Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xeose4
Sep 22, 2014
This is the kind of thing I don't like about this game. There's no rhyme or reason as to what changes between timelines beyond "whatever the game can use to berate the player for their choices." That's tacky game design.

I mean, the game does enough things pretty well that this type of forced nonsense feels really out of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

This game exists to troll Sigma at every turn.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Super Jay Mann posted:

This game exists to troll the player at every turn.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

xeose4 posted:

This is the kind of thing I don't like about this game. There's no rhyme or reason as to what changes between timelines beyond "whatever the game can use to berate the player for their choices." That's tacky game design.

Ah, yes, the Spec Ops: The Line philosophy of game writing: "You're a terrible person for buying/playing/liking this game!"

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

dotchan posted:

Ah, yes, the Spec Ops: The Line philosophy of game writing: "You're a terrible person for buying/playing/liking this game!"

Spec Ops: The Line had an actual point: it deliberately disguised itself as a mindless war-shooter clone and then berated you for liking those. There was a logic there that made perfect sense, though you could definitely argue about its execution.

This game never pretends to be anything but what it is, it goes as far as to call itself "good people die" and presents a pretty morally gray situation throughout it. What's the point in changing things so that the player is always wrong?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

xeose4 posted:

This game never pretends to be anything but what it is, it goes as far as to call itself "good people die" and presents a pretty morally gray situation throughout it. What's the point in changing things so that the player is always wrong?

Probably because the AB game's structure means that being near-death or near-victory is much more narratively interesting for future story branches than a 0 point double betray tie in the first round would be.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

xeose4 posted:

Spec Ops: The Line had an actual point: it deliberately disguised itself as a mindless war-shooter clone and then berated you for liking those. There was a logic there that made perfect sense, though you could definitely argue about its execution.

Because we're literally hopping into alternate universes. Not the same universe at a different choice. It's like in 999 except Sigma is Akane now. In fact WE the player have become Akane. In that we're only betraying Tenmyouji to see how far down his line we'll get, so we can find the bomb passwords. We have become detached from the pain and suffering of the characters and that in millions of other universes, they'll die. Just like Akane would casually let Junpei die when she had reached a dead end.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Onmi posted:

Just like Akane would casually let Junpei die when she had reached a dead end.

To be fair, she died first in two of those bad endings. And she was too far off to help in Knife.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

To be fair, she died first in two of those bad endings. And she was too far off to help in Knife.

I don't mean present Akane, past-Akane did, Every time you get a bad end Past-Akane abandons preset-Junpei to his fate because "That wasn't the right choice."

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
The game has already addressed the oddity of the shifting Ally/Betray choices in this update where we Betrayed Alice in the first round after we pick Ally Alice previously before in the same round. It's been a while but I suggest it be reread if someone forgot about it.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

lotus circle posted:

The game has already addressed the oddity of the shifting Ally/Betray choices in this update where we Betrayed Alice in the first round after we pick Ally Alice previously before in the same round. It's been a while but I suggest it be reread if someone forgot about it.

That doesn't actually answer anything though - I think Phi tries to explain it in one of Fedule's later updates, but it's pretty much just *handwave* the future can affect the past *mystical bullshit pretending to be science by using the word quantum*. It's not worth getting upset about on a story level because all time travel stories fail on some level, but I do dislike it on a game level because if it's your first redone branch, it robs the player of the joy of using their powers to change to the "right" answer, which is half the fun of being able to bring information between timelines anyway.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
No need to get your panties in a bunch over this. We're not trying to win a game, we're reading a novel.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

tiistai posted:

No need to get your panties in a bunch over this. We're not trying to win a game, we're reading a novel.

Nobody is getting upset here, dude makes a genuine point. The ally/betray choices have lost any tangible impact because we need to pick them to see the story. Which now has greater threats than the nonary game losing conditions.
This is why I said it would be better if Sigma would slowly become more and more jaded with his choices as we open up branches. He's done this poo poo before so "No Sigma Whyyyyyyyy?" shouldn't elicit as much of a response from him.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Ehhhh. Sure, game. Par for the course, I guess.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Revenge of the quantum anime blue shell.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Aumanor posted:

Ehhhh. Sure, game. Par for the course, I guess.

It really is, if you stop to think about it.

Cyan/Ally - Alice Betrays
Cyan/Betray - Alice Allies

Yellow/Ally - Tenmyoji Betrays
Yellow/Betray - Tenmyoji Allies

Magenta/Ally - Luna Allies
Magenta/Betray - Luna Allies

One of these things is not like the other. :tinfoil:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

luna would never betray us

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Cake Attack posted:

Huh, and since the game finally showed us that Dio is actually a traitorous lying pig, maybe we'll find out that Luna's actually nothing more than a sweet angel?.. Seems impossible but at least there's a glimmer of hope

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Oh yeah? Care to go back and test it now that there's a timeline where we've betrayed her? :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

W.T. Fits posted:

It really is, if you stop to think about it.

Cyan/Ally - Alice Betrays
Cyan/Betray - Alice Allies

Yellow/Ally - Tenmyoji Betrays
Yellow/Betray - Tenmyoji Allies

Magenta/Ally - Luna Allies
Magenta/Betray - Luna Allies

One of these things is not like the other. :tinfoil:

Clearly Luna is a robot, and thus not subject to the laws of morphogenesis.

The other question is, are we going to Betray again to get out? We should be paired with Clover again, so it means she could get out as well.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Onmi posted:

Because we're literally hopping into alternate universes. Not the same universe at a different choice. It's like in 999 except Sigma is Akane now. In fact WE the player have become Akane. In that we're only betraying Tenmyouji to see how far down his line we'll get, so we can find the bomb passwords. We have become detached from the pain and suffering of the characters and that in millions of other universes, they'll die. Just like Akane would casually let Junpei die when she had reached a dead end.

Maybe that's the point.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I just had a completely random thought.

We're obviously not on the moon, but things quite aren't right, we need a suit for outside and they seem way too heavy duty to be hazmat.

What if they're actually on Mars?

The Red Planet is desert-like , it has it's own moon (moons in fact), it's gravity is a little different but not too much so from Earth but the atmosphere doesn't make it safe to be outside of domes without such a heavy suit.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

We're obviously not on the moon, but things quite aren't right, we need a suit for outside and they seem way too heavy duty to be hazmat.

The Red Planet is desert-like , it has it's own moon (moons in fact), it's gravity is a little different but not too much so from Earth but the atmosphere doesn't make it safe to be outside of domes without such a heavy suit.

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before.
There's the whole low-gravity issue, which would be very strange to bring up way at the tail-end of the game with no buildup. Phobos and Deimos look nothing like our moon, either. They're tiny specks in comparison; I'm not even sure you could see them in a lunar eclipse. The moon shown in-game is almost certainly Earth's.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Ramengank posted:

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before.
There's the whole low-gravity issue, which would be very strange to bring up way at the tail-end of the game with no buildup. Phobos and Deimos look nothing like our moon, either. They're tiny specks in comparison; I'm not even sure you could see them in a lunar eclipse. The moon shown in-game is almost certainly Earth's.
There's also the fact that Mars is, well, red. The desert outside the facility didn't look very red to me.

Waterguy
Aug 14, 2012
Actually it is colored red as what it is expected to look like, no one has any idea of it's actual color.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Waterguy posted:

Actually it is colored red as what it is expected to look like, no one has any idea of it's actual color.

Uh, what? We've literally landed robots on Mars, and they had cameras on them. Mars is red, dude.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Waterguy posted:

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/images/?ImageID=6097 Even the Viking lander had a color camera, Curiosity had pretty good ones.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
So it's brown then?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Yeah, like... what? You can even see it's red with the naked eye if you have good eyesight, and any decent telescope will reveal it has a red cast to it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
But even if it is Mars, how it's that functionality different than the moon? Unless I missed something, the big point of the moon theory is the fact that it's not on earth, not that the specific spot on the moon matters

Waterguy
Aug 14, 2012
Actually the mars seems red for us because of the atmosphere, not because of the ground.
The pictures and videos of mars, and actually most of the videos and pictures of space, are colored digitally with approximations of the expected colors.

Ever seen a real pic of the sun? it's basically a white marble.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/marspath_images_2.html

False color and color enhanced images are labeled as such. All the rest are actual color images.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This is the best derail. :allears:

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Sentient Data posted:

But even if it is Mars, how it's that functionality different than the moon? Unless I missed something, the big point of the moon theory is the fact that it's not on earth, not that the specific spot on the moon matters

The gravity's closer to Earth's so they wouldn't be bouncing around in their space suits in Dio End.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

This is the best derail. :allears:

We can answer this with another flowchart:

Have we seen Cyberdemons?

If yes: then we're on Mars.
If no: then we're not on Mars.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Alopex posted:

The gravity's closer to Earth's so they wouldn't be bouncing around in their space suits in Dio End.

and they would be less likely to notice anything is off - whereas the moon's much lighter gravity would be immediately obvious.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Mars gravity is still only a third of Earth's. It's closer to moon gravity than it is to Earth gravity.

Now Venus on the other hand...

Namingway
Jul 8, 2009

andipossess posted:

Mars gravity is still only a third of Earth's. It's closer to moon gravity than it is to Earth gravity.

Now Venus on the other hand...

Yeah, they'd never figure out that they were on Venus. Until they went outside...

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Robindaybird posted:

This was my pet theory, the first time I played the game, after I saw the Dio ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I really love that amidst all these crazy theories about just which celestial body the game is set on, no one seems willing to take the game at face value and just go with Earth. :allears:

• Locked thread