Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

dox posted:

It's quite easy to get MDT up and rolling if that is the "platform" you are speaking of. It's just an application.

The basics are easy but there is plenty of stuff that just isn't that mainstream. For example, did you know that you if downloaded windows updates seperately and added them to the packages that your installation is going to fail? Its due to some windows updates that were made aren't offline installable. Sometimes these updates are documented, sometimes they aren't, and its basically trial and error to figure out which updates are going to blow up your installation. There are a ton of other things just like that have been bugged for years that they haven't gotten around to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Zephirus posted:

Now this is a dev environment, but really?

What kind of dev environment needs ~24TB of (non-redundant) disk space? :psyduck: Also, who's the sucker who gets to rebuild/repopulate/regenerate all that data when one of those drives explodes? :v:

Reminds me of when we had to take a look at this one Mac Server that one of our departments owned (literally the only Mac system in our entire massive company) because one of the users reported that it was throwing a RAID error on login. After finally figuring out how to access the thing and get to the RAID control panel (none of us knew anything about Macs), we discovered that (a) the RAID error was literally three years old and had long since been fixed (apparently the Mac RAID utility pops up generic "Hey, your RAID is broke!" error messages on boot if there are any errors at all in the log file, regardless of their age or the current condition of the RAID arrays), and (b) whoever built the server originally took the four 1TB drives and created four 1TB RAID 0 arrays with one member each. :cripes: One was mounted as the system drive and the other three were mounted as secondary filesystems and had never been used.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

The bosses freaked out and brought the I.T. Manager in from our biggest location who couldn't help much because he doesn't know anything about HQ or system wide I.T. He only knows his location. Poor guy. I called him today to talk about things. I don't want him to wind up invisible like I was.

Convince him to quit as well and start consulting with you.

I'm heading out tomorrow to replace a DSL modem powering a ATM, and while checking the paperwork for it, I found out that I installed this machine 10 years ago.
Its funny to think that for all the poo poo in this job that has changed in 10 years, going from a department of 2 to 8, company has grown over 700 employees, IT has grown from 20ish people to over 50 and all the huge leaps in technology, 10 years later I'm still dealing with goddamn DSL modems.
At least this time its not -20 outside.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

dennyk posted:

Reminds me of when we had to take a look at this one Mac Server that one of our departments owned (literally the only Mac system in our entire massive company) because one of the users reported that it was throwing a RAID error on login. After finally figuring out how to access the thing and get to the RAID control panel (none of us knew anything about Macs), we discovered that (a) the RAID error was literally three years old and had long since been fixed (apparently the Mac RAID utility pops up generic "Hey, your RAID is broke!" error messages on boot if there are any errors at all in the log file, regardless of their age or the current condition of the RAID arrays), and (b) whoever built the server originally took the four 1TB drives and created four 1TB RAID 0 arrays with one member each. :cripes: One was mounted as the system drive and the other three were mounted as secondary filesystems and had never been used.

As someone who works with Macs day in and day out, this makes me sad. It's unfortunately cases like that which lead people to writing off the whole platform, when in actuality it's just an inexperienced user/admin setting things up in a screwy way. (I'm not saying you did anything wrong - I'm referring to the four single-member arrays.)

There are things I'd do abysmally wrong in setting up a Windows server instead of Linux/OS X, so I'm not sure why a large number of admins out there want to just hamfist their way through a Mac setup.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Sickening posted:

The basics are easy but there is plenty of stuff that just isn't that mainstream. For example, did you know that you if downloaded windows updates seperately and added them to the packages that your installation is going to fail? Its due to some windows updates that were made aren't offline installable. Sometimes these updates are documented, sometimes they aren't, and its basically trial and error to figure out which updates are going to blow up your installation. There are a ton of other things just like that have been bugged for years that they haven't gotten around to fix.

No, see the shittiest thing is Windows Features in Server 2012/2012 R2. If you install a Core install, not much gets installed. If you then go to install features, you can install them from Windows Update (I think) or your original install media, easy peasy (as easy peasy as any command line driven Microsoft action). So let's say you've patched your Core install, and you want to add a feature. It won't work from Windows Update, for whatever reason, and it won't install from your original media, because since you've patched your OS, your OS and the install media are at different versions.

So the solution is to keep a copy of the install media on a network share somewhere, and when you apply updates to your Servers, you have to manually download the patch files and apply them to that media using dism. Is there an easy way to see what patches you need and apply a bunch into your offline media? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I had this thought, and a friend that works in Development in Microsoft basically confirmed it, that Microsoft really has no idea what they're doing, they just have a bunch of teams doing things and somehow it makes some kind of OS, but nobody is really making sure it all works together in a sane way.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

File for unemployment. Cite the ridiculous changes in your reporting structure and number of people managing you as constructive dismissal. lump in any other cases where they undercut the authority your title says you should have had,

Worst case, the HR Manager has to waste some time filling out a form to deny you something you weren't counting on anyway,

In the Bay Area there's ton of contracting work going around, a lot of it is desktop work but having that on your resume isn't as bad as having a gap. Trust me on that one. Get on Careerbuilder.com, I've had more agency reps mention that site in the last three months than have ever mentioned Dice or Monster. Agencies with active work in the Bay Area include SMCi (highly competent and decent human beings), Insight Global, DCIS, and (they laugh at the name too) Xtreme Consulting. PM me for direct contacts at any or all of those agencies (offer open to any goon).

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

FISHMANPET posted:

Server 2012/2012 R2

Yeah, every VM we have of 2012/R2 is the standard GUI install because gently caress figuring out how to make a Core install do anything.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

less than three posted:

Yeah, every VM we have of 2012/R2 is the standard GUI install because gently caress figuring out how to make a Core install do anything.

true.dat

Edit: Especially true if the server role isn't 100% specced out before the setup (and will never change afterwards!)

Crowley fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 3, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A month later and our VDI image is still hosed up and I keep getting a temporary profile. And now, on top of that, half of the shortcuts in the start menu don't work so I have to manually search for the actual executables each time I log in.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
poo poo not pissing me off: Renegotiated my contract, all that "attendance bonus" poo poo is now in my basic salary and I get sick days like a worker at any other company.

This is great, because it means that the overtime I did this month is going to be paid at the higher rate :toot:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I don't know if I 100% agree with the idea that you write off companies that you leave, but generally it's a good idea. The only time I've made an exception is when I had an ally in the company who could specifically offer me something valuable in exchange. It sounds a bit mercenary, but it's business. I helped out quite a bit and stuck around longer than I would have otherwise when my last company got bought because the former owner asked me to. But he also offered to throw all of his resources behind getting me a new job, and that worked out really well.

Don't do it out of the kindness of your heart. But don't refuse to do it if there's perhaps some good money in it or if you can get a really valuable connection out of it.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I think my next career goal is to have - if not a job title that guarantees it - the understanding that I am not expected to ever touch printers again.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

I don't know if I 100% agree with the idea that you write off companies that you leave, but generally it's a good idea. The only time I've made an exception is when I had an ally in the company who could specifically offer me something valuable in exchange. It sounds a bit mercenary, but it's business. I helped out quite a bit and stuck around longer than I would have otherwise when my last company got bought because the former owner asked me to. But he also offered to throw all of his resources behind getting me a new job, and that worked out really well.

Don't do it out of the kindness of your heart. But don't refuse to do it if there's perhaps some good money in it or if you can get a really valuable connection out of it.

The way I look at it is pretty straight forward. Businesses exist to make money and in general will want to make as much as possible, and 99% of the time that means getting labor for as cheap as they can.

You want to make the most money as possible, and therefor your goal is mutually exclusive from a business. You should never work for a business for freebies, because they will expect them in the future. And in return, the business should never expect you to work for free, and it's your job to make sure both of those things remain true, as all businesses should be treated like a giant toddler running around.

The lack of spine in this thread sometimes makes me really sad, because there are some very talented people here that let the business do whatever they want whenever they want. :smith:

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I think my next career goal is to have - if not a job title that guarantees it - the understanding that I am not expected to ever touch printers again.

~*~*Senior*~*~ DNEP Admin.

Doing (the)
Needful
Except
Printers

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 3, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Things pissing me off: agencies that use public address space with odd prefix lengths and non-standard default gateways on their internal networks. Sure, we've got a /22 address block! You know what, let's put the default gateway somewhere in the middle of that range just for shits and giggles.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I figured I had nothing to lose so I sent a LinkedIn reference request to all the top staff at the place I just left. Perhaps there will be some fresh guilt in the air.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
poo poo pissing me off? Gerrit is the primary git interface we use at work (small 4 man operation.)

I get in this morning to a message from google saying that in April they won't be supporting OpenID2 anymore. Time to upgrade Gerrit!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I just drove to one of our sites to install a new printer. When I got there, I found that the locks had been changed without my knowledge. Site is closed for the day so there's no one to let me in, either.

:tizzy:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm edging on DT levels of rage quitting. Over the last few months I have watched my company loose 95% of it's knowledge base as people have quit. Another person is leaving today and at least 6 more are interviewing/waiting on offers. Projects are being started/stopped/shelved constantly. Every project "makes or brakes the company". We're loosing tons of cash due to people sitting idle as the contracts change and end up billing to overhead. My boss is essentially non existent and the only time I hear from him is when there is a problem. I have not been allowed to spend my IT budget, outside of small $100 purchases to keep things going. There's at least a dozen issues I can't fix due to this. (No antivirus/5 year old VM hosts/5 year old 100TB NAS that looses drives monthly and I'm going to run out/ etc.) The final straw was two weeks ago when our R+D director quit, because the upper management screwed the project he had just spent 9 months working on. He was a good guy and a good friend. We were set to merge with another firm, but that dried up after yet another finance audit caused them to devalue the offer and both parties walked. It's a mess. I want to go work for the firm who wanted to acquire us, but as long as I work here, they won't talk to me due to solicitation concerns. I know it's time to jump, so I'm working on my resume/linkedin. The lazy half of me wants to keep collecting a paycheck for essentially doing nothing and the rage side of me wants to quit and walk over to the other firm and see if they have a position for me. Finding a new position is going to be difficult- I'm 100% self taught with years of experience- but I doubt I can find another local company doing the HPC/ZFS work I've spent the last three years working on. At least if I rage quit there's a slight chance I could walk in to another local firm that wants to do HPC/ZFS.
\rant

In other news, outside of LinkedIn- where else should I be looking?

the spyder fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 3, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

the spyder posted:

In other news, outside of LinkedIn- where else should I be looking?

I'm using Dice, Monster and Careerbuilder. I've always had profiles there, just time to update them and make sure the search agents are active.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Indeed.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
This is a website, he's not just agreeing.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

anthonypants posted:

This is a website, he's not just agreeing.

USAJOBS if you want to work for the feds. Pay's not great and there's all the usual bureaucracy, but it has jobs, especially if you live in an area that has a big government presence.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I just had two (*2*) people call to tell me the Ricoh tech had arrived in the building, asking what he needed to look at?

We have four printers in this building. One of them is a Ricoh. It is the most widely used printer. It's name is 'Admin Ricoh'. Gee I don't know maybe the Ricoh tech is here to look at the Ricoh??????????????

make this day enddddddddd

:smithicide:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Today somebody sounded really shocked and kind of angry that I couldn't help them set up a printer until they unboxed it and plugged it into a power source.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I don't know if this is more for Software Engineers, but updating your resume on LinkedIn makes the recruiters jump out of the woodwork.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

1) I just got assigned a project. I was told the guy who approves IT purchasing has a spreadsheet he'd like to be turned into a web application. Alright, let's take a look at this thing...

:pusheen:

If you thought mega-PSTs were bad just wait until you get handed a spreadsheet with 13 workbooks containing 20 loving years of budgets, purchases, transactions, software maintenance fees/schedules, mobile device plans/fees, government credit card purchases, and just workbooks tracking all of the paperwork that the government requires for all of the aforementioned purchases. All in a single goddamn spreadsheet. And they clearly just copied and pasted tables over and over in the same workbook for each year but made minor formatting changes so there's no loving way I'm going to be able to export that data. Especially when I'm looking at fields that should have dollar amounts but instead just say "??? - waiting on total amount from jerry"

2) They've instituted a No Alcohol policy for this year's office gift exchange :argh:

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 3, 2014

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I wrote a flexible modular testing suite for a company over the last few weeks. I under promissed and over delivered.

They called me today upset that it doesn't work on boards that don't boot. :psyduck:

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Today it's me pissing me off. Having a text file of passwords on a network drive finally bit me in the rear end. It's just two of us with access which is why it probably worked for so long. Yesterday I added passwords for two new systems. Other guy must have had it open and closed it after my save because the passwords are gone today. Time to set up KeePass...

One password is for a Ubiquiti product that is easy enough to recover. The other one is for a surveillance system DVR. Their website says I need to install some client software, take a screenshot and email it to them to get a recovery code. Instructions are Engrish and don't match the software. The software itself is a mess too, and installs an nginx server for some reason.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
So for the goddamn umpteenth time in four months our office internet goes out.

This has happened before, it has happened again, it WILL happen again. Our goddamn Network Manager STILL hasn't switched ISP's.

We don't actually have a failover solution in place because apparently having Internet isn't required to do our job. Our Network Engineers manual failover method? Manually switch the router cables to a backup ISP.

You read that right.

The best part? We moved to Office 365 two months ago. You would think that since it's cloud based, we could at least be working from home?

NOPE. In all our wisdom, we have decided to host our ADFS out of our office, and REQUIRE people to authenticate against it when logging into Office 365.

So our cloud based Outlook solution requires you to hit a server in our office in order to even log in.

I can't even :psyduck:

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

ratbert90 posted:

I wrote a flexible modular testing suite for a company over the last few weeks. I under promissed and over delivered.

They called me today upset that it doesn't work on boards that don't boot. :psyduck:

"So, what you're telling me is that you're upset because the key I made won't open the door to your burned down house?"

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ratbert90 posted:

You want to make the most money as possible, and therefor your goal is mutually exclusive from a business. You should never work for a business for freebies, because they will expect them in the future. And in return, the business should never expect you to work for free, and it's your job to make sure both of those things remain true, as all businesses should be treated like a giant toddler running around.

Yep. Make friends. Be loyal, do extra if you need to.

But never forget: If the company could somehow pay you $0 tomorrow or let you go without any consequence, they would without hesitation. That's fine, if you didn't need to work there to make money, you'd quit, too.

It's a business transaction, each and every day, and always will be.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

rolleyes posted:

"So, what you're telling me is that you're upset because the key I made won't open the door to your burned down house?"

I told them they would need a bed of nails for what they where asking and they scoffed at me and changed the subject. :v:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Thanks CenturyLink for sending a replacement modem with the wrong goddamn power brick with it. Thankfully the old modem's adapter kinda fits, but goddamn it.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
I guess firing the bottom 10% of our engineers is one way to be able to have salary increases in 2015 without upsetting the board. :argh: Resigning Monday, pretty okay with my timing on that. I literally joked that they would be firing people to do this, but that was just supposed to be a horrible cynical thing that I say, not something the company actually does. Jesus Christ.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
This week. This loving week.

Some time stupidly early on Saturday morning, our building suffered a power failure. We didn't know it then, but some construction across the street literally jackhammered into the mains. The guy's still in the hospital, and it took the local power company a few hours to replace the exploded transformer(s). We assumed it was related to the whopping inch of snow we got that night...

Our UPSes ran out way before power was restored. Our UPSes aren't connected to our gear in a way that lets us do safe shutdowns.

Our firewalls don't come up sanely. We knew this would happen, but nothing bad enough had ever happened that made Management actually understand that scheduling time to fix it was important.

I failed to walk my manager through bringing the firewall up, so I had to drive 300 miles back to the office to fix it.

It ended up not just being the firewalls being stupid, but the switches they were attached to also deciding, suddenly, to begin putting inappropriate traffic across an LACP bond. No idea how or why they decided that was a good idea, but it confused the gently caress out of the firewall.

So I thought we got that set, but the network was really, really bizarrely slow at times. Our switches are prehistoric and don't have effective monitoring tools, so all I could see is lots and lots of multicast. Like, saturating GigE multicast. IPv6 multicast from sleeping Intel nics, as it happens. This only started after the power outage? Really? The hell.

The outage also fried our internet gateway. It gave me an excuse to replace it. It'd been acting flaky lately, with the nic port attached to our fiber provider's gear tripping itself into half duplex constantly.

So I replaced it with a new and shiny thing, but the blasted thing remained half duplex. The gently caress? Of course, then the provider plays hard-to-contact, and we ended up smacking a few VPs before getting a callback. It turns out that their gear almost always hates autonegoation, so they hard-code it to 100mbit full duplex. Well it happens that our new gear also hates being hardcoded. We set both sides to autonegotiate and yay, it worked.

That's when we noticed that upstream was being almost completely saturated.

It turns out that our new phone provider's VPN device is running an unpatched ntpd and we've been contributing to a reflection attack for who the hell knows how long because we didn't have any sort of monitoring outside of our firewall.

All of this and the network is still being a bitch...

This week, man. This week.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Wicaeed posted:

NOPE. In all our wisdom, we have decided to host our ADFS out of our office, and REQUIRE people to authenticate against it when logging into Office 365.

So our cloud based Outlook solution requires you to hit a server in our office in order to even log in.

Hahahahahaha....

I'm sorry, I'm not laughing at you, instead laughing at how bad a situation I was on the edge of could have been. One of my customers for which I do a sort of MSP thing for hired an "IT Guy" a few months ago in an attempt to save money (as if we were charging anywhere close to what a salaried employee costs). His big project when he finally decided to start doing something two months in was exactly this, getting their Office 365 system tied to their in-house AD for single signon and all that stuff.

He hosed it up horribly after going against our advice on it and ended up getting fired a few weeks later, presumably when they realized that literally the only thing he had ever attempted to do went down in flames, but I had never thought it through and realized what a time bomb he would have created had it actually been finished. Their main site, presumably where O365 would have been talking to, was having horrible internet performance at the time due to another self-caused problem.

I sort of wish he had lasted a little while longer so it could have been a slower burn to a larger explosion.

McGlockenshire posted:

It turns out that their gear almost always hates autonegoation, so they hard-code it to 100mbit full duplex.

Something else that pisses me the hell off. How is it in 20-loving-14 still acceptable for "this doesn't autonegotiate right" to be acceptable? I have the same poo poo to deal with at a few of my customers who have fiber. Linksys and practically every other vendor got it right literally over a decade ago on consumer-grade crapware, yet hardware with four or five digit MSRPs still can't do it properly. If you can't do autonegotiation in 2014 you shouldn't ever do ethernet again.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 4, 2014

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My lead got pissed because I took too long on a ticket.

I thought the computer wasn't in regular use and offsite work, other tickets and the holiday got in the way, but honestly? Fair enough, I dropped the ball on that one. But he immediately went to doing team wide emails regarding procedure and basically putting my poo poo on blast. Meanwhile, another guy is notorious about doing very few tickets at all and leaving poo poo half done and actually deployed, with no such emails. This of course all goes down today while I'm 100 miles away at a different site, which makes me feel pretty helpless since people are pissed off at me about something I can do nothing about.

This is what I hate the most about offsite work. It forces me to leave things hanging and I get nasty emails over it.

Also telecom is pissed at me because I'm giving them stupid tasks to do because a go live team needs a conference room which doesn't have poo poo other ones already do. I'm somehow that team's concierge this year (last year was much smoother) because I'm managing the actual updating and I'm getting kind of sick of being in the middle of everything.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 4, 2014

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I made it through the day without quitting. Let's see if I can make it through the week. Ironically enough, planning to leave has made me want to fix all the little issues and I got a ton done today :unsmith:.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

Wicaeed posted:

So for the goddamn umpteenth time in four months our office internet goes out.

This has happened before, it has happened again, it WILL happen again. Our goddamn Network Manager STILL hasn't switched ISP's.

We don't actually have a failover solution in place because apparently having Internet isn't required to do our job. Our Network Engineers manual failover method? Manually switch the router cables to a backup ISP.

You read that right.

The best part? We moved to Office 365 two months ago. You would think that since it's cloud based, we could at least be working from home?

Dirsync with password sync! Unless there's a good goddamn reason you have to use ADFS, don't! You get same sign-on and you're not tied to any single server or server farm to log on, and no loving around with ADFS proxies! If someone tells you that you have to use ADFS for a hybrid configuration they're a goddamn liar or they're doing some special snowflake bullshit.

I roll a new one of these out practically every month or two these days, I wish to hell I knew who keeps telling people they have to use ADFS with O365 (Besides ancient technet articles of course :v:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

To be fair ADFS was the only legitimate way to deploy o365 when it first launched. The original dirsync had a bizarre limitation that prevented it from running on x64 machines (post 2008 R2 SP1). They've come a long way but they totally soured those who had to initially configure their infrastructure for o365.

This is why you see terrible ADFS deployments everywhere: the admins were too battlescarred to go back and spin up dirsync and they now have a convenient scapegoat why "cloud" doesn't work in all situations, when it totally does for email.