Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
There's not really much you need to do since FF6's already probably the easiest game in the series. Blitzes and Tools will dominate the early game, spam Cyan's first Bushido when you use him, exploit Gau's better rages like Catscratch, and use Espers when you get them. Once you get through the Magitek Facility and have access to Vanish and Doom, you're set by simply casting Vanish on an enemy and then casting Doom on it, which works on pretty much every enemy and boss in the game. And once that gets boring, you'll be in the second half of the game where you can do stuff like Atma Weapon/Valiant Knife/Offering or Fixed Dice/Offering or 5x Ultima with Quick and Gem Box or Gau's rage that inflicts Charm (a more potent confuse that always works) or any of the other numerous broken combinations.

But yeah, Gau is very useful in dominating the early game. There's probably a list around somewhere of his most broken rages and the earliest you can get them. Focusing on getting just those will save Veldt grinding time. And even if you don't bother with that, he starts with Templer, which casts Fire2, so that'll be handy for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Which version of Chrono Trigger is better or the differences between the Snes and Ps1 versions?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Which version of Chrono Trigger is better or the differences between the Snes and Ps1 versions?
Don't play the PS1 version. I don't know what else is different about it, but the load time killed it for me.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Mega64 posted:

Once you get through the Magitek Facility and have access to Vanish and Doom, you're set by simply casting Vanish on an enemy and then casting Doom on it, which works on pretty much every enemy and boss in the game.

Be aware, this was "fixed" in the GBA and iOS/Android versions, IIRC.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Facepalm Ranger posted:

PS1 is definitely the worst available version.

(Admittedly the iOS version has a UI that's painful to look at but I bet it doesn't have obnoxious load times!)

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Facepalm Ranger posted:

The DS version is the best.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Load times in what sense? Between battles or screens?

I read it's got Toriyama animation though....:confused:

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Battles, screens, menus, everything. Just like the PSX versions of Snes FF games. The Toriyama cutscenes are pretty cool though, but you can just watch them on Youtube or something.

(Android version is the same as iOS, except it doesn't work on 5.0.)

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Facepalm Ranger posted:

In every sense. Battles, areas, cutscenes, even menus. Don't play the PS1 version. (efb)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The cutscenes are also in the DS version and you don't have to suffer through the terrible loadtimes.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

I was thinking of playing it via psp. If the game is running from a memory card that should make the loading times quicker...right? I don't have access to purchase the DS version for two months.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't know how many ways we can say not to play the PS1 version.

There's only like two toriyama cutscenes. You can just look them up on youtube.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I was thinking of playing it via psp. If the game is running from a memory card that should make the loading times quicker...right? I don't have access to purchase the DS version for two months.

Why even ask us for recommendations if you're just going to keep saying "But I want to play the worst one...."?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Facepalm Ranger posted:

It might get a little annoying, but it will be fine.

The lag is because the PS1 game is emulating the SNES rom on disc, not because the PS1 has slow read times (Which would be fixed by an emulator), but because they coded it so poorly.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Facepalm Ranger posted:

According to the PSP thread that version of Chrono Trigger is also sluggish. I don't know if that's just a property from being the ps1 version or if it's a terrible port on top of that.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

"Well that's it then guys, I'm playing the PS1 version Thanks!"

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Whizbang posted:

Why even ask us for recommendations if you're just going to keep saying "But I want to play the worst one...."?

Blackheart posted:

"Well that's it then guys, I'm playing the PS1 version Thanks!"

You're right, wanting to buy a legit copy via PSP on the psn and finding out exactly how much of a compromise it is compared to the original (which I would get via a rom/emulator) and asking two questions; "how bad are the load times" and "are the animations worth it" is me purposely ignoring advice, confirming which version I'll play instead of weighing up pros and cons with as much information I can get from people with first hand experience .

I should have made my original post a bit more comprehensive ie "thinking of buying via psn or downloading a rom" but, you guys don't have to have such knee-jerk reactions to two questions. :doh:

Also so what if I play the playstation version? Just because you ask for recommendations doesn't mean you have to choose what's recommended to you, a recommendation can be a preference of opinions and facts. :colbert:

Harlock posted:

It might get a little annoying, but it will be fine.

The lag is because the PS1 game is emulating the SNES rom on disc, not because the PS1 has slow read times (Which would be fixed by an emulator), but because they coded it so poorly.

This is interesting and a good response instead of "I'm going to put words into a posters mouth" and opens up a conversation we can have on these Internet forums such as "how is it possible to gently caress up ports so badly".

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 3, 2014

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Have you considered the Playstation port? it has cutscenes...

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Facepalm Ranger posted:

You're right, wanting to buy a legit copy via PSP on the psn and finding out exactly how much of a compromise it is compared to the original (which I would get via a rom/emulator) and asking two questions; "how bad are the load times" and "are the animations worth it" is me purposely ignoring advice, confirming which version I'll play instead of weighing up pros and cons with as much information I can get from people with first hand experience .

I should have made my original post a bit more comprehensive ie "thinking of buying via psn or downloading a rom" but, you guys don't have to have such knee-jerk reactions to two questions. :doh:

This is interesting and a good response instead of "I'm going to put words into a posters mouth" and opens up a conversation we can have on these Internet forums such as "how is it possible to gently caress up ports so badly".

Guess I'll play the Snes version via an emulator then, thanks peer pressure! :cheeky:

asking people a question, having them answer it, asking them to explain their answers, then berating them, then taking their advice....is not peer pressure.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

DS version is by far the best. It uses the dual screens so the UI is entirely on the lower screen and you get to really enjoy the sprite artwork on the top screen. Its also got all of the playstation's Toriyama cutscenes in it, and the load times are very fast because its modern technology.

The only version to play other than the DS version would be the SNES version to go old-school on an SNES or to go cheapskate on an emulator.

Do not play the playstation version :doh:

Facepalm Ranger posted:

The DS version has the animations too. Only the original SNES release does not.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

In theory, but there's other potential bottlenecks you can hit which would still make it run slow.

Endorph posted:

I don't know how many ways we can say not to play the PS1 version.

There's only like two toriyama cutscenes. You can just look them up on youtube.

This is also a good point. Just youtube the videos and then play the SNES version. Since they were added after-the-fact anyways they're not exactly integral. (And the opening cinematic kinda spoils the entire adventure what the hell)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

"Don't touch the fire, the fire is hot and it will hurt like a bitch"

"I thought about what you said but I'm gonna touch the fire anyways"

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Let's try get this back on track, thank you for your info on the three different versions. I remember always wanting to play Chrono Trigger based off the box art, long before knowing about dragon Ball etc.

Then as I got older, people who had played it, talked about it, the fact your party is made up of characters from different time periods and it's different endings, so it began to really appeal to me, considering I had just finished FFVII, my RPG slot was free.

Since I could play it via rom or buy from psn where I am currently, those are my options, I would prefer to pay for it and see the cut scenes being a fan of Toriyama but, if the psone version is as terrible as everyone says (or not great but not terrible as a minority have said) I'll go for a rom I guess.

I apologise if my asking for more info riled you up but I imagine were all over 20 here so let's not be jerks to each other? We're all here to talk about video games as adults and just being dick heads to each other just makes us look worse :eng101:. So come on let's all be friends and complain about stupid games that don't matter.

Zaphod42 posted:

DS version is by far the best. It uses the dual screens so the UI is entirely on the lower screen and you get to really enjoy the sprite artwork on the top screen. Its also got all of the playstation's Toriyama cutscenes in it, and the load times are very fast because its modern technology.

The only version to play other than the DS version would be the SNES version to go old-school on an SNES or to go cheapskate on an emulator.

Do not play the playstation version :doh:

The DS version has the animations too. Only the original SNES release does not.

In theory, but there's other potential bottlenecks you can hit which would still make it run slow.

This is also a good point. Just youtube the videos and then play the SNES version. Since they were added after-the-fact anyways they're not exactly integral. (And the opening cinematic kinda spoils the entire adventure what the hell)

This a really good argument for the DS version, I might wait till I'm back in the UK and get that one....

Srice posted:

"Don't touch the fire, the fire is hot and it will hurt like a bitch"

"I thought about what you said but I'm gonna touch the fire anyways"

Fire isn't exactly video games now is it though. Now if it was firaga....:cheeky:

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 3, 2014

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Since I could play it via rom or buy from psn where I am currently, those are my options, I would prefer to pay for it and see the cut scenes being a fan of Toriyama but, if the psone version is as terrible as everyone says (or not great but not terrible as a minority have said) I'll go for a rom I guess.

I apologise if my asking for more info riled you up but I imagine were all over 20 here so let's not be jerks to each other? We're all here to talk about video games as adults and just being dick heads to each other just makes us look worse :eng101:. So come on let's all be friends and complain about stupid games that don't matter.

This a really good argument for the DS version, I might wait till I'm back in the UK and get that one....

just play Chrono Cross instead....jk

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Let's try get this back on track, thank you for your info on the three different versions. I remember always wanting to play Chrono Trigger based off the box art, long before knowing about dragon Ball etc.

Then as I got older, people who had played it, talked about it, the fact your party is made up of characters from different time periods and it's different endings, so it began to really appeal to me, considering I had just finished FFVII, my RPG slot was free.

Fire isn't exactly video games now is it though. Now if it was firaga....:cheeky:

You should definitely play Chrono Cross instead. Works great on the PSX.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
Chrono Cross is a legit good game and did all the interesting parts of Bioshock Infinite first and better. :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chrono cross also didnt ask you if the slaves were the real monsters

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
chrono cross was a good game and if it didnt have chrono in the title it would be treated better.

it is to chrono trigger what secret of evermore is to secret of mana

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TommyGun85 posted:

just play Chrono Cross instead....jk

:can:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Endorph posted:

It did! On the ghost pirate ship!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

code:
---Harlock------------------------------------------------------------
| Yes, definitely play Chrono Cross if you know what's good for you. |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---Zappa---------------------------------------------------------------
| Och aye, definitely play Chrono Cross if ye ken what's guid fur ye. |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

---Fargo--------------------------------------------------------------------
| Yarr, definitely play Chrono Cross if ye be knowin' what's jolly fer ye. |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

TommyGun85 posted:

it is to chrono trigger what secret of evermore is to secret of mana

uh, no its not. Chrono Cross is a sequel to Chrono Trigger. Secret of Evermore and Secret of Mana are completely unrelated in every way except they both have "secret of" in their name.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

uh, no its not. Chrono Cross is a sequel to Chrono Trigger. Secret of Evermore and Secret of Mana are completely unrelated in every way except they both have "secret of" in their name.

uhhh, I meant in the way people were disappointed in it for thinking it would be a sequel instead of loosely using the same mechanics or story even though they are still great games in their own right.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

TommyGun85 posted:

uhhh, I meant in the way people were disappointed in it for thinking it would be a sequel instead of loosely using the same mechanics or story even though they are still great games in their own right.

Dude the entire plot of Cross is a convoluted way of answering "what happened to Schala?"

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

mycot posted:

Dude the entire plot of Cross is a convoluted way of answering "what happened to Schala?"

yes but up until literally the last 10% of the game it has nothing to do with the original.

im just saying both games were great and unfairly judged based on people expecting them to be like their predecessors or namesakes.

if chrono cross was titled different, I think it would have been received much better.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

TommyGun85 posted:

I played Chrono Cross first and I think that is certainly part of the reason I love it so much. Its an amazing game. Yeah the dialog generator is stupid and the plot is crammed down your throat at the last second, but the scenery and music is gorgeous and the gameplay is fun and certainly innovative in the genre. The large cast of characters provides a way for players to build whatever random "Dream-Team" they want to make their party out of. The dungeons are creative, and the (minorly) branching plotline and multiple endings give it some real replay value. Its certainly not the best JRPG, and I can't find fault with someone who can't get past some of the pants-on-head retarded plot points, but for me, Its a game I always return to every few years with a smile on my face.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I dare anyone to name another game where a reanimated scarecrow, an alien and a fungusman-thing can beat the crap out of a cyborg or a child in clown makeup.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Chrono Cross is the best PS1 JRPG, unironically

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

You could always buy the PSN version and then play a ROM anyway if you feel like supporting the game. It's just that people aren't exaggerating about the load times. They are much, much longer than any of the SNES ports, and having to wait five seconds for a menu or battle to load that's instantaneous on the SNES/DS versions isn't worth putting up with an inferior port. But it may not be that big a deal for you, so do what you want, no biggie.

Endorph posted:

The real monsters are the protagonists because of all the horrible things they did to force those poor dwarves into invading and killing all those innocent fairies.

That game is all kinds of hosed up.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

forbidden lesbian posted:

Chrono Cross is the best PS1 JRPG, unironically

This is not true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
If I've never played 13 and have no plans to, is it worth getting 13-2? It can be had for 13 bucks off of GMG, but if I'm gonna be spending most of the time scratching my head as to what's going on, eh.