Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

That's weird. They didn't protect for 16:9 while filming Season 4 & 5. So it's going to be crop city instead of just opening up the sides like they can do with Season 1-3.

There was a great David Simon write-up posted in the The Wire thread that talks about this pretty in-depth: http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-in-hd/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Zat posted:

There was a great David Simon write-up posted in the The Wire thread that talks about this pretty in-depth: http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-in-hd/

That was a great write-up. I'm honestly torn between tracking down the 4:3 or watching the HD and knowing odd shots were just not fixable.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Zat posted:

The fact that he only used season 1 & 2 in the examples has me worried. The zoom in the one shot in front of the chicken place isn't bad but I wonder how it's going to look in later seasons when they have to do a whole lot more magic to make it work in the 16:9 aspect ratio. Especially how the quality holds up when comparing a standard shot to a zoomed in one.

They did the same thing for That 70's Show when they re-edited it in HD and it's pretty jarring.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
This sucks because I really like how The Wire used the 4:3 format, it was very street-photography and the 16:9 detracts from that.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I don't understand why they don't go with bars and maintain the original aspect ratio, but have it in HD for the later seasons. Maybe I'm being snobbish or naive, but are there really that many Wire fans who don't understand composition and why it's better to have bars sometimes? At least give the viewers the choice of which to watch.

A short disclaimer could easily explain this stuff.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

The blu-rays should definitely have an option to watch with the original composition (or make them a separate box set, whatever). They'd be stupid not to release the 4:3 stuff on blu-ray because there must be a lot of Wire fans who would refuse to buy anything but the real thing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
ME WANT COP SHOW FILL SCREEN

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Zat posted:

The blu-rays should definitely have an option to watch with the original composition (or make them a separate box set, whatever). They'd be stupid not to release the 4:3 stuff on blu-ray because there must be a lot of Wire fans who would refuse to buy anything but the real thing.

Yeah, that's why I refused to buy the Friends blu rays. I'm a 90s television 4:3 purist.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

David Simon is enough of a stickler that I'm willing to give it a shot, especially since they're just throwing it up on HBO Go so I don't have to do anything special or pay extra money on top of anything I'm already doing to watch it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I don't understand why they don't go with bars and maintain the original aspect ratio, but have it in HD for the later seasons. Maybe I'm being snobbish or naive, but are there really that many Wire fans who don't understand composition and why it's better to have bars sometimes? At least give the viewers the choice of which to watch.

A short disclaimer could easily explain this stuff.

I know what you're saying, but using the phrase "bars on the screen" helps fuel the misunderstanding about the whole thing.

Edit:

VVVV I always forget that. Has anyone done comparative screenshots to see what we're missing? VVVV

Red fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 3, 2014

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah, that's why I refused to buy the Friends blu rays. I'm a 90s television 4:3 purist.

When Seinfeld finally comes out, they better make it 4:3. I fear the worst though because TBS has been showing cropped HD versions for a few years now.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
If you're inclined to do so, it'd be a fairly simple matter to rip the blu-rays and crop them back to 4:3 yourselves using a program like Avidemux. Nerdy as hell, and boring, but fairly simple.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Criminal Minded posted:

If you're inclined to do so, it'd be a fairly simple matter to rip the blu-rays and crop them back to 4:3 yourselves using a program like Avidemux. Nerdy as hell, and boring, but fairly simple.

That wouldn't work in the situations where they reframe the shot.

From that David Simon article.

DVD (original)

First HD transfer (opened up sides)

Second HD transfer (reframed/zoomed in)

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Criminal Minded posted:

That doesn't work, since the 16:9 transfer is often mostly cropped from the 4:3 image, like so:

If you crop the (blue) 16:9 transfer again to 4:3 you end up with even less of the original image.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Aren't the only existing home video releases of Let It Be cropped down to 4:3 from a 16:9 crop of a 4:3 16mm image?
I feel like I read that somewhere once.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Rusty Staub posted:

Aren't the only existing home video releases of Let It Be cropped down to 4:3 from a 16:9 crop of a 4:3 16mm image?

It was hard matted to about 1.66:1 on the 35mm blowup. The laserdisc cropped it to 1.33:1 except for the credits, which are optically squeezed slightly.

There is a bootleg from a dye transfer print out there.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Rusty Staub posted:

I heard this happened to Sorcerer, actually.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What's that business about The Wire "finding a new audience" with an HD 16x9 transfer? Are there really that many people who would see an episode in HD 4x3 and go "eww get that poo poo off my screen!" in 2014? It seems like a such a silly worry.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Origami Dali posted:

What's that business about The Wire "finding a new audience" with an HD 16x9 transfer? Are there really that many people who would see an episode in HD 4x3 and go "eww get that poo poo off my screen!" in 2014? It seems like a such a silly worry.

It's a fact that all The Wire fans pester their friends to watch The Wire, and making it 16:9 will make it an easier sell

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Origami Dali posted:

The answer is yes. I remember so many people throwing poo poo fits about widescreen DVDs back when everyone still had the old CRT televisions.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

ME WANT COP SHOW FILL SCREEN

Because of this.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 4, 2014

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I worked part time at a video rental store and people complained about the black bars in widescreen movies on their 16:9 TVs in the year of our Lord 2011.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Rusty Staub posted:

I think they did that in reverse to the first Blu Ray of Back to the Future, too.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

penismightier posted:

I think they did that in reverse to the first Blu Ray of Back to the Future, too.

The initial DVDs of the trilogy were misframed for Parts II and III. They probably had 2K scans of the full area on the negative/interpositive, then cropped that to fullscreen and widescreen. Except they probably set it incorrectly to extract the widescreen framing from within the already cropped fullscreen extraction.

The Blu-Rays don't have this problem.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

GhostDog posted:

That doesn't work, since the 16:9 transfer is often mostly cropped from the 4:3 image, like so:

If you crop the (blue) 16:9 transfer again to 4:3 you end up with even less of the original image.

That's a nice comparison. In general they did an alright crop job with Seinfeld, and the little extra data on the sides helped a lot. It makes sense why they would do widescreen for broadcast: The show looks great now and this will help it stay in syndication for many more years while everything else switched to widescreen HD.

Unfortunately there's still quite a few scenes where people's heads get chopped off and it's pretty noticeable.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

wa27 posted:

That's a nice comparison. In general they did an alright crop job with Seinfeld, and the little extra data on the sides helped a lot. It makes sense why they would do widescreen for broadcast: The show looks great now and this will help it stay in syndication for many more years while everything else switched to widescreen HD.

Unfortunately there's still quite a few scenes where people's heads get chopped off and it's pretty noticeable.

There's also occasional shots where we can see stuff that we weren't meant to see.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
In the case of Seinfeld I probably wouldn't care too much. It's been a while since I watched it, but I don't remember it being a show where that matters a lot. With The Wire it's different.

What I don't understand is: I assume they have to scan the whole source anyway, so it seems like doing the 4:3 transfer parallel to the 16:9 transfer isn't that much additional work. Why not just do that, put out a deluxe addition with both transfers, make money? Unless they first frame the new transfer and only then do all the picture cleanup on that newly framed source??

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've always gotten stuck on S2 of The Wire, despite about 4 attempts to watch it. Not the shows fault, just real life getting in the way. I loved S1 and didn't really have the desire to go through it again before finally pushing on with the show, but I think the remaster and me having HBO Go has changed my mind when I find the time.

Also the fact that Simon has gone from "I only ever want this show in 4x3 SD" to "I'll admit that the new version at least has a right to exist" is a pretty big swing in attitude, and it's enough for me. I would've liked 4x3 HD the most but bleh... even the smart companies never seem to learn.

(I think Friends looks absolutely fantastic in it's open matted 16x9 remasters mind, but I hope that Seinfeld gets the 4x3 treatment due to the reasons above. It feels like the 90s again and losing our grip on getting accurate transfers due to what the unwashed masses want. Which shouldn't really affect a show like The Wire anyway, but I digress...)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've always gotten stuck on S2 of The Wire, despite about 4 attempts to watch it. Not the shows fault, just real life getting in the way. I loved S1 and didn't really have the desire to go through it again before finally pushing on with the show, but I think the remaster and me having HBO Go has changed my mind when I find the time.

Honestly as long as you're aware of who The Greek is and what antics happen in prison it wouldn't be that bad to skip S2 and pick it up later (because it's still really good).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

GhostDog posted:

In the case of Seinfeld I probably wouldn't care too much. It's been a while since I watched it, but I don't remember it being a show where that matters a lot. With The Wire it's different.

What I don't understand is: I assume they have to scan the whole source anyway, so it seems like doing the 4:3 transfer parallel to the 16:9 transfer isn't that much additional work. Why not just do that, put out a deluxe addition with both transfers, make money? Unless they first frame the new transfer and only then do all the picture cleanup on that newly framed source??

Because that costs money and the vast majority don't know or care about the difference.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

computer parts posted:

Honestly as long as you're aware of who The Greek is and what antics happen in prison it wouldn't be that bad to skip S2 and pick it up later (because it's still really good).

Don't listen to this heretic. Season 2 is important.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

All the blu-rays on the Drafthouse Films website are ten dollars. I'm not sure how long that's going to last, but I figured it was worth mentioning here.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

CPL593H posted:

All the blu-rays on the Drafthouse Films website are ten dollars. I'm not sure how long that's going to last, but I figured it was worth mentioning here.

Also, don't panic and pay scalper prices for the out-of-stock ones, like Miami Connection. Drafthouse's partnership with Image is over so the first 12 or so BDs have dwindling stock, with some already depleted, but Drafthouse still has the rights to the movies and will be reprinting each one themselves as necessary. For instance, I emailed Drafthouse and they said they expect to have a new printing of Miami Connection available before the end of the year.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Also, don't panic and pay scalper prices for the out-of-stock ones, like Miami Connection. Drafthouse's partnership with Image is over so the first 12 or so BDs have dwindling stock, with some already depleted, but Drafthouse still has the rights to the movies and will be reprinting each one themselves as necessary. For instance, I emailed Drafthouse and they said they expect to have a new printing of Miami Connection available before the end of the year.

I didn't even notice that was sold out.

edit: Apparently they have some outrageous shipping fees on there. I just went to order a blu-ray and that Dragon Sound single and the shipping came to 15 dollars.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 5, 2014

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Yeah it's incredibly obnoxious. I was subscribed to the Drafthouse Alliance at first and it was really a killer price for ten movies. Then shortly after it was time to renew, they started charging shipping fees. Brutal shipping fees. Last time around it was $37.00 for ten total movies.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Brian Fellows posted:

Yeah it's incredibly obnoxious. I was subscribed to the Drafthouse Alliance at first and it was really a killer price for ten movies. Then shortly after it was time to renew, they started charging shipping fees. Brutal shipping fees. Last time around it was $37.00 for ten total movies.

I took off the blu-ray to see what it would cost just for the 7" record and the shipping was 10.25. The record itself costs 7.50. gently caress them.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

For those that haven't bought Breaking Bad yet, the complete series on Blu-Ray (special barrel pack and regular) is the deal of the day on Amazon today. $86 for all 5 seasons, or $120 for the barrel. Not bad. If I didn't already have the individual seasons I'd be picking this up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/Br...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPL593H posted:

I didn't even notice that was sold out.

edit: Apparently they have some outrageous shipping fees on there. I just went to order a blu-ray and that Dragon Sound single and the shipping came to 15 dollars.

Yeah, their shipping is crazy. I almost bought 20,000 Days on Earth from their website because Amazon was saying three weeks to process it and then said "gently caress that" when I saw the shipping costs and just waited a week for Amazon to get it in stock.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

LloydDobler posted:

For those that haven't bought Breaking Bad yet, the complete series on Blu-Ray (special barrel pack and regular) is the deal of the day on Amazon today. $86 for all 5 seasons, or $120 for the barrel. Not bad. If I didn't already have the individual seasons I'd be picking this up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/Br...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Oh man, I totally thought the barrel was forever gone for some reason. Thanks for posting this.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Oh man, I totally thought the barrel was forever gone for some reason. Thanks for posting this.

The barrel is nice but Jesus good luck finding a shelf to fit it. That and the LOST box are the two most pretentious packaging jobs of a complete series I've ever owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

More Twilight Time releases...

March 10th:
The Bounty (1984)
Solomon and Sheba (1959)
The First Men in the Moon (1964)
Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) - 4K remaster
U Turn (1997)

April 14th: