Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

How is Lord of the Rings attainable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

MinistryofLard posted:

The United States right after World War II, indefinitely.

(Yes, I know that Tolkien denied any connection to the war, but that's pretty obviously what Aurini's getting at.)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

it's pretty obviously what Aurini's getting at

I was thinking more along the lines of slaughtering hordes of dark-skinned savages with a broadsword.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

MinistryofLard posted:

First, find the long lost scion of a line of people descended from a literal demigod, then...

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
...assume your enemy is the embodiment of pure primordial evil and possesses such power, subtlety, and wickedness that literally any expenditure of resources is justified to fight them.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

But didn't we already do both of those by electing Reagan?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Soylent Pudding posted:

But didn't we already do both of those by electing Reagan?
When have we not done this?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

bartlebyshop posted:

There's a new Slate Star Codex up, about how On the Road is a book about awful people doing awful things and SSC dude did not like it. Good! But the best moment of all is this comment:

So I guess that quote about LOTR and Atlas Shrugged isn't so true after all.

John Rogers posted:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So I guess that quote about LOTR and Atlas Shrugged isn't so true after all.

I think LOTR can maybe cause harm to some people who are disposed to horrible ideas, but it's on a very different level than Rand's poo poo, which is literally designed to propagandize those ideas.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Aurini calling himself Sargon of Akkad really illustrates the overcompensation that characterizes his identity. Here's this sad little man who has to pretend to smoke and drink in front of a camera to make people think he is a real man, while he complains about western women and the decline of masculinity. He tastefully arranges a toy skull in shots for christ's sake. Hundreds of little things like that. And his alias is a direct reference to one of the most tremendously powerful individuals of the ancient world, the man who built the first multi-ethnic empire in history?

"Now, any king who wants to call himself my equal, wherever I went, let him go".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

murphyslaw posted:

Aurini calling himself Sargon of Akkad really illustrates the overcompensation that characterizes his identity. Here's this sad little man who has to pretend to smoke and drink in front of a camera to make people think he is a real man, while he complains about western women and the decline of masculinity. He tastefully arranges a toy skull in shots for christ's sake. Hundreds of little things like that. And his alias is a direct reference to one of the most tremendously powerful individuals of the ancient world, the man who built the first multi-ethnic empire in history?

"Now, any king who wants to call himself my equal, wherever I went, let him go".

They're the same guy? Wow.

e: Preeetty sure they're not.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Well poo poo. Don't I look stupid.

Still, quite presumptuous of the actual fellow if not as delightfully ironic.

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013
So I hate to be the guy who always links the Aurini videos but

His most recent one is where he addresses the criticisms about the fact that he looks like a loving idiot.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Would a real Übermenschlymensch really need to spend time whining about how people are mean about his looks?

Also, under suggested videos: ADOLF HITLER's Triumph of the Will (1935, 1080p) - German w/ Eng Subtitles :laugh:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

What a defensive little pissbaby.

Kut-Rate Kane posted:

I think fedoras are actually pretty cool hats and if I can pull one off in an outfit I'll wear it.

fe: Ahaha wait, so making fun of dudes is bad, but so is critiquing their arguments?

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013

TetsuoTW posted:

fe: Ahaha wait, so making fun of dudes is bad, but so is critiquing their arguments?

I think his problem is that nobody has done anything to disprove his stated fact that "Women today are the most decadent sluts since the fall of Rome." they just kind of point and laugh at him for being a manbaby.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Pulsedragon posted:

I think his problem is that nobody has done anything to disprove his stated fact that "Women today are the most decadent sluts since the fall of Rome." they just kind of point and laugh at him for being a manbaby.

It's a problem I've noticed with a certain kind of internet fuckwit - they say something like "Gaming should be a safe space for men in the same way as battered women's shelters are a safe space for women." and then expect people to 'rationally debate' their point instead of just throwing it out.

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013
Okay I watched more of his videos because I apparently hate myself.

In this one I think he somehow confuses himself for Anita Sarkeesian.

And here Count Orlock teaches us that all women are inherently whores, unless they're sluts (which are whores that lie about what they want from sex), and that feminism causes sluts? Also that communism is a puritanical government state? There's also a really long part about how the post scarcity economy of Star Trek couldn't possibly exist without currency.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I like how reactos simultaneously believe

1: We are in a puritanical society that hates joy and that won't let them have any fun

2: We are in a disgusting decadent hedonistic society that allows too much

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

1: We are in a puritanical society that hates joy and that won't let them have any fun

Translation into human: "there is a deep underlying complicated sophisticated reason that everybody is having fun but MEEEEEEEEEEE :qq:"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Stop making it so hard: they believe that they alone should be able have any kind of fun they want, and that all other people should exist only as tools to help them have fun. It is a violation of their rights to stop them from doing what they want and it is a violation of their rights to allow others to do as they want.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
My dream of growing up to be Aragorn was cruelly dashed by feminazis

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Haha it's a glass of iced apple juice? That's even more ridiculous. They use water/juice in film and on stage because they don't want the person to get drunk - but Aurini doesn't ever, ever sip his drink.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Would a real Übermenschlymensch really need to spend time whining about how people are mean about his looks?

Also, under suggested videos: ADOLF HITLER's Triumph of the Will (1935, 1080p) - German w/ Eng Subtitles :laugh:
Note that the next video (probably filmed the same day, since it's the same office corner with the same open notebook etc laying next to him) is titled "Why I respect Jack Thompson more than Anita Sarkeesian".

Ironically these are almost literally two of the main tenets of fascism.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 19:50 on Dec 3, 2014

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Kut Rate Kane posted:

What a defensive little pissbaby.

I think fedoras are actually pretty cool hats and if I can pull one off in an outfit I'll wear it.

This dude tries so hard to let you know that he doesn't care what you think, and it's SO OBVIOUS that all he cares about is what people think. He almost has a point - ad hominems don't really mean anything - but rather than just dismiss the 'attacks' as ad hominems and moving on, he whines for five and a half minutes. He even gives a quote from some dude that basically says 'Just ignore trolls'. Yet he can't keep himself from responding to defend himself.

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013

nucleicmaxid posted:

This dude tries so hard to let you know that he doesn't care what you think, and it's SO OBVIOUS that all he cares about is what people think. He almost has a point - ad hominems don't really mean anything - but rather than just dismiss the 'attacks' as ad hominems and moving on, he whines for five and a half minutes. He even gives a quote from some dude that basically says 'Just ignore trolls'. Yet he can't keep himself from responding to defend himself.

Honestly I'm not sure how many options you have if you're trying to have a "debate" with Aurini, other than mocking him, because his points just don't. . . really. . . exist.

Like, I have no idea how I'm supposed to respond to "All women are whores, unless they're sluts" with anything but "That's really obviously wrong holy poo poo dude" when we know his response is going to be "You haven't disproven the fact that all women are, by nature, whores. :smug: "

Okay I do, but mocking laughter would just be taken as an ad hominem.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Haha it's a glass of iced apple juice? That's even more ridiculous. They use water/juice in film and on stage because they don't want the person to get drunk - but Aurini doesn't ever, ever sip his drink.

Note that the next video (probably filmed the same day, since it's the same office corner with the same open notebook etc laying next to him) is titled "Why I respect Jack Thompson more than Anita Sarkeesian".

Ironically these are almost literally two of the main tenets of fascism.

Ironically? These guys are fascists (or as near as makes no difference), aren't they?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Ironically? These guys are fascists (or as near as makes no difference), aren't they?

Not really, some of them are monarchists.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Aurini has a girlfriend? I will not rest, until I have cucked him. This I swear, upon my life and sacred honor. I will cuck Davis Aurini.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Spoiler: she's Justine Tunney.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Swan Oat posted:

Aurini has a girlfriend? I will not rest, until I have cucked him. This I swear, upon my life and sacred honor. I will cuck Davis Aurini.

Have you seen what sort of guy she's attracted to?

Think of the personal cost, man.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Spoiler: she's Justine Tunney.
Nah man, she's from Texas and she's super hot man, seriously, but she kind of has this thing against Facebook so, you know

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Swan Oat posted:

edit: nm

hawaiian_robot has a new favorite as of 13:53 on Dec 4, 2014

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Darth Walrus posted:

Have you seen what sort of guy she's attracted to?

Think of the personal cost, man.

Around $500 if his evolutionary psychology theories are correct :haw:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
this thread is going in a bad direction

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I like how Sargon of Akkad has made himself basically un-googlable. He stole the name of a man so much better than him, that he will always be a tiny speck in his shadow. At least "Davis Aurini" is distinctive.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
can we stop digging into the lives of internet weirdos please?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Isn't that half* the point of this subforum?

* the other half is cat gifs

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah let's not. I wasn't advocating that.

I just think it's funny that the dude invokes somebody it's almost impossible to live up to. It's like that guy in every single creative writing class who is poo poo but won't stop quoting and referencing TS Eliot. He doesn't realise that it doesn't elevate him to the level of the dude, it just makes him look worse in comparison.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Phobophilia posted:

Yeah that's a good point, feel like kind of a douche for trying to google the guy, now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Phobophilia is right. Meanwhile, here's a fascist ent.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwi_qeEbLcGbrKNf3tRgQEg

EDIT: Aww poo poo, this guy used to have his own videos where he dressed up as a tree to talk about patriarchy. Looks like he deleted them.