Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That was a great episode. Gyankowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

quote:

AMS-129 Geara Zulu [Guards Type] (UC)

I loved how Sekai screams that his whole team is together and then Yuuma's backpack just gets blown up. That had to be on purpose. :allears:

I was really dreading the intro to this episode, but then Gyanko turned things around. Team G-Masters actually got some character development (a little late, but still), and Sakai continues to be the best character in the show. And Meijin came back to inject some much needed enthusiasm.

The fight, though... I enjoyed Lightning vs Mega Shiki, and thought it was kind of bullshit that the Mega Shiki went down in one hit. But then it didn't and I was happy! Similarly I was really disappointed when G-Bomber and Sword Victory seemed to go down also in one hit, but then they docked and I literally cheered because hahahaha holy poo poo they actually did it. :allears: :allears: :allears:

Burning Mode is basically Full Synchro, so even though I can already see it causing issues I can't really dislike it. Didn't seem very impressive compared to the original Speed Discharge or RG Mode reveal though.

Also there was something very darkly ironic about Mega Shiki dude screaming how he gave up his pride as a builder to win... and then suiciding on the Build Burning, a machine Sekai literally just stumbled across. I'd hope they'd do something with that, but considering how they've handled Sekai so far I highly doubt it.

Can't wait for Turn A typeThe END!
Alternating episode quality curse broken! :toot:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I want to see Gyanko's new gunpla yesterday! The Gyagya was pretty great, and a revision could be fine, but it could be an interesting opportunity for a new design.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

There was a part in Escaflowne where (Escaflowne spoilers)the Escaflowne is getting repaired, and Van, who had already "become one" with the thing, feels every bit like it's surgery without anesthesia and if surgery involved a complete replacement of skin. If something similar happens to Sekai, I would laugh while maintaining a horrified expression.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
So the guards type G.zulu is just the regular geara zulu with more ammo clips and Rob Liefeld pouches, looks pretty neat

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Guards Type has spiky shoulders, a bigger backpack and more Sleeves markings. There's also actually two kinds, the one you linked and one with shields.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I want to see Gyanko's new gunpla yesterday! The Gyagya was pretty great, and a revision could be fine, but it could be an interesting opportunity for a new design.

The HG's shield chakram things haven't shown up yet, so it's probably just a retool.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I don't think she's used the bladed Gelgoog style Gyan sword yet either?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Beam buzzsaw? I'll take it!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Oh my god I need a gif of the baby Beargguy wiggling on the Beargguy F's back. :3:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

That episode was fun as gently caress.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ImpAtom posted:

Except he also talked about how part of Gunpla Battle was building your own Gunpla too. It's really something they keep focusing on so I hope they acknowledge it at some point.

This is really the first time using someone else's work instead of your own has really come up like this since season one, though. The last time we had a similar situation to this was Kirara versus Sei & Reiji in the qualifiers for the 7th tournament. And even then, Sei was less upset by Kirara's admission that she didn't build her Gerbera Tetra than he was at the idea that she really didn't enjoy Gunpla at all.

And don't forget the one time that Sekai actually did use a Gunpla that he'd built himself, some rear end in a top hat from Osaka curbstomped it out of misplaced spite and basically told him "get the gently caress out, noob." Notably the same rear end in a top hat is the guy who supplied Sudou with his Pay to Win-Shiki, and didn't really seem to be bothered by the fact that someone else was coasting on his hard work (if anything, he was pleased at the idea that people would be impressed when his suit won, even though he wasn't piloting it himself).

It's not always a clear-cut "using your own work is always good, using someone else's work is always bad" thing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

W.T. Fits posted:

This is really the first time using someone else's work instead of your own has really come up like this since season one, though. The last time we had a similar situation to this was Kirara versus Sei & Reiji in the qualifiers for the 7th tournament. And even then, Sei was less upset by Kirara's admission that she didn't build her Gerbera Tetra than he was at the idea that she really didn't enjoy Gunpla at all.

And don't forget the one time that Sekai actually did use a Gunpla that he'd built himself, some rear end in a top hat from Osaka curbstomped it out of misplaced spite and basically told him "get the gently caress out, noob." Notably the same rear end in a top hat is the guy who supplied Sudou with his Pay to Win-Shiki, and didn't really seem to be bothered by the fact that someone else was coasting on his hard work (if anything, he was pleased at the idea that people would be impressed when his suit won, even though he wasn't piloting it himself).

It's not always a clear-cut "using your own work is always good, using someone else's work is always bad" thing.

Yeah let's not forget the entire deal with our previous Protags was one was a great builder but piloted like poo poo (Until the end of the show) so he handed it off to a stranger who couldn't care less about building (Til near the end of the show). There's no inherent sin to piloting another Gunpla. Team Captain was basically just having a big baby hissy fit over losing since this was his last shot at winning (in High school).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

This is really the first time using someone else's work instead of your own has really come up like this since season one, though.

No it isn't. Everyone else has built their own model except for Shimon who has a very specific reason for using someone else's model. It'd be weird if they brought it up and they just did nothing with it.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah let's not forget the entire deal with our previous Protags was one was a great builder but piloted like poo poo (Until the end of the show) so he handed it off to a stranger who couldn't care less about building (Til near the end of the show). There's no inherent sin to piloting another Gunpla. Team Captain was basically just having a big baby hissy fit over losing since this was his last shot at winning (in High school).

Except the end of that show was the guy learning to love building Gunpla and building his own and the guy who wasn't a good fighter becoming a good fighter. The end result wasn't "it isn't important." It was "both are important."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

No it isn't.

Ah, yes, that's right, let's list off all the times over the past nine episodes when people have called Sekai out on using the Build Burning Gundam he found instead of building his own gunpla.

Hrm, can't really think of anyone except Yuuma, who was more calling Sekai an idiot for being unable to accurately shoot a short-range stationary target with a world-level Gunpla than over the fact that he himself didn't actually build it. Also note that he never actually said that Sekai should build his own suit or pick something different to use.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I think there's a pretty big difference between characters like Reiji and Sekai who are beginners at Gunpla building and as such need to use robots made by more experienced builders, and a guy who threw a big hissy-fit because he lost and decided to pay someone to make a better robot for him because he's willing to sacrifice fun to win. It's basically the Renato brothers all over again.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 3, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Ah, yes, that's right, let's list off all the times over the past nine episodes when people have called Sekai out on using the Build Burning Gundam he found instead of building his own gunpla.

Hrm, can't really think of anyone except Yuuma, who was more calling Sekai an idiot for being unable to accurately shoot a short-range stationary target with a world-level Gunpla than over the fact that he himself didn't actually build it. Also note that he never actually said that Sekai should build his own suit or pick something different to use.

Nobody has called Sekai out on it. Which is exactly the problem Sekai has. He continues to not basically not have to interact with half the show, not even when his robot gets damaged. That doesn't apply to pretty much anyone else in the cast of the show so far. He could be a late bloomer but they've passed up chances to do much with it so far, even after the G-Muse episode. He's basically got a metric shitload of plot armor even compared to the last-series protagonists.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

That's kind of the problem. It's not that it's an inherent sin or anything to not build your own toy, it's that nobody is even addressing it. Sekai is in desperate need of any sort of characterization he can get, and "beginner learning to enjoy gunpla" is by far the most obvious route to take.

We are nine episodes in and he still doesn't care about gunpla beyond it being a good way to fight. He even says this in his motivation to hit the nationals.

EDIT: poo poo, even something as basic as Yuuma tutoring him would be huge for both characters, and let the show turn into even more of a goofy gunpla commercial.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 3, 2014

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Nobody has called Sekai out on it. Which is exactly the problem Sekai has. He continues to not basically not have to interact with half the show, not even when his robot gets damaged. That doesn't apply to pretty much anyone else in the cast of the show so far. He could be a late bloomer but they've passed up chances to do much with it so far, even after the G-Muse episode. He's basically got a metric shitload of plot armor even compared to the last-series protagonists.

Yeah, but this episode and previous one's have established that "Model Damage Level set to B" is the problem here, not Sekai. All the "damage" the Build Burning has sustained up to now hasn't been actual "oh my god I need to repair my precious gunpla" level stuff like it was in the previous season. At worst, he's apparently had to pop an arm back on once or twice.

And Sudou's conversation with Akita in this episode has hinted that this isn't going to be something they're going to be able to ignore addressing for that much longer. Nationals are played at Damage Level A.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think that only serves to reinforce how dumb the damage levels are, outside of training purposes.

Especially since to the viewer it looks like those things are getting wrecked in the more intense fights anyways! Like Gyanko for instance, sounds like her gunpla was damaged beyond repair, to say nothing of the Build Burning constantly losing pieces and it never being acknowledged.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

That's kind of the problem. It's not that it's an inherent sin or anything to not build your own toy, it's that nobody is even addressing it. Sekai is in desperate need of any sort of characterization he can get, and "beginner learning to enjoy gunpla" is by far the most obvious route to take.

We are nine episodes in and he still doesn't care about gunpla beyond it being a good way to fight. He even says this in his motivation to hit the nationals.

He also is winning battles based off his Gunpla's durability. I don't mean in the broad sense, I mean that the last two major fights he's survived because his Gunpla was better built than his opponent's, not because of his own skills.

Which is fairly traditional Gundam territory but it's almost always addressed. From Ramba Ral telling Amuro to remember that his Gundam, not his skills, won the day to Celestial Being being carried by the super-Gundams against more talented opponents. So far Sekai has that but without it being recognized in-show.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Now I'm sad there isn't a running segment where Yuuma and Fumina give tips on gunpla building. Sekai wants to try out panel lining, and Fumina helpfully lends him an official Real Touch Gundam Marker. Then Yuuma snarks that a real pro uses a wash (or a Pour Type Gundam Marker if they want to go full advertisement) and then Sekai misunderstands and tries washing the Build Burning in paint.

It writes itself.

EDIT: The Build Burning starts off perfect but is gradually mangled by Sekai's clumsy first efforts. The midseason upgrade is Yuuma remaking the drat thing.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 3, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Now I'm sad there isn't a running segment where Yuuma and Fumina give tips on gunpla building. Sekai wants to try out panel lining, and Fumina helpfully lends him an official Real Touch Gundam Marker. Then Yuuma snarks that a real pro uses a wash (or a Pour Type Gundam Marker if they want to go full advertisement) and then Sekai misunderstands and tries washing the Build Burning in paint.

It writes itself.

EDIT: The Build Burning starts off perfect but is gradually mangled by Sekai's clumsy first efforts. The midseason upgrade is Yuuma remaking the drat thing.

That has to be an upcoming episode. There's no way it couldn't be if they have any brains at all.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Well, at least the Build Burning going to the big tournament that will likely be played on Gunpla TV, Sei is likely to see it and realize, "Oh poo poo, that's the one that hurts the person using it, I better warn him before he loses an arm or something."

Then he spends an entire episode being distracted by a hobby shop instead of doing that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pyroi posted:

Well, at least the Build Burning going to the big tournament that will likely be played on Gunpla TV, Sei is likely to see it and realize, "Oh poo poo, that's the one that hurts the person using it, I better warn him before he loses an arm or something."

Then he spends an entire episode being distracted by a hobby shop instead of doing that.

That would be the best way to do a Sei cameo.

I'd sort of like to see the other characters but at the same time I'd prefer they develop the cast they have instead. The Meijin hanging out in the background making ridiculous comments is the best way to do returning characters.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I really enjoyed the episode but my favourite part was a little thing, which was how Yuuma reacts right after they win.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I really enjoyed the episode but my favourite part was a little thing, which was how Yuuma reacts right after they win.

"Sekai, we won!"

Yeah, that was a nice touch. :allears:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yo Suga you dont slap cancer patients around :mad:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that her hair doesn't look attached to her head at all.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that her hair doesn't look attached to her head at all.

Hey don't mock people with severe receding hairlines. There's nothing they can do about it.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Going back through the episode to see what caused the cut on Sekai's cheek (it was one of the G-Bomber's missiles) reminded me that we've already seen an instance of Plavsky Particles directly affecting people: the Dark Matter Exia fight.

Upon which, a thought occurred to me regarding burning mode: Plavsky Particles tend to glow orange when they go beyond their regular purpose of animating plastic, ie: PPSE-brand Mind Control SpecsTM, A Baoa Qu's surprise appearance, and most importantly teleporting dudes to and from Arian.

Maybe Sei was trying to build a gundam-shaped stargate to Reiji by harnessing the pure concentrated power of fighting spirit?

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:
Gyanko's resolute and blushing smile is a miracle of the universe.

Also, Sleggar MKII's got a beastly bitch slapping arm on him, nice.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It was a cool episode.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

3 posted:

Going back through the episode to see what caused the cut on Sekai's cheek (it was one of the G-Bomber's missiles) reminded me that we've already seen an instance of Plavsky Particles directly affecting people: the Dark Matter Exia fight.

Upon which, a thought occurred to me regarding burning mode: Plavsky Particles tend to glow orange when they go beyond their regular purpose of animating plastic, ie: PPSE-brand Mind Control SpecsTM, A Baoa Qu's surprise appearance, and most importantly teleporting dudes to and from Arian.

Maybe Sei was trying to build a gundam-shaped stargate to Reiji by harnessing the pure concentrated power of fighting spirit?

I fully support this theory.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm really glad that Sleggar Goes Slappers

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm curious to see how Sleggar manages to ram himself into a Big Zam in this show. It has to happen at least once.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
He did, and came out the other side of the I-field portal

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I'm curious to see how Sleggar manages to ram himself into a Big Zam in this show. It has to happen at least once.
I have a feeling there will be a one-off episode where this happens. And then get played for laughs.

Speaking of laughs, I will burst out laughing if the Turn-A Trombe's user is voiced by Tetsu Inada.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Dude if black turn A's music overrides everything else in the scene it'll be cool

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Best episode yet. 5 minutes in, Gyanko proves why she is the best character. Not-sleggar bright-slapping someone, the return of everyone's favourite meijin an build-burning super mode :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

If Gyanko and Sekai don't fight together with the flames on Build Burning's back becoming a heart, possibly with a holographic king, then this show will have messed up big time.

• Locked thread