Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

So I guess Build Burning's gimmick is a sorta Mobile Trace system that draws power from its fighter?

That or the overwhelming amount of plavisky particles it uses in the mode has the side effect of interacting with the pilot, replicating some of the damage the suit takes One would mean that Sei created the suit with that purpose in mind while the other would mean it was a unexpected drawback from its design. Both could potentially lead to Sei hiding it because it could be dangerous.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't really like the big episode reveal though. [spoiler] The fact that Sekai can be injured during battle is a really bad idea. It means they're going to play pretty kid-gloveys with him because of course they're not gonna do any serious damage to the kid.

I could be a legit reason not to rely on burning mode if it effectively sidelines you for a few days.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
We all assumed that Sei just stuffed the Build Burning into the Dom because he's a giant Gunpla Goon, but it was to hide the machine's deep, dark secret.

That was a good fight, and a pretty good episode overall.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I wonder if Fumina will ever update her GP Base. I mean, look at this.

For a moment it made me believe she'd return to the Powerd GM Cardigun [sic] for this fight.

That nitpick aside, really good episode. Battle was great and the docking was unexpected and wonderful. Yuuma vs Mega-Shiki was the best part of the episode though, with Yuuma finally doing something cool and making his existance in the series worth something. Hopefully he'll continue this way. Also good: The Mega-Shiki user pointing out he's going against how Gunpla should be by using someone else's.

Sekai taking damage from the Build Burning's super mode should prove to be an interesting plot point. Hopefully.

Main complaint: Fumina basically did nothing. Yuuma got an epic fight and so did Sekai, she...got a few lines then got totally destroyed.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

ImpAtom posted:

That said, the characterization this episode was way better. People reacted! People responded! The fact that it is considered 'throwing away your pride' to use someone else's Gunpla really makes me hope they'll address Sekai is doing the same next episode. The side character had characterizations, even if G-Master didn't interact with Team Try at all.

They also seem more willing to have notable cast interaction, so even if its in small amounts, it makes things feel a bit more whole.

They also seemed to play the teamwork aspect of things with more of a battlefield management element, trying to predict where people will be and using known elements of the battlefield. Plus the multi-part nature of a bunch of the gunpla being used for potential fakeouts. It was a hell of a lot more inventive than previous fights, possibly because they got to play more with established elements. Not saying they couldn't have handled these things better from the beginning, but its a markable difference from how they've previously handled battles.

Also I love that Yuuki's shades broke the blackout.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anyone else notice Mantisman and his girlfriend at the back of the audience? :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I could be a legit reason not to rely on burning mode if it effectively sidelines you for a few days.

It could be but I just imagine it being like similar modes in other shows where they hype up that it is Dangerous but it never actually ends up having any significant downsides. They can't actually sideline Sekai before a match since they have no replacement fighters.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I was really enjoying that fight but then it came down to a 1v1 where Sekai wins the fight for the team by himself and it just left me a little sad.
I think it sums up a lot that Fumina and Yuuma were both like "Sekai! We won!" Did they just not want to talk to each other or something?

Still a good episode and I enjoyed it. I really want kits of the G-Bomber and Amethyst Victory now.
Minato stealing Sekai's drink just so he could be dramatic was a thing of beauty, and Yuuki is such a dork I love it.

Also holy poo poo at Eureka Seven surfing Turn-A in the next episode.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 3, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

That was like 70% a great fight.

The biggest flaws is that once again they don't seem to be able to handle 3 on 3 battles and they used the splitting-up and docking gimmicks to once again bring it back to 1v1. This also comes with the side effect that Fumina did all of jack poo poo during the fight. She tanked a single attack to give him Winning Knuckle, which got wrecked and then her Core Fighter became a second Winning Knuckle. Yuuma at least got to fight the Mega Shiki.

Sekai effectively being the guy who defeated the entire enemy team is pretty disappointing, although I guess you can argue he only 'beat' the Mega Shiki by having a better-built Gunpla and it was 90% Yuuma.

That said, the characterization this episode was way better. People reacted! People responded! The fact that it is considered 'throwing away your pride' to use someone else's Gunpla really makes me hope they'll address Sekai is doing the same next episode. The side character had characterizations, even if G-Master didn't interact with Team Try at all.

I don't really like the big episode reveal though. The fact that Sekai can be injured during battle is a really bad idea. It means they're going to play pretty kid-gloveys with him because of course they're not gonna do any serious damage to the kid.

Yeah I agree with all this.

I do hope they're acknowledging that the Jigen Haoh techniques signalling the end of a battle was being overused and it's not just a one time fakeout. I've gotten so used to Sekai deciding to suddenly win with a Jigen Haoh move that I was legitimately surprised at how it turned out! That's a good thing.

Shame that the writers really can't figure out a way to make Fumina's contributions feel meaningful. Heck at this point I'm just hoping she can get a single good fight in.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It could be but I just imagine it being like similar modes in other shows where they hype up that it is Dangerous but it never actually ends up having any significant downsides. They can't actually sideline Sekai before a match since they have no replacement fighters.

Well luckily we have like 5 dudes and 2 warm bodies that are currently without a horse in this race unless they qualify somewhere else so hey they might have replacements! Not saying its going to happen, but it would be interesting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Well luckily we have like 5 dudes and 2 warm bodies that are currently without a horse in this race unless they qualify somewhere else so hey they might have replacements! Not saying its going to happen, but it would be interesting.

I assume they don't actually qualify because the fights are divided by schools and it seems unlikely you'd be allowed to bring in someone from a different club. Even NotSleggar had to transfer in before he was part of their team.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Given that Season 1 literally had a dude swap in during the semi-finals match I don't think people in charge are too stringent about that sort of thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pureauthor posted:

Given that Season 1 literally had a dude swap in during the semi-finals match I don't think people in charge are too stringent about that sort of thing.

Season 1 was under different rules though. These are official school teams, not private ones.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Yeah, but remember who ran the tournaments back then. They seem to have competent, sensible people in charge now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Season 1 wasn't school-based though. Anyone and everyone could fight. Season 1 also didn't have model damage rules and Mobile Armors were allowed in fights unrestricted.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

This was a great episode because the Plamo President and his girlfriend were still being all lovey-dovey in the background of the tournament arena.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The big reveal of the BBG's gimmick pretty much killed any hope of a fight as brutal as the Fenice vs the SBS. Hell it pretty much tanked any chance of the SBS ever taking any interesting/serious damage despite the Nationals using Rank A Damage.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Aside from Sekai winning again, this was a great episode and hopefully marks the show finally hitting its stride. A few episodes of downtime will be good. I was also amused by Yuuma's beam saber being cut in half, because this is the one setting where that actually makes sense.

Yuuki Tatsuya was also on the scene to provide a badly needed dose of ham.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Well you wouldn't be able to sell as many toys with the "Losing Road" concept.

I'm buying gunpla like a hog in mud.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I had no idea how much I missed the yell of 'RAGE ON, GUNPLA!' until I heard it again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

I had no idea how much I missed the yell of 'RAGE ON, GUNPLA!' until I heard it again.

Go watch G-Reco where his actor is hamming it to death every episode.

Ka0 posted:

Well you wouldn't be able to sell as many toys with the "Losing Road" concept.

I'm buying gunpla like a hog in mud.

Speaking of which, what the hell was the point of Sekai punching into the Core Fighter. It didn't actually seem to do anything.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Maybe punching Core Fighters is just how he gets hyped up for battle.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Yes it did, it gave a reason for the winning gundam to be there :v:

What was the president's previous gunpla? It looked like a geara zulu.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The big reveal of the BBG's gimmick pretty much killed any hope of a fight as brutal as the Fenice vs the SBS. Hell it pretty much tanked any chance of the SBS ever taking any interesting/serious damage despite the Nationals using Rank A Damage.

The burning can take damage fine, this was only a case when he activated the burning mode and its not like sekai took proportional damage to what the gunpla suffered, since he still had his arm at the end of it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Speaking of which, what the hell was the point of Sekai punching into the Core Fighter. It didn't actually seem to do anything.

It gave him a big chunk of armor to smash with instead of a small fist, in particular one with a focused tip that could channel the best kinetic impact.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The burning can take damage fine, this was only a case when he activated the burning mode and its not like sekai took proportional damage to what the gunpla suffered, since he still had his arm at the end of it

The issue is that any fight that's going to actually challenge Sekai is almost guaranteed to make him use Burning Mode though..

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One thing I did like this episode was that training with Gyanko and Shimon gave Sekai a shield based around boxing. I wish we could have seen the training at least but mostly because I want more of those guys.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

poo poo, it's the same dude? I can't believe I didn't notice.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I have now seen a Gundam go all :ssj: Super Saiyan :ssj: and I laughed my rear end off when it happened. :v:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Zedd posted:

I have now seen a Gundam go all :ssj: Super Saiyan :ssj: and I laughed my rear end off when it happened. :v:

Haven't watched much G, then?

I did like this fight even if some parts of it were flawed, because things are actually getting a bit more clever. Yuuma's acting more like a teammate and drat the gently caress YOU I AIN'T DEAD YET fakeout was great, I was grinning like a goddamn idiot when G-FIGHTER VICTORY happened, and characters were... well, simply interacting better. Really liked Fumina at least taking the initiative to talk with Gyanko.

Good ep, let's see more like it when they get to the finals.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I had been feeling kinda lukewarm on the Team Try Fighters' battles, but this episode put my worries at ease. Can't wait to see what kind of weirdos we'll meet at the nationals.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You kidding? It makes it even more likely. Shonen heroes getting gruesomely wrecked by their own dangerous forbidden superpowers to pull off a win is standard for the genre. Just look at the poo poo Luffy, Naruto, and Ichigo got thrown at them. The BBG is totally going to get shredded in a Damage Level A match, putting Sekai in a coma that he dramatically wakes up for just in time to keep his team from being disqualified from the next match. Might even result in an interesting fight scene, as Fumina and Yuuma have to cover for their barely conscious and almost useless teammate rather than leaning on the Burning's superb abilities.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, I'm a fighter now! was corny as heck but it's exactly the kind of hammy seriousness that made last season great.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

If this is signs of improvement that is good. It was a fun episode (especially Tatsuya hamming it up in his Meijin outfit). Hopefully things keep improving and this wasn't just a peak.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anyone else notice Mantisman and his girlfriend at the back of the audience? :allears:

Yup! I thought that was really cute.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yup! I thought that was really cute.

Oh my god so that's what that little heart in the background was. :allears:

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
I would have killed for someone to go that Gunpla... It's burning red..! And I'd also have liked Fumina to do more than sacrifice herself. Maybe SD Gundam stands for "Self-Destruct Gundam" instead of "Super-Deformed Gundam" in the Build Fighters universe. :v:

But other than that this was a pretty loving good episode. It seems like Sekai got cut when not!Sleggar's missile-fang things hit the Build Burning after it activated its super mode, so I guess it's reflected damage as opposed to getting nicked by a shard of plastic, which is sort of a shame, but I'd be lying if I said the fight didn't get me pumped as hell.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ImpAtom posted:

The fact that it is considered 'throwing away your pride' to use someone else's Gunpla really makes me hope they'll address Sekai is doing the same next episode.

Except it doesn't really apply in Sekai's case; Sudou's comment was that he threw away his pride as a builder. He has the skills to build models, but he chose to just take the easy route and have Sakai make a better quality model than he could build himself, rather than trying to better himself and improve his own building skills.

Overall, I enjoyed the episode. Looking forward to next week's goofy fanservice episode, which should be a nice breath of fresh air after this tournament arc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Except it doesn't really apply in Sekai's case; Sudou's comment was that he threw away his pride as a builder. He has the skills to build models, but he chose to just take the easy route and have Sakai make a better quality model than he could build himself, rather than trying to better himself and improve his own building skills.

Overall, I enjoyed the episode. Looking forward to next week's goofy fanservice episode, which should be a nice breath of fresh air after this tournament arc.

Except he also talked about how part of Gunpla Battle was building your own Gunpla too. It's really something they keep focusing on so I hope they acknowledge it at some point.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ImpAtom posted:

his hand was ripped off with the winning road fist. it's not really shown but for 3 frames or so, but he jams his arm into the corefighter to get a new right fist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Condiv posted:

his hand was ripped off with the winning road fist. it's not really shown but for 3 frames or so, but he jams his arm into the corefighter to get a new right fist.

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't notice that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
poo poo no wonder Sei hid the Build burning away, he unlocked the secret to making Plavsky Particles affect people. Thought this is a great reason to not use your super mode, when you can get yourself chumped by taking too much damage to your own body. Some actually Decent Teamwork this episode too what with the Scouting ahead, the sacrifices, the quick saves, and the ad hoc combination ("poo poo I don't have a fist. I need a new fist" "gently caress it just use my core fighter as a fist!"). Some great character moments for basically everyone. Side cast as always was fantastic, Sakai and Gyanko being the strongest of course. The drink joke got me really bad. I actually cared/liked the enemy team and knew their names and personalities which is a big step in the right direction for the show. Glad to see the Meijin is still a hilariously serious ham.

Akira is cool and I hope he and Yomi show back up later. Also, Model Club President and Eri in the background was a cute touch.

Overall 9/10, easily the strongest episode of the show so far, and while not as good as the Yuuki or Fellini fights this was easily better than a lot of the season one stuff.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 3, 2014

• Locked thread