Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Metropolis posted:

Except the Key Foreshadowing Artist, that guy's phoning it in.

The what now?

Metropolis posted:

For now I'm going to believe that falling two hundred feet onto solid rock only made Rage-Mack angrier.

The thing is, Mack was unconscious when he fell. When you're unconscious your body goes limp and it's much more likely for you to survive a fall when limp. There have been a couple of people who fell out of airplanes and survived under just those circumstances. By comparison, 100 feet isn't that bad. So it'd be unusual but remotely plausible that someone in real life could survive the fall, much less Raged Out Inhuman Mack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some people are missing the part where Mack is now mini Hulk. He fell, he's not dead. Hydra will find him.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gonz posted:

Is there any particular example that sticks out in your mind, or was your favorite instance of twin shenanigans?

Mostly it's stuff like calling the other one Spare Parts or insisting they're the older one and have to be all responsible and poo poo. Once in elementary school for April Fools Day our classes (they liked to put us in different ones so we weren't ALWAYS stuck together) switched and we decided not to for a double-Fools. Once they had the laugh everyone was getting up to go back to their proper classroom and I just sat there grinning. Now that we live in different parts of the country and have our own lives we have a lot more fun with the twin thing when we visit, growing up it mostly felt annoying.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 3, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

jng2058 posted:

The thing is, Mack was unconscious when he fell. When you're unconscious your body goes limp and it's much more likely for you to survive a fall when limp. There have been a couple of people who fell out of airplanes and survived under just those circumstances. By comparison, 100 feet isn't that bad.

Those people usually had their fall slowed by tree branches and cushioned by deep snow or similar and they quite often got fairly hosed up in the process anyway. If you're falling 100 feet onto solid bedrock then your state of consciousness isn't going to make any difference.
(Obviously the DWARFS came back online and caught him. :ssh:)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Look, 100 feet is only 10d6 damage, the GM must have rolled really low, and the Kree spell obviously gave him damage resistance.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mack is the new Buddy.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Barry Convex posted:

The notion that Marvel Studios proper would let a mere TV series, one with which by all indications they have minimal hands-on creative involvement, be the first to take the Inhumans toys out of the box.

By that, I don't just mean that this show can't introduce Black Bolt, Medusa, etc.; I'm sure that's obvious enough to everyone. What I can't get past right now is the idea that Studios would allow SHIELD to deliver some non-trivial modicum of exposition about (some combination of) Inhuman society, their quasi-cosmic origins, or Terrigenesis - and with the city as the main focus of the final episodes of the year, surely some modicum of exposition about its origins and purpose is necessary. Not before those crucial backstory elements are set up in a film with a much, much bigger budget in which Feige et al. actually have their hands, anyway.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- Agents of Shield is doing another movie tie-in. The next season of Agents will involve an underground city and the introduction of the Inhumans.

Cram that in your pie hole Barry

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Rocksicles posted:

Some people are missing the part where Mack is now mini Hulk. He fell, he's not dead. Hydra will find him.

And then, in an epic scene, Mack will single-handedly defeat a small army worth of HYDRA grunts, with only one thing on his mind:

Find Fitz and hang out with him.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rocksicles posted:

Mack is the new Buddy.

Is it sad I like the Fitz-Mack dynamic way more than the Fitz-Simmons dynamic, to the point I really don't want them to go back to that?

Simmons is too similar. Mack has a completely different approach and it's way more interesting.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Blazing Ownager posted:

Is it sad I like the Fitz-Mack dynamic way more than the Fitz-Simmons dynamic, to the point I really don't want them to go back to that?

Simmons is too similar. Mack has a completely different approach and it's way more interesting.

I agree, Mack is just this very down to earth and patient mechanic and I really hope he doesn't stay crazy but comes back and works on Lola while drinking beer and wisecracking with the rest of the cast.

I guess they'll give Trip some more screen time now though which is good, it's jarring how sparse his appearances are considering he's a highly competent agent and all kinds of charismatic to boot.

I knew he was working another show but it's good to see he's getting movie roles too, it's just that in the context of this show it feels weird after the end of S1 that he doesn't play a bigger role. Also I don't watch Being Mary Jane and I want all the BJ Britt to myself in the things I watch :)

Martout fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 3, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Martout posted:

I agree, Mack is just this very down to earth and patient mechanic and I really hope he doesn't stay crazy but comes back and works on Lola while drinking beer and wisecracking with the rest of the cast.

I guess they'll give Trip some more screen time now though which is good, it's jarring how sparse his appearances are considering he's a highly competent agent and all kinds of charismatic to boot.

BJ Britt is actually on another show and if rumors are to be believed has been doing movie work as well. So it's no surprise he's not been around as much.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Of all the roles I would have expected Patton Oswalt to be given, and to do great at, "Super-competent secret agent(s)" wasn't one of them. I'm so impressed by that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Robot Hobo posted:

Of all the roles I would have expected Patton Oswalt to be given, and to do great at, "Super-competent secret agent(s)" wasn't one of them. I'm so impressed by that.

Given Patton Oswalt's scattershot approach to getting guest roles on shows, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Well assuming he is a LMD, you could program him to do anything!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

TLG James posted:

Well assuming he is a LMD, you could program him to do anything!

The real twist is the Koenigs are Ultron prototypes.

The plus side is we will get to see Patton Oswalt punch through a bus.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Patton Oswald says they cut one of his lines.

After Ward asks, "How many of you are there?" Billy answers: "You'll see."

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Gonz posted:

Is there any particular example that sticks out in your mind, or was your favorite instance of twin shenanigans?

When I was in college there was a brief period where some people called me by my middle name, which is boring, and my first name, which is cool but I got teased about a ton in school so I stopped using it. This led to an amusing circumstance in which some of my fellow students actually were under the impression I was two different people, which I discovered one night sitting in the computer lab. Another student left the computer lab to go to the bathroom; when he returned I had put on a sweater. So his eyes widened and he said "Hey, your brother was just there a minute ago..."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Robot Hobo posted:

People do underestimate him at their own peril.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Onean posted:

That really bugged you, didn't it? Really, I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intention, and if we're going to see a larger representation of races (which would be nice, to be honest) then things like this are going to pop up and not be completely racist.

Mack was nice as a character because the show didn't rely on his physical appearance to fill out his characterization. Big, muscle-y black guy is actually a soft spoken, empathetic, tech nerd type. That was cool.

In fact all of the new people in the show are interesting and new-ish spins on old tropes.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It wasn't until he went crazy that i really noticed that Mack was super buffed. As much as i like the character, i can't bear the though of Fitz and Simmons being apart.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Screw that, Fitz/Mack and Tripp/Simmons 4ever

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like how Tripp and Simmons have really bonded over their almost being killed by Hydra experience.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Apparently Shield got a really good rating last night. 1.8 demo, 5 million live viewers. At least they were cheering about it on Twitter so I guess that's a good rating.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Shageletic posted:

Mack was nice as a character because the show didn't rely on his physical appearance to fill out his characterization. Big, muscle-y black guy is actually a soft spoken, empathetic, tech nerd type. That was cool.

In fact all of the new people in the show are interesting and new-ish spins on old tropes.

Mack was the most interesting of the new characters introduced this season to me, so of course they killed him. :smith:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

greatn posted:

Apparently Shield got a really good rating last night. 1.8 demo, 5 million live viewers. At least they were cheering about it on Twitter so I guess that's a good rating.

The show has been ticking up the last few episodes but this episode was up almost several hundred thousand viewers from last. (5.30 million vs 4.58 million) I'm happy to see the show firing on all cylinders is bringing people back. Or if it's not that then whatever it is.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'd guess probably audience lead in from the Flash crossover event. Since they already had the TV on went ahead and flipped over to the other comic show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SHIELD went up double what Flash did.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Rocksicles posted:

Cram that in your pie hole Barry

I'm sorry, who is this person? Is he some inside source at Marvel or is he just compiling scraps of news, rumor, and speculation that originate elsewhere?

EDIT: Looking at his post history, clearly the latter. Yeah, okay.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Barry Convex posted:

I'm sorry, who is this person? Is he some inside source at Marvel or is he just compiling scraps of news, rumor, and speculation that originate elsewhere?

They basically confirmed Inhumans in last night's episode. I'm not sure what else you need.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Deadpool posted:

The show has been ticking up the last few episodes but this episode was up almost several hundred thousand viewers from last. (5.30 million vs 4.58 million) I'm happy to see the show firing on all cylinders is bringing people back. Or if it's not that then whatever it is.

Shame we're hitting a midseason break, they might lose all this momentum.

If Agent Carter is a smash hit, though, I suspect that crew will come back for another look at SHIELD.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

mikeraskol posted:

They basically confirmed Inhumans in last night's episode. I'm not sure what else you need.

Dude's just a couple steps above Irish Joe at this point.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

mikeraskol posted:

Eh, still not convinced. Think of me what you will.

I'm at least willing to consider that they might be able to thread the needle and deliver a minimal enough quantity of exposition to not tread on the film plans for the Inhumans, provided that the most explicitly Inhumans-related elements pretty much begin and end with the next episode.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

mikeraskol posted:

They haven't really confirmed anything, though obviously Inhumans are happening at some point.

I'd really like for it to actually be Atlantis, though. Let's be realistic, they're never putting Namor in a movie, but he would be a great rear end in a top hat antagonist in SHIELD.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Hakkesshu posted:

They haven't really confirmed anything, though obviously Inhumans are happening at some point.

Barry Convex posted:

Eh, still not convinced. Think of me what you will.

Did you guys not watch the same episode I did or what?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Who's that?
That is a very buff ruler of Atlantis in very small trunks
He's dreamy

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Barry Convex posted:

They couldn't be more obvious Inhumans are about to be introduced and quite likely next week.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They literally said like 3 different synonyms for inhuman.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Deadpool posted:

I think a part of it is that Season 1 is now on Netflix, so a lot of people were able to bing watch, and then just decided to tune in and see how the new seaons compared.

IIRC, this is the first episode to air since Season 1 showed up on Netflix...

Cat Terrist posted:

They couldn't be more obvious Inhumans are about to be introduced and quite likely next week.

Some of the cast are saying on Twitter that next weeks episode will make last night's look boring in comparison. I feel a major cliffhanger coming on...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kheldarn posted:

Some of the cast are saying on Twitter that next weeks episode will make last night's look boring in comparison. I feel a major cliffhanger coming on...

A major shakeup perhaps? Sorry, don't want to get to too Gotham-y there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Nice new thread title!

Also, I've been sick all week, and while attempting to sleep last night, my mind kept wandering back to the question someone asked earlier in the thread: How are they going to get away from the HYDRA planes that just got the order to shoot them down?

My brain said that May will turn off the engines, making the S.H.I.E.L.D. plane plummet, and then she'll pull a Han Solo, and fly out of there in a fancy Millennium Falcon maneuver.

Deadpool posted:

A major shakeup perhaps? Sorry, don't want to get to too Gotham-y there.

Well, if Mack becomes an Inhuman, and Skye and Raina have the potential, too... Eh. I've got nothing.

• Locked thread