Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The politics took a little while to become clear, but I think at this point they're pretty well-established. The end of the Universal Century was awful, the religion/political system called SU-Cordism was created as a result of that. They forbid a lot of stuff, including the nuclear reactors that everyone used to use as a power source, and they keep peace in the world by controlling the distribution of the only non-taboo power source, photon batteries. This doesn't work, and after a while a war breaks out between Ameria (formerly North America) and Godwana (Formerly Europe). Ameria sends a military unit disguised as an unaffiliated pirate ship to steal photon batteries for their war effort and generally disrupt the status quo that's causing the war, and meanwhile internal problems in the capital government are making the previously peaceful capital more militarised.

The Threat From Space is whoever's got the lovely job of living up in the moon and recharging batteries for the earthnoids. Presumably, they're unhappy enough with their situation that they're planning to come back to Earth and ruin everyone's day.

This stuff wasn't awfully clear at the beginning, but it's become clear enough ten episodes in, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
Klim is supposed to be the Ramba Ral analogue, I believe, with Mick Jack as Hamon Crowley.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
When I first watched MGS I thought Hamon was in fact Haman Karn and was confused as gently caress when she died.

but no their names are just pronounced almost identically

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Klim Nick gets his own jazzy space combat theme and it's incredible, in this episode of Reconguista.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It was a real cool episode this time around, again.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Gusion's para-drop this ep was just the ballsiest thing. The man has style.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Space jazz is the best thing and mask is turning into a pretty good char.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Sharkopath posted:

Klim Nick gets his own jazzy space combat theme and it's incredible, in this episode of Reconguista.

Klim Nick, noted awesome dude posted:

I shall float like a butterfly, AND STING LIKE A BEE!

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Seriously; this is suspiciously similar.

Then again it might be nothing. The federation V project used a symbol with about the same degree of difference.

Artum fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 5, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Not a bad action episode, but it is really becoming depressing how incredibly lovely everyone is at their jobs.

:smuggo: - I've got a hostage, you should do what I say or we'll kill him. Get out of your cockpit.
:) - Okay, that sounds reasonable.
:smuggo: - Haha, I have non-lethally tethered myself to you so that we can talk. You will totally surrender now.
:) - Actually I'm going to kick you.
:confused: - And I'm just going to kinda float out of your grasp since you got out of your cockpit and didn't leave anyone guarding me, like a total loving moron.
:smuggo: - G-Self! BARARA!!!

Seriously, I'm not even including the fact that the naval review with the Amerian president could apparently be really easily dive bombed, because while that is stupid, the above just shows such a staggering level of incompetence that everything else sort of pales in comparison.

I did like that they hint that for all Mask's bluster he doesn't appear to actually give all that much of a poo poo about the whole racism thing anymore. He is way more concerned with his pride and the embarassment of Bellri kicking his rear end over and over, otherwise he'd have just shot him in the face. Much like Cobra Commander, the character he is based on, Mask really wants to win by Coup de Main, to show up and handedly win everything in one swift moment of overwhelming superiority.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Artum posted:

Seriously; this is suspiciously similar.

Then again it might be nothing. The federation V project used a symbol with about the same degree of difference.

It's pretty intentional, the regular gundams manual was a serif'd V.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Caros posted:

Not a bad action episode, but it is really becoming depressing how incredibly lovely everyone is at their jobs.

:smuggo: - I've got a hostage, you should do what I say or we'll kill him. Get out of your cockpit.
:) - Okay, that sounds reasonable.
:smuggo: - Haha, I have non-lethally tethered myself to you so that we can talk. You will totally surrender now.
:) - Actually I'm going to kick you.
:confused: - And I'm just going to kinda float out of your grasp since you got out of your cockpit and didn't leave anyone guarding me, like a total loving moron.
:smuggo: - G-Self! BARARA!!!

Seriously, I'm not even including the fact that the naval review with the Amerian president could apparently be really easily dive bombed, because while that is stupid, the above just shows such a staggering level of incompetence that everything else sort of pales in comparison.

I did like that they hint that for all Mask's bluster he doesn't appear to actually give all that much of a poo poo about the whole racism thing anymore. He is way more concerned with his pride and the embarassment of Bellri kicking his rear end over and over, otherwise he'd have just shot him in the face. Much like Cobra Commander, the character he is based on, Mask really wants to win by Coup de Main, to show up and handedly win everything in one swift moment of overwhelming superiority.

Has there actually been a Gundam series where people were generally good at their jobs? Like, at all?

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
The G Gundam folks were generally pretty good at hitting things.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In some positive news: After a shaky start Greco is rapidly gaining viewership and is outpacing Build Fighters Try in every demographic that isn't young children, which considering it's weird timeslot isn't all that shocking.

There's an incredibly significant amount of older women watching the show too, which is odd.

The series preferred by japanese grandmamas.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

In some positive news: After a shaky start Greco is rapidly gaining viewership and is outpacing Build Fighters Try in every demographic that isn't young children, which considering it's weird timeslot isn't all that shocking.

There's an incredibly significant amount of older women watching the show too, which is odd.

Klim Nick's draw is universal.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

Klim Nick's draw is universal.

Klim Niccini, the son of Amerian President Zucchini Niccini.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

That last is actually pretty important. The last Gundam series to have a strong older female viewership was SEED.

Also it's worth remembering with regards to the kid demographic that G-Reco is showing at like 2 AM.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well at least Aila managed to actually shoot someone this time.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

That last is actually pretty important. The last Gundam series to have a strong older female viewership was SEED.

Also it's worth remembering with regards to the kid demographic that G-Reco is showing at like 2 AM.

Bandai sort of gave up on the SEED demographic when they figured out that they wont buy plastic, and thats where their real money is. Even though ReconGs suits look baller, grandma wont be buying them.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Bandai sort of gave up on the SEED demographic when they figured out that they wont buy plastic, and thats where their real money is. Even though ReconGs suits look baller, grandma wont be buying them.

G-Reco is also collectively outselling the Try model kit line, but the Build Burning is doing good for Bandai as far as I know.

I don't have any hard data for that claim though, so take it with a grain of salt.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The last I heard (although it's kinda iffy) the G-Reco model kit line is actually outperforming the Try line, where only the Build Burning is performing well. There was a spike in Dom sales after the first episode but no matching ones for later episodes AFAIK.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

From what I understand the Burning is selling good, but most of the other kits from the BFT line are having a hard time getting sales, while Greco kits are pulling stronger numbers across the board, and sales are increasing as the popularity increases.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

There aren't really 'holy poo poo this suit (and the pilots and w/e) is so awesome' episodes that I think would really boost specific model kit sales in GBFTry.

Closest thing we got, at least until episode 9, was the fight with Shimon and the Destiny, but it was specifically a scratchbuild Destiny so you can't make an exclusive model kit out of it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, they are fresh, good-looking twists on the old themes. The designs deserve the success. In particular, I want basically every Amerian suit, but the Elf series and their descendants are sexy machines as well.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It looks like next week we get the ax gatling gun Hecate that we've been waiting for.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Has there actually been a Gundam series where people were generally good at their jobs? Like, at all?

G-Gundam, 00 Gundam Season 1, Build Fighters, War in the Pocket and probably a bunch of others. People might have individual slip ups or make foolish mistakes in individual episodes, but it isn't the all pervasive clusterfuck that is at the heart of a lot of G-Reco's writing.

I don't want to get into an essay or anything on it, but one thing that's mellowed my opinion on G-Reco is to just treat it like I'm watching G.I. Joe, Transformers or some other more modern show that targets the same demographics, but with a more put together overarching story. The general plot of G-Reco is actually quite good, which stands in a stark contrast to the way the actual events of the series play out, but if you just accept that the writers don't much care about making things make sense as they do making them "Exciting" then it tends to make a lot more sense.

This episode is the perfect example. They wanted to have a hostage situation so one of the Recksnows flies out well in advance of the actual useful units for... no reason. Then it gets caught, so there is some tension! But since this is a show more interested in 'excitement' they don't want to have the episode turn into a tense stand off, so instead they just have the villain sort of forget that he has to hold on to his hostage to keep him from running away. It's functional writing in the same way that an episode of Generation one transformers is functional, they introduce a couple of new toys, there is a bunch of flashing lights, a bunch of things happen that typically don't matter to the overall plot, and then the good guy smacks around the bad guy and he runs away promising to be back next week and returning things more or less to the Status Quo. Every few episodes something important will happen, and the actual interesting part of the main plot will advance forward. Rarely someone will actually die or suffer consequences of their fight. Its not bad, its just not very good, but fortunately the main plot is interesting enough that I keep watching.

quote:

Well at least Aila managed to actually shoot someone this time.

She did that two episodes ago too! And kinda possibly did an armbar to the guy who was holding her hostage last episode.

quote:

There aren't really 'holy poo poo this suit (and the pilots and w/e) is so awesome' episodes that I think would really boost specific model kit sales in GBFTry.

Closest thing we got, at least until episode 9, was the fight with Shimon and the Destiny, but it was specifically a scratchbuild Destiny so you can't make an exclusive model kit out of it.

How many of the Build Fighters kits are even out? The original series had a whole host of new HG's to choose from at or around the time they showed up in the series, but with BFT the only suits I can think of apart from the leads that would really match up to that are the R-Gyagya and maybe the Mega-Shiki or Amethyst V.

Caros fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 5, 2014

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mask being overeager and doing stupid stuff is actually good writing, though.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

Mask being overeager and doing stupid stuff is actually good writing, though.

Why? Why is Mask's inability to consider something as simple as 'hold onto your hostage so you can do your job' considered good writing? I mean I guess it is kind of good if you're going under the assumption that he no longer gives a poo poo about his mission or his Kuntala pride (that was such a 'big' plot point) and is now sort of Graham Aker obsessed with the guy who keeps kicking his rear end. If that is the case why take a hostage in the first place?

Hell, why does the research division commander hold mask in high esteem when he is... what, 0/6 now? 0/7? You'd think he'd replace him.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
People and characters can act irrationally without the loving writer necessarily being irrational. Jesus christ.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Likely spacenoid/moonrace R&D dude is the only person aside from Rariya that comprehend the danger that G-Self represents with a marginally skilled pilots. He's probably surprised anyone is returned from these sorties.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Under the vegetable posted:

People and characters can act irrationally without the loving writer necessarily being irrational. Jesus christ.

I didn't say the writing is irrational, I said it was simplistic and not very good. There are ways to show your characters action irrationally without having them be incompetent.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pureauthor posted:

Destiny aside, none of them have also actually fought on equal terms with the main character's Gundam or even had gimmicks as interesting as the BF lineup (R-Gyaja and Mega-Shiki aside, and that's two gunpla compared to about a dozen by Episode 9 of BF). It's a lot easier to sell a toy when you can go "look kids, it's badass enough to go toe-to-toe with the hero's! :v:"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Why? Why is Mask's inability to consider something as simple as 'hold onto your hostage so you can do your job' considered good writing? I mean I guess it is kind of good if you're going under the assumption that he no longer gives a poo poo about his mission or his Kuntala pride (that was such a 'big' plot point) and is now sort of Graham Aker obsessed with the guy who keeps kicking his rear end. If that is the case why take a hostage in the first place?

Hell, why does the research division commander hold mask in high esteem when he is... what, 0/6 now? 0/7? You'd think he'd replace him.

A major part of the setting is that these people have literally never known any meaningful battle. At all. That is a major point behind the characters acting the way they do. Mask is a highly talented soldier but he is also a soldier from a group of people who are trying to put together an army out of literal wholecloth with almost nothing to go on.

The Ameria soldiers are more talented than the Army soldiers because they at least have some experience in combat due to their wars, but even then they're not major wars because nobody has the resources or capabilities to engage in major war.

Edit: Also Mask doesn't want to kill Bellri and he knows Bellri is the pilot of the G-Self, so he is trying to get him to surrender instead.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 5, 2014

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Is it just me, or did it seem like they started to set Klim up as a villain this episode?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

Is it just me, or did it seem like they started to set Klim up as a villain this episode?

Klim is, at very least, more warmongery than the Pirate crew. His stated goal is (and has always been) Ameria conquest. In comparison the pirates seem more in favor of breaking the power monopoly. He may not be set up to be a villain but he's not without conflict with the protagonist squad either.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

ImpAtom posted:

A major part of the setting is that these people have literally never known any meaningful battle. At all. That is a major point behind the characters acting the way they do. Mask is a highly talented soldier but he is also a soldier from a group of people who are trying to put together an army out of literal wholecloth with almost nothing to go on.

The Ameria soldiers are more talented than the Army soldiers because they at least have some experience in combat due to their wars, but even then they're not major wars because nobody has the resources or capabilities to engage in major war.

Having experience piloting and having experience on a battlefield are two completely different things. It's something I like being shown off.

It's a Gundam show where almost everyone is Patrick.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yosuke posted:

Having experience piloting and having experience on a battlefield are two completely different things. It's something I like being shown off.

I mean, poo poo, even the personality fits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yosuke posted:

Pretty much.

Every single character is an unexperience novice fighting battles they don't have a ton of strong motivation to engage in. The war is being pressed by people behind the scenes and the actual characters are fighting for their own motivations without much dislike or hatred of the enemy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much.

Every single character is an unexperience novice fighting battles they don't have a ton of strong motivation to engage in. The war is being pressed by people behind the scenes and the actual characters are fighting for their own motivations without much dislike or hatred of the enemy.

Not only are they inexperienced, but they've been fed a media message that treats the whole thing as a great big jolly game. I mean, the Capital's military has a literal cheerleading team, for His Holiness's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: Also Mask doesn't want to kill Bellri and he knows Bellri is the pilot of the G-Self, so he is trying to get him to surrender instead.

Yeah, but if he was trying to get him to surrender there are better ways than shooting him with a magnetic grappler and trying to... what? Beat him up in space?

That is my problem here. I have given up on the idea of the Capital army being professional, despite the fact that they are frequently portrayed as competent both in combat and in terms of prep for operations. But seriously, what was Mask's plan there? Get out and fist fight Bellri in space to try and take the G-self from him? Okay then fair enough, that goes back to my original point about him being staggeringly incompetent in a way that isn't really consistent with someone who has spent years attending a military school.

I guess I just disagree with the idea that they could be that... lovely at making up a military from scratch. We've seen both the Amerian military, and the 'pirate' Megafauna which is just a military ship in disguise and both are just as laid back and incompetent as the Capital Army appears to be, despite having been around for quite some time as far as I can tell.

quote:

Not only are they inexperienced, but they've been fed a media message that treats the whole thing as a great big jolly game. I mean, the Capital's military has a literal cheerleading team, for His Holiness's sake.

I'd actually agree with this point, except that not everyone is going home at the end of the day. I could totally see them treating it like a game for an engagement or two, but Bellri by himself is a fighter ace at this point, and I think the Megafauna has pulled up a kill count somewhere in the double digits. Apart from a short scene with mask (kind of) and one with dellensen the show is really ignoring the fact that the groups that go out to attack the megafauna tend to come back a few pilots light almost every time. A big part of the professionalism in being a soldier is the fact that anything else can get you killed, but I don't think G-Reco is going to deal with this because its an aspect of the writing, not an aspect of the plot. And in my opinion it is a really poor one.

• Locked thread