Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

burritolingus posted:

I've heard, according to the EU, Palpatine did it all because he was trying to prepare for the Yuuzhan Vong invasion by uniting the inefficient Republic under a strong leadership. If that's true, yeah, he really isn't the bad guy here.

The entire Vong storyline is complete garbage from start to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Improbable Lobster posted:

The entire Vong storyline is complete garbage from start to finish.

you see the force flows thru all living things except these living things are anti-force because

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

If you want to single out one of the space furries, this is the one:

Yes, a Jedi Master who is the size and approximate shape of a Pomeranian.

How can you use a lightsaber if you don't have hands? (yes, he has a lightsaber)

Ahem...

Now just the shop, you know you want to

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Wolfsheim posted:

I've always wondered what's the deal with those three random alien guys palpatine is hanging out with in every scene in the prequel. Are they other senators? Do they work for him? Why did he invite them to the space opera? Are they all friends? Is there an EU comic book where they all hang out?

The blue guy is named Mas Amedda or something and apparently knew most everything about Palpatine's plans and went along with it, even though the same loving dumb EU states that Palpie hated aliens and so did his Empire. Tl; dr: Dumb loving poo poo.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

KiteAuraan posted:

The blue guy is named Mas Amedda or something and apparently knew most everything about Palpatine's plans and went along with it, even though the same loving dumb EU states that Palpie hated aliens and so did his Empire. Tl; dr: Dumb loving poo poo.

"Well, you blue guys are some of the good ones, though. Humans and blue guys, working side by side, as it should be... When the revolution comes, Massy, you and your people are going to be well taken care of... Well taken care of, indeed..."

*Cackling laughter*

(Mas walks from room, Palpatine turns to the camera)

"Seriously, can you believe this guy? I didn't even have to mindtrick this motherfucker. If he wasn't such a dumb poo poo I'd think he was trying to play ME for the fool!"

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 3, 2014

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
lmao i looked up that blue dude cause i forgot who that was (didnt watch the prequels more than once because they are bad) and i completely forgot that the person they have propose giving more power to palpatine was god drat jar jar

this isnt even eu this is real-rear end canon, jar jar binks is chiefly responsible for the star wars universe getting so jacked up.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

shiksa posted:

lmao i looked up that blue dude cause i forgot who that was (didnt watch the prequels more than once because they are bad) and i completely forgot that the person they have propose giving more power to palpatine was god drat jar jar

this isnt even eu this is real-rear end canon, jar jar binks is chiefly responsible for the star wars universe getting so jacked up.

Please elaborate, i forgot most of the things that happened in those fever-dreams.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Please elaborate, i forgot most of the things that happened in those fever-dreams.

padme let jar jar be substitute naboonian senator while she was hiding from assassins and telling annikan their love can never be (next to a roaring fireplace wearing a leather bustier).

during his brief stint he proposes a motion which passes to give supreme authority to Palpatine for the duration of the emergency.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Otisburg posted:

padme let jar jar be substitute naboonian senator while she was hiding from assassins and telling annikan their love can never be (next to a roaring fireplace wearing a leather bustier).

during his brief stint he proposes a motion which passes to give supreme authority to Palpatine for the duration of the emergency.

Bolded part is where she should be removed from whatever office she hold because thats sabotage.
Letting an obviously retarded person anywhere near a position of political influence is high treason and she should actually be hanged or shot or both.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

My Q-Face posted:

Nobody thought it was dumb because he didn't have a tiny evil goatee, he didn't have any lines, and literally appeared and got immediately killed at the end of a story about the empire trying to remake a clone army using a cloned jedi to control them. I mean, it didn't really stand out.

I was joking about the goatee but "it was entirely pointless and unnecessary" isn't a great excuse to throw in an evil Luke skywalker clone made out of the empire strikes back hand it's still silly and dumb

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Bolded part is where she should be removed from whatever office she hold because thats sabotage.
Letting an obviously retarded person anywhere near a position of political influence is high treason and she should actually be hanged or shot or both.

I dunno a bumbly incompetent with no redeeming traits gaining access to political office because of nepotism and luck sounds fairly standard

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

ManMythLegend posted:

I don't take it as him crying though, maybe just a hint of remorse. This kind of fits with what was probably going through his mind at this point of Empire. Especially if you think he is sincere in his offer to Luke to join forces and kick the Emperor's rear end.

I thought it was touching too.

Acne Rain posted:

pls don't defend dath vader crying over c 3po, goons.
it's just bad.

Whelp! :)

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Woolie Wool posted:

If you want to single out one of the space furries, this is the one:

Yes, a Jedi Master who is the size and approximate shape of a Pomeranian.

How can you use a lightsaber if you don't have hands? (yes, he has a lightsaber)

Pull a Kreia.

Of the opinion that not every Jedi needs a lightsaber, like Yoda didn't need a little baby lightsaber.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
shouldn't like half of jedi school be poli sci since they are intergalactic negotiators, shouldn't they have had the foresight to tell every senator that giving someone ultimate power was a bad idea.

Also why didn't they have like some satellite temples out in the outer rim functioning in case something happened to the main temple.

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

Yolomon Wayne posted:

They elected a fourteen year old "queen" so her constituents have to be pretty used to political incompetence.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

RAGE HOLE posted:

They elected a fourteen year old "queen" so her constituents have to be pretty used to political incompetence.

planet run by ephibrophiles

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

burritolingus posted:

Pull a Kreia.

Of the opinion that not every Jedi needs a lightsaber, like Yoda didn't need a little baby lightsaber.

This is actually not terrible compared to a lot of the dumb poo poo that has been brought up in here

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Professor Shark posted:

This is actually not terrible compared to a lot of the dumb poo poo that has been brought up in here

Kreia was another one of those things KOTOR II did right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzLEBtObYxU

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
anyone here remember how terrible KOTOR 2 was at release before it got fixed and how it was a giant pile of poo poo, like all EU.

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

TOILETLORD posted:

anyone here remember how terrible KOTOR 2 was at release before it got fixed and how it was a giant pile of poo poo, like all EU.

I still have never played the non-lovely not-broken version. It just hurt me so much the first time I finished it and in all these years I haven't let myself fall in love with it again.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I was joking about the goatee but "it was entirely pointless and unnecessary" isn't a great excuse to throw in an evil Luke skywalker clone made out of the empire strikes back hand it's still silly and dumb
Well it did serve a purpose in the book, as the clone provided an adequate substitute for silencing a dead Emperor's incessant schizophrenia-like exhortations at Mara Jade's address to kill Luke Skywalker.

Professor Shark posted:

Fighting a bunch of floating lightsabers looks pretty loving silly, actually. Straight out of a '90s ghost comedy.

EDIT:

burritolingus posted:

Kreia was another one of those things KOTOR II did right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzLEBtObYxU
I forget, what happened if you picked the/a neutral option?

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 3, 2014

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

RAGE HOLE posted:

I still have never played the non-lovely not-broken version. It just hurt me so much the first time I finished it and in all these years I haven't let myself fall in love with it again.

i got it for xbox on christmas as my only present one year you have no idea how angry that still makes me.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

I've always wondered what's the deal with those three random alien guys palpatine is hanging out with in every scene in the prequel. Are they other senators? Do they work for him? Why did he invite them to the space opera? Are they all friends? Is there an EU comic book where they all hang out?

Important people have servants.

Star Wars is really a textbook example of how not to design a universe. Instead of themes, values, and tone, Star Wars is defined by recognizable (toyetic) images of things--particular ship designs, carbonite chambers, lightsabers, Stormtrooper armor. So everything gets endlessly recycled because a Star Wars without carbonite, TIE Fighters, lightsabers, and white plastic armor is "not Star Wars" because all Star Wars is is carbonite, TIE Fighters, lightsabers, and white plastic armor. Contrast Tolkien, who had the Númenoreans at the zenith of their glory gallivanting around in battleships that shoot missiles (it's described in flowery quasi-medieval language but he's clearly talking about steam or diesel powered ships that launch rockets at their targets) and Morgoth invading elven cities with armored personnel carriers, and it's not "not Tolkien" unless you only know Tolkien's mythos through the movies and call it the "LOTRverse" in which case you're a terrible person and should get mesothelioma and die.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RAGE HOLE posted:

Did they have a fixed version for the original xbox? I only got around to playing them a few years back since I'd never owned an xbox and my roommate still had his and both games and I don't recall having any issues whatsoever with kotor2 but I hear about how it's broken all the time

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

burritolingus posted:

Dumb that Darth built C3P0 and dumb that he recognizes a droid that looks like just about every other droid in the universe because apparently Darth was an unoriginal as a kid and just built droid recolors like he's some kind of Sonic fan (ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL). Also dumb that he's having a cry over a robot and then feels nothing for his real son and even chops his son's hand off.

he's more..... machine now.... than man....

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

a starwar betamax posted:

he's more..... machine now.... than man....

don't make fun of those dudes that need the penis machine with a switch installed to get a boner, that's just mean.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Woolie Wool posted:

Contrast Tolkien, who had the Númenoreans at the zenith of their glory gallivanting around in battleships that shoot missiles (it's described in flowery quasi-medieval language but he's clearly talking about steam or diesel powered ships that launch rockets at their targets) and Morgoth invading elven cities with armored personnel carriers, and it's not "not Tolkien" unless you only know Tolkien's mythos through the movies and call it the "LOTRverse" in which case you're a terrible person and should get mesothelioma and die.

shameful

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The whole C3PO thing is exactly what I'm talking about. C3PO had no business being in the prequels but there he is because he's recognizable and toyetic and he must be there.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

The whole C3PO thing is exactly what I'm talking about. C3PO had no business being in the prequels but there he is because he's recognizable and toyetic and he must be there.

According to the prequels r2d2 could've just kicked everyone's rear end in the original trilogy but chose to be barely mobile instead cause he's a lazy turd or something

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

R2D2 pulling jump jets out of his rear end is the very definition of toyetic and the merch makes much, much more than the box office receipts do.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Woolie Wool posted:

Contrast Tolkien, who had the Númenoreans at the zenith of their glory gallivanting around in battleships that shoot missiles (it's described in flowery quasi-medieval language but he's clearly talking about steam or diesel powered ships that launch rockets at their targets) and Morgoth invading elven cities with armored personnel carriers, and it's not "not Tolkien" unless you only know Tolkien's mythos through the movies and call it the "LOTRverse" in which case you're a terrible person and should get mesothelioma and die.

You haven't really read Tolkiens works have you?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I read the Silmarillion, there's a pretty clear description of Númenorean ships that move without needing a wind (I think they might have been made of metal or some exotic non-wood material too but my memory is not clear on this) and launch "darts" that can destroy targets over the horizon. And Morgoth's forces had troop transports that propelled themselves through "a fire" inside them and just so happened to have been first written about during World War I, when Tolkien was fighting and got to see tanks firsthand (he was rather appalled).

But the point is that the different parts of the Tolkien mythos are actually different and not just recycled versions of a specific few years at the end of the Third Age.

E: and no they wouldn't have been galleys, a civilization as powerful as Númenor would not brag about having ships as primitive as galleys.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 3, 2014

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

Aesop Poprock posted:

Did they have a fixed version for the original xbox? I only got around to playing them a few years back since I'd never owned an xbox and my roommate still had his and both games and I don't recall having any issues whatsoever with kotor2 but I hear about how it's broken all the time

Maybe it was because of the paths I took but the published version was really buggy and the ending was full of plot holes and loose ends. I remember HK47 and G0T0 having a scene towards the end that seemed to foreshadow them being up to something and it ended up going nowhere, I never saw either of them again. Your character's end was originally written to have a lot more finality to it, but at some point late in the game they decided to leave it open ended to make room for a sequel that would never happen. There were hidden audio files that had some dramatic death scenes of your companions that were cut out. Late in development Lucasarts demanded they push the game out by Christmas when Obsidian still had a lot of work yet to do so the result is an abortion of abandoned dreams and possibilities.

I think the community-made modded version is only available for PC, but I could be wrong.

RAGE HOLE fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 3, 2014

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Sombrerotron posted:

Well it did serve a purpose in the book, as the clone provided an adequate substitute for silencing a dead Emperor's incessant schizophrenia-like exhortations at Mara Jade's address to kill Luke Skywalker.
Fighting a bunch of floating lightsabers looks pretty loving silly, actually. Straight out of a '90s ghost comedy.

EDIT:
I forget, what happened if you picked the/a neutral option?

As I recall it just changes how much light side/darkside points you get. I don't think there's any way out of that encounter without a shift, but then again it's been years since I played that.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RAGE HOLE posted:

Maybe it was because of the paths I took but the published version was really buggy and the ending was full of plot holes and loose ends. I remember HK47 and G0T0 having a scene towards the end that seemed to foreshadow them being up to something and it ended up going nowhere, I never saw either of them again. Your character's end was originally written to have a lot more finality to it, but at some point late in the game they decided to leave it open ended to make room for a sequel that would never happen. There were hidden audio files that had some dramatic death scenes of your companions that were cut out. Late in development Lucasarts demanded they push the game out by Christmas when Obsidian still had a lot of work yet to do so the result is an abortion of abandoned dreams and possibilities.

I think the community-made modded version is only available for PC, but I could be wrong.

Ah yeah I remember the ending being sudden and not great I just figured it was mostly game ruining bugs and unfinished mechanics people were talking about

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

Aesop Poprock posted:

Ah yeah I remember the ending being sudden and not great I just figured it was mostly game ruining bugs and unfinished mechanics people were talking about

That's the worst part about how it was broken. It was a pretty fun game with great characters and story, annoying bugs here and there but nothing a reboot won't fix, and you spend like 100+ hours with it just to have it all fart out in the end. You don't get any conclusion to your companions' stories and your big "You won!!" ending is having a chat with a KOTOR I character about whatever Revan is up to these days.

At first I just thought it was disappointing and poorly written (in the last couple of hours or so). It wasn't until years later that I learned it could have been so much better.

RAGE HOLE fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 3, 2014

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Woolie Wool posted:

I read the Silmarillion, there's a pretty clear description of Númenorean ships that move without needing a wind (I think they might have been made of metal or some exotic non-wood material too but my memory is not clear on this) and launch "darts" that can destroy targets over the horizon. And Morgoth's forces had troop transports that propelled themselves through "a fire" inside them and just so happened to have been first written about during World War I, when Tolkien was fighting and got to see tanks firsthand (he was rather appalled).

But the point is that the different parts of the Tolkien mythos are actually different and not just recycled versions of a specific few years at the end of the Third Age.

E: and no they wouldn't have been galleys, a civilization as powerful as Númenor would not brag about having ships as primitive as galleys.

you give a poo poo about this

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Woolie Wool posted:

Star Wars is really a textbook example of how not to design a universe. Instead of themes, values, and tone, Star Wars is defined by recognizable (toyetic) images of things--particular ship designs, carbonite chambers, lightsabers, Stormtrooper armor. So everything gets endlessly recycled because a Star Wars without carbonite, TIE Fighters, lightsabers, and white plastic armor is "not Star Wars" because all Star Wars is is carbonite, TIE Fighters, lightsabers, and white plastic armor. Contrast Tolkien, who had the Númenoreans at the zenith of their glory gallivanting around in battleships that shoot missiles (it's described in flowery quasi-medieval language but he's clearly talking about steam or diesel powered ships that launch rockets at their targets) and Morgoth invading elven cities with armored personnel carriers, and it's not "not Tolkien" unless you only know Tolkien's mythos through the movies and call it the "LOTRverse" in which case you're a terrible person and should get mesothelioma and die.

I heard that if I get mesothelioma that I should contact a lawyer because I may be entitled to a large cash settlement.

It's my money and I want it now!

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

a starwar betamax posted:

you give a poo poo about this

This is a thread for people who can hold a conversation about the books, comics, games, cartoons, and toys tangentially related to forty year old movies about space wizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

RAGE HOLE posted:

This is a thread for people who can hold a conversation about the books, comics, games, cartoons, and toys tangentially related to forty year old movies about space wizards.

lmao no that is just you, turbonerd

• Locked thread