Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

8-bit Miniboss posted:

None that I know of unfortunately.

That's a shame, but probably for the best as it keeps me from spending more money on yet another comic reader. Chunky Pro is still amazing even if you can't do sub categories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I had an idea for an app

called Astronomical

play on the name iCal

It'd just tell you the weather of poo poo when you plan it in app and also be a dark app

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

I have no idea but that's the fun part about exploits, really smart nerds manage to break it anyways.

Password managers are probably going to become the next big hacking target, it's only a matter of time before there's an exploit found and a lot of people have every single one of their accounts hijacked. Obscurity is what's protected them so far, but now that they're mainstream it's going to draw a lot of attention.

Still an extremely important and valuable tool and I'm not suggesting anyone abandon the practice, just be super cautious about what you grant access to.

I imagine they have some pretty badass security. Do they have badass security?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm sure they follow industry best practices, but nothing is 100%.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
1Password doesn't store anything on their servers and allows for iCloud, Dropbox, or local sync. It's pretty safe, I'd imagine.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Looking at the API, the only "exploit" I could see would be if the app sets an identifier of like "google.com", which would tell 1password "show logins for Google.com to the user". At which point the user would have to select the Google.com login (even if there's only one login, the extension doesn't autofill if there's one entry like it does on the desktop app) on a screen that says "this app wants your google credentials" and hit submit.

So it's about as prone to malicious attacks as just having a lovely app ask for your Google login in the first place.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ursine Asylum posted:

Looking at the API, the only "exploit" I could see would be if the app sets an identifier of like "google.com", which would tell 1password "show logins for Google.com to the user". At which point the user would have to select the Google.com login (even if there's only one login, the extension doesn't autofill if there's one entry like it does on the desktop app) on a screen that says "this app wants your google credentials" and hit submit.

So it's about as prone to malicious attacks as just having a lovely app ask for your Google login in the first place.

Lastpass may be worse because it has a vault then, eh?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
NINtype keyboard just got a really slick update and kicks a whole lot of rear end. Costs $5 and has a hell of a learning curve, but I'm really liking it so far.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

tuyop posted:

Lastpass may be worse because it has a vault then, eh?

it's encrypted client-side and they don't have the key so probably not

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

bobfather posted:

NINtype keyboard just got a really slick update and kicks a whole lot of rear end. Costs $5 and has a hell of a learning curve, but I'm really liking it so far.
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/12/03/nintype-keyboard-for-ios/

That looks quite... :pcgaming:. Know if it works ok for just plain touch typing on iPad or does it seem more tailored to two thumbs?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Themeboard is out now. Good looking keyboards for all. Sad thing is that the predictive text portion can't get the gently caress out.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

japtor posted:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/12/03/nintype-keyboard-for-ios/

That looks quite... :pcgaming:. Know if it works ok for just plain touch typing on iPad or does it seem more tailored to two thumbs?

On iPad it's tougher to use because my hands aren't big enough, but it does have a way to shrink and move the keyboard to the right or left so you can swipe type one-handed, which is cool.

For the phone I am finding it easier to use with some practice, but in my opinion there is a pretty steep learning curve.

I do think it's one of those things which will completely change the way I type over time though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

bobfather posted:

On iPad it's tougher to use because my hands aren't big enough, but it does have a way to shrink and move the keyboard to the right or left so you can swipe type one-handed, which is cool.

For the phone I am finding it easier to use with some practice, but in my opinion there is a pretty steep learning curve.

I do think it's one of those things which will completely change the way I type over time though.

Does it still come with those OS-level bugs that basically ruin the whole experience?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

tuyop posted:

Does it still come with those OS-level bugs that basically ruin the whole experience?

I think iOS 8.1.1 fixed a bunch of those. I haven't seen many bugs yet.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

bobfather posted:

This is tempting but I can't tell if it would improve my life
or be a complete disaster.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Feenix posted:

This is tempting but I can't tell if it would improve my life
or be a complete disaster.

ĩŧ ăłŝō ӈāş ă ƿřअŧҷ śĩċĸ ŵőřđ ᒎũɱƃɮ നőʤ, įƒ ŷவ'ŗē ōɳ ŧħĕ ƒěňɶ āƅவţ ĭţ.

Honestly though, I don't mind paying the $5 because the guy was working on the jailbreak version for a long time and spent a similiar amount of time on this version. I'm sure it'll go on sale at some point in time. I will say it makes it tolerable to type in landscape mode on an iPad for me, which I cannot say about the stock keyboard.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

xzzy posted:

Sounds great until the first exploit is found that dumps your entire keystore to some lovely f2p game and uploads it to a server in Russia.

Still a better state of affairs than without a manager where you share the same small set of passwords between all sites, and when the database at any of those sites (which are much more interesting since they might have credit card info or enough personal info to permit identity theft) is compromised you have to remember where you used that password before and change it.

With a password manager you just iterate through the password database logging in and changing your password on each site.

I'd expect the password manager attacks to go for desktops first anyways. Much broader attack surface, browser code that's open source for the most part and you don't have to rely on getting your exploit past the Apple app review or rely on the user being jail broken. Plus Apple does have the ability to remotely delete the app if they really need to as I recall, not that they've used it so far.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I bought Nintype this morning. It's pretty neat. Except it alerted me that it had a memory crash (on my 6+) and then proceeded to go all non-retina (and also with weird artifacts on the letters.. errant lines and stuff...)

And I can't figure out how to get Retina back?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Feenix posted:

I bought Nintype this morning. It's pretty neat. Except it alerted me that it had a memory crash (on my 6+) and then proceeded to go all non-retina (and also with weird artifacts on the letters.. errant lines and stuff...)

And I can't figure out how to get Retina back?

Just get laser corrective surgery

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Juxtaposer

HJ3FNHNT49R7

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

obi_ant posted:

Juxtaposer

HJ3FNHNT49R7

This looks fun--thanks!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

obi_ant posted:

Juxtaposer

HJ3FNHNT49R7

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
took AJAM, thank you!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

L6YP code taken.

Thanks!

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Are there any other apps like "out of milk" out there? I just need a simple app for grocery lists that I can share with my girlfriend so we can both add and cross off items.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bronin posted:

Are there any other apps like "out of milk" out there? I just need a simple app for grocery lists that I can share with my girlfriend so we can both add and cross off items.

I use ShoppingList for myself and my fiancé. You can use it pretty simply, but you can also make lists for different stores/containers.

No iPhone6/6+ optimization, though.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

bronin posted:

AnyList. My fiance and I have used it for over a year and it works great.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

maduin posted:

AnyList. My fiance and I have used it for over a year and it works great.

Looks nice. Thanks

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

bronin posted:

Easiest is maybe to share a reminder list, in the stock reminders app.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What's everyone favorite podcast app nowadays? The descriptions in the OP are a little scarce.

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!
No, it has the best on top.. Overcast

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Still rolling with Pocket Casts and will probably remain so.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Megasabin posted:

What's everyone favorite podcast app nowadays? The descriptions in the OP are a little scarce.

The stock one is free and has Siri integration, so that's good!

If it works for you, it's unreliable at times.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Overcast is my current favourite. Smart Speed, Voice Boost, and push updates are all things I would have a hard time living without.

Also it's the most orange.

On am unrelated note, I've been using nintype for a little while now and now that I'm used to it I actually like it quite a bit. I like being able to correct words a couple of words behind the current one without having to move the cursor. I always found that Swiftkey did not play nice with the tags in the awful app anyhow.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I like downcast and don't know why overcast is better

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

I like downcast and don't know why overcast is better

Smart speed has saved me 60 additional hours on top of regular speed doubling.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Anyone able to point me to Drafts 4 chat somewhere in the thread? I looked back 6-7 pages and only saw weather/password/podcast chat. Not sure if I care enough to upgrade.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I used Pocket Casts for ages but switched to Overcast and I love it. It even has a web app that stays synced with your apps.

Also I only listen to a couple podcasts a week and Overcast has already done this for me:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

bronin posted:

I think a goon recently straight up made an app to satisfy his needs for exactly this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
A shared list isn't exactly a novel thing, there are dozen of good apps for that.

Check out:

Wunderlist
Evernote
Things
Any.do
Google Keep
Paprika

To name a few other than reminders.