Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Straker posted:

Jesus gently caress leapforce is the bomb, I wish I'd applied years ago.

Are there any additional details you're allowed to share? How long did it take you to get approved and start working? What kind of tasks are they assigning, and is there enough to do 15+ hours per week at that $13.50 figure? I am in a pretty nasty bind, and I could sure as hell use a couple hundred bucks per week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
Don't get your hopes up if you need cash now. They pay once a month so after paperwork and all that stuff you'll probably get paid two months from now.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Hey I just wanted to thank this thread as a ~goon success story~. I started writing SEO content because of you guys with Zerys and Writers Access about a year and a half ago in order to make beer money, and I recently accepted my first office job out of college doing this.

Compared to freelancing, this job is a breeze - I have someone else to handle my clients for me! Someone else on my team edits my work!

That doesn't mean that I'm done freelancing though. There's always more money out there to be made. And I'm interested in making the transition into actually writing copy in an industry.

Thanks, thread!

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

"HEADS! I eat a big ham sandwiche! TAILS! I work out!"
HamPants, HamPants the movie, 2009

Slightly Used Cake posted:

I'd also wonder what they want for a turnaround time as well, I mean, a file that big, even assuming it's perfect, you're going to get kinda squirrely.

It's this situation where I technically have as much time as I want, as long as I claim it as 2014 income, as it's coming out of their 2014 budget. Frankly, I don't know if it's kosher.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

How often does DT make errors in their invoicing and check writing department? I got my last check today and it is a little short. I emailed them about it, I am just wondering if it was an error or if I need to get into a fight over a small amount :sigh:

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

darkwolf220 posted:

How often does DT make errors in their invoicing and check writing department? I got my last check today and it is a little short. I emailed them about it, I am just wondering if it was an error or if I need to get into a fight over a small amount :sigh:

The girl who goes over the invoices usually gets in touch if they see an error on your end to let you know. I've never had trouble getting things corrected. It's just she's only in the office a couple of days a week to sort out payroll.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I'm transcribing an interview for this new reality show. I'm not sure it's aired yet. The first Google result for it is a petition with almost 50,000 signatures demanding they shut it down.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

AuntBuck posted:

I'm transcribing an interview for this new reality show. I'm not sure it's aired yet. The first Google result for it is a petition with almost 50,000 signatures demanding they shut it down.

I cannot actually watch these things, but based purely on this, I want top know what that is and watch the hell out of it... so that's how it works.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Bad reality TV? Sounds like a job for me!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

AuntBuck posted:

I was able to find out which show you meant, because I've worked on it too. I'm not all that surprised. Apparently the person who is making it, I've worked on their previous show too, which seemed...more generic, just as trashy. Whatever pays the bills!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Sounds neat. I'm captioning a reality show wherein parents borderline abusing their kids via vicarious living and it's being played straight, myself. You know a show is good when there's a kid crying within a minute and the parent rubs their nose in it to teach them a lesson before the first commercial break.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

I was able to find out which show you meant, because I've worked on it too. I'm not all that surprised. Apparently the person who is making it, I've worked on their previous show too, which seemed...more generic, just as trashy. Whatever pays the bills!

Yeah, I've worked on some of their other stuff and it is trashy and boring. Though if it does get canceled it means less transcription work for us so...

Slightly Used Cake posted:

I cannot actually watch these things, but based purely on this, I want top know what that is and watch the hell out of it... so that's how it works.

It would be entirely indecent to encourage you to do that. This isn't "so bad it's good" reality TV, it's the same tired formula of "let's watch early 20-somethings gently caress and fight." They've just managed to piss off a group of people with some money.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Shima Honnou posted:

Sounds neat. I'm captioning a reality show wherein parents borderline abusing their kids via vicarious living and it's being played straight, myself. You know a show is good when there's a kid crying within a minute and the parent rubs their nose in it to teach them a lesson before the first commercial break.

Now that's a show I'd like to watch.

drat I suck at posting today.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Does anyone sometimes get a normal interview file where there is random a dude talking over everything? It's like either the producer is talking directly into the mic with his random loving musings, which are only sometimes related to the shot in question, or somehow a completely separate audio track got mixed in. I've had it a few times now, including this terrible file I'm trying to finish up.

Edit: I swear to god, this mother fucker is just like, chatting with his buddy on the phone in this file, drowning out the interviewee. What the gently caress?

Shima Honnou posted:

gently caress stage parents forever.

AuntBuck posted:

It would be entirely indecent to encourage you to do that. This isn't "so bad it's good" reality TV, it's the same tired formula of "let's watch early 20-somethings gently caress and fight." They've just managed to piss off a group of people with some money.

I didn't know much about reality tv before starting this job, mostly just whatever seeps into pop culture. Based on this limited knowledge, it seems to me like everyone is trying to create another Jersey Shore, just in another location.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 6, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

counterfeitsaint posted:

gently caress stage parents forever.

Also sports parents!

In the case of your mixed file, you've got three options. Tell whoever gave it to you and ask what the gently caress, labor intensively over it and then want to die when you're finished, or be a complete dick and either [NON-INTERVIEW] or treat the random dude as what you're supposed to be getting and then ignore the poo poo in the background.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I didn't know much about reality tv before starting this job, mostly just whatever seeps into pop culture. Based on this limited knowledge, it seems to me like everyone is trying to create another Jersey Shore, just in another location.

It is literally this. Just an hour ago I was talking about World of Warcraft in another thread and how for a while every MMO was trying to be WoW; Jersey Shore and a couple of other things are WoW for garbage-tier reality TV.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

Exactly. It's so disappointing to watch a producer feed someone cheesy lines when you know if they'd just shut up and let the person talk we'd get an interesting story. People are interesting. I really loved the first season or two of The Real World before MTV had the formula nailed down. The companies producing these aren't willing to take any risks.

:ninja:

ohnobugs fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 6, 2014

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

AuntBuck posted:

Now that's a show I'd like to watch.

drat I suck at posting today.

Careful what you wish for...

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Careful what you wish for...

Do it, JKL :black101:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There has got to be something wrong with this file. They actually cut the tape, but chatty mcchatterson didn't miss a beat, the cut even took place mid-word for him and he kept going. He's speaking 75% in a foreign language. He's been talking on the phone the whole time, but that finished, then he told someone all about the phone call he just had, and now he's loudly eating what sounds like potato chips. :sigh: this is what I get for waiting to finish this in the evening, all the DT crew seems to be gone for the night, and the file is due in the morning.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
If he's speaking a foreign language, that's easy then. Slap a big 'ol [SPEAKING (language)] over it and pretend it isn't happening. I don't know what the DT form is for marking a language you don't know is, I've only had to do one that was, like, 50% Spanish before and I can identify that one pretty easily.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Shima Honnou posted:

If he's speaking a foreign language, that's easy then. Slap a big 'ol [SPEAKING (language)] over it and pretend it isn't happening. I don't know what the DT form is for marking a language you don't know is, I've only had to do one that was, like, 50% Spanish before and I can identify that one pretty easily.

He's clearly not the subject of the tape. I'm obviously supposed to be transcribing the person sitting on the couch, being interviewed, who's name is in the file name. The probably is the blabbery poo poo is so loud I can't make out anything else.

Edit: So, apparently when this happens, it's actually a sound technician who forgot to turn his mic off, which is hilarious to me for some reason.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 6, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

counterfeitsaint posted:

He's clearly not the subject of the tape. I'm obviously supposed to be transcribing the person sitting on the couch, being interviewed, who's name is in the file name. The probably is the blabbery poo poo is so loud I can't make out anything else.

Sounds to me like it's not your problem then. If the producers gave a poo poo they would have made sure the footage was workable, they didn't and you can't hear the actual interview in the background so there's nothing you can do with that part of the video.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

AuntBuck posted:

Hmm, it wouldn't happen to be a show where the host gives young men out there tips on how to rape date women through harassment? Ah, TV :allears:

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

darkwolf220 posted:

Hmm, it wouldn't happen to be a show where the host gives young men out there tips on how to rape date women through harassment? Ah, TV :allears:

That sounds like a different and equally horrible show.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

Does anyone sometimes get a normal interview file where there is random a dude talking over everything? It's like either the producer is talking directly into the mic with his random loving musings, which are only sometimes related to the shot in question, or somehow a completely separate audio track got mixed in. I've had it a few times now, including this terrible file I'm trying to finish up.

Edit: I swear to god, this mother fucker is just like, chatting with his buddy on the phone in this file, drowning out the interviewee. What the gently caress?

It happens with a fair whack of the DT files for the reality TV interviews. It's because someone's mic stays on, or the audio guys are recording both at once. Usually the client won't have another file to work with. There's one company that does Gypsy Sisters and a few other ones that's particularly bad for it. Just ignore the extraneous, let the client know, and try to work through it if you can.

Chocolate
Jun 27, 2011
Any reason in particular I didn't get accepted to Leapforce besides wrong answers on the initial questionnaire? Not even the extended one but the one you take initially right after you sign up which is basically ctrl+F Wikipedia. I was almost positive I got every question right and I completed the whole thing in about 10 minutes but I haven't received anything since I did that last week sometime.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Chocolate posted:

Any reason in particular I didn't get accepted to Leapforce besides wrong answers on the initial questionnaire? Not even the extended one but the one you take initially right after you sign up which is basically ctrl+F Wikipedia. I was almost positive I got every question right and I completed the whole thing in about 10 minutes but I haven't received anything since I did that last week sometime.

If you haven't heard anything yet I would just sit tight. Neither Leapforce or Lionbridge are quick to get through these things, or to respond to applicant questions.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I believe I've finally outgrown DT completely now. I'm not putting in any more time with them unless I've got vast tracts of nothing on my horizon, instead I'm chipping the extra time to JKL. Might still go for their rush or overflow work once in a while, maybe, if I don't have anything better before me.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

I believe I've finally outgrown DT completely now. I'm not putting in any more time with them unless I've got vast tracts of nothing on my horizon, instead I'm chipping the extra time to JKL. Might still go for their rush or overflow work once in a while, maybe, if I don't have anything better before me.

I envy you, but I'm waiting to see how captioning survives the early spring slump. My only real client last year was DT and it got so slow I wound up having to pick up bits and pieces from Rev. *shudder*

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
At the end of the day, it's much better pay, less stress/easier to work with files, an easier to work with staff, generally better file quality (At worst it can be a little worse than the worst DT's given me, but for 50 cents extra per minute than DT would pay me), easier to work with format since I don't need to do poo poo with timecodes aside from start/stop and then keeping track of my own progress so I can jump around files as I please. It's also generally been more consistent than DT, both in file length, quality, when I get my assignments, and when I can expect to not have any assignments (Which I usually get notified of instead of left to hang).

When I hit slow times (TBH the past several weeks have been a bit slow, but I've still been earning fairly well compared to slow times at DT), then hey, so be it. During the fast times I'll be earning enough to make up that difference, and when they keep rolling I'll be making quite a bit for myself.

I mean, I can't really complain here, since even at my previous minute rate with JKL, if I got the whole week's worth of work I was earning more than coworkers with 10 years seniority in my last brick and mortar job (Which really says a lot about how hard small businesses gently caress people, which is very, moreso than it does how good I'm getting paid).

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 8, 2014

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Shima Honnou posted:

At the end of the day, it's much better pay, less stress/easier to work with files, an easier to work with staff, generally better file quality (At worst it can be a little worse than the worst DT's given me, but for 50 cents extra per minute than DT would pay me), easier to work with format since I don't need to do poo poo with timecodes aside from start/stop and then keeping track of my own progress so I can jump around files as I please. It's also generally been more consistent than DT, both in file length, quality, when I get my assignments, and when I can expect to not have any assignments (Which I usually get notified of instead of left to hang).

When I hit slow times (TBH the past several weeks have been a bit slow, but I've still been earning fairly well compared to slow times at DT), then hey, so be it. During the fast times I'll be earning enough to make up that difference, and when they keep rolling I'll be making quite a bit for myself.

I mean, I can't really complain here, since even at my previous minute rate with JKL, if I got the whole week's worth of work I was earning more than coworkers with 10 years seniority in my last brick and mortar job (Which really says a lot about how hard small businesses gently caress people, which is very, moreso than it does how good I'm getting paid).

Wait, are you still working with JKL, or have you moved on to something else now? Also, is JKLs stuff as broadcast or just normal interview transcription type stuff?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

counterfeitsaint posted:

Wait, are you still working with JKL, or have you moved on to something else now? Also, is JKLs stuff as broadcast or just normal interview transcription type stuff?

JKL, usually as broadcast (It varies depending on the show what level of finished it is; I've gotten some shows where you can still see all the greenscreens, notes for ADRing or for effects, etc etc; I've seen how some stunts and how stuff like amputation are done using effects, it's really quite fascinating). Very rarely you might get something else; I've gotten a number of interviews that were for some project in the past, some corporate communication stuff, some conferences, etc. But for the vast, vast majority of stuff, it's TV shows or movies as they'll appear on TV. Generally speaking, the quality of the audio is good, except for the non-TV stuff, but that's been fairly rare. You just have to have a high tolerance for possibly very bad TV.

Hell, sometimes I even get scripts, and depending on what the show is and how well it's acted, those scripts might be dead on to the point that you can copy/paste and then edit to ensure it fits standards and that there aren't missing or added words.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Dec 8, 2014

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

Hell, sometimes I even get scripts, and depending on what the show is and how well it's acted, those scripts might be dead on to the point that you can copy/paste and then edit to ensure it fits standards and that there aren't missing or added words.

I definitely encourage this on the condition that it's very carefully proofed after the paste operation. You could be making $0.50 a minute if you're lucky enough to get one that can accomplish a clean copy+paste. However I think most scripts, especially those in PDF format, seem too dense (tables everywhere, stage directions, other IDs) to make it worth your while to perform a copy+paste operation. If that's the case, they're still good for referencing indistinct patches or sometimes proper noun spellings.

SH covered the majority of the type of work I send out pretty well. Mostly locked cuts of broadcast programming from various television networks with a few randos thrown in, e.g., conferences and meetings. Movies too every once in a while.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I definitely encourage this on the condition that it's very carefully proofed after the paste operation. You could be making $0.50 a minute if you're lucky enough to get one that can accomplish a clean copy+paste. However I think most scripts, especially those in PDF format, seem too dense (tables everywhere, stage directions, other IDs) to make it worth your while to perform a copy+paste operation. If that's the case, they're still good for referencing indistinct patches or sometimes proper noun spellings.

Definitely. I've found that one show you've given me a couple times, and cartoons/kids shows are the ones that are close enough to dead-on to straight copy and edit. Otherwise, I just keep both the script and ESscribe open and copy the script by hand, changing on the fly as needed when the actors say their lines differently.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 9, 2014

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Pros of expensive awesome headphones: You can hear everything!

Cons of expensive awesome headphone: You can hear everything...especially this baby being sick, in HD surround sound, bleh.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
:lol: DT. I haven't had any minutes on their schedule in a week and who comes around and assigns me some files anyway? Yep. And it's my favorite format, "Get the frames, get every single utterance"! At least it's not Ink Master this time.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 9, 2014

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

"HEADS! I eat a big ham sandwiche! TAILS! I work out!"
HamPants, HamPants the movie, 2009
You know those shows that have over-the-radio correspondence, or walkie-talkies, or things like that? Have you ever noticed that the pre-done subtitles are always things that you can hear perfectly well, rather than the moments where it sounds like they're saying "burfle Calvin merpler," no matter how many times you hear it? :argh:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Ham Pants posted:

You know those shows that have over-the-radio correspondence, or walkie-talkies, or things like that? Have you ever noticed that the pre-done subtitles are always things that you can hear perfectly well, rather than the moments where it sounds like they're saying "burfle Calvin merpler," no matter how many times you hear it? :argh:

I've only done a couple of shows with radios, thankfully, and if nobody in the show acknowledges it at all I just assume it's a stock thing to tell people "Hey, these are police or whatever" and not relevant for grabbing.

What burns me is how so many shows have captioning burned in, but they either did it loving wrong and I can hear that they did it wrong, or they caption poo poo that's perfectly audible and then skip the loving indistinct whispering that comes right after it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocolate
Jun 27, 2011
I've read through the OP and I have a pretty good feel for what is out their but still have one question. I'm thinking about quitting my job (I live at home and quitting won't turn into me being homeless), if I don't want to do transcription 40 hours per week could I still make around $20,000 (working around 30 a week) a year with doing some sort of combination of liveops,odesk,leapsmart and lionbridge. I'm not entirely opposed to transcription but doing search evaluation seems more up my alley. Basically it seems a lot of people who use a site like leapsmart don't rely on it for their only source of income. It seems the people who are independent are doing transcription and using something like leapsmart to supplement what they make. So are any goons making a living off of search evaluation positions?

Edit: To add on to this, I can ride the ups and downs of what work is available but as long as around $20,000 a year is a realistic number for 75% search evaluation and 25% of transcription, working 30 hours a week.

Chocolate fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 10, 2014