Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Metal Meltdown posted:

diminishing hp returns kick in after 10

This is what happens. After level 9 or 10, classes get a set amount of HP per level, either 1, 2 or 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Hypocrisy posted:

In 2E past a certain level you only get like 1-3 HP per level depending on class.

Yeah, that's working as intended, you can see the charts in the manual. Most classes top out on die rolls for hit points at level 9 or 10.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Ah, one of those details that has escaped me in the decade or so since I last played a 2E game. Thanks for the replies.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Hypocrisy posted:

In 2E past a certain level you only get like 1-3 HP per level depending on class.

Yeah, there was no roll after a certain level, just a set amount. This prevented ridiculous HP inflation and meant a dragon could have like 80 HP but still be a threat.

e. beaten by everybody, should have went to the next page.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Pwnstar posted:

The rumours in bars are all just flavour right? I stopped using them pretty much immediately after I started playing these games over a decade ago and I dont remember them ever being useful for anything.

Some of them kind of point you towards the mainquest and various sidequests, but they tend to be pretty vague an useless in a "THERE IS SOME BAD poo poo BREWING DOWN SHOUTH I HEAR" sort of way.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
Nerfed HP gains after 10 are also part of the reason why the fighter/mage multiclass is so popular (and OP).

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I just got to the city in BG1 and this is boring as hell. It's big and empty, with a bunch of useless shops/npcs which don't do anything.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I usually ignore most of the side missions in BG1 main city and just do the stat up quests. Then I rush to the end because I'd rather be tortured by a bald elf than stay in BG1.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
There's lots to do in the Gate - it's just less than clearly obvious, and you end up wandering around pretty aimlessly to find the interesting bits if you don't know or remember where things are. I find it OK even when I've forgotten where some of the encounters/quests appear after a year away, because I do at least know they're there and I'll stumble over them as I go. But a new person can't have that advantage, obviously.

They did give you a start, though. Follow up on the guy who met you on the bridge, Scar. His questline will take you around the city a bit and you can run into other stuff as you fill it in.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Still pretty early in my first time playing BG2. I find myself hoarding objects and I don't know what to keep. At some point I must have had 30 scrolls between all my characters and I don't even have a mage in my party (p.s. where can I find a mage since my first one got kidnapped?). It's compounded when one of my dudes die and I have to collect all their poo poo. How should I be dealing with inventory? I take it there's no permanent storage options?

Right now my party consists of: myself (Berserker), Misnc, Jaheira, Korgan, Hexxat, Yoshimo.

So far I have accidentally stumbled upon some sort of slaver's den above the Copper Coronet and revealed the real Hexxat.

klaphark
Mar 10, 2013
There's a mage in the circus tent

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also one in the Government District. Only hitch there is Viconia's stuff triggers in that area, so you might have to fight the inquisition.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

me your dad posted:

Still pretty early in my first time playing BG2. I find myself hoarding objects and I don't know what to keep. At some point I must have had 30 scrolls between all my characters and I don't even have a mage in my party (p.s. where can I find a mage since my first one got kidnapped?). It's compounded when one of my dudes die and I have to collect all their poo poo. How should I be dealing with inventory? I take it there's no permanent storage options?

Right now my party consists of: myself (Berserker), Misnc, Jaheira, Korgan, Hexxat, Yoshimo.

So far I have accidentally stumbled upon some sort of slaver's den above the Copper Coronet and revealed the real Hexxat.

Aside from Imoen, there are 4 joinable mages (I guess 5 since you're playing EE, but I don't have that and don't know where she is). One is in the Copper Coronet, and she should walk up to you and offer you a quest, one is in the government district, one is in the docks, but you need to start doing quests for the Shadow Thieves, go there and Yoshimo will tell you how to get the ball rolling, and the last one is in the circus tent in the slums.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

And the limited inventory space is just a problem you have to deal with. You can buy a gem bag and a scroll case, and eventually get additional storage bags that reduce the carry weight in addition to holding a bunch of items, but that's it.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

It fills my heart with joy to read about someone playing BG2 for the first time. Please keep posting.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
get the scroll case and the gem bag immediately, they're both life savers until you get a bag of holding later on in the game. potion case & ammo belt, too although they're not quite as must.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
If you're playing on the PC I can't recommend enough to just cheat a bag of holding in.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
All containers are permanent, except for two maps

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

me your dad posted:

How should I be dealing with inventory? I take it there's no permanent storage options?

Stick with Hexxat for a while, and she should give you an item that helps a great deal. You can kick her later if you like, but she'll saddle you with an undroppable item. Trade-off is worth it.

E: Also get a scroll case and a gem bag, yeah. I think there's only one potion case, which you can buy at the entrance to Watcher's Keep.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 4, 2014

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
If you are a really compulsive hoarder you can put stuff in chests, drawers, barrels and so on out in the world. They're all* permanent so you can come back and get your stuff whenever you want.

*well, almost all

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I know it would completely wreck the game balance-wise, but is there any way at all to use the BG2 class kits in IWD1? I know the original IWD didn't have support for them coded in because it came out before BG2, but I wonder if it might be possible with the EE versions?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Zephro posted:

I know it would completely wreck the game balance-wise, but is there any way at all to use the BG2 class kits in IWD1? I know the original IWD didn't have support for them coded in because it came out before BG2, but I wonder if it might be possible with the EE versions?

IWDEE has the BG2 kits + new ones introduced by the various EE games.

And yeah, it does wreck the balance.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Attestant posted:

Awesome, thanks. Now I just have to decide if it's worth buying EE just so I can break the game with Inquisitors and Blades...

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Attestant posted:

Archer, particularly, is broken as gently caress. I'm not really sure why they added them; IWD's appeal was always the dungeon crawls.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I've just reached Dorn's Deep in Icewind Dale EE. As a percentage, how far through the game am I?

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

BadAstronaut posted:

I've just reached Dorn's Deep in Icewind Dale EE. As a percentage, how far through the game am I?

Assuming you mean upper Dorns Deep, about 2/3rds of the base game.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I can confirm that archers wreck the hell out of the balance of IWD. Mine does more sustained damage per round than my three melee characters put together.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Same, I just checked my Lvl 16 Archer, she has -18 THAC0, 5 attacks per round, and does 21-26 + 2d6 damage per acid arrow.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
that game is best played without kits. there's not much content besides combat, and if you make it a breeze you just end up walking a lot following a minimal plot.

well, the art is gorgeous.

speaking of IWD, I've been meaning to start playing it but I have a problem. I just can't get around to making 5 npcs, heh. Deciding one is hard enough.

So, you guys wanna help me out? Post base class builds or character files and I'll pick a reasonably balanced party.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I owned all these isometric 2nd edition D&D games as a kid but never actually got around to finishing any of them, which I'm trying to rectify now. I was home sick for the last couple of days so I started a new IWD game and made it partway through the temple you go check out after clearing the Vale of Shadows.

Here's my party, which I've been enjoying quite a bit:

1. Dwarven Berzerker, specialized in axes and two weapon style.
2. Human Fighter, dualed to Cleric at level 3, specialized in war hammers and sword & shield.
3. Half-elf Druid
4. Half-elf Bard
5. Elf Mage/Thief specialized in short bows and daggers
6. Half-elf Sorceror

I know you said you don't like kits, but swapping #1 and #6 out for their base-class equivalents wouldn't really make that much of a difference IMO. To be honest I forget to use the berzerker rage ability half the time so #1 is basically just a pure fighter, and the sorceror is there mainly because I find mages to be super tedious at low level and just end up resting a ton so I can actually use some goddamn spells.

Question: do you get any decent magic 1H axes fairly early on? Everybody in my party has +1 weapons at this point except the dwarf. Kind of sucks having your main fighter not be able to hit poo poo, especially in that section of Kresselack's tomb where you run into a ton of wights, shadows, mummies, etc.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 4, 2014

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

I'll suggest half a party.

Human Paladin, long sword
Gnome Illusionist/Thief, daggers and short bows
Half-Elf Bard, long bows and whatever melee weapons your fighter(s) aren't using.

This will cover your buying/talking, traps, locks, pickpocketing and arcane casting. Maybe try out a monk? There are a few monk fist item drops throughout the game. I know you said you don't want kits, but a monk may be more challenging than most kits at low-levels.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

Question: do you get any decent magic 1H axes fairly early on? Everybody in my party has +1 weapons at this point except the dwarf. Kind of sucks having your main fighter not be able to hit poo poo, especially in that section of Kresselack's tomb where you run into a ton of wights, shadows, mummies, etc.

I found a Battle Axe + 2 (Defender) in the location after the one you are currently at. However, the loot in IWD is semi random so you might not be so lucky. My party also has a Dwarf Beserker with two battle axes. He is a monster, but not even close to how good my Elf ranger is.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

mitochondritom posted:

I found a Battle Axe + 2 (Defender) in the location after the one you are currently at. However, the loot in IWD is semi random so you might not be so lucky. My party also has a Dwarf Beserker with two battle axes. He is a monster, but not even close to how good my Elf ranger is.

My Archer can generally kill a monster before 2 of my dual-wielding melee dudes kill the one they are attacking, it's pretty crazy.

re Axes: There are some pretty great axe drops, you'll find some soon. I got lucky and picked up a Battle Axe + 1 off a temple guardian, but you should get a nice axe in the next dungeon or two.

Pivotal Lever fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 4, 2014

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

It's not too bad if you play with the under powered kits. Something like shapeshifter, beastmaster, or wizard slayer. But some kits will wreck everything: An archer, kensai, or wild mage is hilariously broken. Oddly enough, inquisitors aren't nearly as good because of the lack of mages. I'd personally rather take an undead hunter or Cavalier.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

MegaGatts posted:

It's not too bad if you play with the under powered kits. Something like shapeshifter, beastmaster, or wizard slayer. But some kits will wreck everything: An archer, kensai, or wild mage is hilariously broken. Oddly enough, inquisitors aren't nearly as good because of the lack of mages. I'd personally rather take an undead hunter or Cavalier.

I actually don't think wild mage is especially busted. You pay for that extra slot with usually less than helpful surges and your caster level sliding all over the place. I'm using one right now and I wouldn't classify it as the ideal option but they're still effective and drat funny.

I'll also vouch for the dwarven defender. Having only a max of 4 proficiency is annoying but holy drat what a loving tank they are. Mine was getting 17 hp a level and takes drastically reduced damage even without using defensive stance. I also appreciate some of the new kits. I've also got a sun soul monk and am finding him better than the vanilla monk, especially with all the undead in IWD.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

MegaGatts posted:

'd personally rather take an undead hunter or Cavalier.

I got a bit of mileage out of an Undead Hunter in the Vale of Shadows, he made insane mode quite simple as most of the monsters spent time either exploding immediately or running away. I am hoping turn undead works on the ghosts in the elf place and even more so in the expansion areas.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I'm currently playing IWN:EE and those Umber Hulks that ambush you to open up the way for Pale Justice wont show up. Was this changed or is it a bug?

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Disco Infiva posted:

I'm currently playing IWN:EE and those Umber Hulks that ambush you to open up the way for Pale Justice wont show up. Was this changed or is it a bug?

Hmmm, I didn't notice on my play through. If you're on the PC you can always console your way up there if all else fails.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

MegaGatts posted:

Hmmm, I didn't notice on my play through. If you're on the PC you can always console your way up there if all else fails.

Thanks, will see if something pops up later regarding the sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

J

Disco Infiva posted:

Thanks, will see if something pops up later regarding the sword.

It very well could be a bug though. I didn't have a paladin so I wasn't really looking for it.