Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Don't feel bad if you just don't like Malazan. It appeals to a very specific subset of fantasy readers and there are lots of folks who just don't like it. I'm one of the latter. I tried to marathon the whole series on a series of long plane flights and it really was just painful after about book six; I got bogged down somewhere in the 8th and never finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

There's no huge mythical payoff at the end of Malazan and anyone who claims otherwise has misled you. If you're not enjoying the journey then the destination isn't going to blow you away either. I think the big appeal of the series is the feeling of exploration and unexpected events that come up, setting the books apart from more standard "there's a Big Bad Guy and we're going to set up to fight him" fantasy stories.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

The Ninth Layer posted:

There's no huge mythical payoff at the end of Malazan and anyone who claims otherwise has misled you. If you're not enjoying the journey then the destination isn't going to blow you away either. I think the big appeal of the series is the feeling of exploration and unexpected events that come up, setting the books apart from more standard "there's a Big Bad Guy and we're going to set up to fight him" fantasy stories.

Deadhouse gates and the march of chain of dogs was the best thing in all 10 books. Ever body should at least read until that.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

RVProfootballer posted:

Yeah, I feel pretty similarly to you. I made it a lot farther but found I just didn't really care what happened anymore, as it was sure to be another fight between people I could barely distinguish. There never seemed to be a coherent frame of reference for what to expect from anyone, if that makes sense. Dude A fought and won against B, but then C totally smashed A, and I never felt like there was any logic to it. One second there's a demigod wrecking whole armies, and the next a random soldier dude stabs him with a dagger and kills him, that kind of thing. I wanted to like it, and there were a solid 2-3 books in there I quite liked, but overall I was disappointed.

On a similar note, can anyone explain what Oponn and Shadow/Rope were up to in Gardens? Everyone kept going on about seeing their influence, and the importance of the coin and sword, but I've not a scoobies what they actually wanted to achieve.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Alastair Reynolds new book title:

Blue Remembered Earth -> On The Steel Breeze -> Poseidon's Wake

Also, there's going to be a "Best of Alastair Reynolds" short story collection next year! Exciting time for Reynolds fans.

http://outtherebooks.wordpress.com/2014/12/03/some-more-2015-alastair-reynolds-info-including-the-title-of-the-next-novel/

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Apologies if it's been beaten to death in this thread -- but what's the consensus on The Martian by Andy Wier? Worth reading? I see generally good reviews, but with a not insubstantial amount of people who seem to absolutely hate it. Normally I wouldn't give it too much credence, but most people seem to talk badly about the writing style which is something I can be sensitive to. Is it worth a read?

Damo fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 3, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I liked it.

It's a bit weird. It's like a partial diary of a guy trapped on mars, and an actual story written from a different perspective of people at nasa trying to figure out how to get him home.

Still, worth a read. I think it won best in science fiction for goodreads.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Talking about the Goodread awards, anything, erm, good in there? I see City of Stairs, which I'm currently enjoying, but there also seems to be some questionable stuff in there as well.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Junkenstein posted:

Talking about the Goodread awards, anything, erm, good in there? I see City of Stairs, which I'm currently enjoying, but there also seems to be some questionable stuff in there as well.

I couldn't get into City of Stairs. It felt too political. I might try it again because I keep seeing good things being said about it.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I'm halfway through City of Stairs and the present tense is still irking me. It just feels like they are not making actual use of the present tense and that it was done for no real reason. I strongly feel that third-person past is the default, and unless you have a good reason to deviate from that, don't. First-person present is also another form of a default, but third-person present is just really weird to me.

I have some other weird aversions to the writing style in general, but I'm enjoying the story itself so far. I'm reading it very slowly though and rarely feel a big urge to keep reading it, though I will finish it.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Damo posted:

Apologies if it's been beaten to death in this thread -- but what's the consensus on The Martian by Andy Wier? Worth reading? I see generally good reviews, but with a not insubstantial amount of people who seem to absolutely hate it. Normally I wouldn't give it too much credence, but most people seem to talk badly about the writing style which is something I can be sensitive to. Is it worth a read?

Good history, good main character, quite amusing writing style. If you like the "classic" science fiction in the sense of Arthur C. Clarke works, you will enjoy it. If you expect big Literature, you will be dissapointed.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

systran posted:

I'm halfway through City of Stairs and the present tense is still irking me. It just feels like they are not making actual use of the present tense and that it was done for no real reason. I strongly feel that third-person past is the default, and unless you have a good reason to deviate from that, don't. First-person present is also another form of a default, but third-person present is just really weird to me.

I have some other weird aversions to the writing style in general, but I'm enjoying the story itself so far. I'm reading it very slowly though and rarely feel a big urge to keep reading it, though I will finish it.

This was another thing. It didn't keep my attention very well and there are too many books on my reading list to waste time on one that doesn't grip me.

Now that I'm a little further into the The Peripheral, things are starting to make sense and I'm really like it.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Damo posted:

The Martian by Andy Wier?

My two cents to add to the discussion are these: the diary-style bits with the protagonist are real good, the scenes with the NASA scientists are real bad--full of clunky dialogue and boring characters. Honestly they kinda feel like they're from a completely different novel.

Thankfully those NASA scenes only make up like 25% of the book so it's easy to gloss over. I think if I read it again (and I probably will at some point) I'm going to skip those scenes entirely and see how it changes the feel of the story.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Mark Watney is man's man. A steely eyed missile man.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I'm reading The Martian now and enjoying it in general, but I'm not too impressed with the diary writing. It feels sort of lazy to me, I guess. It could've been written in 3rd person with lots of internal monologue from Mark and then had much better writing about the scenery and stuff. I haven't read them, but if I remember correctly there were other Mars books that basically had Mars as a well-described character, which some people found boring. I think that would've been a better format for this book, as then I think things like Mark's utter isolation and Mars' desolation could've come through a lot better.

mystes
May 31, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

I'm reading The Martian now and enjoying it in general, but I'm not too impressed with the diary writing. It feels sort of lazy to me, I guess. It could've been written in 3rd person with lots of internal monologue from Mark and then had much better writing about the scenery and stuff. I haven't read them, but if I remember correctly there were other Mars books that basically had Mars as a well-described character, which some people found boring. I think that would've been a better format for this book, as then I think things like Mark's utter isolation and Mars' desolation could've come through a lot better.
The idea and technical aspects are interesting but it's definitely not very good as a novel. If you ignore this and just think of it as something like a film treatment or a thought experiment it's OK I guess

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 3, 2014

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

You're thinking to the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. I've only read the first of them, Red Mars; it's excellent but yes, it's very dense and spends about as much time describing environments as it does relaying the story. If that's not your cup of tea then I can easily see how one might find them difficult to enjoy.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

RVProfootballer posted:

I think this is partly because the author originally wrote it as a serialized blog, in which he challenged himself with overcoming technical problems. It wasn't intended as a book until fans of the blog encouraged him to make it available in ebook format, then he put it out as a novel and it was a huge success. It's actually very interesting how it came to be.

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010
Is any of the stuff in the latest StoryBundle (http://storybundle.com/fiction) any good? I see some VanderMeer in there and people seem to like Annihilation, but I'm not sure if his other work is any good. I haven't heard of any of the other authors in there at all.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Well I'm going to have to chip in just because I want WorldCon in Helsinki very, very badly.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I think this is partly because the author originally wrote it as a serialized blog, in which he challenged himself with overcoming technical problems. It wasn't intended as a book until fans of the blog encouraged him to make it available in ebook format, then he put it out as a novel and it was a huge success. It's actually very interesting how it came to be.

Ah, I didn't know that, but it makes complete sense given how it's written.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

Is any of the stuff in the latest StoryBundle (http://storybundle.com/fiction) any good? I see some VanderMeer in there and people seem to like Annihilation, but I'm not sure if his other work is any good. I haven't heard of any of the other authors in there at all.

For my money VanderMeer's other stuff is significantly better than the Southern Reach Trilogy. All the Ambergris books are good.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Elyv posted:

FWIW, he doesn't come back as a particularly significant character, just has a couple of occasional cameos iirc

If you got to the middle of book 4 and still didn't care for it, then it's probably not your thing, although the beginning of House of Chains is pretty mediocre since there's no reason for the reader to give a poo poo about Karsa at that point.

Other than him being awesome :colbert:

Grimwall posted:

Deadhouse gates and the march of chain of dogs was the best thing in all 10 books. Ever body should at least read until that.

I will not admit to throwing the book down in disgust after Coltaine died. :smith:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

On a similar note, can anyone explain what Oponn and Shadow/Rope were up to in Gardens? Everyone kept going on about seeing their influence, and the importance of the coin and sword, but I've not a scoobies what they actually wanted to achieve.

Much of their motivation is spoilerish if you haven't read later books. My (broad) interpretation, having not read it in a while, and hopefully without giving things away, is this: Oponn is the God(s) of luck and is capricious; when people speak of Oponn's influence it's intended largely to be a reference to the impact of chance. The holder of the coin is a sort of avatar for them and is a pivot for major events. As their luck goes so do events go. The Rope gets a lot more prominent later but his motivation could be broadly described as 'trying to keep humanity alive while consolidating power amongst the gods (ascendants).'

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Much of their motivation is spoilerish if you haven't read later books. My (broad) interpretation, having not read it in a while, and hopefully without giving things away, is this: Oponn is the God(s) of luck and is capricious; when people speak of Oponn's influence it's intended largely to be a reference to the impact of chance. The holder of the coin is a sort of avatar for them and is a pivot for major events. As their luck goes so do events go. The Rope gets a lot more prominent later but his motivation could be broadly described as 'trying to keep humanity alive while consolidating power amongst the gods (ascendants).'

So the entire plot of the first book is contained in later books?

That's not a story. That's a sequence of events.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
http://storybundle.com/books/384

Has anyone read this one? Is it good?

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
How about this one? http://vodo.net/Primebooks/best2014/?utm_campaign=twines&utm_medium=email&utm_source=twine#buy

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Hedrigall posted:

Alastair Reynolds new book title:

Blue Remembered Earth -> On The Steel Breeze -> Poseidon's Wake

Also, there's going to be a "Best of Alastair Reynolds" short story collection next year! Exciting time for Reynolds fans.

http://outtherebooks.wordpress.com/2014/12/03/some-more-2015-alastair-reynolds-info-including-the-title-of-the-next-novel/

Guess it's a good time to become a fan!

Also, the Martian is best as an audiobook.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Anybody read Proxima by Stephen Baxter? I have a question about one part of ending:

I assume Robert Braemann is Yuri's real name by Beth's reaction to it, but what does that mean for Yuri? Did his parents dump his mind into the AI before freezing him or something?

I don't know if the answer is really given in Proxima. However I'm reading Ultima and you get a definite answer.

Robert Braemann is Yuri's father. He had Yuri frozen, then was uploaded into Earthshine with 9 other people.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

n4 posted:

I don't know if the answer is really given in Proxima. However I'm reading Ultima and you get a definite answer.

Robert Braemann is Yuri's father. He had Yuri frozen, then was uploaded into Earthshine with 9 other people.

I thought that might be the case and almost mentioned it, but decided not to because it seemed like it would be silly for her to react so strongly to a surname that could be shared by a lot of people. Thanks for following up!

It's completely ridiculous, too, that Ultima isn't going to be released in the US until August 2015. What the gently caress?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 4, 2014

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

It's completely ridiculous, too, that Ultima isn't going to be released in the US until August 2015. What the gently caress?

You know, you're allowed to order books online from overseas. Many websites offer free shipping worldwide too! But keep it a secret or the CIA might come after you :ssh:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

You know, you're allowed to order books online from overseas. Many websites offer free shipping worldwide too! But keep it a secret or the CIA might come after you :ssh:

Argh the freaking tone of this post! Ack!

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 4, 2014

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Argh the freaking tone of this post! Ack!

Oh hey Cathy :laugh:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ordering physical books is so last century anyway, I don't do that poo poo anymore unless it's autographed. I still have boxes of books I'm never going to unpack from my last move.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

What is Amos Tutuola doing in a storybundle? It just seems so weird...

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Poked about on Sebastien de Castell's website. So excited that Traitor's Blade is getting a sequel. Seriously good fuckin' book.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Strom Cuzewon posted:

So the entire plot of the first book is contained in later books?

That's not a story. That's a sequence of events.
Well yeah, that's why a lot of people dig on the first book while remaining adamant that the rest are better. ;)

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I read the first Dagger & Coin book and found it was not very ambitious for most the story- and I found that very refreshing. Have been tired of the epic fantasy focus on world politics with dozens of viewpoints. I also enjoyed Cithrin's analytical personality. I would read an entire book of Geder just exploring the wilderness and deciphering history but he seems to be going down a dark path. Going to continue reading the series. Would love to hear others opinions on this series.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
For anyone anticipating The Magicians TV series, meet Quentin and Alice:

Jason Ralph as Quentin

drat, spot on!

Sosie Bacon (daughter of Kevin) as Alice

Uh, sure, ok.

http://deadline.com/2014/12/jason-ralph-sosie-bacon-to-star-in-the-magicians-on-syfy-1201307406/

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 5, 2014

RndmCnflct
Oct 27, 2004

Anyone else feel like the fantasy category on goodreads is a loving joke?

90% of the 'best fantasy' is The Vampire hosed Me Volume 8 or Witch in a Big City Volume 7.

Where is the version of goodreads that isn't run by 45 year old cat ladies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's what the people want.