Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I haven't played on any home consoles in a while. Is the Wii U always this kind of loud?

My fans aren't obstructed and I can feel a little bit of air coming from them. Did I just forget how loud home consoles are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

mine is pretty loud, yeah

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Thanks. I play it at my desk so being this close to the system probably doesn't help.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Of course; all good consoles are loud (RIP Dreamcast).

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

My Wii U isn't too loud. I hear the optical drive spinning more than I do any fans. Of course, my only basis for comparison is my PC (loud) and my first gen PS3 (louder.)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Looks like they sold out of pre-orders for now? I'm glad I got mine in early since it still says I've got guaranteed release day delivery.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

thedouche posted:

Just buy a "used" (reprint) copy of prime trilogy from gamestop. Mine was 45 used (maybe 50 though). With the 20% birthday coupon and the GS unlocked card, it was a hell of a deal.

That's what I ended up doing, I thought they'd have it priced ridiculously, but yeah, it was 45~50. Got their last copy.

Really liking the system so far, the Gamepad feels a lot better than I had imagined it would.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
I have my WiiU vertically on my desk, and for the most part it's quiet. I have noticed that if I push down on various areas of my desk, it gets much louder. I have to imagine it has to do with how level the surface is.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Monkey Fracas posted:

Of course; all good consoles are loud (RIP Dreamcast).

The Dreamcast isn't quiet enough to be loud. Definitely good though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The reason I'm mostly digital is because how loud my Wii U is with a disc in it. I wish we could install discs like on the other consoles. :(

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I find it hilarious that Nintendo has been pushing digital downloads, but the one game I got (tropical freeze) took up almost half of the available hard drive space.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Narcissus1916 posted:

I find it hilarious that Nintendo has been pushing digital downloads, but the one game I got (tropical freeze) took up almost half of the available hard drive space.

Uhh..okay? I mean, what exactly is so hilarious about that?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

jivjov posted:

Uhh..okay? I mean, what exactly is so hilarious about that?

Nintendo released a new console with a larger hard drive specifically with intent to push digital downloads using a digital download promotion. It turned out DKCTF which was Nintendo exclusive and billed as a top title in the eShop if purchased basically put an end to your ability to download any games.

It's deadly serious and someone at Nintendo should commit seppuku.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Other then that and Smash, first party games have pretty small file sizes.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
If only we could go back to the good old days where we overpaid for proprietary storage.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nolgthorn posted:

Nintendo released a new console with a larger hard drive specifically with intent to push digital downloads using a digital download promotion. It turned out DKCTF which was Nintendo exclusive and billed as a top title in the eShop if purchased basically put an end to your ability to download any games.

It's deadly serious and someone at Nintendo should commit seppuku.

How....so? There's still storage space left if you download Tropical Freeze, and the console supports external storage, and you can delete TF and redownload it at a later date if you need to temporarily clear up space.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Actually I don't see why they couldn't give something like a 250 gig HD in the system itself since the physical size difference of the drive is not really going to be an issue.

like storage space is real cheap, you can get a 32GB SD card for under 10 bucks.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm guessing the next Nintendo will probably have more internal storage. They're only hamstringing their own digital sales by requiring external drives for any significant downloading. I think the majority of users don't even really know what an external drive is.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah I've been getting along fine with the 32gigs. I just make sure to get the huge games on disc. I wish the eshop would list the download size so I didn't have to look that poo poo up in a separate browser but otherwise it's fine.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
When the console came out, one of the few things it was praised for was the decision to allow attaching external drives instead of including an arbitrarily-sized hard drive, thus bringing down the cost of the console a bit and letting consumers choose how much hard drive they wanted. Now, Nintendo is being taken to task for that exact same decision. :shrug:

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Actually I don't see why they couldn't give something like a 250 gig HD in the system itself since the physical size difference of the drive is not really going to be an issue.

like storage space is real cheap, you can get a 32GB SD card for under 10 bucks.

Cost.
Remember, this system came out two years ago.
Design on the Wii U was started at least 5-7 years ago.
production agreements for parts were probably signed, at the latest, 3 years ago.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Wii Fit U on the eShop and a few small titles but if you are ever planning on selling your Wii U it's better if it doesn't have an external hard drive hanging off of it. If you want to be able to sell your games for any respectable percentage of their cost then they should be physical.

I don't see the benefit of digital downloads. I suppose I don't switch between games all that often.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

katkillad2 posted:

If only we could go back to the good old days where we overpaid for proprietary storage.

Try saying that to somebody who owns a Vita. We're still living in those "good old days".

Downloads being as big as they are and a desire to physically own stuff is mainly why I'm not switching from discs anytime soon.

I still buy the poo poo out of Virtual Console games though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Not having to disc-swap and just having everything at the touch of an icon is the biggest draw for digital downloading for me.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

unimportantguy posted:

When the console came out, one of the few things it was praised for was the decision to allow attaching external drives instead of including an arbitrarily-sized hard drive, thus bringing down the cost of the console a bit and letting consumers choose how much hard drive they wanted. Now, Nintendo is being taken to task for that exact same decision. :shrug:

It wasn't praised for that though. Some people in this thread made that argument but most people thought it was a dumb decision. Allowing any external is great, but you can do that and also provide an adequate amount of internal storage. The lower disk space wasn't really all that big of a boon for cost anyway considering they were selling these things at $350 and eating a loss on them. Internal HDD, proper audio out cables, and ethernet port were bad places to cut costs.

Lack of internal drive space, because they didn't want moving parts in there, was good for design and reliability and power draw though, which is the main things Nintendo cares about. Their next system still probably won't have a hard drive, but the memory of the type they're using now will probably be a lot cheaper and more will be crammed in.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

How do you send a complaint and get a fucker banned? I just had "kingHitl3r" join my Mario Kart game and that fucker needs to not be online.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

FairGame posted:

How do you send a complaint and get a fucker banned? I just had "kingHitl3r" join my Mario Kart game and that fucker needs to not be online.

was he using a hitler mii

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

FairGame posted:

I hope he won the race. Race war that is ha ha ha ha

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

FairGame posted:

Sounds like he was just out for a drive with some of his Italian buddies.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That's a little juvenile and his name should be changed, but was he doing anything particularly abusive that would make you that mad about it?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

FairGame posted:

Was he from Florida? All the name-trolls I see tend to be from there.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Jonas Albrecht posted:

We need to hunt down King Hitl3r, and bring him to justice. We'll search from Fernandina Beach to Miami. He will have no place to run

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

greatn posted:

That's a little juvenile and his name should be changed, but was he doing anything particularly abusive that would make you that mad about it?

No, but that's still not something I want in my online experience--and clearly neither does Nintendo or they wouldn't have a filter that forced him to use a 3 instead of an e.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Utah, I think.

absolutely anything posted:

was he using a hitler mii

Now I'm upset he missed this opportunity

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

FairGame posted:

No, but that's still not something I want in my online experience--and clearly neither does Nintendo or they wouldn't have a filter that forced him to use a 3 instead of an e.

Your discrimination is just disgusting. Get Off Line if you don't accept that people are god drat different than you sometimes you bigot.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You see this on Xbox Live all the time. Generally they will be forced to name change, and if they keep changing it to something offensive they are banned.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Ruddha posted:

I hope he won the race. Race war that is ha ha ha ha

lol

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Uhhhh are there people who don't have Hitler Miis? I don't understand. :confused:

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

What if his name is Hitler you monster?

night slime
May 14, 2014
Hitler pressed the gas pedal the entire time, to be ironic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

The_Frag_Man posted: