Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's about loving time someone released a boardgame for Wii U, although I hear this one isn't too hot.

I really enjoyed it, but unfortunately it's a situation where I've already played it on steam. They released an updated version though with more content, so if the Wii U version contains all of the new stuff and they do some cool things with the gamepad I might bite.

It's a game where you are disadvantaged playing as the Space Hulks, so that may or may not be frustrating to some players. It's a solid strategy game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I got a Wii U yesterday. I've noticed when playing Super Mario Bros U that there's this odd thing going on which has the brightness of the screen visibly fluctuating without apparent reason. Is this a known issue?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fuligin posted:

I got a Wii U yesterday. I've noticed when playing Super Mario Bros U that there's this odd thing going on which has the brightness of the screen visibly fluctuating without apparent reason. Is this a known issue?

On the pad or TV? If TV, sounds like you have one with an ambient light sensor.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
My left Gamepad thumbstick seems to be offering a little more resistance than usual. I don't know if I'm imagining it or not but it seems harder to tap and run in games. Is there a way to improve movement fluidity in these things or do I have to send it in.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

SeANMcBAY posted:

On the pad or TV? If TV, sounds like you have one with an ambient light sensor.

Yeah this was the problem, thanks. I'd been gone for thanksgiving but turns out it'd been doing it for a couple of days.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GameTrailers just tossed up their Toad Treasure Trackers review. Looks really loving good.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I found a copy of Metal Slug Anthology for the Wii a few weeks ago I was going to give some people as a gift since they're getting a WiiU. However, I started reading about how on the original Wii there are a lot of control options and I think it said it's not compatible with the Classic Controller.

Anyone know if the WiiU Gamepad works with it?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You can't use the Gamepad to control games, just view games on the screen.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
US dudes, Kmart has some decent prices right now (in-store, I think):

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - $30
http://www.kmart.com/nintendo-donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze-for-nintendo/p-018W007285636001P?prdNo=2

Lego City Undercover - $30
http://www.kmart.com/nintendo-lego-city-undercover/p-018W003784397001P?prdNo=14

Pikmin 3 - $30
http://www.kmart.com/nintendo-wii-u-pikmin-3/p-018W003784380002P?prdNo=8

Zelda: Wind Waker HD - $30
http://www.kmart.com/nintendo-the-legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker/p-018W006089500001P?prdNo=4

Wii Fit U with Fit Meter (requires balance board) - $20
http://www.kmart.com/nintendo-wii-fit-u-with-fit-meter-for/p-018W007170765001P?prdNo=5

New Super Luigi U - $15
http://www.kmart.com/nintendo-new-super-luigi-u/p-018W006316507001P?prdNo=12

Mario & Sonic Sochi 2014 - $15
http://www.kmart.com/nintendo-mario-and-sonic-at-the-sochi-2014/p-018W006665049001P

Nintendo Land - $10
http://www.kmart.com/nintendo-land-for-wii-u/p-018W003784379001P

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

US dudes, Kmart has some decent prices right now (in-store, I think):
Those would be aesome prices if they weren't sold out. Also the caveat there, all our K-Marts closed up years ago :ssh:

e: Did anyone else buy the Best Buy Wii U Bundle on the 27th? My Wii-U arrived Monday but they haven't shipped or even seem to begun shipping DK:TF and SSB that was supposed to come with it. However, I placed an order with B1G40% and it shipped :iiam:

e: e: So I just got my Wii U set as I mentioned. What eShop/VC games would people recommend that have local multiplayer/co-op? I got a bunch of physical stuff coming and I think all I'm missing is Pikmin 3 and New Super Luigi/Mario U

Xaris fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 3, 2014

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I feel like this is some sort of ploy to get people to visit kmart.com. I refuse to believe that they actually stocked and then sold out of Mario & Sonic Sochi 2014.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Kmart is dead in my state.

My Wii u is set to arrive tomorrow is there anything I need to know about setting up my account? I have a 2ds so I'm gonna need to link that one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Who the gently caress lives near a Kmart?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Is the 3DS as much fun as the Wii U? It seems like everyone says the Wii U versions of the latest MK, Mario, and Smash are far superior.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
3DS owns bones, buy Kid Icarus today

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

the truth posted:

Is the 3DS as much fun as the Wii U? It seems like everyone says the Wii U versions of the latest MK, Mario, and Smash are far superior.
It might depend on the types of games you like, but the 3DS has a pretty fantastic library. Of the ones you mentioned, MK7, Super Mario 3D Land and Smash Bros are all perfectly good games, even if they have better sequels on the WiiU. You've also got Kirby, 2 really good Zeldas, Starfox, a whole bunch of great RPGs, plus everything on the eShop and Virtual Console.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

irlZaphod posted:

It might depend on the types of games you like, but the 3DS has a pretty fantastic library. Of the ones you mentioned, MK7, Super Mario 3D Land and Smash Bros are all perfectly good games, even if they have better sequels on the WiiU. You've also got Kirby, 2 really good Zeldas, Starfox, a whole bunch of great RPGs, plus everything on the eShop and Virtual Console.

It's even better if you've never owned a DS, because then you've got an even more massive library of excellent games to play.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Skwirl posted:

Lots of people. They have over 1000 stores.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's even better if you've never owned a DS, because then you've got an even more massive library of excellent games to play.
I knew I forgot to mention something, but yes the DS library expands it even further. The 3DS really is a pro purchase if you enjoy video games and fun.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I had a DS back in the day and had access to a lot of games, so the backwards compatibility wouldn't add much value for me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fix posted:

Lots of people. They have over 1000 stores.

That's an order of magnitude less than they had 15 years ago. I live in a large urban hub and I'm
much more likely to get hit by a car while crossing the street than I am to see a Kmart.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Skwirl posted:

That's an order of magnitude less than they had 15 years ago. I live in a large urban hub and I'm
much more likely to get hit by a car while crossing the street than I am to see a Kmart.

Oh. I went to a Kmart last week. And no, it never had 10,000 stores.

Fix fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 3, 2014

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Terrene posted:

Walmart is having a deal where you get a $50 gift card when you buy the Mario Kart 8 bundle.

http://weeklyads.walmart.com/mobile...8&h=2147.482796

I had them put one on hold for me on Monday, when I went in later that day to get it someone had sold it. :/

Just so people know, the deal actually works for a bunch of different bundles; my local Wal-Mart had a piece of computer paper cut out and poorly taped to glass, witha list of the bundles that the gift card came with. I personally got a gift card with the SM3DW bundle.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

So what's the deal with this latest Smash patch? If you get the error code you can't do anything about it and have to just send it off?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

MechaSeinfeld posted:

So what's the deal with this latest Smash patch? If you get the error code you can't do anything about it and have to just send it off?

It's not a Smash patch causing the issue, the patch just... TRIGGERS failures on defective flash memory modules in some Wii Us. A failure that'd be inevitable anyway. Like a RROD.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I suppose if you're using an external drive it wouldn't trigger any failure.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

the truth posted:

It's true that for the games you've mentioned, the sequel/version on the Wii U is the superior one, but the difference between the 3DS and the Wii U is that while the Wii U versions of the same game are often better, the 3DS has a much broader selection of games in the first place. So while for the biggest Nintendo franchises, for which games exist on both devices, the Wii U version is often better, there are lots of really good games on the 3DS which have no equivalent on the Wii U at all. The 3DS Luigi's Mansion game, for instance, is absolutely amazing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

greatn posted:

Nope. It's the same internal memory that the OS is stored on, and there's been a faulty batch. If your Wii U has faulty flash memory, it is Doomed.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well an OS patch might hit the faulty segment, but game patches go where the game is stored , don't they?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

This guy on Reddit breaks it down:
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2o2ems/error_1600103_its_not_smash/

Long and the short of it is - if you have one of the defective consoles, there's not much you can do to sidestep it. Better to just take the hit and get Nintendo to replace it for you.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Cat Machine posted:

This guy on Reddit breaks it down:
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2o2ems/error_1600103_its_not_smash/

Long and the short of it is - if you have one of the defective consoles, there's not much you can do to sidestep it. Better to just take the hit and get Nintendo to replace it for you.

I feel a bit better knowing I bricked my WiiU but that ultimately the console was defective. Sucks cause I got it a couple months after launch and haven't had problems till this :negative:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

greatn posted:

No, but the game gave me issues left and right when it was on external memory. I'm not talking a 10 year old mechanical drive either, I got a 32GB flash drive so I could fit Smash Bros. on it and it lead to a bunch of issues with menus, music playing on menus, hang times and frequent disconnects in multiplayer with friends or randoms. I also kept DCing during team 2v2 For Glory matches and having to fight CPUs three times in a row. The game doesn't like external media.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I use an external HDD and have had no issues. The system in general doesn't want you running games off of USB flash drives, they specifically recommend against it.

In other news, Donkey Kong is suing Nintendo because they made him worn long hours at the LA zoo without giving him breaks or ice packs for the release of Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D in May last year. Donkey Kong suffered permanent heart damage because of this and had to have a pacemaker put in.

Asked for comment, Mr. Iwata said "Donkey Kong has always been a troublemaker and when he falls asleep on the job many fruits and animals are likely to be stolen. Because this was a zoo, such an occurrence would be unfortunate. As for your question about the ice pack, please understand that at the time we were developing Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, and we needed to use all of our ice on this project. It had to be delayed until February 2014 because of Donkey Kong's laziness. If Donkey Kong wanted ice he should have faced the Snowmads sooner. Instead he is seeking a check to live in a rocking chair just like Cranky Kong."

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Sire Oblivion posted:

No, but the game gave me issues left and right when it was on external memory. I'm not talking a 10 year old mechanical drive either, I got a 32GB flash drive so I could fit Smash Bros. on it and it lead to a bunch of issues with menus, music playing on menus, hang times and frequent disconnects in multiplayer with friends or randoms. I also kept DCing during team 2v2 For Glory matches and having to fight CPUs three times in a row. The game doesn't like external media.

Unless it's an SSD inside of an external drive enclosure, you're using cheap memory not designed for high performance read/writes like a game's gonna require.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Skwirl posted:

There's one still about 15 minutes from where I live. It's like a flea market on the inside though, and whenever I go in there looking for some odd deal I start to feel cold and depressed if I stay too long.

Of course, the places that have these games in stock are like 45 minutes away, can't ever have anything worthwhile at the local one.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

greatn posted:

I use an external HDD and have had no issues. The system in general doesn't want you running games off of USB flash drives, they specifically recommend against it.

In other news, Donkey Kong is suing Nintendo because they made him worn long hours at the LA zoo without giving him breaks or ice packs for the release of Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D in May last year. Donkey Kong suffered permanent heart damage because of this and had to have a pacemaker put in.

Asked for comment, Mr. Iwata said "Donkey Kong has always been a troublemaker and when he falls asleep on the job many fruits and animals are likely to be stolen. Because this was a zoo, such an occurrence would be unfortunate. As for your question about the ice pack, please understand that at the time we were developing Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, and we needed to use all of our ice on this project. It had to be delayed until February 2014 because of Donkey Kong's laziness. If Donkey Kong wanted ice he should have faced the Snowmads sooner. Instead he is seeking a check to live in a rocking chair just like Cranky Kong."

Feel better Donkey Kong. Godspeed

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Sire Oblivion posted:

I warned this thread about putting games on flash drive. I warned this thread MANY TIMES. It's not "the game", it's the "external media".

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DoctorWhat posted:

I warned this thread about putting games on flash drive. I warned this thread MANY TIMES. It's not "the game", it's the "external media".

I WARNED YOU ABOUT FLASH DRIVES BRO

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

raditts posted:

I WARNED YOU ABOUT FLASH DRIVES BRO

YOU MANIACS!!!!!!! YOU USED THE FLASH DRIVE!!!! drat YOU!!!!! drat YOU ALL TO HELL!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Ugh... why can't I preorder Captain Toad on Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Toad-Treasure-Tracker-Wii-U/dp/B00KWF38AW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417636937&sr=8-1&keywords=captain+toad

• Locked thread