Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.wsbtv.com/s/news/nation-world/live-video/

Our history means that "black lives matter" is something we have to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

zoux posted:

I don't know but if it's disingenuous to post a picture of a black person doing a "bad thing" and say he's a thug it's disingenuous to post a picture of a black person doing a "good thing" and make the opposite conclusion. Typically it's the former more often than the latter so I think we should probably stop doing it if we want it to stop. Secondly, even if he was the thugginnest thug that ever thugged, he didn't deserve to die and posting pics of someone looking "thuggish" or "not-thuggish" implies it's ok to kill people for acting a certain way.

Since you have extreme difficulty grasping my point, I'll spell it out:
Huckabee said that Brown would not have died if he hadn't acted like a thug. John Crawford was not acting in any way like a thug but he was murdered by the police anyway. I was rebutting the idea that "if you don't act like a thug, you're safe". Instead of typing it out, I posted a picture of a man who we all know was not acting like a thug but was murdered anyway, but apparently a picture is not worth a thousand words.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Since you have extreme difficulty grasping my point, I'll spell it out:
Huckabee said that Brown would not have died if he hadn't acted like a thug. John Crawford was not acting in any way like a thug but he was murdered by the police anyway. I was rebutting the idea that "if you don't act like a thug, you're safe". Instead of typing it out, I posted a picture of a man who we all know was not acting like a thug but was murdered anyway, but apparently a picture is not worth a thousand words.

Uh I think you're the bad point grasper here. Because if he ever took a pic where he was smoking weed or drinking alcohol or doing any so called "bad stuff" it would rebut your picture.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Alexzandvar posted:

The United States President isn't going to come out and go "yeah you guys are right, gently caress the police." Presidents give weak statements because giving strong ones tends to cause unintended things to happen. You think the Republicans are bad now? If Obama came out and fully supported the protestors and told the police to gently caress off White America would probably get a lynch mob going outside the white house.

That single statement would make up for all of his failings as President. Or almost, at least.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ninjasaurus posted:

That single statement would make up for all of his failings as President. Or almost, at least.

This would possbily make him one of the greatest presidents ever.

And a lot of the Militia's heads would explode.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

zoux posted:

Uh I think you're the bad point grasper here. Because if he ever took a pic where he was smoking weed or drinking alcohol or doing any so called "bad stuff" it would rebut your picture.

No, I grasped the point which I was making just fine, thanks. If you have a problem with the way I made a point which I was not intending to make, that's really your hangup. John Crawford was on video in Walmart, so that pic of him being a thug before getting shot is nonexistent.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

This would possbily make him one of the greatest presidents ever.

And a lot of the Militia's heads would explode.

Obama venturing even halfway into "Angry Black Man" territory for the rest of his Presidency would be the most satisfying thing he could do at this point. :allears:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Alexzandvar posted:

The United States President isn't going to come out and go "yeah you guys are right, gently caress the police." Presidents give weak statements because giving strong ones tends to cause unintended things to happen. You think the Republicans are bad now? If Obama came out and fully supported the protestors and told the police to gently caress off White America would probably get a lynch mob going outside the white house.

I hope White America spares me too.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Alexzandvar posted:

No ones asking for that. In earnest at least.

Much in the way that no ones asking police officers to get prosecuted for every shooting like a civilian would.

The point is we've gone far FAR beyond the already very wide latitude politicians get for making "can't we all just get along?" statements after certain incidents, and we've gone far FAR beyond the already very VERY wide latitude police have for justifying deaths in their line of service.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ninjasaurus posted:

Obama venturing even halfway into "Angry Black Man" territory for the rest of his Presidency would be the most satisfying thing he could do at this point. :allears:

The rest of his presidency would probably be 2 weeks, considering the already huge hankering for impeachment on the right.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Well, the Cruz/King/Bachmann/Gohmert caucus won a significant victory from the GOP leadership today. Boehner's plan was to extend DHS funding until mid-March. Thanks to the principled stand of these True Conservatives, funding will only be extended until mid-February.

Checkmate, RINOs :smug:

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Intel&Sebastian posted:

No ones asking for that.

Wrong.

Alexzandvar posted:

The rest of his presidency would probably be 2 weeks, considering the already huge hankering for impeachment on the right.

Realistically they wouldn't be able to impeach him for saying that. And even if they did, Diamond Joe would pick up the mantle and that's easily something I could imagine him saying.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

No ones asking for that.

Much in the way that no ones asking police officers to get prosecuted for every shooting like a civilian would.

The point is we've gone far FAR beyond the already very wide latitude politicians get for making "can't we all just get along?" statements after certain incidents, and we've gone far FAR beyond the already very VERY wide latitude police have for justifying deaths in their line of service.

The point of the president is to be a uniter, not divider. Or, at least that's what every white person expects and if you think Obama is dumb enough to commit political suicide by going after these incidents with an axe you are nuts. He's already worked on executive orders to create oversight and push more on body camera's, I value those actions far more than public statements.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What was that one really baller speech on race he gave, I can't remember the incident that caused it but it was a really heartfelt and personal story that I felt resonated with a lot of people. Not the one during the 08 campaign.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"Anyone who understands justice should understand that this is a moment where change must happen."
-deBlasio

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Alexzandvar posted:

This is stupid. Giving tepid responses because Congress and Republicans, who have literally gone "gently caress You Obama" since Day 1, might say "gently caress You Obama" some more, is stupid.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Well I had to edit in "in earnest". I'm probably wrong about that too.

I'm not asking for it, I'm asking for a response that makes some sort of sense in the face of what's happening. Which is people being killed in circumstances that AT LEAST obviously warrant a trial, and not getting one. It's executions in the streets and the first black president, a democrat, and a supposed community organizer can't find the courage to even approach calling it what it is.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

bassguitarhero posted:

This is stupid. Giving tepid responses because Congress and Republicans, who have literally gone "gently caress You Obama" since Day 1, might say "gently caress You Obama" some more, is stupid.

I know the popular sentiment is to let the Republicans go hang, and that's mostly what Obama has done lately. But as far as voters are concerned they don't notice executive orders, they notice what Obama says. It's much wiser of Obama to give tepid public communications, and then work on executive orders to fix the problem.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Well I had to edit in "in earnest". I'm probably wrong about that too.

I'm not asking for it, I'm asking for a response that makes some sort of sense in the face of what's happening. Which is people being killed in circumstances that AT LEAST obviously warrant a trial, and not getting one. It's executions in the streets and the first black president, a democrat, and a supposed community organizer can't find the courage to even approach calling it what it is.

It's my fantasy for him to say something like that but in reality I would at least want him to do what you're suggesting. I mean, it's - and here's that phrase again - the best we can hope for at this point. But I guess not, in light of his actual response.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

Well, the Cruz/King/Bachmann/Gohmert caucus won a significant victory from the GOP leadership today. Boehner's plan was to extend DHS funding until mid-March. Thanks to the principled stand of these True Conservatives, funding will only be extended until mid-February.

Checkmate, RINOs :smug:

So when is the vote on this proposal?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Oh poo poo, she just straight up called out the conflict of interests when a DA is prosecuting a cop.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Alexzandvar posted:

The point of the president is to be a uniter, not divider. Or, at least that's what every white person expects and if you think Obama is dumb enough to commit political suicide by going after these incidents with an axe you are nuts. He's already worked on executive orders to create oversight and push more on body camera's, I value those actions far more than public statements.

I'm not real thrilled with being forcibly united with a bunch of people who were just handed 2 very clear examples of instances where they can murder people like me and not even get charged. What's causing more division? The president in all his CRAZY AUDACITY saying "Hey maybe we could take the idea of a trial in these instances more seriously?" or approaching these two situations by implying that "the community" is just as culpable as the police? You can make a statement about abuse of power that doesn't incite a riot or make your average white person froth with rage.

The actions are certainly valuable, but I don't think it's any small thing to tell people the president of your country doesn't approve of the idea of killings never even getting a trial just because the person who did them was a cop.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 3, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Nation Doesn’t Know If It Can Take Another Bullshit Speech About Healing

http://www.theonion.com/articles/nation-doesnt-know-if-it-can-take-another-bullshit,37541/

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

skaboomizzy posted:

I know it's Eric Garner day, but I thought you'd all like to know the cop who shot 12-year-old Tamir Rice was a sobbing headcase who got axed from a smaller force before being employed by Cleveland's police.

Gautama H. Buddha that is ridiculous. And not just because it usually goes [too lovely for a major police force] -> [job with tiny town police]

quote:

"He could not follow simple directions, could not communicate clear thoughts nor recollections, and his handgun performance was dismal," according to the letter written by Deputy Chief Jim Polak of the Independence police.

The letter recommended that the department part ways with Loehmann, who went on to become a police officer with the Cleveland Division of Police.

"I do not believe time, nor training, will be able to change or correct the deficiencies," Polak said.

Loehmann's troubles began in 2012 while he attended the Cleveland Heights Police Academy. An issue with an on-again, off-again girlfriend caused Loehmann distress and, in one case, he fell asleep during training, according to a written report from Independence Police Sgt. Greg Tinnirello.

Tinnierello wrote that Loehmann "was distracted and was not following simple instructions" at the shooting range.

At one point, he went to the back of the range to reload his magazine and could not return to the line where he was supposed to shoot from, Tinnierello wrote. Loehmann appeared to be crying and was emotionally upset so Tinnierello said they would stop the exercise for the day.

Polak concluded his report by saying that Loehmann lacked the maturity to understand the severity of his breakdown on the shooting range.

"Unfortunately in law enforcement there are times when instructions need to be followed to the letter and I am under the impression that Ptl. Loehmann, under certain circumstances, will not react in the way instructed," Polak wrote.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

radical meme posted:

So when is the vote on this proposal?

Ted Yoho's Executive Amnesty Prevention Act will be voted on tomorrow. If that passed the House, Boehner will put the "CRomnibus" funding bill to a vote next Monday.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I practice law in Canada and for the life of me I just can't understand why Grand Juries even exist. They seem to unnecessarily muddle the whole process.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Meanwhile, in the far-away land of New York City, the guy who splattered fake blood on the Police Commissioner during the recent Ferguson-related protests is out on bail after serving two nights in jail. He faces sixteen charges, including two counts of felony second-degree assault, with a maximum of over 14 years in prison.

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “We have the ability to have a level of tolerance—breathing room, if you will.” ~ NYC Police Commission William Bratton, on their preparations for expected protests.

I'd like to see how this is hand-waved away as anything but purposefully twisting the knife and provoking some sort of reaction.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm not real thrilled with being forcibly united with a bunch of people who were just handed 2 very clear examples of instances where they can murder people like me and not even get charged. What's causing more division? The president in all his CRAZY AUDACITY saying "Hey maybe we could take the idea of a trial in these instances more seriously?" or approaching these two situations by implying that "the community" is just as culpable as the police? You can make a statement about abuse of power that doesn't incite a riot or make your average white person froth with rage.

White People, and Cops are extremely sensitive, the fact Obama's black means any statement that could possibly be interpreted as anything but neutral or weak will make them go ape poo poo. Sure Obama could come at a take a hard stance, but once again his executive orders point towards him caring about this and wanting to do something about it. If he went around harping on this like he did with his immigration order he would have the Republicans passing a bill called the "Give all Cops Abrams and A10's Act".

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Stultus Maximus posted:

Gautama H. Buddha that is ridiculous. And not just because it usually goes [too lovely for a major police force] -> [job with tiny town police]

See, he's going to get indicted and prison time because it'll be a lot easier to paint him as the 'bad apple'

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Monaghan posted:

I practice law in Canada and for the life of me I just can't understand why Grand Juries even exist. They seem to unnecessarily muddle the whole process.

As far as I can tell it gives a prosecutor cover when they don't want to straight up decline to press charges, and give assholes confusing terms and processes to throw around so they can talk like a trial actually happened. I don't really see any other point when Mike Brown and Eric Garner both end up with "No probable cause!".

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope Obama spends the entire rest of his 2 years giving executive orders and watching Republicans come up with dumber and dumber names for the bills to stop said orders.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Monaghan posted:

That's the entire point of the grand jury. Originally intended to act as a check on prosecutors needlessly bringing charges against people, now it's used by prosecutors to spike bringing charges against cops. The entire point of grand juries from the beginning has been to slow down and muddle the legal system.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Alexzandvar posted:

White People, and Cops are extremely sensitive, the fact Obama's black means any statement that could possibly be interpreted as anything but neutral or weak will make them go ape poo poo.

Well the inaction and lack of support just touched off a genuine riot in one city and massive protests in plenty of others. Are you telling me something to the left of neutral is going to make white people riot? Why should we care about the sensitivities of a group of people who are afraid of the blowback of someone being killed in dubious circumstances who they think had it coming and not care much at all about the sensitivities of a group of people being killed and watching their killers not even get charged.

quote:

Sure Obama could come at a take a hard stance, but once again his executive orders point towards him caring about this and wanting to do something about it.

It's a step in the right direction but I question the value of asking a Republican controlled congress to give money to help out their mental image of Satan burden the policemen they all love so much for shooting black people.

quote:

If he went around harping on this like he did with his immigration order he would have the Republicans passing a bill called the "Give all Cops Abrams and A10's Act".

They already passed that bill.

Other people's bad behavior should not dictate when good behavior is allowed.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 4, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The text copies of Obama's remarks failed to include the detail that when he said minority communities may not trust in the rule of law because of things like the Garner case, he was speaking at the White House's Tribal Nations Conference.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 4, 2014

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

bassguitarhero posted:

That's the entire point of the grand jury. Originally intended to act as a check on prosecutors needlessly bringing charges against people, now it's used by prosecutors to spike bringing charges against cops. The entire point of grand juries from the beginning has been to slow down and muddle the legal system.

Okay, but everything I've read indicates that a prosecutor gets an indictment nearly every time, unless they deliberately gently caress it up.

At this point, all it seems to do is add unnecessary expense to the process, especially if the defendant is paying for his own lawyer. Why not just leave it to the prosecutor's discretion and have a judge decide if the case has merit if/when it hit's trial.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Hey guys, I'm told you want to feel worse about everything going on in the world, so here are the comments from cops/emergency services personnel/fans who frequent police site PoliceOne.com on this link

http://www.policeone.com/Crowd-Control/articles/7921845-Lawyer-No-indictment-in-NYPD-in-custody-death/

For example:

quote:

Ok ladies and gentleman we all agree this a good day for cops in use of force incidents.
Very happy for the outcome for sure.
The man should not have resisted.

Somehow I'm hearing this song," put another log on the fire "
Watch your backs out there. Oh your fronts and sides too. Going to get nasty. Unless of course they let us do our job kick some thug rear end

quote:

@rdramsey...yep, BUT...the media keeps saying the officer did a CHOKE HOLD, like we're the WWF or something, NOT calling at a carotid restraint like it's supposed to be called.

Burn this bitch down!

quote:

If you can shout "I can't breath" you can probably breath!

quote:

People are sick and tired of thugs. Certain people better wake the hell up and stop supporting the thugs. 2 years 1 month before the head thug gets thrown out and hopefully a real POTUS gets elected.

quote:

Grabbing someone around the neck isnt a chokehold unless you are compressing the trachea or carotid arteries. Control the head and you control the body. Thats important with a big guy like him. He wasn't being choked because he was able to complain "I can't breath." repeatedly. If you are in a chokehold you can't speak.(Trust me on this one!)

quote:

For the record the suspect was taken down with what is called a SEATBELT HOLD MEAN IT IS DONE FROM THE OPPOSITE UNDER ARM AND OVER THE OPPOSITE SHOULDER. ITS WRESTLING MOVE, THE FACT THAT IT APPEAR IT WAS ON THE NECK AREA WAS BECAUSE OF THE HEIGHT OF THE SUSPECT. AS THE SUSPECT RISES THE COP HANDS MOVE UP. BUT BY NO WAY IT WAS A CHOKEHOLD.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

quote:

It ends on, of all things, a MLK Jr. quote and a call for the community to come together with the police to find a peaceful solution

Because that worked out pretty well for MLK.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Die in underway at grand central

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

quote:

People are sick and tired of thugs niggers. Certain people better wake the hell up and stop supporting the thugs niggers. 2 years 1 month before the head thug friend of the family gets thrown out and hopefully a real white male Republican POTUS gets elected.

Decoded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bassguitarhero posted:

I'm gonna lose my mind if Obama goes back in front of the cameras again to tell black folks to keep lying down and taking it.

What exactly would Obama playing into the Tea Party's fever dreams do exactly?

• Locked thread