Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

David D. Davidson posted:

The most horrible man on the internet.

Well, he's anti-GG, so he's at least better than all THOSE guys.

Really, the only bad thing you can say about him is he's a manchild who's bad at games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ApeHawk posted:

Really, the only bad thing you can say about him is he's a manchild who's bad at games.

the most heinous of all crimes

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

"How do I man?! They didn't explain me how to man!"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SelenicMartian posted:

"How do I man?! They didn't explain me how to man!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ApeHawk posted:

Well, he's anti-GG, so he's at least better than all THOSE guys.

This is a thread about recommending LPs, so in that context that's a pretty damning complaint.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Speaking of Run Button, I've recently watched their Sonic and Mario (ongoing) playthroughs, and they are absolutely fantastic :) Their style of commentary fits perfectly with those kind of games and is consistently very good.

They feel like kinda normal people playing games, and I honestly don't care about the game mechanics or story or whatever in those games, and would rather avoid any let's player doing mario or sonic seriously because that's just weird. Not saying that they're just joking around, but it feels like they're playing the games for fun and that's something few let's players have done well.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Listening to their commentary, it sounds they completely hate every single game they ever play, possibly because they're so bad at playing them. It's not my idea of fun, to say the least.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

So horrible that half of the subforum follows his every move religiously.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Listening to their commentary, it sounds they completely hate every single game they ever play, possibly because they're so bad at playing them. It's not my idea of fun, to say the least.

to be fair, they played every single Sonic game. as has been mentioned, their commentary definitely isn't for everyone, but plenty of people have enjoyed it.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I like Run Button for the same reason I like Pork Lift and wateyad's LPs; I'm not there for the game, or to watch anyone play it, I'm there to listen to funny people bullshit about stuff and make fun of the game they're playing because it reminds me of when I was younger and sat on the couch with a bunch of my friends chatting about nothing while playing video games.

If that's what you want and expect going in then you're not going to be disappointed but if you expect a more "traditional" LP then yeah you are not going to like it in the slightest and that's okay too!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

ImPureAwesome posted:

I'd like to find some more stuff to watch and hoping you guys could help me out. I'm looking for some lps where at least one of the commentators is blind so I can experience the game along with someone funny, who are playing games with stories that are sincere, but slide off-the-deep-end, stuff like David Cage's games, deadly premonition, persona 4, etc. Some stuff I've seen to give kinda a ballpark is like the giant bomb stuff, some super best friends stuff, diabetus and slowbeef stuff like dead to rights/metroid/the longplay stuff, geop's dark souls. Any ideas of stuff that could fit?
It only just recently started, but OatmealRaisin and Panzer Skank are bringing a Christmas miracle to the forums by playing through the immortal survival horror classic Blue Stinger. Now while the game itself is bizarre enough on it's own, these two intrepid LP'ers decided to marathon through the game blind in a mind numbing 20 hour session. Watch as they devolve into madness: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3685106

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Well, I disagree :) Maybe in their Silent Hill series, but I didn't watch those because of that reason. They seem to have fun playing Sonic and Mario!

And seriously, I LIKE that they aren't the best at the games they play, because like Faerie said, it's just watching a relaxed playthough by two best friends, and sometimes complaining about dumb stuff is fun. It's all a matter of taste though, I understand if people don't like it. I love it!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think my main issue with the Run Button LPs is that they tend to not talk about the game... At all. I mean, I'd be all for watching someone figure out Silent Hill and I understand it's hard to stay on topic when you're stuck but as far as I got into that LP(which, admittedly, wasn't too far), the commentary had literally nothing to do with the game.
Different strokes for different folks. Speaking of, there's a recently started LP of Transistor and the game's enough of a treat to watch on its own it doesn't really need much added to it; still, it does a good of providing unintrusive subtitles while being entertaining. I normally don't watch subtitled LPs, but this one is great.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Jordbo posted:

Well, I disagree :) Maybe in their Silent Hill series, but I didn't watch those because of that reason. They seem to have fun playing Sonic and Mario!

They thought Yoshi's Island was bad (and somehow thought this was a common opinion), but somehow they have had three separate runs of Sonic 06. Not just one. THREE. They had more fun playing Sonic 06 than Yoshi's Island.

I tell ya, that's not natural.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
So the Run Button lps are the lps I should argue about??

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Earnestly posted:

So the Run Button lps are the lps I should argue about??

No, pretty much everyone hates run button.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Turtlicious posted:

It's why most games just have you automatically run if you push the stick all the way forward. :rimshot:

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Turtlicious posted:

Which is why they have consistently popular threads and a fairly large viewer base, and are often mentioned in this very thread! They are just funny guys who are being funny over video games, and basically every game they've done has been done by someone else so you aren't even being forced to watch them to experience the game. People can like different things for different reasons and that's okay! Not everyone shares the hateboner you have for Runbutton.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I love it every time some group is brought up and people come streaming in with glowing recommendations such as "Yeah, they are barely above what I would consider sucking, but I still watch them because I don't value my time."

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I know the thread is for recommendations, but not lovely arguments/derails like this. Back on topic, please.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Do you guys enjoy a relaxing stroll through a lovely puzzle platformer accompanied by knowledgeable, chill commentary? If that's the case then you should probably check out frozentreasure's current LP of Fez: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3680010 Just leave that unnecessary Phil Fish hate at the door, and just come to have a good time.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I'd like to recommend Camel Pimp's great and elaborate (if out of season) April Fool's Day joke of an LP where he makes the worst RPG.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

alcharagia posted:

I'd like to recommend Camel Pimp's great and elaborate (if out of season) April Fool's Day joke of an LP where he makes the worst RPG.

I second the recommendation of this thread, as it is a fascinating look at a complete trainwreck of a game in which nearly EVERY element is so completely bad one begins to wonder if it isn't intentional for comedic value. Also, Camel Pimp isn't a "he." :ssh:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The Majora's Mask TAS is the only one in the recommended list on TASVideos I haven't seen, because I feel like without knowing much about Majora's Mask I'd be missing a lot of context. Is there a good informative video LP for the game?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The Majora's Mask TAS is the only one in the recommended list on TASVideos I haven't seen, because I feel like without knowing much about Majora's Mask I'd be missing a lot of context. Is there a good informative video LP for the game?

I believe Maxwell Adams did a decent 100% run, though it's old so the video quality isn't amazing. I'm pretty sure Ambisagrus did one as well?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

There's a recently completed one by ThornBrain. Majora's Mask + Wind Waker thread.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

majormonotone posted:

I believe Maxwell Adams did a decent 100% run, though it's old so the video quality isn't amazing. I'm pretty sure Ambisagrus did one as well?
StrawHatNo.'s is pretty great, they abandoned the Windwaker half of it, but they did 100% Majora, and it's really great and pretty informative.

I'll admit though, I've always enjoyed their LPs.

e: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3581697

There is also cool art because one of the LPrs is an artist or something.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 7, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm pretty sure they're going to come back to Wind Waker when they finish up their Punch Out thread.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm pretty sure they're going to come back to Wind Waker when they finish up their Punch Out thread.
yeah, the Punch Out and Ni No Kuni threads also went on hiatus for a while. I'm pretty sure ThornBrain just had computer issues.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd like to watch something funny, fun, and video game oriented. I really liked the Resident Evil, and Dino Crisis Lp's done by DO IT TO IT. And the Pikmin 3 LP is one of my favorites, if that gives you an idea of what I like.

I also love Retsupraes Let's watch or whatever it's called where they commentate someone elses speed run.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Turtlicious posted:

I'd like to watch something funny, fun, and video game oriented. I really liked the Resident Evil, and Dino Crisis Lp's done by DO IT TO IT. And the Pikmin 3 LP is one of my favorites, if that gives you an idea of what I like.

I also love Retsupraes Let's watch or whatever it's called where they commentate someone elses speed run.

Given your criteria I recommend you check out the Men Drinkin' Coffee if you haven't already. They've done multiple LPs here as well as some stuff that's on their YouTube channel given that it would be in violation of the three month rule. If you like LPs where three dudes play games that maybe aren't so good but don't spend the whole.time hyperbolically raging about it they're a good watch.

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

I loved those LPs, especially Pikmin. One of my favorite LPs (one of the funniest I have seen) was ThornBrain's LP of 007 Agent Under Fire. Then there is the classic 50 Cent: Blood On the Sand LP from Chip and Ironicus.

WITNESS THE POWER!
Jun 13, 2009

Why don't you go get a glass of orange juice and spill it all over yourself like a big dumb baby

The greatest LP I've ever seen is still Trespasser by "Research Indicates", and that came out more than 6 years ago. It was like watching a fascinating documentary that covered everything about the history of the game. Since then, it's been difficult to find an LP as thoroughly entertaining.

Basically, I'm looking for an LP that is extremely good. Any game, I don't care. Preferably, I'm looking for something in the same style as Trespasser. Something that covers the history of the game's production, facts about game mechanics, etc. I just like learning about interesting behind-the-scenes stuff, I guess.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WITNESS THE POWER! posted:

The greatest LP I've ever seen is still Trespasser by "Research Indicates", and that came out more than 6 years ago. It was like watching a fascinating documentary that covered everything about the history of the game. Since then, it's been difficult to find an LP as thoroughly entertaining.

Basically, I'm looking for an LP that is extremely good. Any game, I don't care. Preferably, I'm looking for something in the same style as Trespasser. Something that covers the history of the game's production, facts about game mechanics, etc. I just like learning about interesting behind-the-scenes stuff, I guess.

It's sort of the opposite direction of what you're asking about, but Geop's LPs of the Assassin's Creed and Assassin's Creed 2 get heavy into the real life history of the eras those games take place in.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

WITNESS THE POWER! posted:

Giragast's LP of Cold Fear is in a similar vein. It doesn't really go into a ton of detail about the history and production that I recall (it's been a while since I watched it however) but he breaks down the level design and gameplay elements in exhaustive detail, illustrating level layouts and setpiece triggers using debugging modes and wireframe views and generally doing way more to show off how the game is made than you see in most LPs, and the overall LP itself is well done to boot.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Kai Tave posted:

Giragast's LP of Cold Fear is in a similar vein. It doesn't really go into a ton of detail about the history and production that I recall (it's been a while since I watched it however) but he breaks down the level design and gameplay elements in exhaustive detail, illustrating level layouts and setpiece triggers using debugging modes and wireframe views and generally doing way more to show off how the game is made than you see in most LPs, and the overall LP itself is well done to boot.

I'll never stop promoting that LP. It's really well done on every level and seeing the way the game comes together in terms of models and scripting and wireframes is way more entertaining than it has a right to be.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

You can get anything you want at malice's restaurant
Unfortunately, pretty much all the links in the archived LPD&D thread on the master list have stopped working. There's a temporary Dropbox archive here pooled by fans.

For more tabletop games like that, there's the 13th Age and new D&D threads where we play a variety of games, the similar One Shot RPG podcast, the Dice projects by the forum-favorite Kilobops, and the Men Drinkin' Coffee playing a dice game made just for them.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

I reiterate this every time it gets brought up but these are the funniest poo poo and everyone should listen to them, and Pods is an exceptionally good DM.

vcvcvc12
Jun 9, 2013
I'd like to watch/read some LPs of games with good stories, done in a way that presents the story well and perhaps commentates on it some. Fantasy-esque games are preferred, but if there's something really good that's sci-fi or something then that would be cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Lt. Danger's Mass Effect 3 is a treat, although it hasn't updated for a while. There's still a whole lot of interesting material to go through.
Not sure whether I'd call that game's story good, but he analyses it from a whole lot of different angles and explains its themes very thoroughly.