Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Daric posted:

Lol if this doesn't work he just put the whole team in front of a bunch of bombs

His secret plan to kill Team Arrow is working exactly as planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wow , pure loving joy from beginning to end. That was loving excellent and now next week is the mid season finales!

There was a lot of poo poo this week, Oliver learning a lesson about who he is, Diggle proposing.

Name Drops!

And they named dropped the Arrow Cave!

Cisco really is just super enthusiatic all of the time.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 4, 2014

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
That was exactly as good as I'd hoped it would be, and next week looks like it's going to be loving great.

What a great time for TV (especially if Arrow keeps up its trend of escalating in quality in the back half of the season.)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah, for whatever reason the 2nd half of the seasons have always to me at least been better.

Also, I am still just like super excited to watch it again. Plus Barry suggesting the name change was cool.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, for whatever reason the 2nd half of the seasons have always to me at least been better.

Also, I am still just like super excited to watch it again. Plus Barry suggesting the name change was cool.

Probably because the writers do a good job of threading stories throughout a season and building them up as they go. It's not that the seasons start off weak necessarily. It's just that they're handling things we don't know the significance of until later on.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think it's interesting as well that a major plot point for Arrow is being solved by someone from Flash.

The teams compliment themselves well, because now when Oliver uses some sort of insane technology like I dunno the bulletproof suit or whatever at the end, it's justifiable that they'd he'd have that technology. The same for the team of Cisco and co. for coming up with computer stuff.

It lets the writers relax and just tell a story.

Also, everyone in the story got screen time and it mattered like no one in the show felt periphery or unneeded. Well maybe Roy, it didn't really make sense for just the Arrow and Roy and the Flash to not show up there.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 4, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Hollismason posted:

Also, everyone in the story got screen time and it mattered like no one in the show felt periphery or unneeded. Well maybe Roy.

There was a really great scene where Cisco, Felicity, Caitlin, and Roy all in the Arrowcave tracking down Boomerang or the bombs or something, and the geek squad was all finishing eachother's sentences like "if I just retrace the ip phone hacking database frequency..." "...then I can ping that off a modified satellite router network government facial recognition..." "and we'll scan for trace elements of known bomb signature components using an algebraic algorithm!" while Roy was just standing there looking like this:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Well to be fair Roy isn't there to put pieces together, he's there to break things.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Roy is still being sold as needing training, see the fact that he goes down faster in fights or how during the part where they were attacking Boomerang at ARGUS he flubbed the landing.

They'll probably wait until like next season for him to be really competent.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
So what's up with HIVE and Diggle's brother's death? Is that plotline just completely dropped?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I thought it was super disappointing, especially after how fun The Flash ep was. :smith: I'm really worried the show has 100% lost it.

What happened to the super likeable funny people with genuine warmth towards each other in the Flash episode? How were Felicity and Diggle better written on another show? Cisco geeking out about the Arrowcave and Barry revealing himself to Lyla were about the only funny moments - and it's not like Arrow is all seriousness. Flash just came off more arrogant than nice, and Ollie's dickishness made more sense in the Flash, but here felt forced.
  • Every beat of the Ollie The Torturer plotline felt like a mistep. From the inexplicable bombing, to the creepy endorsement of torture, to the idea that torturers...should use bows and arrows or something?
  • Detective Lance knows who The Flash is now, right? I mean how else does he explain what just happened.
  • Godawful special effects or lack thereof. The little smoke pellet/exploding boomerang that caused a tiny bit of steam that wouldn't even hide him turning away, never mind escaping...from The Flash. Never mind that youtube webcam quality explosion Ollie backflipped over at the train station.
  • What was Cap Boomerang's plan there with the bombs? He seemed resigned to capture, so what was the point of letting them go off?
  • Ollie's plan to out-strategise The Flash in the final showdown was to...just shoot lots of arrows at him in a straight line?

JohnSherman posted:

Except he can't act worth a poo poo, which on a show like Arrow is saying something.

JohnSherman posted:

Holy poo poo, goony guy needs to stop talking. He really can't sell any of his lines.
He's a lot more natural on The Flash. I don't know why he comes off as way more awkward on Arrow. Either way, I don't think he's THAT bad and his lines were still the best part of this ep.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

VagueRant posted:

I thought it was super disappointing, especially after how fun The Flash ep was. :smith: I'm really worried the show has 100% lost it.

What happened to the super likeable funny people with genuine warmth towards each other in the Flash episode? How were Felicity and Diggle better written on another show? Cisco geeking out about the Arrowcave and Barry revealing himself to Lyla were about the only funny moments - and it's not like Arrow is all seriousness. Flash just came off more arrogant than nice, and Ollie's dickishness made more sense in the Flash, but here felt forced.
  • Every beat of the Ollie The Torturer plotline felt like a mistep. From the inexplicable bombing, to the creepy endorsement of torture, to the idea that torturers...should use bows and arrows or something?
  • Detective Lance knows who The Flash is now, right? I mean how else does he explain what just happened.
  • Godawful special effects or lack thereof. The little smoke pellet/exploding boomerang that caused a tiny bit of steam that wouldn't even hide him turning away, never mind escaping...from The Flash. Never mind that youtube webcam quality explosion Ollie backflipped over at the train station.
  • What was Cap Boomerang's plan there with the bombs? He seemed resigned to capture, so what was the point of letting them go off?
  • Ollie's plan to out-strategise The Flash in the final showdown was to...just shoot lots of arrows at him in a straight line?

He's a lot more natural on The Flash. I don't know why he comes off as way more awkward on Arrow. Either way, I don't think he's THAT bad and his lines were still the best part of this ep.

Arrow was in a warehouse full of beams. All of which were probably rigged to shoot trick arrows. He's been planning this for a week.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

VagueRant posted:

[*]Every beat of the Ollie The Torturer plotline felt like a mistep. From the inexplicable bombing, to the creepy endorsement of torture, to the idea that torturers...should use bows and arrows or something?

That's the point. How do you think he got to be the guy in the first season that would murder fools left right and center? It's because, among other things, he spent time as a government assassin working shadowy jobs of moral complexity for a woman who believes the ends justify the means. That's how he got from rich party boy to cold killer. And as he says to Barry, he feels like he's trading in his soul. Those are flashbacks, that is the point of them. They show the road to season one. Season three Ollie very much isn't happy with that part of himself.

quote:

[*]What was Cap Boomerang's plan there with the bombs? He seemed resigned to capture, so what was the point of letting them go off?

One, the plan is to have them distract the super fast guy long enough to make his escape...and two, to kill a lot of people because he's an rear end in a top hat.

quote:

[*]Ollie's plan to out-strategise The Flash in the final showdown was to...just shoot lots of arrows at him in a straight line?

Barry is a retarded person that doesn't know how to fight, and he's in an environment that Ollie picked out beforehand. Odds are it's to make him think moving in a straight line showing off is the right thing to do to distract him from whatever Ollie is really planning. It worked before.

quote:

and his lines were still the best part of this ep.

No, that was the constant boomerang puns.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

XboxPants posted:

So what's up with HIVE and Diggle's brother's death? Is that plotline just completely dropped?

Probably. I've completely forgotten about it. Maybe they're just waiting for Diggle to be a happily married family man and have it come back and blow every thing up for the sake of drama.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This episode is some Silver Age love letter, seriously the bomb in 5 places is classic Flash and the team up itself was perfect. Oliver never got to really fight anyone that much in the entire episode. The Flash just handled it in like 3 seconds which is what always happens when Superman shows up in Gotham.

I thought it pitched the whole idea perfectly , yes they were tropes and we knew they were coming ,but before Captain Boomerang ever spoke I knew what his plan was to handle the Flash.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

XboxPants posted:

H.I.V...E will show up once this season to remind us its still a thing and then be the big bad for either season 4 or 5. They say they have five seasons planned out which means things like Ollies kid and Diggles revenge are being set up slowly now for the pay off later.

My guess is Ollies kid becomes a (or the) big thing in season 5. Either he has to deal with being a dad or they go full comic book and his kid ends up in the L.O.A this season and comes back as Damian Wayne and Ollie has to teach a mini-him how to be a functioning human.

They'll probably go for the former but the latter would be awesome.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
His kid currently is how old? 8 years old or older? I know the flash back is before he left, but how long before?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Cisco definitely grew on me so far over the season of Flash. I can totally get any hate people who don't watch both shows have for him. I do think he is due for another more serious story beat though like they had in episode 3 of Flash. That went a long way to making him and Caitlin decent characters.

Edit: episode 3, not 4.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 4, 2014

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Wait if Lyla "sanitized" the Suicide Squad does that mean Bronze Tiger and Deadshot and them all are dead?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

There weren't multiple boomerang puns, there was just one and it kept coming around again.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Bruceski posted:

There weren't multiple boomerang puns, there was just one and it kept coming around again.

oh my. :vince:

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Moon posted:

Wait if Lyla "sanitized" the Suicide Squad does that mean Bronze Tiger and Deadshot and them all are dead?

That's what I was wondering too.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Bad Moon posted:

It seems like the exact membership of Task Force X is decided on a mission by mission basis

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Hollismason posted:

His kid currently is how old? 8 years old or older? I know the flash back is before he left, but how long before?

Ollie says hes been seeing this poo poo for 7/8 years (5 years on island, 3 years in show) so the kids at least that old. I.E perfect age for robin style shenanigans in season 4/5.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Captain Boomerang was awesome. I'm really glad they put him in Lian Yu with Slade. I want a cut to them at some point swapping ASIS war stories, cursing Oliver and plotting their escape.

Oliver really needs to start coating his arrows with lubricant so people stop catching them.

Next week is going to be amazing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bad Moon posted:

I think it was kind of unclear as to when that happened, so it was probably the pre-Arrow characters version of Task Force X.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I still wanna know who feeds the prisoners on the island.

Is it the polar bear?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Some Numbers posted:

Captain Boomerang was awesome. I'm really glad they put him in Lian Yu with Slade. I want a cut to them at some point swapping ASIS war stories, cursing Oliver and plotting their escape.

"Fuckin' Seppos, m' I rite?"

"Too rite mate. And how big of a twat is Oliver Queen"

"What a wanker."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It'd be cool to get a mini "Suicide Squad" w/ Captain Boomerang, Deathstroke, Bronze Tiger, those other dudes.. for like the whole episode.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Barry on the Salmon Ladder was SO. FUNNY.

Not as good as yesterday's episode, but I approve.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That the fact that Oliver apparently does that all the time in front of Felicity and it's even funnier when you realize that pretty much Felicity probably set the room up so she purposefully put it there to watch him which is fantastic.

Kind of wonder if in future episodes there's going to be a Flash costume in the Arrow Cave.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Last night, I and a few others were really thrown off at the terrible Iris stuff.

This was exponentially stronger. Captain Boomerang wasn't a metahuman, but he also felt like a bigger threat than the usual Arrow villain of the week.

The torture stuff actually brought us back to who Oliver was in the first season - a much more fruitful path than ignoring the fact that Oliver is a murderer a billion times over.

The story also found room for Diggle to get some needed screentime and emotional depth. That's a hell of a lot more impactful than "Barry's a dick, guys."

Plus, the show called out Oliver for being emotionally stunted.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Felicity perving on Oliver is a time honored Arrow tradition.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Arrow Season 3 - Not as The Arrow, that guy's a douche

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Hollismason posted:

It'd be cool to get a mini "Suicide Squad" w/ Captain Boomerang, Deathstroke, Bronze Tiger, those other dudes.. for like the whole episode.

You're forgetting Cupid, stupid.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

jscolon2.0 posted:

Oliver should just agree to have sex with her but be really bad in bed so she gives up on him.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

jscolon2.0 posted:

Hahahah I can imagine those down times.

:mad: gently caress the Arrow
:mad: gently caress the Arrow
:swoon: Oh you bet I would

Wait, why the gently caress would they put Capt Boomerang next to Deathstroke who knows Oliver's secret identity? I hope that was a metaphor.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Eddain posted:

Oliver should just agree to have sex with her but be really bad in bed so she gives up on him.

He penetrates just fine!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Bad Moon posted:

Wait, why the gently caress would they put Capt Boomerang next to Deathstroke who knows Oliver's secret identity? I hope that was a metaphor.

It's cute that you think someone who's been in The Quiver would have trouble piecing together that Oliver is the Arrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Some Numbers posted:

It's cute that you think someone who's been in The Quiver would have trouble piecing together that Oliver is the Arrow.

Arrow Cave :colbert:

• Locked thread