Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Just started my first real D&D game a few weeks ago. Playing HoTDQ at the local gaming shop. I made a human (variant) wizard. My teammates are a barb, fighter, cleric (war), monk, and bard. I've done some reading on the older versions and have played a few games such as baldur's gate and D&D Online. I'm still new to the table top version, so I'm not really sure what questions I should be asking. Anyway, here is what I'm currently using.

LVL 2 Human (Variant) Wizard
STR/DEX/CON/INT/WIS/CHA
8 /16 /13 /16 /10 /10

Sage background- Would probably prefer something with stealth
Abjuration Mage- I like not dying
HV Feat: Defensive Duelist- I like not getting hit

Human V bumps in dex and int. Our DM gives us full HD at lvl (d6+con) and full hps per HD per rest btw. I was planning on eventually taking the Resilience(Con)Feat.
Apparently, we can recreate our characters at will before lvl 5, so let me know what may be more viable or anything fun.

Skills: Arcana, History, Insight, Investigation, Perception
Cantrips: Fire bolt, Minor Illusion, Message
Lvl 1: Sleep, Tasha's Laugh, MagMiss, Color Spray, Shield, Find Familiar (owl), Mage Armor, [Didn't write one down here, whoops].

Before I started this game at the very beginning of HOTDQ, my friend and I tagged along with another group's party that was a few weeks through. Starting us at level 1 on those slightly higher lvl encounters scared me into going so defensively (Abj., mage armor, defensive duelist, shield). My current group has just left Greenest, and I don't think I've been swung on once, but I'm still wary for the future. The earlier group I mentioned got through the assassin/night at the inn encounter (On the Road) barely, and it has TPK'd maybe 2 groups at the store.

Anyway, like I said before, let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Defensive dualist and Resilience are bad feats for a Wizard; The first is only a +2 to AC when you use a finesse weapon, which you shouldn't be using, and the second just gives you a +2 to a single saving throw. Those will go to +3 at lvl 5, but you're basically just making yourself slightly less squishy. You need to get over your fear of getting hit and learn how to position yourself out of harms way. If you really want to avoid being hit, Skulker or Mobile would probably give a better advantage. Aside from that look into War Caster, Elemental Adept, Ritual Caster, Lucky, and maybe Spell Sniper if your battles are outdoors a lot.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Ok. I started with the dagger, so I figured the Defensive Duelist would always be on, with my free hand for the focus and whatnot. I'm not 100% sure how the whole Somatic, Component, Spell Focus/Component Pouch works in combat and thought Res-Con would be good to bump my Con to a 14 eventually. Is the below right?
Base AC: 13
Mage Armor: 16AC +7THP
Def Duel: 18AC (reaction)
Shield: 21AC (reaction + lvl 1 slot)

Anyway. I'd like to try out war caster and the shocking grasp cantrip if I'm in range and need to get out. Also kinda wanna make a Divination wizard with lucky for the fun of it.

Any ideas for my 8th lvl 1 spell?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Wizards aren't proficient with shields. Also, while you have a dagger now I'm assuming your DM will eventually drop a wand or staff with bonuses on it, which means you'd have to choose between them or your feat. But even then the feat should very rarely come into play: It only works against the first melee attack each round; you shouldn't be near enemies to begin with, most enemies have multiple attacks, and it's only a slight difference in AC. Instead you could get Magic Initiate, which would give you two more cantrips, then select Bane as your spell, effectively giving you 1d4 AC against every incoming attack.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
I don't think Resilience (Con) is a bad feat for a Wizard at all. It will let you hang on to your Concentration spells that much easier, which can fizzle out any time you're damaged. But I might delay picking up the feat until my prof bonus is about +3 or +4 or so. Just a +2 bonus by itself isn't that strong yet and your Concentration spells are likewise not yet as good as they'll become later.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
If you want to pass Concentration checks, get War Caster. As far as I can tell the most straightfoward way to build a decent Wizard is to get Intelligence to 20 as fast as possible and do everything you can to pump damage and spell save DCs, while splashing into Elemental Adept to take away enemies' resistances to your elemental damage types.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
If you are that worried about getting hit, take a level of cleric for armor and shield, along with war caster. You'll still have full spell progression and pickup all of the level 1 cleric spells.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

Doodmons posted:

If you want to pass Concentration checks, get War Caster. As far as I can tell the most straightfoward way to build a decent Wizard is to get Intelligence to 20 as fast as possible and do everything you can to pump damage and spell save DCs, while splashing into Elemental Adept to take away enemies' resistances to your elemental damage types.
Warcaster is good and I would recommend it but Con saves that are not concentration saves come into play pretty often, and Save against Con spells are some of the nastier ones in the game. Resil:Con is probably better in the long run.

Power Player fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 3, 2014

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Be a Transmuter and get Proficiency to Con for free at level 6, then use Resilient for Wisdom instead.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Human (Variant), Level 1 Cleric (Life), Next levels in Wizard
Gain: heavy armor + shield (AC 20 with plate and shield)
Gain: Swap INT save proficiency for WIS save proficiency
Gain: 2 HP
Gain: A pile of cantrips and two Cleric domain spells, as well as level 1 cleric spells known

Feat Taken: Resilient (Con)
Stats, after racial adjustments: 16 INT 16 CON 14 WIS 10 DEX 8 STR 8 CHA

Lose: Delay class features for Wizard 1 level
Lose: 2 first level wizard spells, delay your gaining new Wizard spells by 1 level (so instead of 2nd level spells at 3rd level, you will gain them at 4th).
Neutral: At certain levels it will be exactly as if you were a Wizard of that level.
Lose: A stupid level 20 capstone

Also you should go Necromancer! Nothing says Necromancer like black-spike fullplate and your skeleton horde.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Depending on the amount of money you start with (it seems like you are level two), I suspect that the cost of full plate is outside of your budget. A lot of these people have given you very good advice, which basically boils down to "the best wizards have a level in something other than wizard." Your two options are basically to (a) take your first level in fighter, or (b) take a level in cleric whenever convenient.

As for feats, I think Resilient is terrible, and if you want constitution proficiency you should just have your first level in fighter. In the early levels Heavy Armor Mastery is going to make you tankier and less likely to need to make concentration checks because most enemies aren't going to be able to hit you, and if they do (and you decide not to spend a Shield usage to undo their attack), they also need to get through your damage reduction to have any impact on you. It arguably doesn't scale very well as the levels go on, but by then you're actually a powerful wizard and also a T-Rex so it doesn't matter very much.

Going the fighter route has the following benefits:
- You get proficiency with all weapons, all armor, and shields.
- You get proficiency in constitution saves, which frees up the feat you are wasting taking on Resilient.
- You get a free +1 AC while in heavy armor, which is very similar to a free magic item (and an extra attunement slot) at first level, which is very powerful. It can be used to emulate full plate at level two if you can afford splint mail, as you'll have 20 base armor class in a splint mail and shield.
- This build lends itself well to a spread of a high strength score, constitution score, and intelligence score, which results in hit points that are fairly competitive with classes that aren't barbarian.

The other option is to take a level in cleric, which would provide:
- Heavy armor proficiency, shield proficiency, and proficiency in arguably decent saves.
- Access to some of the best spells in the game, including Guidance and Resistance as cantrips, as well as Bless and Inflict Wounds as level one spells. Inflict is one of the better single-target nukes in the game, and if you remain a divination wizard, at level 5 you could conceivably just declare that you crit a person for 10d10 damage using your highest level slot to cast Inflict (assuming you have a Portent 20 to spend).
- The domain powers are okay, as are some of the domain spells. I would be preferential towards Nature because of the additional free cantrip, off-class spell access, and free skill proficiency, which as a combination is a very nice set of benefits, but Life or War are also solid choices depending on how you want to play it.
- This build lends itself well to STR/DEX/CON of 8, and INT/WIS/CHA of 16. This sounds bad on the surface, but if you intend to become a vampire, you will have 18/18/18/16/16/16 for stats by level 9 or 10 when that becomes viable to achieve. At that point you will also have access to Polymorph in order to become not-a-vampire if you need to walk around in the daylight for an hour or two per day.

I've been playing the Fighter1/Wizard approach and find it to be perfectly fun during the early levels of the game. I think Cleric1/Wizard might be technically superior after level 8 or so, but only for purposes of more cantrips, [marginally] more spell slots, very good low-level buff spells, a high-damage single-target nuke in Inflict, and the only tradeoff being 1 less AC and not having constitution proficiency. Those trade-offs are probably overwhelmed by the benefits you would get by the array you could have as a vampire, though, which if you can manage to achieve it makes cleric the clear winner.

The school specialization you choose should probably be carefully weighed against the rest of your group, though. Divination is hands-down the most powerful with the ability to declare the results of die rolls, which for a wizard means the following (among many other things):
- You have a 0% chance to fail when copying spells from scrolls into your spellbook. You just choose to succeed and if you can't do so today, rest for eight hours and see how things are looking.
- You decide whether someone succeeds or fails on a saving throw. You can also decide the initiative of an enemy if you're so inclined, or your own, or a party member's.
- Every once in a while you have a pocket crit, and decide how an encounter ends. Normally by dealing 100 damage to something in the first round. (I think the current record in the HOTDQ game I am playing in is 67 damage, but that was at level three).
- If you are patient, you also succeed on every social roll you want to win. Just wait until you have the correct die roll, and now you have access to the information you wanted through a knowledge check, or have won over an NPC for whatever goal you wanted them to support you on. This requires careful use of downtime but it's pretty powerful in any game that gives you days off here and there, or any game that is social-oriented. Arguably HOTDQ isn't the best for this but it seems to come up often enough if you are aggressive about what you do during your downtime.

Divination is also the most likely school to grate on other party member's nerves though, and also fairly likely (depending on their personality) to give your DM a stroke given that you start being an annoying win-button from level two onwards. It is the only school that doesn't scale very well with multiple users. If you were playing in a party comprised of entirely Divination wizards, it would no longer actually be a game, because you are just deciding who wins (and it is always you) by declaring what the enemy rolls and what you roll. You'd only have a pool of 12 die rolls in a party of six, but that is enough to tackle almost anything you encounter between long rests. The only party composition more broken would be six moon druids, and even then it might be a toss-up. If you're the only Diviner in the party it's a little more balanced but not by much.

Finally, one comment on spell selection - you seem to be lacking in rituals. You can't prepare everything in your spellbook at once, so taking one or more of floating disk, unseen servant, alarm and comprehend languages is a very good investment. Detect magic is also suspiciously missing from your spell list and is important for ensuring you are able to properly murder-hobo things and take their valuables. As well, Identify is critical to avoiding cursed items and generally being a know-it-all. If you end up taking a class with heavy armor proficiency, there is also no reason to have mage armor, so you could change that to something else. With regard to your wizard cantrips, you could probably afford to swap out message for shocking grasp if you really wanted. Minor illusion is best-in-class for wizard and probably the best in the game after guidance as far as cantrips go, so I wouldn't recommend swapping it out. Fire bolt is a decent ranged attack which you kind of need, so that really only leaves message as the disposable cantrip.

Waador fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 3, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Waador posted:

if you want constitution proficiency you should just have your first level in fighter.

2nd-ing this. I'm playing a Fighter6/Bard6 in a homegame, and the phrase, "Oh wait, I get prof to that CON save because I'm a Fighter" has been said by me more than once. It comes in handy if you plan on being close to the frontlines or if it just ends up seeming to happen often enough.

And I've said it before, but I'll say it again: Defense Fighting Style goes with everything.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Wow, thanks for all the advice. There are so many more interactions and options than I previously thought.

Just got back from our weekly session and hit Lvl 3. It looks like I may have to go the Cleric 1/Wiz route or straight cleric. Our cleric was moved to another party, so our only sources of healing are from a bard and ranger.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

odinson posted:

Wow, thanks for all the advice. There are so many more interactions and options than I previously thought.

Just got back from our weekly session and hit Lvl 3. It looks like I may have to go the Cleric 1/Wiz route or straight cleric. Our cleric was moved to another party, so our only sources of healing are from a bard and ranger.
Dude, a bard is a full healer. That song of healing in particular makes a ton of difference.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
I totally overlooked the bard's healing potential. Especially with Magic Secrets. My roommate actually plays the bard in our group, so I'll let him know all his options.

BashfulBanana
Nov 22, 2011
I'm currently running a campaign with the party as a crew of corsairs, and I've been working on some ship rules to use in it. This is the fourth major revision of the rules which is actually playable, so I'm looking for anyone interested in building or battling some ships. This is supposed to be sailing era, with airships levitating due to magical artifacts.

Here's the rules and a ship sheet and some basic assets I made for roll20.

The first arc in my campaign is the crew looking for new members, gear, and a ship. They've decided to commission a ship's construction and are questing for coin and rare ship parts to this end. Using the rules for skilled hirelings, it's going to cost them about 4.5 gp for every 5 gp of the ship, and take about two months for a crew of 20 to build their ship, including parts and labor, which feels about right. I've made the ship weapons match the siege weapons in the DMG.

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Codename: Morningstar now has a Kickstarter, and having been dumped by Wizards they're now making it into a Pathfinder tool.

Note that you can only use it to run pre-made adventures, of which you only get one if you buy the GM tier for $50, and you can't make your own custom adventures for it unless you pay into the Forge tier for $125, which lasts a year.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Having seen the kind of quality they put out in the betas, I wouldn't touch that if it were free.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah it went from something that I might be interested in if they got into gear and actually put out a good product, to uh this. I am honestly surprised at how many backers they have right now. I have to wonder how many of those backers actually playtested Morningstar. Because I was not impressed with what they had put together with using the relatively small, at the time and for now, rules for D&D5e but it is going to become a bloated mess for Pathfinder and I don't see it improving a whole lot. Then again who knows maybe their Kickstarter goal is a lot higher than what they were getting, or potentially getting, from WotC? Not sure how it could be, but I don't know the business.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Harthacnut posted:

Codename: Morningstar now has a Kickstarter, and having been dumped by Wizards they're now making it into a Pathfinder tool.

Note that you can only use it to run pre-made adventures, of which you only get one if you buy the GM tier for $50, and you can't make your own custom adventures for it unless you pay into the Forge tier for $125, which lasts a year.

lololol even now PF is taking Wizards' leavings and making them into products.

Aaaahahahaaaa it even has the Modules!

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
@trapdoortech
Will Morningstar work for D&D? Not in the same way as before - once wotc announces OGL 5e plans, you can bet we will support it in the app!

"Once they announce OGL plans". Don't hold your breath. And now they have to compete with all the other PF tools out there.

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it

thespaceinvader posted:

lololol even now PF is taking Wizards' leavings and making them into products.

Aaaahahahaaaa it even has the Modules!

Hey man, Pathfinder showed that you can easily get fat from the scraps that fall off the table if you digest them right.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
$425k, and thats not flexible funding, its all or nothing. If I was WoTC and they showed me that product with a half a million dollar price tag, I would have cut my losses as well.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Laphroaig posted:

$425k, and thats not flexible funding, its all or nothing. If I was WoTC and they showed me that product with a half a million dollar price tag, I would have cut my losses as well.

At a minimum of $20 per unit, I may be somewhat overegging the pudding in calling it a product, mind.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, why would you use this thing when you can use Roll20 for free?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You could ask that about a lot of Next.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ryuujin posted:

Yeah it went from something that I might be interested in if they got into gear and actually put out a good product, to uh this. I am honestly surprised at how many backers they have right now. I have to wonder how many of those backers actually playtested Morningstar. Because I was not impressed with what they had put together with using the relatively small, at the time and for now, rules for D&D5e but it is going to become a bloated mess for Pathfinder and I don't see it improving a whole lot. Then again who knows maybe their Kickstarter goal is a lot higher than what they were getting, or potentially getting, from WotC? Not sure how it could be, but I don't know the business.

I can guarantee you that none of their backers have any idea of what they're getting into (they're probably also Next players, harhar)

ritorix posted:

"Once they announce OGL plans". Don't hold your breath. And now they have to compete with all the other PF tools out there.

One of the WOTC designers (not Mearls) actually did say back in Oct that they have plans to bring back an OGL "someday"

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

gradenko_2000 posted:

One of the WOTC designers (not Mearls) actually did say back in Oct that they have plans to bring back an OGL "someday"

Perhaps the day before they leave and start their own company.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

BashfulBanana posted:

I'm currently running a campaign with the party as a crew of corsairs, and I've been working on some ship rules to use in it. This is the fourth major revision of the rules which is actually playable, so I'm looking for anyone interested in building or battling some ships. This is supposed to be sailing era, with airships levitating due to magical artifacts.

Here's the rules and a ship sheet and some basic assets I made for roll20.

The first arc in my campaign is the crew looking for new members, gear, and a ship. They've decided to commission a ship's construction and are questing for coin and rare ship parts to this end. Using the rules for skilled hirelings, it's going to cost them about 4.5 gp for every 5 gp of the ship, and take about two months for a crew of 20 to build their ship, including parts and labor, which feels about right. I've made the ship weapons match the siege weapons in the DMG.

The biggest problem I've run into with running PC-crewed ships is giving people things to do that aren't, "And then I repeat the action I did last round." Having multiple types of movement and attack actions can help with this, rather than a catchall, "Describe what you want to do and then the GM arbitrates." Things like a movement action that enhances your attacks, or a gunnery action that forces an enemy penalty of movement, and on. Every PC having something to contribute may also be a problem, though I suppose there's nothing saying the Surgeon can't be manning a ballista and using his awesome Cannoneer bud's great advice to get the good attack bonuses.

The space rules are sort of weird, too - a slip's size is given as 20x40ft, but room sizes are given in cubic feet? Is stacking rooms just fine, and if so how many can you stack? Why does a cabin that has 225 square feet (assuming a 7.5 foot ceiling) house 8 people uncomfortably? By traditional naval standards having 225 square feet between 8 people would mean you're the Richie Riches of the sailing world, not that you're uncomfortable. Also, do thrust items just use the weight given regardless of material?

I like the Skies of Arcadia-esque queue system, though, and the whole concept is pretty well put together, it just seems like it needs testing and tweaking.

Darwinism fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 6, 2014

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
So Wizards is having a contest, using ancient memes. I knew what had to be done.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Gort posted:

Perhaps the day before they leave and start their own company.

This but seriously. The D&D team has literally never been smaller. It wouldn't surprise me if they were hanging from a thread and existing more or less just to ensure "D&D" exists as a license that can be used for other stuff, with even that being shaky.

BashfulBanana
Nov 22, 2011

Darwinism posted:

The biggest problem I've run into with running PC-crewed ships is giving people things to do that aren't, "And then I repeat the action I did last round." Having multiple types of movement and attack actions can help with this, rather than a catchall, "Describe what you want to do and then the GM arbitrates." Things like a movement action that enhances your attacks, or a gunnery action that forces an enemy penalty of movement, and on. Every PC having something to contribute may also be a problem, though I suppose there's nothing saying the Surgeon can't be manning a ballista and using his awesome Cannoneer bud's great advice to get the good attack bonuses.

The space rules are sort of weird, too - a slip's size is given as 20x40ft, but room sizes are given in cubic feet? Is stacking rooms just fine, and if so how many can you stack? Why does a cabin that has 225 square feet (assuming a 7.5 foot ceiling) house 8 people uncomfortably? By traditional naval standards having 225 square feet between 8 people would mean you're the Richie Riches of the sailing world, not that you're uncomfortable. Also, do thrust items just use the weight given regardless of material?

I like the Skies of Arcadia-esque queue system, though, and the whole concept is pretty well put together, it just seems like it needs testing and tweaking.

In combat, the Captain and Cannoneer are probably going the be the only ones doing much with the ship, but other PCs can take their turns as normal, and still be Senior Crew (but not Skeleton Crew) as long as they can communicate properly. Ideally, something will be happening on-deck that PCs who aren't playing the ship can deal with, like boarding, fighting mobs, or something else. The assign action covers weapon attacks, which can make targeted attacks. If you hit a thrust part with targeted attacks from chain shot, it disables it, or you can disable other parts by just doing a ton of damage with targeted attacks, so the assign action has a lot of options which should hopefully be interesting during combat.

The ship space on the chart needs to be adjusted, and was an estimate put there for use in ships which don't have specific deck maps. The rooms are given in cubic feet (with some guidelines on about how many squares it is with different ceiling heights) for the sake of drawing out deck maps. I don't really care how people arrange rooms, considering how you can build a variety of sea ships or air ships or floating structures with this, so it's just kinda up to the GM to limit what's reasonable. I think I'm definitely going to return "rooms" to a smaller size, and may adjust how many crew can fit per cabin. The thrust parts are indeed independent of material, as their important bits aren't made out of the same material as the ship anyway.

Thanks a ton for the feedback.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
My cousin has decided to run this game in a direct attempt to spite me since I have been making GBS threads all over this system. Having bought the book and read most of it now (still need to read spells) I am... cautiously optimistic actually. There's a lot of design decisions that I like if I come at it from the perspective of trying to fix 3.5. Baseline the class balance is obviously all crapped up, and I have no real concept of what the game will be like to run having just read the phb, but I think it will be fun to play. I am looking forward to being a gnome cleric 1/wizard 19 and reliving the old dumb 3.5 paradigm.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 7, 2014

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Failboattootoot posted:

My cousin has decided to run this game in a direct attempt to spite me since I have been making GBS threads all over this system. Having bought the book and read most of it now (still need to read spells) I am... cautiously optimistic actually. There's a lot of design decisions that I like if I come at it from the perspective of trying to fix 3.5. Baseline the class balance is obviously all crapped up, and I have no real concept of what the game will be like to run having just read the phb, but I think it will be fun to play. I am looking forward to being a gnome cleric 1/wizard 19 and reliving the old dumb 3.5 paradigm.

I'm not sure why you're surprised by this being an improved version of pathfinder. Also doing things to spite someone else sounds like a great way to start a cooperative imagination game.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I got in touch with my inner 16-year-old tonight DMing 2nd Edition AD&D and made peace with the idea that spontaneity, tummyfeels, and excessive use of randomized charts can still produce a good gaming experience, despite the many shortcomings of the system. Sometimes "ah gently caress it, you know what, this happens" is OK.

It's too bad that in 25 years the most notable changes I can see to the basic system are that they made ability scores too important and set things back quite a way with the feat concept. 3E and 4E both have better layouts, but 5E actually regressed a bit there to shoddy organization of races and spells, for example.

I agree with people who have mentioned that separating out thief from fighter was a total mistake.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Dungeon World is a system that is built to take advantage of spontaneity and tummyfeels and it's a much better system than D&D for it in my opinion. "Ah gently caress it, you know what, this happens" is coded into the very rules. It doesn't feel like D&D supports that kind of playstyle at all.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
No amount of "tummy feels" makes up for those two names in the credits, period.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Boing posted:

Dungeon World is a system that is built to take advantage of spontaneity and tummyfeels and it's a much better system than D&D for it in my opinion. "Ah gently caress it, you know what, this happens" is coded into the very rules. It doesn't feel like D&D supports that kind of playstyle at all.
Somebody should write a module where the DM is secretly playing Dungeon World while the players think they are playing D&D.

I think a lot of the appeal of D&D is in that huge mass of structure. Most people don't look at it too closely, because it's a byzantine mess, but lots of the details stick out and call to them. Dungeon World loses a lot of the cruft, but it also loses all these d100 charts of mysterious neat things. I can sympathize with people who feel this way.

The thing I don't get is the weird authoritarian hierarchy where the players sit beneath the DM, and the DM is somehow bound to the rules within the books, and the books are interpreted according to the Will of Gygax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Failboattootoot posted:

Next has some good ideas that every now and then makes me feel like it's worth at least trying as a one-shot/few-session-campaign. Hell, it's why I post in the thread so much.

If you don't play with feats, then flat character progression except for selecting your archetype seems like a good way to create a level of customizability without overwhelming players with choice. There's also the simplicity of the Bounded Accuracy model and the lip service to modern design decisions.

But then you get to the half-assed not-quite-TOTM/not-quite-full-grid combat rules, the non-existent monster math, martial classes still getting mostly shat on, casters still mostly dominating, and finally the atrocious "natural language" writing compounded by the confusing lay-out of the books. I'm going to consider the lack of PDF support as another bullet point all by itself because if you're going to dump dozens of pages of spells that reference each other, combat rules that are scattered all over the place and rules that aren't very well written, then you bet your rear end I'm going to want to CTRL-F that poo poo.

It's just so discouraging that a goon-made game made over the course of a month feels like it's had more thought put into it.