Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

If having Mark Sheppard in the cast for 5 years is wrong, I don't ever want to be right.

I don't have a problem with him being in the cast; he just shouldn't have spent more than a half season as king of hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Kinda bummed Hannah is out, I liked her.

I find myself remembering some of the horrible poo poo that Crowley has done, like all the extra prophets being killed etc, and I am very torn about liking the character :ohdear:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

priznat posted:

Kinda bummed Hannah is out, I liked her.

I find myself remembering some of the horrible poo poo that Crowley has done, like all the extra prophets being killed etc, and I am very torn about liking the character :ohdear:

Yeah it's pretty much impossible not to though. And i'll miss Hannah too but I guess she had a nice ending which is a bit of a change for this show.

FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl

Wandle Cax posted:

nice ending which is a bit of a change for this show.

For now....
It seemed like a good endings kind of episode but i am sure we haven't seen the end of these characters.

One thing I don't understand is Hannah says she is done with the host, but can she still help Castiel in her spirit firm?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shakugan posted:

I don't have a problem with him being in the cast; he just shouldn't have spent more than a half season as king of hell.

It is not the sort of job you get to retire from though.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Shakugan posted:

You know, I think they made a mistake by making Crowley king of hell (or at least, having him keep that position for such a long drat time). Hell and demons in general have just lost any semblance of danger because Crowley is king (and therefore has to be the strongest), but is next to an ally to the Winchesters.

Crowley is cool and all, but he's made demons suck.

The thing is though, they know Crowley will turn on them immediately.

And not only that, Crowley is content in his kingdom; he's not like Abaddon who's going to storm up to Earth proper and start wrecking poo poo. Crowley likes things they way they are. And having someone who is at least somewhat predictable in his motivations is good for the Winchesters. At the moment, the alliance benefits Crowley.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

computer parts posted:

I do kinda wish they'd be more consistent about an overarching plot but the last time they did that everyone bitched at them (Leviathans) so whatever.

That's because Leviathans were terrible, in all fairness.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

priznat posted:

Yeah the one thing that always kind of bugged me about the show, is the utter disregard for the "little people". Man if you're not one of the primary characters life is nasty, brutal and short.
Even if you are one of the primary characters. The only difference is that main characters often (but not always) get to come back to life.

Shakugan posted:

You know, I think they made a mistake by making Crowley king of hell (or at least, having him keep that position for such a long drat time). Hell and demons in general have just lost any semblance of danger because Crowley is king (and therefore has to be the strongest), but is next to an ally to the Winchesters.

Crowley is cool and all, but he's made demons suck.
Not necessarily a bad thing. Demons have been the default bad guys for so long, having them more under control lets some others have a chance. And having Crowley be the king of hell makes him useful, and probably safer to keep alive than to kill, which is a great excuse to keep him in the show.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I agree; calming down demons and angels sets the stage for Supernatural Abroad where they get to go overseas and fight things like Kuchisake Onna, Popobawa, and Nessie.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
They can't go abroad because Dean can't fly. But then they did go to Scotland dig up Crowley, didn't they? Why didn't we get to see that episode? I appreciate the reveal, but still, that's around 24 hours they spent in an airport and in the air.

I'm willing to bet Dean was drugged out of his gourd.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

empty sea posted:

They can't go abroad because Dean can't fly. But then they did go to Scotland dig up Crowley, didn't they? Why didn't we get to see that episode? I appreciate the reveal, but still, that's around 24 hours they spent in an airport and in the air.

I'm willing to bet Dean was drugged out of his gourd.

Because that was the Bobby episode and it was focused on Bobby. Dean did say that he was sober the whole trip.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Because that was the Bobby episode and it was focused on Bobby. Dean did say that he was sober the whole trip.

The Bobby episode is probably one of the Top 5 episodes of the series, just because you aren't dealing with any whiny Winchester bullshit or the whole Samless thing. Oh and because Rufus is secretly the father of Black Dynamite.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Jiro posted:

The Bobby episode is probably one of the Top 5 episodes of the series, just because you aren't dealing with any whiny Winchester bullshit or the whole Samless thing. Oh and because Rufus is secretly the father of Black Dynamite.

Rufus was loving awesome and that episode was hilarious. Steven Williams owns.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

priznat posted:

Rufus was loving awesome and that episode was hilarious. Steven Williams owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToEl-QG0AlE

Naw I'm pretty sure it's five. :smug:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Jiro posted:

Weekend at Bobby's ALONE justifies Season 6. Soulless Sam, the fairy episode and The French Mistake made it a great decision.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Some Numbers posted:

Weekend at Bobby's ALONE justifies Season 6. Soulless Sam, the fairy episode and The French Mistake made it a great decision.

It's weird how memorable episodes just pop up, I guess because the show's not as serial as it appears.

Like, Season 7 was all about Leviathans but that's where the crazy clown episode came from or the one where the demon's host was a serial killer. Or how Season 8 had that weird cartoon episode.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh man the cartoon one, that was very cool. I loved Who Framed Roger Rabbit as a kid.

One that sticks with me for some reason is the one where Dean goes back to the boy's home he was put in when John ditched him for gambling away the food money. It was a real throwback episode, could have worked in the first season even but being familiar with Dean already gave it a bit more of an emotional heft. A good non-comedy/non-storyline episode for sure.

edit: oh that was season 9, not 8.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Yep! Usually there are a few episodes at the start of the season to wrap up the cliffhangers from the prior season finale and introduce A New Problem. From there, it's mostly demon/monster/problem of the week episodes that often start and end with a little bit of serial material, then the last few episodes re-emphasize The New Problem until it's, like, 99% dealt with. And repeat. There are exceptions, and it's more pronounced after season 5, but that's the general pattern.

It's not an indictment or anything. Even heavily serialized shows like Justified don't always focus on the main arc. Can't always be about the Bennetts. Sometimes we need the Travis Travers types to come out for a bit.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Prepare for a Riot - Why not Try it?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Wow, that was a boring episode. That reeked of "poo poo, need to fill time, drag in one of the extremely minor characters from seasons back"

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I dunno, I thought it was cute. Then, I like Jodi and Fargo, so the two of them showcasing heavily is a ok with me.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

cool kids inc. posted:

I dunno, I thought it was cute. Then, I like Jodi and Fargo, so the two of them showcasing heavily is a ok with me.

Yeah, I thought it was a decent MotW episode. Nothing amazing, but nothing to really complain about either.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

pentyne posted:

Wow, that was a boring episode. That reeked of "poo poo, need to fill time, drag in one of the extremely minor characters from seasons back"

Jodi has been shown in every season since she was introduced. At this point she is almost the longest running female character in the show!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

cool kids inc. posted:

Yea I really enjoyed the dynamic there, which made what would have been a very forgettable episode at least somewhat entertaining.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sam and Dean need to start wearing helmets or the writers need to come up with better ways for them to get captured.

This sequence has been used way too much:

1) Sneak up on someone bad
2) Gesture to the other brother that you see bad person
3) Look back, bad person gone
4) Oh poo poo, they are behind us
5) Knockout punch! Wake up tied up.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Also, you're with four people, can't you have at least one of them look 180 degrees the other way from Dean and Sam?

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

bull3964 posted:

Sam and Dean need to start wearing helmets or the writers need to come up with better ways for them to get captured.

This sequence has been used way too much:

1) Sneak up on someone bad
2) Gesture to the other brother that you see bad person
3) Look back, bad person gone
4) Oh poo poo, they are behind us
5) Knockout punch! Wake up tied up.

Next thing you know, you'll be asking for bungee cords on their weapons!

Lunadystopia
Oct 15, 2014
Thus episode was well cute. I really like Jodi she us such a badass character and she is almost like a mom to the boys.

Did you guys watch the promo to the next episode, the mid season finale?? I'm so excited to that episode because finally they are going to approach the Mark arch history! Its a shame that the Mark wasn't more present in more episodes. Its a great history with Cain and all but oh well they are beating more on filler episodes I suppose..

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Did you guys notice Jodi saying, "You got too many cooks in the kitchen?"

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Holy gently caress that last episode of Supernatural. What the hell. Give me THAT show, forever. Lady cops best cops oh man. Gimme that. Make that the spinoff.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lunadystopia posted:

Thus episode was well cute. I really like Jodi she us such a badass character and she is almost like a mom to the boys.

Did you guys watch the promo to the next episode, the mid season finale?? I'm so excited to that episode because finally they are going to approach the Mark arch history! Its a shame that the Mark wasn't more present in more episodes. Its a great history with Cain and all but oh well they are beating more on filler episodes I suppose..

It's been subtle, but it's been there for most of the post-Demon Dean episodes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Whalley posted:

Holy gently caress that last episode of Supernatural. What the hell. Give me THAT show, forever. Lady cops best cops oh man. Gimme that. Make that the spinoff.

I would definitely watch a Supernatural spin-off starring Jody and Donna.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I would prefer a spinoff that has monster gangs fighting each other in like, Chicago or something.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

We're definitely going to see Donna at least once more. They spent a lot of time in this episode establishing that Donna is a doormat and her ex is a jerk, and there has been no pay off for that. She takes the revelation that monsters exist pretty well, better than most people. Then later that same day she beheads a vampire. That's got to put being 15 pounds overweight into perspective.

The only explanation for not having a moment where she stops being a doormat for her ex is if they are saving that for a future episode.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Tiggum posted:

I would definitely watch a Supernatural spin-off starring Jody and Donna.

Yeah, it wasn't my favorite episode ever but those two had incredibly good chemistry with eachother. Definitely would watch again.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I think Sam and Dean have been hit in the head too many times. It's established that vampires live in packs, solo vampires are very rare, they should have assumed he was with other vampires but instead assumed he was alone. Also, I paused the episode when Sam was looking at his phone to map the address. His phone said it was 9:48 AM and he was typing the address into an Android notes app.

Edit: Screenshot somebody took

He does not have a SIM card in his phone!

Yaos fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 4, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I just watched the PVR'd show, nice one! I like Jodi and the other Sheriff, Donna, is growing on me.

Fun factoid, the Sheriff retreat hotel is the Swiss Mountain Club just outside of Vancouver: http://scmra.ca/

Lunadystopia
Oct 15, 2014

computer parts posted:

It's been subtle, but it's been there for most of the post-Demon Dean episodes.

Yeah I wish that they did more Demon Dean episodes but oh well we can always have what we want ahahaha. I really looking forward for the rest of the season

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Lunadystopia posted:

Yeah I wish that they did more Demon Dean episodes but oh well we can always have what we want ahahaha. I really looking forward for the rest of the season

From what I saw in the preview for the mid season finale, we might get just that. Looks like Dean might relapse. He asked Castiel to take him out if he goes over the edge, and you see him huddled in a room full of fresh bodies he just slaughtered. Whether they are demons/monsters/people is unclear, but he seems distraught and my guess is he went rage-boner mode and once everyone was dead he realized what happened and what that means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Ravane posted:

Did you guys notice Jodi saying, "You got too many cooks in the kitchen?"

It's almost like it's a colloquial phrase?