Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Bongo Bill posted:

Is Lyn Hard mode unlocked from the beginning in FE7? This is the deciding factor as to whether I will buy it a second time.

NOPE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Maybe I was lying about this being the deciding factor. I'll have to give this some thought. Do you unlock it just by beating Lyn Normal, or do you have to beat Eliwood Normal?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh drat it that ruins my whole plan!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Maybe I was lying about this being the deciding factor. I'll have to give this some thought. Do you unlock it just by beating Lyn Normal, or do you have to beat Eliwood Normal?
What's it matter? Once you're through Lyn's story, you're through Lyn's story. It's not like it's suddenly interesting on Hard Mode, it's just less of a tutorial-filled slog.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Bongo Bill posted:

The whole game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

What's it matter? Once you're through Lyn's story, you're through Lyn's story. It's not like it's suddenly interesting on Hard Mode, it's just less of a tutorial-filled slog.

He may want to go back and not promote wallace.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Fun fact: in japanese FE7, the only way to skip Lyn's mode was to link your GBA up to one that had FE6 in it. This could be done regardless of whether you had beaten the game or not.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Fun fact: in japanese FE7, the only way to skip Lyn's mode was to link your GBA up to one that had FE6 in it. This could be done regardless of whether you had beaten the game or not.

I preferred FE6's tutorial, it was in the options in case you needed a Tutorial. FE7, and I know why they did it, just bugs me with the forced Tutorial.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly, what bugs me about FE7 isn't even the forced 11 chapter tutorial, it's that the first 11 chapters are boring even on Lyn Hard Mode. Fortunately FE7 is a long game anyway, but by chapter 11 in FE9 you were at the second run-in with the Black Knight. By Chapter 11 in FE7, the game's actually started.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I liked Lyn mode.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Onmi posted:

I preferred FE6's tutorial, it was in the options in case you needed a Tutorial. FE7, and I know why they did it, just bugs me with the forced Tutorial.

Presumably it was because this was the first game in the series to get an international release and westerners would be unfamiliar with its mechanics. I know I found the slow tutorial useful the first time I played the game.

That said, 11 chapters was probably excessive but I understand why it was probably done.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

Honestly, what bugs me about FE7 isn't even the forced 11 chapter tutorial, it's that the first 11 chapters are boring even on Lyn Hard Mode. Fortunately FE7 is a long game anyway, but by chapter 11 in FE9 you were at the second run-in with the Black Knight. By Chapter 11 in FE7, the game's actually started.

Yeah, I know the feeling. FE7 to me is

1-11 "Oh dear god will something happen?"
12->Whatever chapter Dragons Gate is "Hey this is really well paced and intriguing and fun."
Past Dragons Gate "Padding!"

FPzero posted:

Presumably it was because this was the first game in the series to get an international release and westerners would be unfamiliar with its mechanics. I know I found the slow tutorial useful the first time I played the game.

That said, 11 chapters was probably excessive but I understand why it was probably done.

Yeah, that was the reason, I know the japanese fanbase actually didn't even like that FE6 included a tutorial that was optional. Which is why they added the link-up feature I guess.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
FE7's story is basically:

1-10: Tutorials!
11-20: Plot.
21-29: A chain of fetch quests that literally ends in Hector asking why they had to do all of that.
30-33: Plot 2, electric boogaloo.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

FE7's story is basically:

1-10: Tutorials!
11-20: Plot.
21-29: A chain of fetch quests that literally ends in Hector asking why they had to do all of that.
30-33: Plot 2, electric boogaloo.

and Plot 2 is literally just plot 1s climax repeated.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you keep saying that but i never really cared about the dragon thing. the climax to me was always fighting nergal. frankly the dragon was always an afterthought. maybe because it was such a wimp.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The dragon is an excuse to see just how powerful Luna is on a crit from 30 magic.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Either way it's still better than FE8, which is just one long losing story because come on you can't have a Demon King and not fight him.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

you keep saying that but i never really cared about the dragon thing. the climax to me was always fighting nergal. frankly the dragon was always an afterthought. maybe because it was such a wimp.

It spurs the fetch quests for the entire second half of the game so it's the games climax at the very least. But seriously Plot 1 ends with "Ah! Nergal is summoning the dragons! We were too late! Oh good Nils stopped him from summoning the dragon. Oh no Nergal's going to summon the dragons again. Lets fetch quest for weapons and junk to stop him from doing it! OKay now we're tracking back to Valor, OH NO! Nergal is summoning the dragon! Oh wait Nils stopped him! Oh no he actually did it this time!"

If you never went to valor for the first time, I wouldn't keep harping on it, but that's not how the game was structured. Though as an aside, I was asked by another hacker for input on what to do regarding remaking FE7, sort or like what I'm doing for FE6. the main thing was to never go to Valor until the end. If anyone cares I can post it, but I highly doubt anyone cares.

BlitzBlast posted:

Either way it's still better than FE8, which is just one long losing story because come on you can't have a Demon King and not fight him.

I hate games like FE8, Tales of Graces, etc. Where you have to lose for the plot to keep going. The Demon King in 8 and Yune/Ashera in 10 bug me because it requires everyone being rampantly stupid. Also the conditions for the seal breaking are ill defined at best. "Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn: It's ill defined at best"

Onmi fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 4, 2014

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Onmi posted:

Though as an aside, I was asked by another hacker for input on what to do regarding remaking FE7, sort or like what I'm doing for FE6. the main thing was to never go to Valor until the end.

This is incorrect, the most important thing to be done for fe7 is to make Hawkeye's stats as awesome as his sprite.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FE8's plot is both infuriating and boring. I like FE7's much better even if it does have a good bit of padding.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The story being dull in FE8 took a backseat to the game itself being dull. Bit of a let down after 7, which is is still one of the best games in the series.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
FE10's plot might have some dumb parts, but I still love it for its plot and gameplay integration. The last two chapters of part 3 are pretty awesome about that. In the second to last chapter you finally start to make progress and turn the tide of the fight. Then the rest of the Greil Mercenaries show up and it's time to pull the gently caress back real fast. The heartbeat and death counter for 3-E is also really cool especially with all of the little cutscenes of people freaking out.

Then there's 2-E which is awesome for how it turns Elincia into a meek inexperienced queen into a terror of the skies who isn't taking any of Ludveck's poo poo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I liked FE10's plot because it was dumb in ridiculous ways so I found it entertaining. FE8 was simply not ridiculous enough, though perhaps that is because my one play-through of the game was in Elrika's story.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

dude789 posted:

FE10's plot might have some dumb parts, but I still love it for its plot and gameplay integration. The last two chapters of part 3 are pretty awesome about that. In the second to last chapter you finally start to make progress and turn the tide of the fight. Then the rest of the Greil Mercenaries show up and it's time to pull the gently caress back real fast. The heartbeat and death counter for 3-E is also really cool especially with all of the little cutscenes of people freaking out.

Then there's 2-E which is awesome for how it turns Elincia into a meek inexperienced queen into a terror of the skies who isn't taking any of Ludveck's poo poo.

I hate it for the other Gameplay and plot integration. Because the plot is stupid on a lot of chapters. also 2-E to me is "How fast can I completely invalidate Geoffrey?"

The answer is, Haar can finish 2-E in one turn. Hail to the King. I mean the entire reason you're fighting in Part 3 is- I have this title for a reason.

Regardless, I think 8 is the superior game to 7. It has an annoying plot element and it's easier but it's much funner, better gameplay all around and the plot is much tighter.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

when i was 10 i couldn't beat the dragon and had to restart the game

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Did you somehow get Athos killed?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Measuring Lyn mode in terms of the number of chapters it takes up is kind of meaningless since they're so short. It's a really long tutorial, but ten of Lyn's chapters are not equal to ten of Eliwood's or Hector's chapters.

Fire Emblem plots are always dumb, though they're not always as obvious about it as Awakening. The characters are the part of the writing to stick around for.

Endorph posted:

Maybe I want Wallace to be good, ever think about that? Or maybe I'd like to skip Eliwood Normal and Hector Normal and instead just go straight to Eliwood Hard and Hector Hard in that order.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you're gonna grind anyway, why not give the seal to a good unit and get the cool not fog of war map instead?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Fire Emblem plots are always dumb, though they're not always as obvious about it as Awakening. The characters are the part of the writing to stick around for.

There are levels of dumb of course. There's merely "simple" plots, like FE6, which never does anything 'wrong' it flows rather nicely well paced with very little to no filler. It never brings up these huge hole questions. But it's also pretty generic. FE10 looks liked it was written and plotted by a complete incompetent, since whole chapters don't make any sense, and it just does a tonne off screen which in any other FE would be playable.

Also only two characters have any real development, and are by far the best characters in the game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Manatee Cannon posted:

If you're gonna grind anyway, why not give the seal to a good unit and get the cool not fog of war map instead?

Because Wallace is bald and beautiful. And murders the poo poo out of an entire region of bandits off screen.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

Because Wallace is bald and beautiful. And murders the poo poo out of an entire region of bandits off screen.

Also because people should be allowed to experiment playing the game. I once took Lyre to level 40. I mean she was still poo poo but hey, I proved a point.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I have a feeling that, when I play this game, I won't be able to think about anything but how cool Ike is and how good PoR is.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

mabels big day posted:

I have a feeling that, when I play this game, I won't be able to think about anything but how cool Ike is and how good PoR is.

Yes, but that tends to happen when playing any game after PoR

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Onmi posted:

Also because people should be allowed to experiment playing the game. I once took Lyre to level 40. I mean she was still poo poo but hey, I proved a point.

I'm not sure what point you think you proved here, using bad units because you like them/are a masochist is a time honored tradition in video games.

For real though that fog of war map sucks. Also fog of war sucks.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Hector is proto-Ike. (According to legend, they did the whole three-lords thing as part of their strategy for breaking into the West: they gave their story three protagonists and decided to see which one we liked best, and use that knowledge to guide future design. We liked Hector best, and that's why Ike was Ike, and also why Chrom, underwhelming though he was, was not just Marth 4.0.) You might find this distractingly uncanny, or you might find it a good ice-breaker for the rest of the cast.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

Did you somehow get Athos killed?

lol no, but managing to have him attack and heal him despite the dragon having three range was far too difficult of a puzzle for me, because i was very dumb

e: or maybe all my healers were dead. there's no way i both recruited renault and kept him alive for that entire map, so it's possible

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 4, 2014

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

lol no, but managing to have him attack and heal him despite the dragon having three range was far too difficult of a puzzle for me, because i was very dumb

You got to the end of the game without learning how to abuse rescuing? That's kind of impressive given how often it pops up in the menu.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Ephraim is the best lord because he's a high functioning retard who is just absurdly good at poking things with a stick.

Ike is also the best lord because he realizes that he's the main character of a JRPG and as such, cannot fail no matter how hard he tries so he just decides "gently caress it" and steam-rolls Ashnard up and down the continent.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

You got to the end of the game without learning how to abuse rescuing? That's kind of impressive given how often it pops up in the menu.

Physic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm not sure what point you think you proved here, using bad units because you like them/are a masochist is a time honored tradition in video games.

For real though that fog of war map sucks. Also fog of war sucks.

My point was I was not hacking the game when I got God Leonardo.

Bongo Bill posted:

Hector is proto-Ike. (According to legend, they did the whole three-lords thing as part of their strategy for breaking into the West: they gave their story three protagonists and decided to see which one we liked best, and use that knowledge to guide future design. We liked Hector best, and that's why Ike was Ike, and also why Chrom, underwhelming though he was, was not just Marth 4.0.) You might find this distractingly uncanny, or you might find it a good ice-breaker for the rest of the cast.

Hector is not Proto-Ike at all. Like... they have no overlapping character traits, besides having blue hair and kicking rear end.

Hector is a "SCREW YOU I DO WHAT I WANT" rough and tumble angry guy who kills dudes who gets in his way and lets his emotions rule him.

Ike, with the exception of the Black Knight, is a calm and focused mercenary who lets his emotions guide him, rather than rule him. And is in no way boistrous or rowdy like Hector.

I am confused about this comparison, because they're completely unlike one another. They're just both likable...