Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Woffle posted:

I'm listening to the Retronauts in question now and they're so fair and diplomatic. Podcasters are just people with opinions on games, guys.

Of course, you would say that. :rolleyes:

But real talk: I'm glad that Retronauts is back. Gives me an excuse to spend some extra time at the gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Vinny's story is a nightmare come to life for me. Once I came home to a house where water was literally pouring out of the ceiling in every room (thankfully I was renting at the time). If that had been poo water, I think I would have just died.

Home ownership makes financial sense, but there is a poo water shaped sword of Damoclese over your head at all times.

Tweek-
Jul 13, 2014

Ulta posted:

So I bought Giant Bomb premium because it was on sale and I was curious about Metal Gear Scanlon, which is turning out to be worth the money. Dan Rikert may be a loving mess in terms of eating habits but drat is he entertaining. Anything else that I should check out now that I have premium?

Podcast hosts out there: please play Dragon Age Inquisition. The moment to moment combat is pretty mediocre, and the ui is meh, but the high level and story stuff is keeping my interest. I want to hear what others think about this.

Gamers With Jobs podcast also discusses the game in ep 424(last week) and ep 425(this week's).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Dan is amazing, he reminds me of a weird mashup of those people with serious drinking problems in college, and that phase my nephew went through where he refused to eat anything but crust-less white bread, hot dogs, and refused to eat any vegetable without being given ranch dressing. At least that phase only lasted a year or two.

Ulta posted:

Vinny's story is a nightmare come to life for me. Once I came home to a house where water was literally pouring out of the ceiling in every room (thankfully I was renting at the time). If that had been poo water, I think I would have just died.

Home ownership makes financial sense, but there is a poo water shaped sword of Damoclese over your head at all times.
Yeah leaks from the ceiling are Bad News. I once rented a place where the water heater had been moved up into the attic to make room for a washer and dryer in the back entry way. One night I was playing Call of Duty in the front room and I heard this musical tap-t-tip-tap-tap sound of something tapping the top of the dryer. The water heater had just blown out, flooding the attic 10" deep. The landlord had to come over and bucket-brigade all of the water out all night, and then he ended up having to get a cutting torch to cut the CAST IRON water heater in half to get it down the steps to the attic. I felt terrible for the guy.

As a current homeowner though, their merrily naive discussion about renting gave me chills. NEVER rent your house out unless you are fully willing and able to tear out all the carpets, repaint all the walls, etc, after every renter. The horrors I've seen - not even counting rental law always always siding on the side of the tenants. My parents recently had some renters start smoking in the premises, have 4 extra people move in permanently (again, against the lease,) and then they simply stopped paying after 2 or 3 months, anyway, while the husband of the little clan lost his job and got shitfaced and screamed abuse at the other tenants in other units for making too much noise.. But due to tenant protection laws, they'd been there 30 days and thus were considered to be an immovable object until the (12 month) lease was expired - despite these dirtbags breaking every clause in the lease contract! My folks literally ended up bribing the people on the advice of a property lawyer, by giving them a full month of rent money AND a free month to stay (again, they hadn't paid rent for a couple months, but my folks gave them a check for close to $1000) and find a place, and then have them sign a contract stating they were moving out on such and such date.

If they'd have changed their mind it would have cost thousands in lawyer fees and court battles and they'd probably still be living there. It took 6 tries by a professional exterminator just to kill off all the fleas.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 3, 2014

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Tenants can be such animals, the lady who sold me the flat I'm currently living in told me about the previous occupants behaviour, things like having to replace all the floorboards in the toilet because they were covered in piss, mouldy old food dug out from behind the back of the kitchen-ware, poo poo stains down the back of the toilet, they must have been goons or some poo poo.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I used to know a :420: dealer who had a small grow (2 large plants) in his attic. He'd disconnected the water lines to the upstairs bathroom to use for irrigation, and didn't bother worrying that it was leaking because utilities were included with his rent. The ceiling in the downstairs bathroom ended up falling through and leaving a 3 or 4 foot hole, to which he simply took a piece of plywood, screwed it over the hole, and then painted it white in hopes of it not being noticed when he moved out. Oh, and he had a deaf, blind, and incontinent dog which pissed and crapped all over the floor nearly every day for the last year of its life, while he was out drinking every night util last call. I felt glad when that poor dog passed away. :smith:

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
vinny's the best glad to hear him again

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I was touring with the agent on my first house and we found loving LSD and acid in the backyard. A year later the police are asking me if I knew the former owners and asking a lot of weird questions. I'm still getting their mail.

Housing can be such a nightmare.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
My grandma (and her mother) had approx. 20 renters over the last 90 years. One of those stopped paying rent and had to be evicted.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I can't believe Chris managed to work Far Cry 2 into this week's Twin Peaks podcast. (About 1:10:10)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dr Suntory posted:

My grandma (and her mother) had approx. 20 renters over the last 90 years. One of those stopped paying rent and had to be evicted.
Yeah it's really just a gamble, but you have to assume that every one will screw you over, otherwise the costs can be really high financially and emotionally. My parents flipped houses a lot while I was growing up, and had multiple properties which they would rent for a couple years before selling them to invest in bigger/better property. I was always used as free labor to help clean up before and after, and have had to tear the drywall out entirely in one place due to a cat spraying on the walls for an extended period, doing LOTS of carpet work, replacing broken windows and doors, patching holes in the walls, etc. I wouldn't say most of their renters were bad, but most of them DID do a surprising amount of inadvertent damage to the properties, and when they were bad, they were truly shocking examples of how depraved humans can behave.

And EVERYONE shows up clean and shaved and sober during interviews, and agrees to follow all the rules in the lease, every time. You just don't find out what they're really like until you need to replace a faucet 6 months later and the entire house looks like a refugee camp inside. The tough part is that those kind of people know that they live in squalor and are ashamed of it, and will go WAY out of their way to ignore+hide any reasons to contact the landlord to come deal with something like a leaky toilet, which ends up causing a ton of decay in the floors and walls after a year or two of being quietly ignored..

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

It's been fun to read multiple people complain about us not playing 80-100 hours' worth of games for a 90-minute episode that's barely about how these games play to begin with.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
You some kinda fake gamer guy??

Related, I really hope Danielle continues to make Yoshi and Toad noises forever. Every time they go into the Nintendo voice sample bits I try to imagine a toad voice with a New England accent and it kills me. A++

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
My current renter is a huge nerd and his wife, I asked him what his hobbies were and he said "video games" and works in IT, and owns a Disneyland annual pass. Score! Those guys are slovenly at worst but not actively destructive and never cause problems beyond "me not know how to fix garage door opener, please help!" texts at 6:00pm on a Thursday. Very minor stuff.

Coyo7e's right, tenants do a lot of inadvertent damage but the trick is to just show up every 3 months and do some minor work around the place and this lets you keep an eye on things and offer pointers/point out problems. I always frame it as "hey man, I really want you to keep your security deposit, so I'm pointing out X Y Z for ya..."

Also NEVER do a 12 month lease. Month to month, 30 day terms, I've had to evict once and was nice to the person but fully told them I would take them to court if they decided to pull any shenanigans because I'm not some faceless property management company that can eat a 5k loss. So they were cool and I only lost half a month's rent, I was cool, I found the courts to be very reasonable. But I didn't gently caress myself with a 12 month lease. Month to month, folks. Month to month, be courteous, interview your tenants, and be involved. Reluctant Landlord Chat ITT.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
No, no way. Dan is some kind of manchild gimmick. He cannot be real. The Bombcast definitely did not derail for 30 minutes because he didn't understand the concept of mortgages.

Also Jesus Christ what's up with the landed gentry posting itt

Tweek-
Jul 13, 2014

Zombies' Downfall posted:

No, no way. Dan is some kind of manchild gimmick. He cannot be real. The Bombcast definitely did not derail for 30 minutes because he didn't understand the concept of mortgages.

Well they are the masters of derailing a conversation :)

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Here's something I can sympathize with Dan about. I'm also a guy in my 30s, and I had no idea how mortgages worked until I was well out of college because

1. US schools don't teach people how finances and credit work, let alone mortgages. If they aren't forced to learn it, what kid is going to look that poo poo up.
2. The only time I did learn it is when I started looking for houses.
3. Houses cost an extraordinary amount of money. No one in real life deals with that amount of money in a concrete way. Common sense doesn't apply.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
edit: I decided I didn't want to say the thing I said. It's weird that people apparently expect the Retronauts to play every game to completion just because there's money involved. It seems to be beside the point, and a weirdly arbitrary standard to hold them to.

Song For The Deaf fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 3, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I didn't learn about mortgages until I was about to discharge from the military, and that was optional thing to take. Especially when you're a free roamer like Dan who's always lived in apartments, there's nothing that actually points you to stuff like mortgages being a common thing in life.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Dan just seems like he doesn't want to deal with real life adult stuff because its too complicated and would rather live a simple life just living in an apartment.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ulta posted:

1. US schools don't teach people how finances and credit work, let alone mortgages. If they aren't forced to learn it, what kid is going to look that poo poo up.

Yeah, I can give him a pass on this sort of thing because unless you look it up or your parents sit you down for different version of The Talk, it's actually pretty common for people to straight up not know how mortgages or loans or insurance works. If you believe you're invincible and never go to the doctor, why the hell would you know what the word 'copay' means?

Really this should be taught in high school, but Home Ec classes have been long derided as a bastion for the lazy and / or turned into glorified cooking classes for some reason.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Song For The Deaf posted:

edit: I decided I didn't want to say the thing I said. It's weird that people apparently expect the Retronauts to play every game to completion just because there's money involved. It seems to be beside the point, and a weirdly arbitrary standard to hold them to.

Actually, it's about ethics in games podcasting.

On the topic of people not knowing poo poo about things pertaining to money (and usually a lot of it), I work for a massive financial firm and more than half of my peers in training had no idea how a progressive tax system is supposed to work (i.e. - they sincerely believed that if you got a raise, it is possible that you could get taxed to where you make less money net). :911:

Phone fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 3, 2014

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've been skipping the ads on the Bombcast for awhile now, but hearing Small Business Man return made me grin like an idiot.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I can give Dan a pass on not understanding mortgages. Even people who take ones out seem to have a poor grasp on how they work.

There's much more of Dan's ignorance to mock. Like, at least they weren't explaining the concept of water to him again.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

bobservo posted:

It's been fun to read multiple people complain about us not playing 80-100 hours' worth of games for a 90-minute episode that's barely about how these games play to begin with.

I think there is valid criticism about Retronauts buried in there. The reason I stopped listening is twofold. Most episodes in season 3 at least seemed to be about topics no one was enthusiastic about. It was hard for me to be interested if you guys didn't seem interested. Doing backer episodes probably didn't help, because people paid you to talk about things you were unfamiliar with/didn't care about. My other reason for quitting was the way big, sweeping topics were burned in a single episode. It seems crazy when you cover 10-15 games and barely touch on them. It's like you're just trying to get those discussions out of the way.

And you know, it's fine. You can't be everything for everyone. I prefer a more zoomed in approach ala Watch Out For Fireballs, but that is its own niche.

Ever Disappointing fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 4, 2014

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.
That's not Bob's fault, it's mine. The things you dislike about the show are my screwups.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I don't mean to blame a particular Retronaut for my disinterest, I think you're all cool people and I enjoy following you on Twitter and reading your articles still.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'll be honest, Retronauts is what got me into podcasting in the first place, but it's a very different show these days and I find myself not really enjoying it. I couldn't necessarily tell you why, though, so I guess that's super not helpful. The less focused format might be part of it, but I realize that the show couldn't stay the same way forever, so what eh huh I don't loving know!

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 4, 2014

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yo I love everything about Retronauts and if you guys want to focus more on larger topics then do it. Maybe some people just aren't aware that all three of you have laid back voices and ways of speaking? Ray always sounds like he is half asleep on No More Whoppers, it's that West Coast style. I always find the discussions interesting and even if it's a topic I am not personally interested in (prog rock music? anything released on a sega platform?) I still enjoy hearing guys talk who are knowledgeable and really have a passion for game history.

By no means am I trying to step in and set anyone straight, but I feel like sometimes the people who genuinely enjoy the content might not say anything because we don't have any complaints. Keep producing interesting content and I'll keep consuming it.

Also if anyone is listening to Retronauts and not following the work that Jeremy is doing with his Gameboy series and Anatomy of Game series then what are you doing, go check that out right this instant.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
When the majority of media consumed by people has a hysterical and confrontational tone, then even-handed agreeableness is seen as boring.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

I enjoyed the latest Retronauts. Sure it lacks a man who thought egg shells made egg whites, but I don't go to Giant bomb for a historical perspective. Retronauts is solid historical info. I've never asked a historical podcast if they ever lived unde a Ceaser.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

kuddles posted:

I can give Dan a pass on not understanding mortgages. Even people who take ones out seem to have a poor grasp on how they work.

There's much more of Dan's ignorance to mock. Like, at least they weren't explaining the concept of water to him again.

The problem with Dan is his unwillingness to believe other people are in different situations than he is. The whole "why would you ever want to buy a house" and "I've always had shared walls who cares" stuff makes it obvious that the dude either doesnt or finds it difficult to see things from other people's perspectives.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

kuddles posted:

at least they weren't explaining the concept of water to him again.

When did this happen?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I assume the guy is exaggerating slightly for comedy reasons. There's just no way he's 100% real on the podcast. He would have died of something by now, otherwise.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

EC posted:

The problem with Dan is his unwillingness to believe other people are in different situations than he is. The whole "why would you ever want to buy a house" and "I've always had shared walls who cares" stuff makes it obvious that the dude either doesnt or finds it difficult to see things from other people's perspectives.
I've been watching the 96 hours of Giant Bomb Extra Life and the Jason/Lisa 24 hours has been pretty enlightening whenever Jason answers questions about Dan. Basically, he's one step removed from an idiot savant, and while he's incredibly obnoxious at times, a lot of it is kayfabe. A lot of Dan is character, but there's certainly enough real Forrest Gump in there that isn't just an act.

Bobulus posted:

I assume the guy is exaggerating slightly for comedy reasons. There's just no way he's 100% real on the podcast. He would have died of something by now, otherwise.
This is probably more ignorant than anything Dan has said outside of his dumb TSA comment. You must not know a lot of people, because while Dan is an outlier, I know off the top of my head six people IRL that live life so absurdly carefree similarly(though perhaps not to the extent) to Dan. Also, consider that another host on the Bombcast is Jeff, someone who has probably dozens of hours of examples of his insane lifestyle. He's funny and smart as hell, but he also has had a pretty weird-rear end life to this point.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

EC posted:

Some people are way, way more sensitive about certain things than others. My parents moved several times when I was a kid because they hated "highway noise", despite being literally a mile from the nearest freeway. Personally I thought they were just being primadonnas about it, the same way some people will make a huge deal out of walking past a person who's smoking - waving their hands in front of their noses, making disgusted faces, and making loud+rude comments etc.

I never personally cared about sharing walls until the time the guy in the apartment next to mine would have hours-long shouting fights with his girlfriend, involving thrown objects breaking and cries of "You're hurting me!!!" at 3am (cops always left after giving the guy "a stern warning"). That was when I decided to rent a house to myself, and later bought one. :smith:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Captain Invictus posted:

This is probably more ignorant than anything Dan has said outside of his dumb TSA comment. You must not know a lot of people, because while Dan is an outlier, I know off the top of my head six people IRL that live life so absurdly carefree similarly(though perhaps not to the extent) to Dan. Also, consider that another host on the Bombcast is Jeff, someone who has probably dozens of hours of examples of his insane lifestyle. He's funny and smart as hell, but he also has had a pretty weird-rear end life to this point.

I have a positively microscopic number of real life friends, and this post made me realize that one of us is very much like this, though nowhere near as folks here are describing Dan. For this friend of mine, I think at least part of his weird out of touch attitude is not having yet exited the "why would anyone ever think or live differently from the way I do" phase that I think a lot of us go through in our late teens. The oddball habits sort of sprout out like strange fruit from years of ingrown habits and thoughts that are just not challenged very much.

Hilariously, he managed to also attract similar roommates in his home for a number of years.

e: I might add that he's also a good dude, just that there's some things that leave me to head scratchin' now and again.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 4, 2014

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Tir McDohl posted:

I don't mean to blame a particular Retronaut for my disinterest, I think you're all cool people and I enjoy following you on Twitter and reading your articles still.

We phased out listener requests for the most part, because these episodes often required a time investment much, much greater than episodes with topics we chose ourselves (at least on my end). To address your other complaint, I've done my share of those podcasts that cover a whole bunch of games from a single series, but that's mostly because some of them only merit a few minutes of discussion.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Everybody jumped on Dan for not knowing what a mortgage is but no one mentioned that he thinks CiCi's pizza is "good"?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Retronauts crew- the Silicon Knights X-Men game you were trying to name is X-Men Destiny. X-Men Legends rules and was made by the people who would go on to make Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, which rules even more and I will not have it wrongly besmirched. Same with Two Worlds, which you mentioned in the same breath as Too Human.

And to reunite the trains of thought in this thread, look up the Giant Bomb video about Too Human when you can. I'm on my phone but you know the one, someone post it for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA7GK-48sR8

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 5, 2014

• Locked thread