Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Infiltrate! Alexei Gang (1238) [True]
Wil attempts to gain access to Alexei Sergein, however...
1238 Wil infiltrates Alexei's Gang
Wil infiltrates the gang of Alexei, possessor of the Egg.

The branching point between history and fiction is who you choose to go along with Wil on this trip.

Sure, I'll go with you, Wil. It'll be easy for me, since I was going to join Alexei's party before I met you. And besides...
Besides...?
Oh, it's nothing. It'll be strange if we go together, so I'll go on ahead!

Pretty good Sacred Spear this time around--their max durability isn't great.

Most of the scenario is the same; no real dialogue changes... Until you get to Kyle. Last time, Tyler and Narcisse played it cool and took Kyle with us.

(Magical Realm)

Hurry!

...and then Kyle runs off on his own.

Is the Quell that important?
Don't tell me you've become greedy, now. The right thing for you to do is shut up and do as I say!
He's just a child. Let him go.

Unfortunately for everyone involved, Alexei Sergein is the kind of person who'd attack a child for a petty injury to his pride.

(Field of Battle)

None of these Henchman enemies are individually that dangerous. I cast Reviva--there's just one character on the field this time, so let's be cautious.

With Cannonball equipped, Wide Swing is fast enough to lay them all flat before they can act again.

(Lazy translation. The word that romanizes as "amai" is both "sweet" and "naive" in Japanese, depending on context.)

And then we jump back onto the field.

Well, that's not a problem--we know Wide Swing is faster and that Wide Swing will end the fight. Let's clear the next set of speedbumps.

Nope--they go faster and she goes down. So we reset and try again. No need for Reviva, the battle ending will reset it anyway.

Except that Trap is faster and can combo. Okay, let's try this again.

It's hard to tell, really, but the enemies seem to get slightly stronger every time. Cordelia will trade first turns with them sometimes in the first, but she's almost always slower in the second. Wide Swing only takes out two enemies in the second second fight, but Twin Dragon outspeeds the third and ends the fight.

...and then in the third fight, they're even faster, and combo for 500 damage. Down.

You can get to three or four rounds, but you're simply rolling too many dice--the enemies have about five different combos they can pull out, and any of them will kill you outright, even in the best gear you have available. You can't cast defensive spells faster than them, and no matter how long you keep fighting, there are always more of them.

You can come in with Stun resistance, but then they still have combos. You can come in with higher HP, but they'll still sometimes triple combo you. And even if somehow you get past all of that, your weapons will break and your LP will run out.

Even a great hero won't be able to stand up to continuous attacks by multiple enemies.

This is beginning to be rather troublesome.

I'm going to the granite quarry. If you value your life, don't follow me.

No music.

Wil... Your mother...
Don't talk. You'll only worsen your wounds.
...didn't kill him. Alexei, it was Alexei...
Okay, okay. Now don't talk anymore.

And with a brilliant prismatic flash, Cordelia's Anima leaves her body.

(Absorbed in Prayer)

Calm down, Wil. Hate only calls evil Anima. Let us send Cordelia off peacefully.

(The Outside World)

Alexei didn't even realize her injuries were mortal. He killed her on accident, and all because she was a bit less polite than he'd prefer.

It's brutal, petty, pointless, and abrupt, and even if we stick to the worlds where she went, it could have gone differently very, very easily. How you'll take this is all a matter of perspective. People who die don't always get glorious deaths. SF2 tells its story as a history, and abrupt and outsized and seemingly meaningless consequences to small decisions are a part of life.

The realism of the situation doesn't mean you have to like it, though. It's worth knowing what really happened, but there's no real reason to do this version of the scenario, since there's no change to the chronicle entry or dialogue past this point... But even if you send Tyler or Narcisse instead, Cordelia never has any plot sequence dialogue past this point. Whether she lives or dies, there is where she leaves the stage.

Next (Chronological): Showdown! Alexei (1239)
Next (Knights): Showdown! Alexei (1239)

Einander fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The big gently caress you in this game. No warning, after a long, boring slog of a city, and it punishes you for taking the 'good' choice.

Off the top of my head, it's probably the third most painful game death in my memory, behind only Aeris and General Leo.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh, so this is what people were complaining about in the Saga Frontier 1 thread. I see the complaint was not a lie, you get punished for choosing without having any idea what's to come. It's basically a 1/3 chance of loving yourself over, perhaps even higher since Cordelia has been extremely competent and a likely choice for the player.

I don't think it even works as an emotional blow because her characterization wasn't exactly strong, it just feels like the creators of the game spiting the player for choosing who they didn't want them to. I say this as a LP reader though, I'm going to guess that it actually works in an emotional level if you're actually playing the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

IIRC if you take the other path she'll marry Wil off screen and live to triple digit age.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

dis astranagant posted:

IIRC if you take the other path she'll marry Wil off screen and live to triple digit age.

While Will becomes an absolute dick in his middle age. Really, it's probably kinder to kill her off. :colbert:

But honestly, I forgot this could happen. I kept thinking of a different event with the Knights Family when people were talking about this. The egg sucks. :(

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I dunno, I kind of like it? I like it mostly because I'm not playing, if I were I would be hella annoyed with this outcome because there really isn't any warning. But just watching someone else play it, with the framing of this all as history, I think it fits in really well. You don't exactly get warnings about people dying in actual history short of finding an assassination attempt, and things end suddenly all the time. Thematically, it falls in line with what it seems the game wants to do.

Still a dick move for the player tho.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh, so this is what people were complaining about in the Saga Frontier 1 thread. I see the complaint was not a lie, you get punished for choosing without having any idea what's to come. It's basically a 1/3 chance of loving yourself over, perhaps even higher since Cordelia has been extremely competent and a likely choice for the player.

I don't think it even works as an emotional blow because her characterization wasn't exactly strong, it just feels like the creators of the game spiting the player for choosing who they didn't want them to. I say this as a LP reader though, I'm going to guess that it actually works in an emotional level if you're actually playing the game.

It's not necessarily rough now, but it gets pretty bad when you see the repercussions down the line.

I'm pretty sure there's some town/NPC chatter that hints that Alexei and Cordelia have some sort of history before this (something to do with her parents?), but I'll be damned if I know where it is.

I... wasn't aware this was the "canon" outcome though. Cordelia's awesome :smith:

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 4, 2014

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
As Einander pointed out, it's kind of cool from a storytelling point of view, just because it reinforces Saga Frontier 2's framing as a history that just doesn't care about your expectations. However, it absolutely sucks when you're playing the game. This was the reason I had to restart the game the first time, because I thought Cody was just the bee's knees and lost her as a result. And it was the first time I realized just how loving long Saga Frontier 2's intro sequences are.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

inthesto posted:

As Einander pointed out, it's kind of cool from a storytelling point of view, just because it reinforces Saga Frontier 2's framing as a history that just doesn't care about your expectations.

Yup.

Just found my copy and manual of the game. The Characters page has the subtitle "Those living desperately, lost in the cracks of history". This is the quote that stuck with me when I first played, especially after this part...

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Bellmaker posted:

It's not necessarily rough now, but it gets pretty bad when you see the repercussions down the line.

I'm pretty sure there's some town/NPC chatter that hints that Alexei and Cordelia have some sort of history before this (something to do with her parents?), but I'll be damned if I know where it is.

I... wasn't aware this was the "canon" outcome though. Cordelia's awesome :smith:

Yeah, they intended for the canon ending to be Cody dying in the City of Night. It's one of the few times in games I'm fully willing to say "gently caress the canon ending" and go off on the alternate bit because Cody's just the coolest. She's got the design of Little Red Riding Hood with a gently caress-off spear. She's the best. More importantly, which scenario are you planning on going with? It has all the importance of a head of cabbage in the middle of a field somewhere outside Vancouver, but I'm curious.

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014
This is one thing that the SaGa series does quite often. Any time there's a branching path of outcomes, be they happy or sad, good or evil, triumphant or bittersweet... Odds are the canon result follows the darkest course of events, be they a character dying or opting to engage in acts of selfishness at the expense of others.

This is not to say that SaGa canon is filled with assholes, just a reminder that the characters you are guiding through their adventures have their own take on events that occur. It reminds us that they (With certain exceptions) are human.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
One more great thing about Cordelia is that, with a little bit of thought, her Red Riding Hood design isn't strange at all. In a world where nobody uses metal weapons, it's not that unreasonable to be wearing armor that's mostly cloth. Combine that with the fact that cloth armor seems to help spellcasting abilities, and it makes sense to be using that to cover for your weaknesses if your physical fighting skills are good enough - and we've already seen that Cody is one of the best spear users in the entire game.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

I don't think anyone's too surprised about the whole romance angle if she survives, considering that I've labeled the two sides "Knights" and "Gustave," but come on guys, spoiler policy!

That said, neither comment erring on the side of spoilers really needs changing, and no one talked about the Big Thing in this last update until it happened (in this thread, anyway), so I'm pretty happy with the thread's adherence to it so far. Just be careful, okay?

TARDISman posted:

Yeah, they intended for the canon ending to be Cody dying in the City of Night. It's one of the few times in games I'm fully willing to say "gently caress the canon ending" and go off on the alternate bit because Cody's just the coolest. She's got the design of Little Red Riding Hood with a gently caress-off spear. She's the best. More importantly, which scenario are you planning on going with? It has all the importance of a head of cabbage in the middle of a field somewhere outside Vancouver, but I'm curious.

There's only one thing to really show off on the canon side of things that you can't by keeping Cordelia alive; she may not have story dialogue, but she has incidental "talk to her at the tavern" sort of dialogue and she'll grow gameplay-wise. Can't exactly say "strongest character in the game (relative to party" and never back it up, can I?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FeyerbrandX posted:

The big gently caress you in this game. No warning, after a long, boring slog of a city, and it punishes you for taking the 'good' choice.

As someone has never played but is just following along, I hope for plenty more dick moves. This works incredibly well from a narrative point of view.

I love the way this game is treating history. The clean (and often wrong) timeline versus the messy realities of what history is built on; and how wrong the big picture can be. It's both Nihilistic in the sense that all these important people and events are just swept under the rug in view of history, but also serves as its own counterpoint as you see that those people were actually real people, and how much they matter.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Chuu posted:

As someone has never played but is just following along, I hope for plenty more dick moves. This works incredibly well from a narrative point of view.

I love the way this game is treating history. The clean (and often wrong) timeline versus the messy realities of what history is built on; and how wrong the big picture can be. It's both Nihilistic in the sense that all these important people and events are just swept under the rug in view of history, but also serves as its own counterpoint as you see that those people were actually real people, and how much they matter.

I can think of... two, endgame difficulty spike not included. Both are on the Knights side of the story and are pretty similar in style.

This game is no Riki's Quest, is what I'm saying.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

I can think of... two, endgame difficulty spike not included. Both are on the Knights side of the story and are pretty similar in style.

I still have nightmares about the entire last third of Riki's story.

Einander posted:

There's only one thing to really show off on the canon side of things that you can't by keeping Cordelia alive; she may not have story dialogue, but she has incidental "talk to her at the tavern" sort of dialogue and she'll grow gameplay-wise. Can't exactly say "strongest character in the game (relative to party" and never back it up, can I?

:neckbeard:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

KataraniSword posted:

I never beat Saga Frontier entirely because of Riki's loving quest.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Put me on the long list of people who got the game, played Gustave's side, and gave up on Will's first scenario.

Also I have no idea if this counts as a spoiler or not, so if you want me to remove it just say so. It's a question that I've had about the game for years.

So the marketing for this game in America *heavily* pushed the 'There's different plotlines! Change history! Both stories effect the other!' angle. It's the reason why I picked it up in the first place. Does stuff like that actually happen? Is there multiple plotlines/endings? Do the two quests effect the other? So far the only real "choice" is having Cody die or not, and it doesn't sound like it effects much game-wise.

TheUkuleleFanboy
Sep 2, 2011
No, no, and there's like one thing that barely matters

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

TheUkuleleFanboy posted:

No, no, and there's like one thing that barely matters

I had a feeling. So much for my younger self trusting magazine ads. :v:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Wandering Knitter posted:

I had a feeling. So much for my younger self trusting magazine ads. :v:

I think the big thing about SaGa Frontier II's advertising was more focused on rewriting history, and while all of Gustave's storyline is in the Chronicle from the beginning, none of the Knight's story is in the Chronicle until you complete the related chapter. I'd say it's less like Radiant Historia or Chrono Trigger where you have multiple endings and history changing based on your choices, and more like Final Fantasy Tactics, where there's the "known history" and "true history that you must discover."

EDIT: In retrospect, it makes sense why Gustave was central to almost all promotional materials, hell I didn't even know about Wil until I ran out of Gustave chapters.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 4, 2014

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

TARDISman posted:

I think the big thing about SaGa Frontier II's advertising was more focused on rewriting history, and while all of Gustave's storyline is in the Chronicle from the beginning, none of the Knight's story is in the Chronicle until you complete the related chapter. I'd say it's less like Radiant Historia or Chrono Trigger where you have multiple endings and history changing based on your choices, and more like Final Fantasy Tactics, where there's the "known history" and "true history that you must discover."

EDIT: In retrospect, it makes sense why Gustave was central to almost all promotional materials, hell I didn't even know about Wil until I ran out of Gustave chapters.

Yeah, they really tried to sell the game as "It's like Chrono Trigger!". Which is why I bought it. Also the reason why I bought Chrono Cross. :suicide:

How is Radiant Historia? I'm a sucker for games with multiple ends and choices along the way. :allears:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Yeah, they really tried to sell the game as "It's like Chrono Trigger!". Which is why I bought it. Also the reason why I bought Chrono Cross. :suicide:

How is Radiant Historia? I'm a sucker for games with multiple ends and choices along the way. :allears:

It is pretty terrific, music's beautiful, combat system's great, and the story's pretty interesting stuff. The alternate endings range from heartbreaking to hilarious. It's tied with World Ends With You for my favorite original DS game.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Whoa; I had no idea that you could get Cordelia killed in that scenario. It's a pretty big dick move given that the game gives you excellent spears a little bit later in Wil's story.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

TARDISman posted:

It is pretty terrific, music's beautiful, combat system's great, and the story's pretty interesting stuff. The alternate endings range from heartbreaking to hilarious. It's tied with World Ends With You for my favorite original DS game.

And the protagonist being awesomely competent, cant forget that.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Pretty good game and the combat system's interesting, albeit hilariously broken once you get a certain character.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, this is where I put the game down and walked away. Because yeah, narrative, history, storytelling, yadda yadda yadda.

Don't loving care; Cody was one of my best characters, and I really liked her and was kinda hoping that her and Wil would end up together at some point down the road. Nope! You picked her to go along with Wil to infiltrate the gang, so gently caress you, she dies! Good job there, player! :argh:

The only way to avoid the outcome is to know in advance what will happen, which you can only do if you've either played the game before or read the strategy guide. Ironically, I actually did buy the guide for this game, but had resolved not to look things up in it unless I was totally, absolutely stuck. So I get to this part, go to check the guide to see if there's something you're supposed to do to keep Cody alive.

Turns out the thing you're supposed to do is not use her for this bit. And this was in the days before I had been introduced to the concept of "have multiple back up saves." :suicide:

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

The game isn't very hard and it consistently changes your roster around in the first place, so I honestly don't see how it's such a big deal.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Heavy neutrino posted:

The game isn't very hard and it consistently changes your roster around in the first place, so I honestly don't see how it's such a big deal.

People like Cody. People who like characters prefer said characters to stay alive. :shrug:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, that's the thing. Cody is like the one person in the entire game thusfar that isn't some variation of raging rear end in a top hat, aside from Wil's aunt Nina (who we're never actually seeing again, as far as I recall). She's also the best character you can get for the first third of the game, so people who enjoy strong units like her, too!

So naturally, not only does she die if you pick her for the scouting mission, it has been stated elsewhere that this is game canon. It is canon that the only unquestionably enjoyable person so far gets shanked for no good reason. With no prior warning. And no dramatic leadup or sendoff like other popular Squaresoft corpses had gotten at that time - Aeris and Leo had big to-dos about their deaths, and you knew Tellah and Galuf had one foot in the grave before they even threw themselves in front of the plot train.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Radiant Historia is a lot of fun! I approve of any game where you should be thinking and using spells in every single battle. (This is also why the more recent Persona Q is awesome and everyone should purchase it!) The story's a bit shallow thematically, but it's told well and the characters are all pretty good. The fact that two of your most faithful companions are generic mook-types is pretty inspired.

W.T. Fits posted:

Yeah, this is where I put the game down and walked away. Because yeah, narrative, history, storytelling, yadda yadda yadda.

Don't loving care; Cody was one of my best characters, and I really liked her and was kinda hoping that her and Wil would end up together at some point down the road. Nope! You picked her to go along with Wil to infiltrate the gang, so gently caress you, she dies! Good job there, player! :argh:

The only way to avoid the outcome is to know in advance what will happen, which you can only do if you've either played the game before or read the strategy guide. Ironically, I actually did buy the guide for this game, but had resolved not to look things up in it unless I was totally, absolutely stuck. So I get to this part, go to check the guide to see if there's something you're supposed to do to keep Cody alive.

Turns out the thing you're supposed to do is not use her for this bit. And this was in the days before I had been introduced to the concept of "have multiple back up saves." :suicide:

I don't want to isolate you here, but I think this is kind of symptomatic of an interfacing problem with game storytelling.

See, the thing is, it's enormously difficult for a writer to make a good/bad outcome split dependent on player action without players parsing it as a judgment. "I should have done (X)." Most writers, therefore, utilize this--if there's a bad outcome, then you could have foreseen it, and it turned out badly because you hosed it up. Alternatively, the unexpected outcome is meant to be a gutpunch, something that makes you aware of the import of your actions and that will affect future decisions. (It's basically the decision equivalent of the first death in a slasher film--'Watch Out! No One Is Safe!') And because writers usually take this path of least resistance, players instinctively internalize this model of player agency.

Spec Ops: The Line is the best example of where this breaks down. Spec Ops is about a genre and a person, yes, but that person is not you. Walker makes the decisions he makes on his own, and they're written to present the genre in a certain light, but the fact you're controlling the game doesn't mean that the game's judgment of Walker or its genre lights on you. If you think of The Line as a polemic against FPS gamers, then you're overestimating your agency in the matter. The Line is an indictment of FPS writers.

Cordelia's death makes a certain kind of sense--Alexei is stupid and vindictive, and Cordelia is probably not what we think of when we think "infiltrator." But it isn't meant to reflect on your decision. Yes, it's arbitrary, and yes, it's unfair. I completely sympathize with any frustration it causes. But it's meant to make you frustrated. It's stupid and arbitrary and abrupt because Alexei is a cowardly child with a power he doesn't understand and never earned, and senseless, wasteful deaths are a natural consequence of that kind of person getting power.

SF2 is a game about history, and Alexei is a petty dictator. Cordelia's death is the political resized to the personal.

That said, while I see what they were trying to do, it should have been executed better than this.

The option to save Cordelia strikes me as an attempt for SF2 to have its cake and eat it too--to present what really happened, and to let us get greater insight on certain later decisions, while still allowing players to use this powerful character with a cool design. It's not a very good one, because it triggers the "bad outcome on one path, good on the other = developer is judging me on bad path" instinct, and it means that while Cordelia is present later for most players, she isn't MEANT to be, and therefore doesn't get much dialogue or development past this point. Instead of the best of both worlds, it ends up being the worst of both.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Showdown! Alexei (1239)
Wil goes after Alexei. They duel at the quarry.
1239 Wil - Showdown with Alexei
Wil defeats Alexei in the granite quarry. However, Aunt Nina does not survive.

(Erlking)

I take a moment to change the group; after Infiltrate! without Cordelia, the character who went is at the front of your party, followed by Wil, Nina, and whichever one didn't go. (A moment later, I switched Tyler back to the front, since he's beefier and wants to be closer anyway.)

Rolling in the age increases from both Infiltrate! (1238) and Showdown! (1239):

Wil and Cordelia aged from 16 to 19 and have +24 HP, +5 WP, +3 SP.
Narcisse aged from 31 to 34 and has +15 HP, +1 WP, and +1 SP.
Tyler aged from 26 to 29 and has +28 HP, +1 WP, and +1 SP. (I think I missed an HP increase somewhere in Infiltrate!, because that is weirdly high.)
Nina aged from 46 to 49 and has -12 HP and -1 WP.

In terms of enemies, this entire area doesn't have too much. Sand Rhinos are the same as ever. I believe it's the first to introduce Housekeepers (they look like flat snails, essentially), which can block attacks but are otherwise pretty harmless. They can also drop a decent shield. The crocodile things are Ammits, which are fairly tough and can use Soul Crush to cause instant death. The Dirt Hoppers aren't that dangerous. (But you should generally keep an eye on Hopper types--Pegs and Hoppers have stronger variants that use the same sprites.)

I take the route upward. There are two bridges, and on the other end of the north one, you'll notice the little metal ring there. If you interact with it...

...the bridge will explode, becoming permanently uncrossable. This will also knock the higher bag off of the ledge. There's also one on the lower bridge. You aren't allowed to blow up both bridges, because you need to come back here and you need to cross at least ONE of the bridges. Both bridges give you a Silver Staff for blowing them up, and since the top bridge is the longer way around, you should usually blow it up.

I'd forgotten the Silver Staff was here... So Wil can basically always use the good stuff too if you spec him as a Staff user, provided you know about the two Silver Staffs. You have to go further in before you can actually pick it up, though.

This bird is the first optional boss of the game. Every single bird enemy in this area is the same optional boss, and they respawn when you leave and enter a screen.

You think I'm joking, don't you.

In honor of the first optional boss, let's listen to something other than the normal battle theme! This is Rhapsody 1, from 'Piano Pieces "SF2" ~ Rhapsody on a Theme of SaGa Frontier 2'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTuSHy76fgg

This ugly bastard is a Griffon. It has 22972 HP, 12 LP, surprisingly middling Flash and stat-increase stats, and if you fight one you will probably be murdered.

"optional boss" may seem like an exaggeration if you just look at the stats on paper. 22972 HP, in particular, isn't THAT much by later standards. The problem is that only two teams can come here. Wil's team has awful weapons and low stats. The other team has one actual party member (if a strong one) and two filler characters.

If you decide you want to kill a Griffon, Wil's team is the one to do it with.

Mostly because there's four of you, and Reviva exists.

The main problem with Griffons is that they are really drat tough. Even with high-level Arts and low SP or the best weapons you can get by 1239, you'll be hitting for about 600. If you assume I'm doing about 2000 damage a round, then I need twelve uninterrupted rounds to kill one.

Basically all of a Griffon's attacks can do LP damage, and they do that LP damage often. It can Charm you. Wide Shot can hit multiple characters.

And if it decides it doesn't want to dick around, it can just Glider Spike you for way, WAY more HP than you have, or kill basically everyone with Heavy Gale. Both of these are Piercing, which is your weakest physical defense by far at this point. (Weakest defense for the Padded Mail and Beast Amulet, and the Bone Breastplate is next to useless against it. The Tone Shell has good Piercing Defense, but you have no real reason to equip one.)

If you don't have Reviva, something WILL go wrong. You can't heal more than one character at a time, the Griffon can simply kill anyone it wants whenever it wants, Water heals less than Heavy Gale will do to your party, and Life Water is slow. Without Reviva, it's a slog with several possible points of failure. With Reviva, it's a demented game of whack-a-mole.

Also sometimes it just uses Heavy Gale twice in a row and then you're pretty much boned, Reviva or no Reviva, unless two characters can tank it or you've assigned Cannonball to the right person.

Wil's a pretty competent healer with Life Water by now, though, and can revive Cordelia to full. Narcisse revives Tyler with Water and he burns an LP to get back to full.

This area has incredibly good passive Anima, having both Pasture (Tree-Water) and Rock Surface (Stone). It's nice having Water available on everyone.

Beast Lightning and Turtle Killer are invaluable in fights like this, lowering magical and physical defenses and greatly increasing the damage you do.

Megahit is just reasonably priced and easy to combo with. It's also a giant jumping cleave, so there's that.

Combos really kick your damage upward--the first and second combos did about the same amount.

I've referenced LP-casting before, but I haven't shown it. This is a really useful feature, since it ensures that you can always cast Reviva if you really need it. 1 LP isn't too much to pay, so long as you don't do it regularly. Also useful for Steel-wearers who don't have SP regen but still need to cast Water on someone.

By the time it goes down, I'm pretty worn-down... And this is with a strange streak of Body Double never Charming, which would have messed things up a lot more. I actually had a fairly good run this time.

I kept a list of who died to what during the fight, just out of personal curiosity.

Narcisse (Glider Spike)
Everyone else (Heavy Gale)
Tyler and Cordelia (Heavy Gale)
Tyler (Glider Spike) [519 damage!]
Tyler and Cordelia (Heavy Gale)
Tyler (Heavy Gale) [Cordelia survived with 7 Hp this time]
Cordelia (Heavy Gale) [It used this three times in a row! Tyler was still dead, so he didn't go down again]
Tyler (Glider Spike)

So Wil and Narcisse died once, Cordelia died three more times, and Tyler died six times. Being in the front spot really, really didn't pay off for him...

Then I just start the scenario over, because there's no real reason to fight a Griffon. Yes, they do drop two of the better equips in the game (I'll point them out once we find them normally), but they're easily replaceable, especially since neither of them has an Anima. (If you decide to fight a Griffon, make sure the area shows both Pasture and Rock Surface enviromental Anima, for Reasons I'll explain a little later.) Quicksave before trying to run around a Griffon, and just soft reset if you get into a fight; the fifteen seconds that'll take is less than the time it'll take to try to run away, much less kill it. (Quick Start has basically no loading time and Quicksaves are instant.)

You may have noticed the second bag back when I blew up the bridge. There's a second gimmick for the treasure here. See that bag on the ledge? You can't grab it, it's too high... But you'll notice the two Griffons on this screen.

If you make a Griffon run into one of the bags, they'll be knocked off the ledge.

Yes, they put multiple optional bosses in an area and then filled it with treasure that requires you to play optional boss Chicken. There's only two chests to get this way, though, and neither of them are too important, it's just a neat thing.

The Silence Bow is pretty good for this point, so it's mostly worth it. Shame we only have Narcisse to use it with.

The path splits past this point. Right takes you further in, down loops around to the other bridge's way in.

The other side of the lower bridge.

Griffons can turn surprisingly fast, so it got me about, oh, a fourth of a second after this screenshot. Unpause, BAM, spinning battle transition.

This drop-down bag is a pain. This is just below the top bridge, and the only Griffon here is at the top. So you need to pull him down all the way from the top, fighting against his "return to perch if player not within X radius" AI pattern and also trying not to touch the optional boss. This is difficult when it's hard to distinguish between "going up to return to base" or "going up to dive at you."

The Pop Shoes are pretty great defensively--8 physical defense, 7 magical defense. They give no SP, but they do give a special weapon tech, Press, which costs 4 WP and has 38 Power. It's the one Rhino types have, where you jump and stomp on something. Unfortunately, it can miss (like Cleave; most Arts can't, remember), and isn't actually associated with any weapon type, so it's not that strong.

It's a bonus, though. You mostly care because of the great defensive stats.

This is left of the Pop Shoes bag and just above the area behind the lower bridge. ~30 more Rock Axe uses here. See what I mean about Tyler only using the good stuff?

The 500 Crowns is here either way, and the second bag is where items go when you blow up the bridge.

I really didn't expect this, so... I need to explain something a little earlier than planned. Can't complain, though.

The Antler Spear is one of the Scene drops for this area. "Scenes" are specific enemy icons in specific areas, and each of them has their own associated enemy list. (Which is another reason there are so many Sidhe Bunnies stored in the monster data.) Essentially, think of the item drop table as having five entries. Each enemy contributes up to two, with the last three items being tied to the Scene.

The non-Griffon scenes here all have basically the same enemies... It's just that one can drop Flint Axes (9 Power Fire Axe), one can drop Stone Shields (16 Evade against physical, +10 SP), and the last can drop Antler Spears.

Scene drops are an enormous pain in the rear end if you're crazy enough to go item-hunting. (Don't go item-hunting.) The same icons always have the same Scene, but figuring out which is which is going to take some trial-and-error with save states or a LOT more trial-and-error without.

(Remember how I said to check the enviromental Anima against the Griffon? There seems to be at least one Griffon scene in this area that trades one of the good drops for one of the game's worst and kicks the other good item down to least-likely. Don't fight one in any area that only has Pasture terrain.)

Still, I've got one now, so Cordelia keeps a Light Spear equipped for Flame Anima (she needs it for Twin Dragon) and starts using her Sacred Spear in normal fights. Between the Sacred Spear, the Antler Spear, and the weapons I'll let later, she should be mostly using good ones from here on out.

And since I was testing something out in the run where I got that, I had to run back and grab the Rock Axe again. And, uh.

yep, THAT'S never going to break, ever

There's three ways onward. The mine entrance here links up to a higher one, which you can access from the left branch when the netting splits at this plateau.

There IS a Stone Shield in the middle, though, if you actually use shields. (I don't. More varied Anima access is almost always more useful, and if it isn't, you usally want the Kris Knife's magic defenses more than the shield. There's one exception, but you're only guaranteed one copy of that.)

Climbing up the right branch leads you to your goal.

I thought I told you not to follow me, you imbecile.

What do you want?

Remember, all dialogue past this point is the same regardless of whether Cordelia lived or died. Alexei really didn't realize that she was dying.

Alexei! I'll never forgive you!!
What's this sudden outburst? That's why little boys are so troublesome. Don't think I'll let you off so easily after talking to me like that. You are prepared, aren't you?

Wil takes a step forward.

I shall avenge my father and mother!!

You can interpret this line as the developers writing around Shrodinger's Cordelia, but I prefer to see it as a sign that Wil considers Cordelia's death to be his fault, not Alexei's.

Not that it'll stop him from killing Alexei for it, mind.

I'll show you why I have come here!!

They are still just fledglings, but they'll do just fine against you.
You're controlling the dragons!?
This Quell can only be used by normal humans to repel monsters, but in my possession, it can be used to control them.

(Field of Battle)

The Hell Wingers have 40000 HP each. Defensively, they're a step below the Griffon, but it's not a very big step.

And like the Griffon, they have Heavy Gale and Glider Spike. (I went with a better presentation of Heavy Gale over the one with accurate numbers, but it did about the same as the Griffon's.) One of them has Oscillation, too, which is Sonic instead of Piercing but similarly overkill.

You can kill one Griffon, but even with Reviva, you are not killing two Griffon+ enemies. It's just not going to happen.

In a bit of poor planning on the part of the developers, taking the noncanon route will generally result in the player being wiped without explanation here. To trigger the right event, Nina has to be in the party.

If you do, then once your party wipes, instead of the "Wil Knight's party has lost" pre-Game Over message, Nina will get back up.

Stellar spells like Megabolt and Comet Fall aren't found in nature or learnable--they're locked to very specific Quells or to interstellar materials. Aunt Nina just cast one on pure willpower.

But casting spells beyond your capabilities will shave your life away.

When Alexei said the power of the Egg was sealed, he wasn't joking. The Knight Servants have a little less than 1000 HP. Alexei has just below 3500. They can do maybe 100 damage to you in a turn.

It's really not a fight at all.

No music.

Me too...I've thought of both uncle and you as my as my father and mother. So please get well soon, mother.

Aye, rest well.

(Absorbed in Prayer)

Aunt Nina dies.

Wil started this quest to get answers. He didn't get them, and the pursuit killed Cordelia. He chased after Alexei for vengeance, and that pursuit killed the only mother he ever had. Now everyone who knows what really happened all those years ago is dead. The only real consolation he has is that the Egg is gone, too, lying at the bottom of a remote and abandoned quarry.

(vooorm)

And then even that small consolation vanishes.

(Seclusion)

(The Outside World)

1239 Wil - Showdown with Alexei
Wil defeats Alexei in the granite quarry. However, Aunt Nina does not survive.

Next (Chronological): Mother's Sickbed (1239)
Next (Knights): At the Mines (1244)

Einander fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 13, 2015

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Since we just finished a major arc, party status!

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
So narratively speaking, Cordelia dying fits better, including the accidental flub of game-overing if Nina isn't in the party. She really is kind of badass, though.

Hehe, I see with the chronological progression, someone else finds the egg pretty much immediately... the cross-over timeline anticipation is delicious.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I think that one bad Griffon scene you mentioned is the one that you can fight at any point in the game, but I'm not 100%.

There's a slight chance that you'll get ambushed by a Griffon at the Oasis near Vogelang

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Heavy neutrino posted:

I think that one bad Griffon scene you mentioned is the one that you can fight at any point in the game, but I'm not 100%.

There's a slight chance that you'll get ambushed by a Griffon at the Oasis near Vogelang

Mmm. I could have sworn that was a thing, but I tested it a while back and it never showed up, so I thought it was a memory error. Go figure!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I remember, once the shock of Aunt Nina blowing the gently caress up, laughing at Alexi's ridiculous Epic Mount. That and his hair reminds me of Krusty the Clown.

Now begins Ahab's quest for the great white whale egg.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Now begins Ahab's quest for the great white whale egg.

In fairness, Moby Dick was never entombed in a death shrine, and never caused people to allegedly blow the gently caress up.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I just had an idea to improve AP English classes by at least 1000%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

I just had an idea to improve AP English classes by at least 1000%.

Stop making students read "Pride and Prejudice," or at least being honest about how vile it is?

My horrible hippie teacher with a straight face claimed it was great because it was "just like a soap opera"

It didn't have a self-loathing vampire or big eyed witch in it, so she was a filthy liar.

In all seriousness, a doom whale would make literature so much better... well, unless it's heroine was based off of Meg Ryan.

• Locked thread