Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

Can anyone ID this thing and give me some idea of why it's tapping/clicking steadily w/ my ignition turned to the 2nd stop?

It's been happening for quite some time now. Smog/air pump is also on at this point...

2000 M Roadster, ASC deleted + resistor mod installed, I did solid AL throttle cable bushings, cleaned TB plate and MAF a few months ago... Aside from that I haven't done any futzing around up there.

<edit> got my answer, all is well apparently :downs:

Guy on Bf.C is right, the late production x52s do some weird stuff with all their grafted-on solenoids and valves. Its why, on a m54, you have that weird electrical-current sound when the hood is open and the car is in accessory.

e: new page, have some content, CAtuned is doing a S52 swap into a 318ti. Story time: a turbo s52 swap, m50 mani, hellrot on m-cloth, california roof 318ti, owned by one of the techs at Strictly German, was what got me into BMWs in the first place. Oh, to be 17 again, :swoon:

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I always feel sad for the northerners who have to put their fun cars away in the winter :(

Friend took some HARD PARKIN pics (w/ a potato) of my car when it still had paper tags...

I'm hard parkin'

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
my coworker bought a euro import e30 eta from igor at CA Tuned

E36 compacts seem to be like the worst of both worlds from E30s and E36s tbh

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

rscott posted:

my coworker bought a euro import e30 eta from igor at CA Tuned

E36 compacts seem to be like the worst of both worlds from E30s and E36s tbh

Yes, they're poo poo, but I love them and you shut your whore mouth.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
My beater 540i is running so great I pretty sure it's due to break catastrophically any day now.

Seriously have fallen in love with it all over again, gobs more torque and power than when I bought it. I wonder how long the coil has been weak.

SES light shut off on it's own, and so far the VTECyness has gone away. I might do the pcv system and hoses over the winter shutdown, or I might say gently caress it, buy some tires and go on a road trip.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Lightbulb Out posted:

I'm hard parkin'

Your garage is the best. Please keep doing what you do.

Sincerely,
Everyone.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

SuperDucky posted:

Yes, they're poo poo, but I love them and you shut your whore mouth.

They look awkward as gently caress (and I think the e36 is one of the best looking BMWs :v:) but s5x swaps are just so easy in them. I still want one but the only clean one I've ever looked at had a broken California roof. Also, if you aren't chasing lap times the e30 rear suspension is more fun.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

My buddy at my local indie shop just began swapping an M60 into his E36 Compact (which was formerly his DD). That should be a riot, since forced induction is definitely part of the plan.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Thread, my 2001 e46 coupe came with a built in phone connector and pop-up cradle where the cupholders should normally be.

Any suggestions on what I should do with it? My first instinct was to just rip it out and put in some standard cup holders, but does anyone have any better ideas? Can it be modded into an iPhone cradle or something? Should I Bluetooth it somehow?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
E36 ti compacts are really weird and cool. If I had one I wouldn't be able to control myself with styling mods.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey, just curious, but nobody likes the current (E89) Z4, do they?

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

Data Graham posted:

From some angles, the front end looks pretty drat goofy. Like its just farted and isn't letting on.
There's also the fact its a total hairdresser's car. But then again, its a beamer and probably drives really well.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Data Graham posted:

It's a perfectly capable cruiser. I also think it looks a bit naff from the front, but the convertible hardtop is nice and with the 3L 6 it's pretty motivated.

It is *soft* compared to the E85/E86. Definitely more emphasis on being fun / comfortable than on being a hardcore carver.

YMMV of course.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And not even a thought given to an M version, of course.

What I don't get is, if BMW is so set on doing all these hardcore drivers' cars all of a sudden, with new M variants all up and down the line and manuals and straight-sixes and all, what is their plan with the Z4? Are they planning to get it back to its roots at some point?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Data Graham posted:

And not even a thought given to an M version, of course.

What I don't get is, if BMW is so set on doing all these hardcore drivers' cars all of a sudden, with new M variants all up and down the line and manuals and straight-sixes and all, what is their plan with the Z4? Are they planning to get it back to its roots at some point?

I sure hope so. But probably not - given the engineering costs and low volume. :(

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

revmoo posted:

E36 ti compacts are really weird and cool. If I had one I wouldn't be able to control myself with styling mods.

I've had an e36m3 coupe and didn't do the euro power-quarter-window mod. If I had a compact, I wouldn't be able to stop myself.
After I put a schrick'ed s52 in it with a 6 speed and m roadie rear sub. :getin:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I can't remember where I read it, but I think I remember reading that the upcoming BMW/Toyota collaboration would result in the replacement or next version of the Z4 and it'd be more like the e85/e86 than the e89 in terms of performance and driving characteristics. Details about the whole joint venture are limited though and I don't think anyone really knows whether it will come to fruition or not.

The e89 is soft, as sofullofhate said. Only took me a short test drive to write it off. The top is neat though.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

SuperDucky posted:

I've had an e36m3 coupe and didn't do the euro power-quarter-window mod. If I had a compact, I wouldn't be able to stop myself.
After I put a schrick'ed s52 in it with a 6 speed and m roadie rear sub. :getin:

you could put all of that into an E30 and have a better looking car

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

rscott posted:

you could put all of that into an E30 and have a better looking car

Well yes but I already own one of those :v: and I'm also a big fan of the m20 in the e30 so that's not changing. Not on this chassis, anyway.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I can't remember where I read it, but I think I remember reading that the upcoming BMW/Toyota collaboration would result in the replacement or next version of the Z4 and it'd be more like the e85/e86 than the e89 in terms of performance and driving characteristics. Details about the whole joint venture are limited though and I don't think anyone really knows whether it will come to fruition or not.

The e89 is soft, as sofullofhate said. Only took me a short test drive to write it off. The top is neat though.

I thought all bmw got was hybrid tech, vs Toyota getting an actual decent diesel engine for the first time in years.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I thought the i8 was what they built with help from Toyota.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I thought the i8 was what they built with help from Toyota.

No, the i8 was created under the BMW EfficientDynamics program.

BMW and Toyota are collaborating on a new Supra/roadster project.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Will a spare tire for an e53 (X5 2006 & prior) fit on an e70 (X5 current model)?

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

SuperDucky posted:

If you did this, I would need to see it. So do it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Reground cams are so much cheaper than the Shricks.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Lincoln posted:

Will a spare tire for an e53 (X5 2006 & prior) fit on an e70 (X5 current model)?

Nope. The x5 of that era got the E39s funky hubs

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone here have a 6 series? There is going to be a lot more city rush hour driving in my future so I was looking at something to replace the TDI with. I'd still have the Miata for weekend drop top fun. The idea of a 2 door luxury barge is somewhat appealing but I wanted to get opinions if possible.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Bovril Delight posted:

Anyone here have a 6 series? There is going to be a lot more city rush hour driving in my future so I was looking at something to replace the TDI with. I'd still have the Miata for weekend drop top fun. The idea of a 2 door luxury barge is somewhat appealing but I wanted to get opinions if possible.

Modern 6ers are pretty awesome, haters vacate. They are, essentially, a 5-Series platform underneath, but typically they will have far more options and gizmos than your average 5 would, which at the end of the day is just more stuff to go wrong. That said, the E60 5-Series (which the E63 6-Series is based on) seems to be pretty solid for a BMW, and the same can (apparently) be said for the current F10 5 and the F12/F13 6 as well.

Having said that, if you're in North America, we've only ever got V8 (and V10) powered 6s, which means you will get abysmal fuel economy if all you're doing is driving in stop-and-go traffic.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bovril Delight posted:

Comedy option: Challenger Hellcat?

Would actually be same money or cheaper depending on options.

I think the previous generation 6er was more closely related to the 7 of that age than the 5 (I had an 08 750 and still have an 08 535). The current gen 6 is definitely closer to the 5 but they both share a ton with the 7 being the same platform. I test drove the 6 coupe, gran coupe, and 5 earlier this year and ordered the 5. The 6 was awesome but the gran coupe was hilariously small in the back and while the coupe was awesome I needed four doors.

If you want something big and two door, cross shop the M4 if you want a roundel on the hood. Should not be much smaller than the 6 and is a hell of a car.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo I flashed my e46 M3 SMG with the CSL code and did the adaptation routine. It shifts liquid smooth now and rage-fast at high load. Also now I have 4k RPM launch control.

I guess my point is do your SMG adaptations, folks.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Nope. The x5 of that era got the E39s funky hubs

Zoinks. Any way I can get an E70 spare with a jack kit for less than 400 freaking dollars? Already dropped a poo poo-ton on an OEM retractable cargo cover and a new key fob.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Lincoln posted:

Zoinks. Any way I can get an E70 spare with a jack kit for less than 400 freaking dollars? Already dropped a poo poo-ton on an OEM retractable cargo cover and a new key fob.

Junkyards

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM.

E70 coolant expansion tank took a poo poo today. ~140 bucks from Nalley BMW. :smith:

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

the poi posted:

Holy poo poo I flashed my e46 M3 SMG with the CSL code and did the adaptation routine. It shifts liquid smooth now and rage-fast at high load. Also now I have 4k RPM launch control.

I guess my point is do your SMG adaptations, folks.

Would of loved to of done this if I still had my E46. poo poo I even had the CSL rims and rear diffuser on mine.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
I finally got my JB4 re-installed after October's unpleasantness. I forgot how strong it felt with just the JB4 and no e85 blend. I think I may forgo playing with the corn juice for a while and just enjoy it the way it is. All of you people and your e30s got me sucked into killing time at work looking at r3vlimited and now I'm dropping hints to my wife about getting a fourth car and parking the nice cars in the driveway.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Any better than oem front disks for a 46m3?
I need mine replacing and thought id do pads as well.
Looking for a good combination. Pf?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Haven't had time to do the oil change myself so I took it in. The guy came and showed me that the inside of my oil cap had some grey slime-looking residue and told me there was coolant getting into my oil. It's been a while since my last oil change. How hosed am I?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Are you losing absolutely zero coolant? Then it's probably normal condensation. If you are in fact losing coolant then it could potentially indicate a head gasket issue but not necessarily. You'll need to dig deeper to find out.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

mutata posted:

Haven't had time to do the oil change myself so I took it in. The guy came and showed me that the inside of my oil cap had some grey slime-looking residue and told me there was coolant getting into my oil. It's been a while since my last oil change. How hosed am I?

Head gasket mate. Nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

mutata posted:

pretty common on e36's