Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Probably will in a couple days. I dumped a lot of hops on the liquid part. (Yes I coulda crashed first for better aroma but I'm lazy as hell.)

Personal research and experience into cold crashing tells me that you shouldn't cold crash while dry hopping as the optimal temperature for dry hop flavour extraction (versus alpha acid extraction in boiling) is between 15-18 degrees Celsius i.e. within reasonable fermentation temperature ranges.

I've noticed a difference too between cold crashing while dry hopping and leaving it at fermentation temperature - I think the yeast plays a part in it but I definitely couldn't say either way whether that's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure Michael Tonsmeire has written about that somewhere. Iirc, the yeast can drag some flavour components out of suspension with it.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I only brewed one batch in the past two and a half years. This week I'm cleaning my kegs and kettle and hitting the LHBS.

I'M BACK BABY :cheers:

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

McSpergin posted:

Personal research and experience into cold crashing tells me that you shouldn't cold crash while dry hopping as the optimal temperature for dry hop flavour extraction (versus alpha acid extraction in boiling) is between 15-18 degrees Celsius i.e. within reasonable fermentation temperature ranges.

I've noticed a difference too between cold crashing while dry hopping and leaving it at fermentation temperature - I think the yeast plays a part in it but I definitely couldn't say either way whether that's true.

I think that by "cold crashing first," he meant that it would be back up to some warmer temp for dry hopping. I've been kinda playing with variations on when to dry hopping (which is easy since I've been washing yeast too, so I have an excuse to rack to secondary for hops). Yesterday I CO2 purged a carboy with about 2.5-3oz of Mosaic and racked a conan APA into it. So far my results indicate that if you want more aroma/character from the dry hop, use more hops. I'll probably give this batch 3-4 days on the hops and then crash again for a couple of days.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Nanpa posted:

I'm pretty sure Michael Tonsmeire has written about that somewhere. Iirc, the yeast can drag some flavour components out of suspension with it.

I am aware of all of those things; I'm just really lazy. It was room temperature when I put them in but then I cold crashed about two days later

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 1, 2014

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Closing out the signups for the homebrew santa in a day or two when I have the bandwidth to do it. get your signups in when you can!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Closing out the signups for the homebrew santa in a day or two when I have the bandwidth to do it. get your signups in when you can!

Just to double check - I signed up before the email etc, so I've PM'd you the email. Just checking you got the pm. :)

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I had two starters going simultaneously on Sunday - WLP 670 American Saison and Wyeast 1318 London Ale III. So obviously I screwed up and added the dregs from the sour I was drinking into my 1318. I thought about just going with it and seeing what happened but this was supposed to be an entry into a competition so I just dumped it. Welp. I'm an idiot.

After that debacle and my second trip the the LHBS to buy replacement yeast I ended up adding way more water to my kettle than I had planned for and I didn't have enough time to boil it down so my gravity came out nearly 40 points under what I had planned for. I ended up waking up early yesterday and taking half my wort and boiling off about a gallon of water and adding some DME. I still ended up around 10 points under my target.

This was a bad weekend for brewing.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
I just picked up my first kegging gear from Craigslist and need some advice about checking it and cleaning it. I got 2 ball lock cornies, 5 lb aluminum CO2 tank, regulator with 2 outputs/shutoffs and assorted beer & gas lines, fittings and a picnic tap (all for $100). I played with it a bit by rinsing and then running PBW from one to the other, rinsing, then running starsan through. Is there anything else I should do or check before trusting one of these kegs with a batch of beer?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Economic Sinkhole posted:

I just picked up my first kegging gear from Craigslist and need some advice about checking it and cleaning it. I got 2 ball lock cornies, 5 lb aluminum CO2 tank, regulator with 2 outputs/shutoffs and assorted beer & gas lines, fittings and a picnic tap (all for $100). I played with it a bit by rinsing and then running PBW from one to the other, rinsing, then running starsan through. Is there anything else I should do or check before trusting one of these kegs with a batch of beer?

I'd leave both of the kegs connected to gas on high pressure (20-30PSI) full of StarSan or water for a day or so to make sure there's no leaks anywhere throughout the system.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Also, a spray bottle of Star-San makes good leak-checker. Pressurize the keg and spray a good coat of SS all over the posts and lid, then watch for bubbles.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

I'd be tempted to replace the rubber seals who knows what's been in those kegs.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

wildfire1 posted:

I'd be tempted to replace the rubber seals who knows what's been in those kegs.

Certainly if they smell like anything. The old wisdom was that it was only really necessary if the keg formerly held root beer syrup.

I mean, it can't hurt to replace them anyway, but it might be a "nice-to-have" rather than a requirement.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
This is a bit of a weird question but I figured I'd ask. My girlfriend was out of town this past weekend and I brewed a clone of her favorite beer (Lone Pint Yellow Rose) as part of her Christmas gift this year. I have a fermentation chamber (converted chest freezer) in a storage shed outside our apartment that she never checks, so the beer was fine to sit in there while the fermentation process played out.

Anyway, I pitched yeast on Sunday around midnight, and it was bubbling pretty good by noon Sunday. Checked it again before work this morning (Tuesday, that is), and it was bubbling pretty solidly. Finally got a chance to check it again just right now and the top blew off sometime between this morning and now :stonk:

It was in the fermentation chamber, which is sealed, and generating positive albeit small pressure with the CO2, so I should be shielded from infection, right? There was some nice krausen still covering the surface of the beer. I'd take some more precautionary measures but I only had a few minutes' window to take corrective action. I only resealed the bucket, wasn't able to clean out the airlock.

I hope everything is okay. I wanted it to be a surprise all the way until she pulls the tap handle on the kegerator :smith:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

illcendiary posted:

This is a bit of a weird question but I figured I'd ask. My girlfriend was out of town this past weekend and I brewed a clone of her favorite beer (Lone Pint Yellow Rose) as part of her Christmas gift this year. I have a fermentation chamber (converted chest freezer) in a storage shed outside our apartment that she never checks, so the beer was fine to sit in there while the fermentation process played out.

Anyway, I pitched yeast on Sunday around midnight, and it was bubbling pretty good by noon Sunday. Checked it again before work this morning (Tuesday, that is), and it was bubbling pretty solidly. Finally got a chance to check it again just right now and the top blew off sometime between this morning and now :stonk:

It was in the fermentation chamber, which is sealed, and generating positive albeit small pressure with the CO2, so I should be shielded from infection, right? There was some nice krausen still covering the surface of the beer. I'd take some more precautionary measures but I only had a few minutes' window to take corrective action. I only resealed the bucket, wasn't able to clean out the airlock.

I hope everything is okay. I wanted it to be a surprise all the way until she pulls the tap handle on the kegerator :smith:

It's probably OK.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Yea, the krausen basically is a natural protective barrier for the yeast.

Daedalus Esquire fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 3, 2014

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Was in Portland a few weeks ago and had Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA at their brewpub and have been kind of pining for it ever since.

Solution: try and make my own.

Thoughts on this recipe, adapted from here?

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Fresh Squeezed IPA Clone

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.4 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.049
Efficiency: 60% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.067
Final Gravity: 1.019
ABV (standard): 6.28%
IBU (tinseth): 59.67
SRM (morey): 9.67

FERMENTABLES:
14 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (84.2%)
1 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (6%)
10 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 75L (3.8%)
1 lb - American - Wheat (6%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: First Wort, IBU: 29.45
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 13.85
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 16.37
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 0 min
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 18 qt, Water Temp: 170
2) Temp: 170 F, Amount: 20 qt, Water Temp: 190
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.25 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - whirlfloc, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: Yes

NOTES:
3 L starter

Dry Hop 1 oz citra in secondary

Mainly curious about the addition of the wheat plus a Deschutes beer using American yeast as I thought most of their stuff was done with English.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 3, 2014

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

My house pale ale is reasonably similar -- I use 1.5 lb of wheat and only 1/2 lb of Munich, and a mix of Crystal 20 and 60. It's mostly Citra with some Cascade, and I've used various yeasts on it -- 1272, Vermont/Conan, Nottingham, etc. My favorites are probably Conan or the 1272. I'd try BRY-97, honestly.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
On the advice of the thread, I've replaced the o-rings in my kegs and have had one of them half filled with StarSan and sitting on 30 psi since last night. I checked it briefly this morning and everything seems OK- no liquid on the floor and there's still gas in the cylinder. If I strain to listen, I can hear a tiny buzzing leak somewhere. Spraying with StarSan doesn't reveal any bubbles though. I'm thinking about just slathering more keg lube on the lid seal and calling it good.

Is there some "best way" to siphon from a bucket into a keg to prevent oxygenation?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

On the advice of the thread, I've replaced the o-rings in my kegs and have had one of them half filled with StarSan and sitting on 30 psi since last night. I checked it briefly this morning and everything seems OK- no liquid on the floor and there's still gas in the cylinder. If I strain to listen, I can hear a tiny buzzing leak somewhere. Spraying with StarSan doesn't reveal any bubbles though. I'm thinking about just slathering more keg lube on the lid seal and calling it good.

Is there some "best way" to siphon from a bucket into a keg to prevent oxygenation?

Have a long enough tube to where it sits at the bottom of the keg so it just flows out smoothly and stays under the surface once the first inch of beer is in there. Plus if you flush star san through first, your keg is already full of CO2 and has no air in it.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

I can hear a tiny buzzing leak somewhere.

I hate to be the guy that throws out the stupid suggestion, but is this taking place inside a freezer? If so, are you sure you aren't hearing the compressor? I was paranoid about a noise for a while when I first started too then realized upon the first time I thoroughly cleaned the freezer that what I first assumed was a CO2 leak was still happening even when the freezer was empty.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

bewbies posted:

Was in Portland a few weeks ago and had Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA at their brewpub and have been kind of pining for it ever since.

Solution: try and make my own.

Thoughts on this recipe, adapted from here?

What are you hoping to achieve with addition of the wheat? The Deschutes recipe page only lists the 2 row, Munich, and Crystal 75. They also say they use an American Ale yeast on that page.

The biggest problem with that recipe is that it doesn't use enough hops, especially Mosaic. I would double the amount of late addition hops from 3oz to 6oz and triple the dry hop from 1oz to 3oz. I would think at least half of all of that should be Mosaic based on the flavor of the beer.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
That little amount of wheat is most likely to aid head retention.

Edit -

The IBU calculation on the Nugget addition seems pretty low to me.

I might use another oz of dryhops but it should turn out OK regardless.

j3rkstore fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 4, 2014

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Stories Of Recovery: When This Man Started Brewing His Own Beer, His Friends Helped Him Stop

I can't believe I have to state this but it's a satire site

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Hey everyone! I'm looking to get a kegging setup for Christmas but am not really sure which direction to go. My mom linked me this kit http://www.cornykeg.com/catalog.asp?prodid=760017&showprevnext=1 which looks pretty good but I don't really know. I plan on getting a chest freezer and converting it into a keezer with a few taps eventually. Any recommendations or thoughts are greatly appreciated! I looked on Craigslist Chicago but unfortunately haven't run into any used co2 tanks or corny kegs.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Are you set on getting a new keg, or would you consider a used/refurb? Kegconnection and a few other sites are worth checking, and it looks like maybe cheaper even if you spend the money for a new keg.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

I love stuff like this. The Onion ran one a while ago too

Home brewing phase comes to long overdue conclusion

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

ChickenArise posted:

Are you set on getting a new keg, or would you consider a used/refurb? Kegconnection and a few other sites are worth checking, and it looks like maybe cheaper even if you spend the money for a new keg.

I don't have any issue with used. I'll have to check out keg connection, thanks for the tip!

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Randomly ebay searched for keg stuff and this was the first result:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/keg-set-up-man-cave-ready-new-tank-/181598114391

CO2 tank, regulator, perlick-style tap + shank (with rad Blackhawks tap handle), and sanke tap.

Best of all, it's available for pickup in Hanover Park. $35.

You should go buy that, seriously. Spend a little more on other parts of your setup because that is crazy fuckin cheap for all of that.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Whoaaaa that is awesome! Good find and thanks a ton!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

internet celebrity posted:

I love stuff like this. The Onion ran one a while ago too

Home brewing phase comes to long overdue conclusion

Clickhole's the onion's way to make fun of buzzfeed.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

:allears: I love how well the onion can do satiral buzzfeed piss take.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Sour beer bulk aging: any reason not to do it in a Corny?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
If you serve it from the corny it'll be gone in a week.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I have that problem already, but I'd like to open up the fermenter slot in my ferment fridge, so was considering racking over to a corny and then setting it aside to continue to develop for the next 4-12 months. Or does it just make more sense to leave it in the carboy?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Jo3sh posted:

I have that problem already, but I'd like to open up the fermenter slot in my ferment fridge, so was considering racking over to a corny and then setting it aside to continue to develop for the next 4-12 months. Or does it just make more sense to leave it in the carboy?

Corny kegs seem like pretty ideal bulk aging containers to me. Stainless, no light, you can purge headspace with CO2 easily. If you've got extra kegs, it sounds good to me.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Im going to be honest here. I didn't see the spoiler part, and after i read it. My thought was literally " i can quit whenever i want". Then my very next thought was. "Oh thats the first thing addicts say. Oh dear."

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I don't have a problem, you have a problem. Now leave me alone, it's my life, and I'll brew if I want to.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
My problem is there's less than 90l of beer in my house and summer is coming up :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Nanpa posted:

My problem is there's less than 90l of beer in my house and summer is coming up :ohdear:
I have over 90L of beer and winter hasn't even begun :unsmigghh: