Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
We use HEAT, but that's because everybody in the company wants to integrate a whole lot of necessary features in to what should be a simple platform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FISHMANPET posted:

That sounds like a lot of techs for only 120 people. Are the 5 of you in charge of the entire infrastructure or just the end user support? Either way sounds like an awful lot of man power.

Entire infrastructure. End user support is just a sideline distraction.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Good for IT, bad if you want to customize it, really bad if other departments want a piece.

"But my department is special!" and then it all falls to poo poo.

Leaving this as I quoted above leaves it true for almost any scope creep, sadly.

I am still happily expanding our use of Orion to go with service - now in our infrastructure and I witness people constantly trying to break the purpose of the tools to fit their desired customization.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Weird question folks. I need to actively monitor a user for a span of about an hour to see where they are loving up their workflow, which is causing their boss to blame us for problems. I'll be remoting into his system and watching him work to see where he's doing things wrong. What I'm looking for is a piece of software I can use to record that session (aka my screen), so we can cut/snip pieces out to show is boss what he's doing wrong. Any ideas/stupidly obvious solutions I'm not seeing? If it costs money, as long as its not too much, we're willing to put some dollars into this to put a month-long-string-of-bullshit to bed.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Siochain posted:

Weird question folks. I need to actively monitor a user for a span of about an hour to see where they are loving up their workflow, which is causing their boss to blame us for problems. I'll be remoting into his system and watching him work to see where he's doing things wrong. What I'm looking for is a piece of software I can use to record that session (aka my screen), so we can cut/snip pieces out to show is boss what he's doing wrong. Any ideas/stupidly obvious solutions I'm not seeing? If it costs money, as long as its not too much, we're willing to put some dollars into this to put a month-long-string-of-bullshit to bed.

One of the TechSmith products? Camtasia would probably be it. I think they're pretty much the standard for "professional-grade" screen recording. You might even be able to get away with using the trial version, not sure if their license allows that. (Do a quick test of the trial version on your own, to learn the interface, check it doesn't interfere etc., then do a production trial on the user in question, if it works well maybe it can convince your boss to buy a license.)
Alternatively, I think some remoting software is able to do recording, I believe NetOp Remote Control which we use at my place is able to capture the remote session to a video.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lots of the remote support software supports recording the sessions to keep an audit trail. TeamViewer is one of many that can do this.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Try Problem Step Recorder (is that right?). psr.exe. Free and built into windows.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

start psr on their machine and have them replicate the problem

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

start psr on their machine and have them replicate the problem
Keep in mind that the default for psr.exe is only to record the last 25 steps. If there will be more than that (I suspect, based on the original request that this may not be enough), you can have them adjust the settings before they begin the recording.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Do permissions in Exchange work like standard NTFS permissions?

For example, if a user is a member of a group that is granted access to a specific folder, but is also a member of a group that's specifically denied access to a folder, do the latter permissions take precedence and result in the user having permissions denied?

A user requested access to a folder, and that access was ostensibly granted (she was added as a member to a group that has editing privileges over the folder), but she continues to not have access.

I have no control over Exchange administration (nor should I), but my group's kinda blowing in the wind and looking dumb while we tell our Exchange team that it's still not working. I'm just hoping I didn't miss something stupid. The above is just one possibility I was wondering about.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
My experience has been deny supersedes all.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

nexxai posted:

Keep in mind that the default for psr.exe is only to record the last 25 steps. If there will be more than that (I suspect, based on the original request that this may not be enough), you can have them adjust the settings before they begin the recording.

Already thought about PSR, and I don't think it will work. Its basically a video of a guy using our product for an hour to determine what he's doing incorrectly and prove once and for all that its not us, its him. Long story short, a clients employee is flat-out lying, and blaming the lack of data on us. We've already thoroughly investigated any chance it could be us - at this point, its just not. We have call log information and other records that prove that calls he claims to be making are not being made, but his boss insists that both us and our partner voip company are "obviously missing information" - none of his other employees have this issue, none of our thousands of other users active at any point have it, etc. We just need to watch for an hour (and preferably record) to either a) catch where he's screwing up to correct or b) catch where he's lying.

Camtasia may work, and I'll play with GoToAssist's built-in recording (didn't even think to look if it did it, but it does)

Thanks for the ideas all!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

m.hache posted:

My experience has been deny supersedes all.

For NTFS: Direct Deny > Direct Allow > Inherited Deny > Inherited Allow

Folly
May 26, 2010
Ok, I don't usually hang out here, so I'm not sure if this is the right place. But I had to bitch somewhere. I submitted a change ticket to decommission some servers. The ticket process goes through several stages of waiting and confirmation, then removes the servers from the active server list so the hardware can be repurposed. I don't even get an option to close the ticket util the last step is done, and the servers are removed from the active list.

So I babysit this ticket go through all the steps, over the course of about 3 months, and the servers are off the list. I go press the close button and get, basically, "Error: These servers aren't on the active list." Of course not, that was the entire point of the ticket! The process is literally impossible to complete as designed.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Folly posted:

Ok, I don't usually hang out here, so I'm not sure if this is the right place. But I had to bitch somewhere. I submitted a change ticket to decommission some servers. The ticket process goes through several stages of waiting and confirmation, then removes the servers from the active server list so the hardware can be repurposed. I don't even get an option to close the ticket util the last step is done, and the servers are removed from the active list.

So I babysit this ticket go through all the steps, over the course of about 3 months, and the servers are off the list. I go press the close button and get, basically, "Error: These servers aren't on the active list." Of course not, that was the entire point of the ticket! The process is literally impossible to complete as designed.

You should submit a ticket :v:

werewerewolf
Mar 22, 2001

ElGroucho posted:

We use HEAT, but that's because everybody in the company wants to integrate a whole lot of necessary features in to what should be a simple platform

Ask me about how 8 years ago I inherited HEAT admin duties for 90 users, only 10 of whom are actually techs.

Or better yet don't, and instead funnel liquor directly down my throat.

Folly
May 26, 2010

nexxai posted:

You should submit a ticket :v:

No way. I can't open a problem ticket because I won't be able to close it if the problem is already resolved.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Folly posted:

No way. I can't open a problem ticket because I won't be able to close it if the problem is already resolved.

I think he meant to submit a ticket for the problem of being unable to close the ticket.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Oh man, the detachment just embarked on a new ticketing process this week and has pretty much everyone pissed as hell. For one thing, now instead of grabbing a ticket you know you can work and, you know, working it, all Exchange Admins have to wait for a shift lead or team lead (who happens to be in another detachment several hundred miles away) assign a ticket after consulting with our local shift or team lead. This is, of course, to make certain that no critical or high priority tickets get left in the queue (they weren't before anyways, but why let that get in the way of a perfectly good waste of time). There is maybe 1 Exchange-related ticket for every 15 or so Good Mobile or Blackberry tickets, but by decree these will all be divvied up by the lead who is handing them out for that day.

Plus every jackass with a ticket immediately calls our business line wanting a status update, and they get annoyed when we tell them to call the freaking ESD since that's their loving job. When they bitch the admins have been telling people to basically piss off because their ticket is a low priority and will get worked when all the critical, high and medium tickets are done. When the callers get annoyed with that we encourage them to take their frustrations to their immediate superior and have them complain up the line. It's been pretty quiet on that front so far.

I am so happy to be moving to third shift on the weekends now - no team leads to breathe down my neck and micro-manage me. Unfortunately it's only going to be for four months, then I'm back on first shift. Wonder if I might be able to switch to 3rd shift weekdays before then?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

That sounds like a lot of techs for only 120 people. Are the 5 of you in charge of the entire infrastructure or just the end user support? Either way sounds like an awful lot of man power.

I started in a smallish business like that when I used to do network admin. I took care of the network and managed the rest of the team. We had two to handle desktop and phone issues and one more who took care of the servers. There were times when it would get idle, but usually there was enough going on to keep everyone out of trouble.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Looks like Autotask completely re-did their site, and now it's down. Could be a pretty easy (if boring) day at work if it continues to be down...

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

chestnut santabag posted:

I think he meant to submit a ticket for the problem of being unable to close the ticket.
That's the one.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Deputy Mayor comes barging into my coworkers and my shared office, looks around and goes "What the gently caress is going on here?". We've decorated.. heavily for Christmas and have gotten quite a few comments about it, so naturally I answer "It's loving Christmas!" half a second before I notice he didn't mean the decorations and that he's actually somewhat angry. Turns out the network barfed and kicked off 80% of the VDI users and won't let them on again, and Support was too busy handling the calls to tip us off to the fact that something was wrong.

When we got everything up and running again he popped his head in again yelled "IT'S loving CHRISTMAS.. and we're back online.". I like this place.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Here I sit, at 3.45am in our tape restoration room, wondering why I couldn't have been a builder, or a mechanic, or literally any other job that doesn't have me doing this loving dumb gay bullshit.

gently caress the sales reps that tell our clients this poo poo will work.

gently caress the project managers for under resourcing and over estimating the simplicity of the job.

gently caress everyone involved in the design, manufacture and continued implementation of tapes and tape drives.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crowley posted:

Deputy Mayor comes barging into my coworkers and my shared office, looks around and goes "What the gently caress is going on here?". We've decorated.. heavily for Christmas and have gotten quite a few comments about it, so naturally I answer "It's loving Christmas!" half a second before I notice he didn't mean the decorations and that he's actually somewhat angry. Turns out the network barfed and kicked off 80% of the VDI users and won't let them on again, and Support was too busy handling the calls to tip us off to the fact that something was wrong.

When we got everything up and running again he popped his head in again yelled "IT'S loving CHRISTMAS.. and we're back online.". I like this place.

Do you work at Spin City?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Jesus gently caress, I've worked in IT for almost 10 years and already I'm feeling burned out and wondering if it was the right choice in career. Had a call come in a half hour ago from a client, her PC is running super slow and has been sitting on the "Please Wait" screen over an hour. She mentions that she tried logging out yesterday but the PC never logged off, just sat at the "Logging Off" screen until this morning. After prodding for information, she gives me more insight: "I noticed a couple days ago I was getting all these emails with attachments and I opened one, ever since then I've had problems". GOD loving DAMNIT HOW MANY TIMES DO WE NEED TO BEAT IT INTO YOUR THICK NEANDERTHAL SKULL THAT IF YOU DON'T RECOGNIZE A SENDER OR ATTACHMENT, TO FORWARD IT TO US TO LOOK AT AND loving DELETE IT?!!?

On top of that, another client is having fax/scan issues that I just found out about today and it's apparently been an issue "for quite a while" - no specifics on how long it's failed, and there's barely any documentation from my ex-partner about how everything was set up. So I've got to try to reverse engineer everything and figure out what's going on, with people that know gently caress-all about anything computer related trying to tell me a hundred different things about why they *think* it isn't working. Of course, both clients are in the medical field, so everything is SUPER URGENT MUST BE FIXED NOW despite them never notifying us when poo poo actually happens, versus flipping out after waiting a month and expecting a goddamn miracle.

Days like this make me loathe IT work and wish I'd just stuck with doing physical labor work like I did after high school when I worked a couple warehouse/shipping jobs.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Become a stoic and stop giving a gently caress, it's done wonders for me. The user might be in a rush, but they'll have to wait their goddamn turn just like everybody else.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Ozz81 posted:

Jesus gently caress, I've worked in IT for almost 10 years and already I'm feeling burned out
So if you're still answering "help, I have a virus" calls after 10 years in the industry, you should probably do a little work on yourself before you go blaming all of your stress on the people you work with.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

nexxai posted:

So if you're still answering "help, I have a virus" calls after 10 years in the industry, you should probably do a little work on yourself before you go blaming all of your stress on the people you work with.

Yeah pretty much this. I know the job market sucks, but 10 years of experience in any field should get you away from talking to low level clients directly.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

nexxai posted:

Dang, didn't read that part. Might be time to move out of the hell desk, duder

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

An oncall page came in...

...to review a non-critical configuration change.

Turned out to be a newbie who didn't realize that emailing [my team]-oncall@ actually paged the oncall, rather than just being an alias for the current oncall's email address. :shobon:

This is the first job I've had where I've had any sort of support or oncall duties. It takes some getting used to. Still, I'll take "I sent my code review request to the wrong address" over "everything customer-facing is on fire".

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
I guess props on surviving 10 years of helldesk but god drat.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Am I the only one who liked doing helpdesk stuff?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't mind it on occasion, and getting out into the field face to face with people is a nice break sometimes, but I'd much rather spend my days on servers with interesting things than digging out malware.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

FireSight posted:

Most of it is no big deal (although mostly uninteresting), but then there are the users and issues that make you want to take a long drop from a short rope. And when you're on help desk, you have no choice but to deal with those dumbass users and no first line support to insulate you from the worst of the madness.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
For me it's the not the problems that helpdesk deals with, it's dealing with the same users for the same loving problem day in and day out.

Last week I got called while in the shower 2 days in the row for the same user who locked out his account because he forgot his password. He blames our system for the errors.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

FireSight posted:

Yes. Helldesk is where dreams go to die.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
:supaburn: "We've run this lovely security scanner thats produced over 500 results - Should I put all 500 in one ticket or log 500 tickets ?"

:wtc: How about you pay for one of our consultants to do this as its not support ?

:supaburn: I AM A CONSULTANT ! (Luckily not one of ours).

lovely security scanner seemed be checking for things based on feng shui or maybe inspecting chicken entrails - Lots of truly random stuff like remove all read/write permission on all files - including the files we err kind of need to read and write to as thats the whole point of the product. I guess it would be secure as no-one including the users would be able to access it anymore.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'd rather figure out the obscure logical fault that is keeping things from working properly (even if it take several frustrating hours), than deal with the same idiot every week who doesn't know how to use Outlook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I'm basically help desk, but with enough added responsibilities (MDT, managing images, some VMWare) that I really like my job and it's perfect for where I'm at knowledge-wise. I like it. Helps that most of the users here are pretty smart and/or nice.

• Locked thread