Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Nick Champion was ejected for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Nick Chimpion

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

In Johnston's leaked receipts, it's interesting that the EFTPOS receipt is the merchant copy.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Question Time is just bananas.

MaxwellsEquations
Oct 21, 2010

He achieved greatness unequalled
-Max Planck

Effigy posted:

An officer whose opinion I rate said he was once in a brief/Q&A with Johnston, and the mans knowledge of his portfolio was first rate. He was hammered with loads of questions about defence policy and provided every time a well thought out in depth answer. Seems to me that Johnston might be poo poo at politics but a good manager.

Bad at politics is one thing, plenty of politicians are bad at the politics but great at their area of interest. But what type of procurement manager goes out and says they wouldn't trust a major supplier to supply anything, just before a multi-billion dollar tendering process? How could anything think that the process is going to be impartial? He needs to go, that much is obvious. You can't insult a major supplier, defend it as a 'rhetorical flourish' and expect to stay in charge.

Also, he needed two weeks to 'cool off' over the burnt hands debacle. Two whole weeks before he could emerge and answer any questions. Let me reiterate, he disappeared, then held a press conference where he spent his time attacking the journalists, as forcefully as a wet jellyfish, instead of the claims.
I've heard as well that the guy knows his military stuff, but he strikes me as a person who has a subscription to Janes, loves his table-top wargames and Band of Brothers but he clearly has little to no idea how to represent his portfolio.

FFS, this is a direct quote:

quote:

Asked whether it was possible to destroy the Islamic State, he replied: “Well, I believe it is. I believe the endgame is that we will disrupt and potentially destroy what is in the minds of the leadership of ISIL, and that is, to set up a separate caliphate state that is ruled by sharia law and all of the things that go with that.”

What does he even mean by this? How do you destroy something that is in someone's mind? What the gently caress does he mean by 'all the things that go with that'?

I'm just mystified that Abbott and Co. think they can weather this and push forward. It's obvious why, they don't want any signs of disunity at all, which makes me believe that not a single portfolio will change until the next election assuming Abbott remains in charge. But this is just dumb.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
The Liberal Party has ‘completely betrayed its core principles’ says Young Liberal Executive Team member in scathing resignation letter

http://www.news.com.au/national/the...tors_picks=true

quote:

A MEMBER of the Young Liberal Executive Team has resigned in disgust, saying the party has “completely betrayed its core principles”.
Marguerite Iliescu, 28, has written a frank assessment of the party’s failings in a resignation letter sent on December 1 to the Liberal Party’s Victorian division, criticising its lack of loyalty, its treatment of young people and abandonment of its core principles.

“I am greatly saddened that I have become ashamed to be a member of the Liberal Party, which has completely betrayed its core principles and let down its base, and the Victorian people,” she writes in a letter published by Menzies House.

“It is my view – and the view of many current members and members of staff whom I have spoken to – that the Liberal Party now obviously believes in nothing except perhaps the restriction of liberty and the electoral success of the Liberal Party.”
Her letter comes after the Denis Napthine-led party in Victoria lost government in its first term, the first time this has happened in more than 60 years.
Ms Iliescu told news.com.au that she had been concerned for some time about the party’s policies and intended to quit once the election was over regardless of the result. She was also concerned about the party’s direction nationally as well.

“The Abbott Government’s failure to repeal 18C and stand up for freedom of speech was extremely disappointing and new draconian data retention laws that completely violate our right to privacy whilst doing nothing to enhance our security are just a couple of my concerns,” she said.
Ms Iliescu joined the Victorian Liberal Party in 2012 and became a member of the executive team this year. During the election she assisted candidates such Jo Hagan, helping with doorknocking, letter boxing and handing out information in places such as shopping centres.
In her letter she said the party had failed spectacularly in being a “safe pair of economic hands”, and that the election campaign had consisted “almost entirely of cash splashing and vote buying”.
In her letter she also criticised the way in which the party had treated its candidates and party members, although she declined to name specific examples saying she believed it was up to those involved to speak up.
“I have no interest in being associated with a party that doesn’t stick by some of its people when they are unfairly attacked by the media and throws people under a bus for short term political gain,” she wrote in her letter.

“There is now an overwhelming and saddening view amongst the younger members of the Liberal Party that at the first sign of negative press the party will abandon them.”
She said the Labor Party seemed to value their young people and involve them in senior ranks of their campaign. In contrast, “the Liberal Party appears to see young people as a weakness and something to avoid, depriving the party of the new ideas and renewal that every party needs if it is to continue to grow.”
Policy wise, Ms Iliescu was critical of the party’s campaign against drug users, suspension of late-night liquor licensing, banning solariums, tobacco reforms and the removal of suspended sentences.
“I understood the principles of the Liberal Party to be the inalienable rights and freedoms of all peoples, a lean government that minimises interference in our daily lives, and maximises individual and private sector initiative,” she states.

“My frustration is shared by voters, who have made it very clear that they find the Victorian Liberal Party slightly more repulsive than the empty authoritarians in the ALP and Greens.”

The Melbourne resident said she was not the only Young Liberal with concerns about the direction of the party. She knew of others who had left but some had chosen to remain in the party and try to reform from within.
“I think ultimately the goal of all those who believe in liberalism is to keep the government in check so that we can live free, prosperous and happy lives – I don’t believe there is a “best” way to fight for individual liberty – there is only the right way for the individual,” she told news.com.au.
“Many of my Young Liberal friends have decided that the best way for them is to stay in the Liberal Party and try to reform it from within – I genuinely wish them all the best in that endeavour and I hope they are able to succeed in effecting change.”
While she said she would consider returning to the Liberal Party if she could see her concerns being addressed she said she did not know whether membership of a major party was right for her.
“I will continue to remain engaged with politics – particularly through organisations such as the Australian Taxpayers’ Alliance, which is a grassroots activist body dedicated to fighting over regulation, government waste and excessive taxation,” she told news.com.au.
“In terms of joining another party, I have not made a decision as yet; however I am impressed by the pro civil liberties stance of minor parties such as the Sex Party and the Liberal Democratic Party.”

LETTER IN FULL:

“Dear Mr (Damien) Mantach,
I write to you today to resign my membership of the Victorian Liberal Party.
I am greatly saddened that I have become ashamed to be a member of the Liberal Party, which has completely betrayed its core principles and let down its base, and the Victorian people.
I understood the principles of the Liberal Party to be the inalienable rights and freedoms of all peoples, a lean government that minimises interference in our daily lives, and maximises individual and private sector initiative. Indeed, the Liberal Party’s national website states: “… we simply believe in individual freedom and free enterprise; and if you share this belief, then ours is the Party for you.”
It is my view – and the view of many current members and members of staff whom I have spoken to – that the Liberal Party now obviously believes in nothing except perhaps the restriction of liberty and the electoral success of the Liberal Party.

I will no longer let my name, time, or labour be channelled into enacting the restriction and taxation that the Liberal Party now pursues almost exclusively.
In terms of being a “safe pair of economic hands” the Liberal Party has failed spectacularly. The Napthine Government certainly could not be accused of being “illiberal” in terms of expenditure – the election campaign consisted almost entirely of cash splashing and vote buying.
The parliamentary Party now violates individual freedom and hampers free enterprise as a matter of routine. The atrocious “unexplained wealth seizure” laws are a clear repudiation of the rule of law: a violation of the most basic principles of our legal system.

The avid campaign against drug users does no more than exploit fear to promote the militant repression of the most vulnerable members of our society. The further suspension of late-night liquor licensing – besides betraying a fundamental distrust for individuals ability to exercise their liberty responsibly – is a blow to the entertainment industry, as is the extremely stupid ban on ‘cage-fighting’.
I am equally disturbed by the many and varied ways the Coalition has acted to limit personal freedoms: banning solariums, punitive tobacco reforms, not to also mention the completely unjustified removal of suspended sentences.
My frustration is shared by voters, who have made it very clear that they find the Victorian Liberal Party slightly more repulsive than the empty authoritarians in the ALP and Greens. It should be no surprise that the state election results for minor parties in the Legislative Council rose from under 10 per cent, to a staggering almost 25 per cent as voters, including many Liberal Party members, sought to vote for parties who actually stand for something.

Lastly, the manner in which you have treated both candidates and party members that have come to media attention has been absolutely appalling and shameful. Any principled organisation must show loyalty to its members.
I have no interest in being associated with a party that doesn’t stick by some of its people when they are unfairly attacked by the media and throws people under a bus for short term political gain.
I believe in second chances, and we know from history that some of the greatest advocates for liberty and freedom have been converts from other unpleasant ideologies. Those who have come to liberalism from repugnant ideologies should be praised and used as advocates for de-radicalisation, not shunned and banished from the party.

That other self-serving, unloyal, unprincipled authoritarians, men without any values, are allowed to vocally and publicly represent the Party simply adds insult to injury.
In contrast, Labor stood by Daniel Andrew’s CoS and their Assistant State Secretary in the face of media hype in relation to the “Dictaphone Scandal”. There is now an overwhelming and saddening view amongst the younger members of the Liberal Party that at the first sign of negative press the party will abandon them. This is adding fuel to many who are disengaging and avoiding involvement in party politics.
Labor values their young people, involves them in senior ranks of their campaign. The Liberal Party appears to see young people as a weakness and something to avoid, depriving the party of the new ideas and renewal that every party needs if it is to continue to grow.

I suspect you will be receiving a lot of feedback in this vein and I truly hope you take this on board if the Liberal Party ever wishes to be a viable option for the people of Victoria.
Accordingly, it is my hope that the Victorian Liberal Party will learn the lesson that stares us in the face right around the country, and will search deep inside itself for its soul, lopping off the poisonous, vacuous growths that are strangling what was once the greatest force for the advancement and aspiration of the Australian people and nation.
Yours sincerely
Marguerite Iliescu.”

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Halo14 posted:

quote:

The Liberal Party appears to see young people as a weakness and something to avoid

I guess they've worked out the Liberal Party core ethos then

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Did she think they were actually liberal or what?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Liberal, Libertarian.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Halo14 posted:

The Liberal Party has ‘completely betrayed its core principles’ says Young Liberal Executive Team member in scathing resignation letter

Ahahaha yeah why is the liberal party of today a bunch of authoritarian power-seekers instead of being beautiful, ideologically pure libertarians like they were under Howard???

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Have the Liberals ever been libertarians?

Myall
Jan 9, 2010

IslamoNazi posted:

Nick Champion was ejected for this

What's the story behind this?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Contra Duck posted:

Ahahaha yeah why is the liberal party of today a bunch of authoritarian power-seekers instead of being beautiful, ideologically pure libertarians like they were under Howard???
I wonder how they'd process the public spending and nationalisation programs of old-school tories (Menzies, Playford etc)?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

This is just baffling. Between being dumb fascists and staunch monarchists, I don't think the Liberal party have ever espoused any kind of actual liberalism.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Wisdom Suppository posted:

What's the story behind this?

Julie Bishop apparently 'went bananas' at Tony Abbott after NTATA ordered her to be chaperoned by Robb to a climate summit next week

Myall
Jan 9, 2010

Government shelves PBS medicines co-payment plan; move will cost budget $20 million a month

quote:

Patients have been given a reprieve with the Federal Government shelving plans to increase the cost of prescription drugs, in a move that will cost the budget $20 million a month.

In May, the Government announced co-payments for medicines on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) would increase by $5 for general patients, and 80 cents for concession card holders from January 1, 2015.

However, the legislation does not have enough support to pass the Upper House and was today removed from the Senate's Order of Business, meaning it will not be debated before Parliament rises for the year.

Health Minister Peter Dutton insists it is good policy and said he was determined to get it through.

"It is clear that the Labor Party will not support what is a sensible measure in the Senate and it remains the Government's policy to implement this change," he said.

"Whilst the measure is delayed in the Senate, it costs the budget bottom line $20 million a month."

Mr Dutton said he would continue to negotiate with crossbench senators over the summer break and said he would "be happy to compromise" on the proposed $5 increase.

"We are happy to negotiate if there's a sensible position that can be arrived at," he said.

"I think the independent senators will strike a deal on this issue because they want to make sure Medicare is sustainable, they've got the same intent as the Government.

"For a drug that can cost about $10,000 per script, people at the moment are paying $6 for each of those scripts.

"We have to get a reasonable balance in place and that's what the Government has put forward."

It is not the only fight the minister has on his hands, he is still trying to convince enough Senate crossbenchers to support the proposed $7 GP co-payment.

Labor and the Greens oppose the policy and this week, Federal MP Clive Palmer declared it "dead".

"Mark my words, there will be no co-payment," Mr Palmer told reporters on Wednesday.

"It's finished, it's wrapped up, it's been put to bed, it's not going to happen, finito, gone, no adjustments, no negotiations, no twigging, the co-payment is dead, absolutely dead, finished, gone and buried."

Mr Dutton admits the "current version" of the policy does not have the numbers to get through but he remains optimistic that a compromise can be found.

"This is a long-running process and we have a start date of July 1 next year for the co-payment," he said.

"We believe that we've still got more time to negotiate and there's a lot of detail involved in these negotiations."

Mr Dutton would not rule out bypassing the Parliament and introducing the co-payment via regulation rather than legislation.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-04/government-shelves-proposed-co-payment-for-pbs-medicines/5943270

I'm not surprised they'd try and sneak this in the back door.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Wisdom Suppository posted:

Government shelves PBS medicines co-payment plan; move will cost budget $20 million a month

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-04/government-shelves-proposed-co-payment-for-pbs-medicines/5943270

I'm not surprised they'd try and sneak this in the back door.

By now the opposition should just keep screaming "MANDATE" at the govt

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Halo14 posted:

Joins liberal party in 2012 quits in 2014 wtf. Its not like they suddenly became poo poo in the last two years.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I guess that might make sense to someone who learned all they know about conservatism from IPA soundbites on News24 or something.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

:australia:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

katlington posted:

Joins liberal party in 2012 quits in 2014 wtf. Its not like they suddenly became poo poo in the last two years.

A lot of people read the IPA dispatches and were convinced that the repeal of 18c would usher in a glorious age of "equality"

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

Does our legal fraternity have a history of people being selected for the bench based on political leanings?

John Dyson Heydon

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Former Victorian state Labor MP Lynne Kosky has passed away today due to toxic shock syndrome contracted while battling breast cancer

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

Palmer posted:

It's finished, it's wrapped up, it's been put to bed, it's not going to happen, finito, gone, no adjustments, no negotiations, no twigging, the co-payment is dead, absolutely dead, finished, gone and buried.

So when he passes it first sitting day of next year, how long till it actually causes prices to go up?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Then you have the really big one. One that the green revolution parrots that just sprout the green propaganda will never get, and more than likely never admit. Have you ever stood on a tin roof in the blazing sun? Ever felt the radiated heat that comes from a reflector as dull as a silver roof. And you plan to build huge arrays all over the world that will be radiating so much heat into the atmosphere that any discussion on green house gasses become irrelevant. Fuckin brilliant...

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

hooman posted:

Then you have the really big one. One that the green revolution parrots that just sprout the green propaganda will never get, and more than likely never admit. Have you ever stood on a tin roof in the blazing sun? Ever felt the radiated heat that comes from a reflector as dull as a silver roof. And you plan to build huge arrays all over the world that will be radiating so much heat into the atmosphere that any discussion on green house gasses become irrelevant. Fuckin brilliant...

I wonder if dark substances reflect more light than shiny ones? I wonder if it would be possible to improve technology as more money gets invested in it? I wonder if ...

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

You realise that the tin roof is hot because it absorbed the sun's energy rather than because it's reflecting it right?
A mirror in the sun will be relatively cool in comparison.

Shiny things reflect things back into space instead, it's one of the feedback loops of the melting of the ice caps - White snow sends a lot of light back into space

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Watching the internal bickering on the Victorian Young Greens FB Page about the NSW Young Greens publicly slamming the Richmond candidate against the party's wishes is possibly the most :stare: thing I've seen lately.

One guy's just having a meltdown and it's horrible in a fascinating sort of way.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Everyone should read this story about serco

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Yeah, it's a fantastic piece. The guy who does it has a good Tumblr and his cartoons are in the Red Flag, Australia's best left wing newspaper (put out by the Salties, which my baby brother is part of :3:)

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

WAR FOOT posted:

Watching the internal bickering on the Victorian Young Greens FB Page about the NSW Young Greens publicly slamming the Richmond candidate against the party's wishes is possibly the most :stare: thing I've seen lately.

One guy's just having a meltdown and it's horrible in a fascinating sort of way.

... you know you're teasing us with this, right?

All I can find on FB for the Young Greens is something about no regrets and condoms.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

All I can find on FB for the Young Greens is something about no regrets and condoms.

I'll throw up some screengrabs when I get home, unless that violates some rule? I don't think it does but I can't afford a rereg due to Masters of Teaching not being supported by AusStudy, despite being mandatory to be a Teacher. :v:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Yeah, it's a fantastic piece. The guy who does it has a good Tumblr and his cartoons are in the Red Flag, Australia's best left wing newspaper (put out by the Salties, which my baby brother is part of :3:)

Got a link to said tumblr?

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

They're closed/secret groups, you need to be a member to see them.

WAR FOOT posted:

I'll throw up some screengrabs when I get home, unless that violates some rule? I don't think it does but I can't afford a rereg due to Masters of Teaching not being supported by AusStudy, despite being mandatory to be a Teacher. :v:
I would think very, very carefully about posting from a secret group in a semi-public space. Then I would not do it. People post in those groups on the assumption that it's said in private.
Recent events in state Young Greens groups with respect to what members say in public vs private spaces coming back to bite them will be making everyone a bit more careful about social media.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

T-1000 posted:

I would think very, very carefully about posting from a secret group in a semi-public space. Then I would not do it. People post in those groups on the assumption that it's said in private.
Recent events in state Young Greens groups with respect to what members say in public vs private spaces coming back to bite them will be making everyone a bit more careful about social media.

That's fair.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Halo14 posted:

She knew of others who had left but some had chosen to remain in the party and try to reform from within.

:newlol:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Lizard Combatant posted:

Got a link to said tumblr?

Yes, here it is.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
God Helen Razer is a gigantic turd. Her pretentious contrarian schtick is getting so old it's gone moldy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

WAR FOOT posted:

That's fair.
You should post something in the group though, if you really feel it. There's not a lot of point sitting there, biting your tongue and squirming uncomfortably. Just, uh, try to be tactful.

disclaimer: 99% of the time I sit there, bite my tongue and squirm uncomfortably rather than start massive internet arguments with people who care about things a lot more than I do. Later I regret it.

• Locked thread