs posted:

Are there disadvantages to plasma if used as a PC monitor occasionally?

What do you mean, are you typing word documents on it? or do you mean playing games. Also for how long and how much is occasionally.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Depends on the cost of the warranty. If you are a costco member you can buy a squaretrade warranty there for a big discount.

Even if you didn't buy it there?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AzCoug posted:

Even if you didn't buy it there?

Yes, as long as its an authorized retailer. For tv's over $1000 its $90 for 3 extra years (so 4 total, 1 manufacturer + 3 year square trade) For like $599 to $999 i think its $60

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Yes, as long as its an authorized retailer. For tv's over $1000 its $90 for 3 extra years (so 4 total, 1 manufacturer + 3 year square trade) For like $599 to $999 i think its $60

Already bought the Square Trade that was offered through Amazon. $129 for 5 Years.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't know if anyone else ran into this issue with their Sharp Aquos Q+, but I had a green spot from a backlight malfunction or some such issue for a while. Pretty good sized spot, too. Sharp customer services has a great turn around time and after sending them photos of different scene types they called me today and told me they would be sending a delivery team to remove my TV and replace it with a brand new one. Aces! They also had offered to give me a receipt to go to Best Buy and have them exchange it for a brand new one if I wanted an immediate replacement. If you have some weird problem with a TV from them don't put off making the call.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Don Lapre posted:

What do you mean, are you typing word documents on it? or do you mean playing games. Also for how long and how much is occasionally.

My usage would mostly be TV or FireTV, but sometimes when friends are over we will play some multiplayer games or look at web pages/videos on it.

I currently have the Vizio 4k TV that Sam's put on sale, but it has a screen issue and i wonder if I might be better off going for a plasma instead.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

dalstrs posted:

My usage would mostly be TV or FireTV, but sometimes when friends are over we will play some multiplayer games or look at web pages/videos on it.

I currently have the Vizio 4k TV that Sam's put on sale, but it has a screen issue and i wonder if I might be better off going for a plasma instead.

Ok, i wouldn't worry too much about that. If you are concerned just full screen the browser.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
How to people make their plasmas child-safe? I have a 42" plasma and I would love to get a 60" for the rec room but both have me worried that my kid will get crushed.

I still have memories of my parents 74" x 74" monstrosity of an 80s media center that my dad never anchored to the wall and I thought would kill me as a child.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

WeaselWeaz posted:

How to people make their plasmas child-safe? I have a 42" plasma and I would love to get a 60" for the rec room but both have me worried that my kid will get crushed.

I still have memories of my parents 74" x 74" monstrosity of an 80s media center that my dad never anchored to the wall and I thought would kill me as a child.

Wall mount it and put something like this on it

http://www.amazon.com/51-TV-ProtectorTM-Stylish-Screen-Protector/dp/B0030HY66Y

My kids havn't bothered my plasma though as far as touching or throwing things at it.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Don Lapre posted:

Wall mount it and put something like this on it

http://www.amazon.com/51-TV-ProtectorTM-Stylish-Screen-Protector/dp/B0030HY66Y

My kids havn't bothered my plasma though as far as touching or throwing things at it.

I'm not sure if the studs are spaced well enough or stable enough to mount a TV.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

WeaselWeaz posted:

I'm not sure if the studs are spaced well enough or stable enough to mount a TV.

Unless you live in a trailer then you should be fine.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

My parents are getting a new TV. They're interested in this one.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-KDL60R510A-60-1080p-120Hz-Class-LED-HDTV/37332616

Is this good for the price? From a little bit of research it seems like it to me, but I don't know much about TVs so I figured it'd be safe to ask here first and make sure there isn't some glaring flaw I'm missing.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
My TV from 2009 is starting to go south on me and it's probably time to upgrade. However it seemed that was a perfect time for input variety as my TV has crap like a vga and s-video input, I use the VGA constantly via my PC and the s-video from time to time on old game systems. I'm not shocked to see s-video gone but there doesn't seem to be anything out there with a VGA input either. Perhaps it's due to the age of my set but my PC over HDMI always looked bad, has this improved? Does doing things like looking at a text heavy website look ok on modern tv's with PC's via HDMI, or is it still mostly limited to just gaming?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
I think you had some dodgy settings on your PC or TV for HDMI to look worse than VGA. VGA is always less sharp than HDMI or DVI, especially at higher resolutions (though VGA technically supports a higher resolution than early HDMI specs).
Even with PC monitors i can see the difference if i have 2 hooked up and one is VGA and one is DVI the VGA one will look less sharp.
Few new devices have a VGA output natively so i imagine adding VGA ports to TV's is not a huge priority anymore.

I used my TV as a monitor for my PC for months (including text browsing) and i've never had a issue with text.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I currently own a Panasonic P50ST60A plasma, and I'm about to throw it off my balcony.

I'm about to get some new surround sound speakers that will require an amp, and I'll be god damned if there isn't a fix for the HDMI lip-sync issue.

Up until now I've run my devices over Optical to avoid it, getting up and swapping the input from the PS4 to the Xbox, to the Apple TV and I'm kind of over it. My Australian model doesn't get the firmware updates that sort of kind of not really help with it, and so I'm looking at selling it.

Is there anything similar to this model, and if not (which I don't think there is) is there a 50-55" LED panel that doesn't have or can have it's soap opera effect turned off?

Thanks in advance for any help

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yeast posted:

I currently own a Panasonic P50ST60A plasma, and I'm about to throw it off my balcony.

I'm about to get some new surround sound speakers that will require an amp, and I'll be god damned if there isn't a fix for the HDMI lip-sync issue.

Up until now I've run my devices over Optical to avoid it, getting up and swapping the input from the PS4 to the Xbox, to the Apple TV and I'm kind of over it. My Australian model doesn't get the firmware updates that sort of kind of not really help with it, and so I'm looking at selling it.

Is there anything similar to this model, and if not (which I don't think there is) is there a 50-55" LED panel that doesn't have or can have it's soap opera effect turned off?

Thanks in advance for any help

Most home theater receivers have lip sync adjustment. Also every tv can have motion interpolation (soap opera effect) turned off.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
This thread and the Black Friday sales made me do bad things. It made me buy a 55" Samsung 7150 to replace my Hitachi 51F59 rear projection from 2006.

...that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Wife had a bad case of sticker shock when I brought it in, and I have to admit that after spending a grand on a television I was having a bit of buyer's remorse. Until I turned on the Samsung, that is. She loves it, I love it, it's a night and day difference compared to the Toshiba. I've barely touched the settings on the Samsung, just changed the picture mode off dynamic to standard and lowered the brightness a bit. It looks amazing.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful posts and reviews. I love my new TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 3, 2004

careful!
Hey guys, any advice on the 60" LCD/LED TV's in the approx. $1k price range at Costco? I prefer to get it there for their 90 day return policy. I feel I can go either way between the Sony kdl-60w610b and the Samsung un60h6300a at about the same price ($1k for the Sony and $1090 for the Samsung). Anyone have any strong opinions about one brand over the other? We will only use it to watch movies and TV shows.

80k fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 8, 2014