Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Westvleteren 12. Only bout half of one of the cases will eventually find itself to be in a cellar near me though. Rochefort 10 is just as good, and much easier to find.

Supradog has a new favorite as of 16:06 on Dec 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
That is the most jealousy-inducing post I've ever seen on here.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Supradog posted:

Westvleteren 12. Only bout half of one of the cases will eventually find itself to be in a cellar near me though. Rochefort 10 is just as good, and much easier to find.

Wait, how did you get two cases? Don't they sell just one case a man, it's been a while since I visited so I'm probably miseremembering but as far as I can remember they check for your license plate and everything and only sell you one case per car. Anyway congrats with buying one of the most exclusive beers and probably the best quadrupel in the world!

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Their order process is changed a little bit, but is still as insane as before.

code:
	RESERVEREN 2 bakken - RESERVER 2 casiers	 	OPHALEN 2 bakken - ENLEVER 2 casiers
	RESERVE 2 crates - RESERVIEREN 2 Kisten	 		COLLECT 2 crates - ABHOLEN 2 Kisten
	maandag		1/12/2014	X  X  X	 		8/12/2014	TW 12	13.30 - 16.30
	Lu Mon Mo	 

dinsdag 	2/12/2014	X  X  X	 		9/12/2014	TW 12	13.30 - 16.30
	Mar Tue Di	 

woensdag	3/12/2014	X  X  X	 		10/12/2014	TW 12	13.30 - 16.30
	Mer Wed Mi	 

donderdag	4/12/2014	TW 12	09.00 - 12.00	11/12/2014	TW 12	13.30 - 16.30
	Jeu Thu Do			TW 12	13.00 - 15.30	 

vrijdag		5/12/2014	X  X  X	 		12/12/2014	Gesloten	Fermé
	Ven Fri Fr	 							Closed	Geschlossen

zaterdag	6/12/2014	X  X  X	 		13/12/2014	TW 12	13.30 - 16.30
You call them a week before, and reserve up to two cases of the beer they are selling that day on a car registration number. As you can see this week they only have the phone lines open on the 4th. If your call gets through you can reserve. Repeat calling apps on android phones work great, and the call is just disconnected if you cant get through so there is no charge for missed calls. If you pick up your ordered beer your car registration number and phone number is blocked from ordering for 60 days. If you book, but don't collect you can re-book if you get through on the phone again.

They only sell by cases of 24, with 2 cases max. They also have a limit on how many sales they book for each day. Prices is currently 30/35/40 euro a bottle for blond/8/12 respectively so those 2 cases are about $1785 in total. They prefer card, not cash and each buyer is asked not to resell any of the beer, they are for personal consumption.

Supradog has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Dec 2, 2014

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Supradog posted:

so those 2 cases are about $1785 in total.

loving christ. That'd buy a lot of Natty Bohs.

vxsarin has a new favorite as of 20:24 on Dec 2, 2014

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Pukestain Pal posted:

loving christ

Yea, I'd like to try one, but only one, please.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

uh, well, I actually converted from euro to usd wrong, it's $2378..

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Jesus loving Christ. I like booze, but not enough to burn three months of 40 hour work weeks to get two cases of it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What does it taste like?

EDIT: Woot Fatique uses it to flush his Benjamins

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Jesus loving Christ. I like booze, but not enough to burn three months of 40 hour work weeks to get two cases of it.

Dude, if you are making a total of $2500 for three months of fulltime work (even if you are only talking about discretionary spending income), you need to go back to school or something.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah but it's like 10% abv so one bottle is like having two bottles of most beers. So it's only like a $25 bottle of beer. That's not far off what most sports stadiums charge :P

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'd like to try that, but I don't feel like renting a car to drive there and spending over 1000 dollars on beer. I get that rarity is valuable, but if it's something I've never tried before and can't really try before buying, I don't see how people can justify spending that much on it for the sole reason that it is rare.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

1redflag posted:

Dude, if you are making a total of $2500 for three months of fulltime work (even if you are only talking about discretionary spending income), you need to go back to school or something.

Not everyone has that privilege, especially with outstanding student loan debt as is. But this isn't the PYF Crushing Debt thread.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Check your booze privilege please.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Well, they're on the level of an good bottle of wine. Open one and share in fancy glasses, real special occasion stuff. They store real good, and also mature and change since they're unfiltered. 10 years or more of maturation is no problem.

The monks themselves only sell enough to keep their monastery going and only recently upped the price to get money for a new roof(as far as I recall). More info on them here.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Getting way off topic here, but here is some more info on Westvleteren

I recently bought this Buff. Keeps my neck and head nice and warm:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Toast Museum posted:

poo poo, I thought I'd gone back and changed "jeans" to "pants." Well, they're kind of jeans-adjacent, anyway.

511 Slim fit hybrid trousers - picante
Chino pants - crushed berry

Thanks!

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Supradog posted:

Their order process is changed a little bit, but is still as insane as before.

code:
	RESERVEREN 2 bakken - RESERVER 2 casiers	 	OPHALEN 2 bakken - ENLEVER 2 casiers
	RESERVE 2 crates - RESERVIEREN 2 Kisten	 		COLLECT 2 crates - ABHOLEN 2 Kisten
	maandag		1/12/2014	X  X  X	 		8/12/2014	TW 12	13.30 - 16.30
	Lu Mon Mo	 

dinsdag 	2/12/2014	X  X  X	 		9/12/2014	TW 12	13.30 - 16.30
	Mar Tue Di	 

woensdag	3/12/2014	X  X  X	 		10/12/2014	TW 12	13.30 - 16.30
	Mer Wed Mi	 

donderdag	4/12/2014	TW 12	09.00 - 12.00	11/12/2014	TW 12	13.30 - 16.30
	Jeu Thu Do			TW 12	13.00 - 15.30	 

vrijdag		5/12/2014	X  X  X	 		12/12/2014	Gesloten	Fermé
	Ven Fri Fr	 							Closed	Geschlossen

zaterdag	6/12/2014	X  X  X	 		13/12/2014	TW 12	13.30 - 16.30
You call them a week before, and reserve up to two cases of the beer they are selling that day on a car registration number. As you can see this week they only have the phone lines open on the 4th. If your call gets through you can reserve. Repeat calling apps on android phones work great, and the call is just disconnected if you cant get through so there is no charge for missed calls. If you pick up your ordered beer your car registration number and phone number is blocked from ordering for 60 days. If you book, but don't collect you can re-book if you get through on the phone again.

They only sell by cases of 24, with 2 cases max. They also have a limit on how many sales they book for each day. Prices is currently 30/35/40 euro a bottle for blond/8/12 respectively so those 2 cases are about $1785 in total. They prefer card, not cash and each buyer is asked not to resell any of the beer, they are for personal consumption.

You know it's 40 euro a case, not 40 euro a bottle, right? That kinda beer is expensive sure and buying it semi-unethically in a bottle shop is really expensive at 15 euro a bottle, but it's not a 1976 vintage Cuvée brut and if really did pay 1800 for those cases I'm really sorry to say this but you got monumentally ripped off. How did you buy these cases anyway, did you actually drive to the monastary in in West-Flanders?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

oscarthewilde posted:

You know it's 40 euro a case, not 40 euro a bottle, right?

That would change everything.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm not an expert on how it all works by any means, but last summer one afternoon we drove there on a whim and you could buy Westvleteren Blond/5/8, up to two sixpacks per person, no reservation, no limit per license plate. It's either/or with the varieties though, you've got to take the one they finished most recently. Which is information you can probably find on the internet somewhere.

It's only Westvleteren 12 that has all the crazy hoops and restrictions, as far as I know.

And yeah, if he paid 30€ a bottle, he was ripped off.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
$2k would buy a decent amount of coke. I think I'd rather do that instead.

That's if it's 30€ per bottle or whatever. If it's 30€ for a case of 24 then that's barely more expensive than regular beer, if at all (in Belgium).

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

mobby_6kl posted:

$2k would buy a decent amount of coke. I think I'd rather do that instead.

That's if it's 30€ per bottle or whatever. If it's 30€ for a case of 24 then that's barely more expensive than regular beer, if at all (in Belgium).

I think the Quad is €40,- a case which really is not that expensive for a craft brewskie, I regularly spend quite a bit more on expensive British or American beers that don't have the amazing reputation Westvleteren has.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

haha, yeah, I got it wrong. Price was pr case. I'm not the guy down there getting them, thought it seemed a bit expensive even for nice beer. so a little over $2 a bottle..

Dana Scully
Dec 25, 2010

hey scully, wanna break into the dean's office?

After a year of trying to make a decision on upgrading, there was a sale.

I wish we had more colours beyond black or white here, though. I would have liked the gold. :(

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I realized I moved nearly two years ago, have already celebrated a christmas without a wreath so I should probably buy one. I am also a dork but that did not require any realizing.

also christmas presents:

and a thing to help protect me from the dry, dry winters and the crazy static here.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Yamaha RX-V375 receiver. Needed to replace the old Sony with something modern, but not too fancy.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

quote:

and a thing to help protect me from the dry, dry winters and the crazy static here.

What is this thing?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

colas posted:

What is this thing?

By the power of GIS... http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/9de7/

$13 so you can touch things with this instead of your finger.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Totally TWISTED posted:

By the power of GIS... http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/9de7/

$13 so you can touch things with this instead of your finger.

You still touch things with your finger. It just makes sure your finger won't zap hundred dollar components into dust.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

I just got my first gift from Cards Against Humanity's Ten Days or Whatever of Kwanzaa

Two cards

One that says "-My Real Name-'s butt" and another black card that says "Here likes -My Real Name-, -year I was born- - 2015, beloved friend and lover of ______

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you didn't do it last year instead of the first one you get one with just your name.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010

Where did you get this? My girlfriend will poo poo.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

martinlutherbling posted:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1d18/
That's weird. In our household we just say thank you.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

martinlutherbling posted:

At least she'll have the proper receptacle for it then?

Figured I'd try it out for my parents, they wanted a way to use Netflix

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I did some Christmas shopping :sassargh:

Shoes for my wife:

Some board games to play over the holidays:

And some novelty booze to drink:

gypsycabdriver
Apr 19, 2007

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

'tis fun as hell

Got this one; it's Carcassonne in space, with drafting of double sided tiles. So awesome.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

boz posted:

You still touch things with your finger. It just makes sure your finger won't zap hundred dollar components into dust.

I...still don't get it. :confused:

What does that do that just holding onto a key and using that to touch something grounded doesn't, other than some stupid :haw: smiley?

Holding a key lets me know it works cause I usually hear a little "zap" when it discharges mt static into the car/whatever.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Robawesome posted:

I just got my first gift from Cards Against Humanity's Ten Days or Whatever of Kwanzaa

Two cards

One that says "-My Real Name-'s butt" and another black card that says "Here likes -My Real Name-, -year I was born- - 2015, beloved friend and lover of ______

Aphrodite posted:

If you didn't do it last year instead of the first one you get one with just your name.

This really makes me happy, since I got this as a Christmas present for a group of friends who have a house together, and the name on the shipping address is a weird amalgamation of all three of their names. It does make me wonder if my name is on the cards though, since it's the name on the credit card that paid. Either way, it's going to be fun when all this stuff starts showing up at their house without any advance warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Board game spin off of Newsies is very weird.