Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Wally Joyner posted:

The exhaust fell off on my Volvo with 365K miles last weekend and I felt pretty scummy driving around with an ugly sounding car, so I went to the local parts store for a fix and this was there apparently using the same roads as you and I;

Edit; I wonder if it changes shape depending on throttle input.

Not even Kastein would touch this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jeherrin posted:

Sure he would. It's just that he'd use a plasma cutter when he did touch it.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Wally Joyner posted:

The exhaust fell off on my Volvo with 365K miles last weekend and I felt pretty scummy driving around with an ugly sounding car, so I went to the local parts store for a fix and this was there apparently using the same roads as you and I;

I'm pretty sure this changes shape depending on precipitation, never mind throttle input.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The worst part is, you can get some pretty nice, solid, reliable vehicles for less than it would cost to keep that thing running.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Powershift posted:

cost to keep that thing running.

Haha, you think the owner actually has any costs beyond gas. Anything that breaks probably gets welded/screwed/ratchet-strapped back together or left alone.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Wally Joyner posted:

Let's say he crossed the boarder into a state with inspections; could they remove this vehicle from the road for *violations* even if it's not registered in their state?

Some states do allow the police to issue tickets for unsafe vehicles.

If that rolled through Texas, I guarantee cops would be all over that thing like flies on poo poo, looking for a reason to impound it.

One of my neighbors has the same generation S-10, except it's nearly mint. They use it just for hauling stuff that won't fit in the car, they don't drive it otherwise.... nearly mint, except the rear wheel arches have rust holes.

It's been in Texas its whole life, and the rest of the body looks brand new (even the paint is good). :confused:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
edit: wrong-o thread-o

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 3, 2014

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Wally Joyner posted:

It looks like Mother Earth has just been gnawing at it, reclaiming it bite by bite

Inspections are important, and this demonstrates why.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Horse Divorce posted:

It looks like Mother Earth has just been gnawing at it, reclaiming it bite by bite

Inspections are important, and this demonstrates why.

My first reaction was "this is why MN needs inspections" - then I noticed it has an MN plate.

You know, barreling down icy roads with structural rust, no need to worry! Better start tearing up another major road in August, we'll have plenty of time before winter!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's just a sleeper guys, turn the ignition and hydraulics straighten and lock the frame and dude can lay down miles of black lines at every stop light.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

If that rolled through Texas, I guarantee cops would be all over that thing like flies on poo poo, looking for a reason to impound it.
Between the store clerk making what, at the time, seemed like awkward small chat with this guy (stalling) and an all black Taurus cruiser with 2 officers pulling in the lot to park in-front of the store as I was leaving--I think the PD already has their hands on him and his truck. Me and my loud car didn't stick around to observe, though.

Edit;

xzzy posted:

It's just a sleeper guys, turn the ignition and hydraulics straighten and lock the frame and dude can lay down miles of black lines at every stop light.

I wish this came to replace the stanced crowd. Better yet, have the hydraulics make it fish-flop!

stone soup fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 3, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

some texas redneck posted:

same generation S-10, nearly mint, except the rear wheel arches have rust holes

It's been in Texas its whole life

Pretty much says everything you need to know about mid-80s - early 90s S-10s.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Wally Joyner posted:

My old S10 pickup was on its way to doing something similar to this before I got rid of it.

- The floor pan where the body mounts attached on the driver's side had rusted and caved in and the cab fell onto the frame, smashing the wiring loom for the tail lights and shorting the running lights with the reverse light circuit. Which meant every time I put it in reverse, the running lights came on, and vice-versa whenever I turned the lights on. Fixed it with some wood blocks, some bulk wire, and a few butt connectors.

- The tailgate rusted to the point where the bottom broke out when I went to open it one day. Replaced it with a used Gator Net, went nice with the slowly rotting bed.

- The hinges for the driver's door were worn to the point that the door dropped about an inch or so every time it was opened, and when I went to replace the pins and bushings, I discovered that the badly worn hinge halves are in fact WELDED to the pillar and that was also rusting pretty bad. Once the outside handle broke from the stress of the failing hinges, I just left it that way and got in on the passenger side and slid across the bench seat.

All this in a period of about 5 years. However, the frame and undercarriage were still pretty solid and the 2.5L Duke with 220k miles on it still ran like a loving champ. I miss that 'lil truck...

Look close and you can see where the fender is kinked from the door hitting it thanks to the aforementioned hinges. :v:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 3, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

a primate posted:

hey bro check out this sweet induction scoop that i made after painting my house

I don't think that panned out quite how he wanted it to. :rimshot:

Jeherrin posted:

gently caress no, 1. I don't chevy and 2. That is parts only condition at best. I might drive it home with a temp tag on it (after checking if the frame was broken yet), but it would never move again after that.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Trico FLEX windshield wipers.

Driver's side flew off while driving in the rain today after being installed for a week. My oem wipers have had it, what replacement wiper isn't terrible car stuff?

I also got a set for my wife's jetta last week but none of the adapters worked. I put half of the blame on VW for that.

Speaking of VW, gently caress VW. The plastic thing on the back of the headlight housing to change the bulbs that you're supposed to twist off took a hammer and chisel to twist loose. There's just not enough room behind it to get my hands in there to twist it off, and even if there was it felt like it would have taken a specialized tool to twist it.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 4, 2014

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

Extra posted:

Any state without annual and post-purchase safety inspections
also, certain areas of NY.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

GutBomb posted:

Trico FLEX windshield wipers.

Driver's side flew off while driving in the rain today after being installed for a week. My oem wipers have had it, what replacement wiper isn't terrible car stuff?

I also got a set for my wife's jetta last week but none of the adapters worked. I put half of the blame on VW for that.

Rain-X Latitudes are the best of the best, as are SilBlades. Bosch Icons are similar to the Rain-X Latitudes, and a few bucks cheaper. I don't know what works for your wife's Jetta.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 225 days!)

Safety Dance posted:

Rain-X Latitudes are the best of the best, as are SilBlades. Bosch Icons are similar to the Rain-X Latitudes, and a few bucks cheaper. I don't know what works for your wife's Jetta.

Almost any of the curvy form-fitting blades work awesome if your windshield isn't pitted to poo poo. If it is, nothing is really going to work, but using the Rain-X goopywax stuff will help.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Bosch has an "OE" line of icons that has adapters for all the weird attachment methods if your car doesn't use the std hooks.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I was happy with my Bosch Icons... until one flew off in the rain. No warning, just suddenly metal arm on glass and my passenger laughing at my "ARE YOU loving SERIOUS?!" reaction, and I know drat well I'd attached it properly (it'd been on the car for nearly 6 months). Found part of the wiper mount still on the arm.

I'm just buying the cheapest poo poo possible until a decent set of curved blades go on sale or get a rebate again. Partly because when we actually do get winter weather, it's solid ice encasing everything, not snow, so I don't want to spend the money on good blades when they're just going to get destroyed in the next couple of months.

When I got the Icons, it was buy one, get one 50% off. Even though I lost the passenger side one, I kept the drivers side one until recently - it finally deformed enough that it wasn't even wiping a good chunk of the windshield (the middle part of it wasn't doing poo poo), so it has $6 ValueCraft blades on both sides now. :sigh: I'd still buy that curved style again (they work especially well at highway speeds), just not from Bosch.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I have Icons on my Jeep and haven't really been impressed with them. When they were new they worked alright but for the past six months or so they've been leaving little streaks. So they basically lasted about half as long as the el cheapo Duralasts I had on my XJ for twice the price.

Dad has a set of regular looking blades covered by a rubber sleeve on his Sierra that I'm thinking of trying out next.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I've been using Bosch Icons since beam wipers became widely available in the US, never really had an issue with them. Maybe they've dropped QC or had a bad batch? I'd just find a better brand of beam wiper, you can't beat them in the winter - if they freeze up at all you can just bash them against the windshield a couple of times to restore function. If the same happens to a regular wiper you either have to throw warm water on them or else take them inside and thaw them out.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Geoj posted:

I've been using Bosch Icons since beam wipers became widely available in the US, never really had an issue with them. Maybe they've dropped QC or had a bad batch? I'd just find a better brand of beam wiper, you can't beat them in the winter - if they freeze up at all you can just bash them against the windshield a couple of times to restore function. If the same happens to a regular wiper you either have to throw warm water on them or else take them inside and thaw them out.

Huh? Regular Crappy Tire metal replacements have always been plenty good enough to last through Ontario winters, both northern and southern. I've never had to take my wipers off and bring them inside to thaw them out. Those flexy ones look fancy, but they're like 4x the price and given that their only task is to wipe the windshield, they don't do a 4x better job of it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I've been running Icons on my Corolla for the last 3 years, seem to get about a year/year and a half out of a set. I really like them, and they're a few bucks cheaper than the Rain-X Latitudes or whatever they're called. Probably one of the few Bosch products that hasn't made me want to go hunting Germans.

That reminds me actually, I need to pick up some replacements, these have started to get a bit streaky.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I don't know what brand VW sources their wiper blades from, but the ones that came with my car last seven years of summers and winters. They cost more, but I threw another OEM set on there this summer. If these last half as long, it's still better than any other wiper I've used.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Meanwhile, on a wet day in December...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

You get new tires when you can't see the wear bars anymore, right?

:iamafag:

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
Don't be so environmentally irresponsible. You get new tires when your old ones start to corrode.

(Side note: oh god tires are so expensive why did I ever buy this car)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Uthor posted:

I don't know what brand VW sources their wiper blades from, but the ones that came with my car last seven years of summers and winters. They cost more, but I threw another OEM set on there this summer. If these last half as long, it's still better than any other wiper I've used.

I'm still on my original wipers after 3 years and they work just fine. I did have to replace the rear wiper because the blade ripped.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I dig PIAA's silicone wiper blades, the silicone gives the windshield a rain-x effect which I loving love.

Could probably get 3-4 years out of them if you're not sensitive to streaking. I replace them somewhere between 1-2 years because I'm kind of obsessive about a clear windshield.

They're based in Portland, OR so I like to think they know a little bit about dealing with rain.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Conversely, Rain-X branded blades are loving awful.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

MrYenko posted:

This is 50000% true.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

xzzy posted:

I dig PIAA's silicone wiper blades, the silicone gives the windshield a rain-x effect which I loving love.

Awe yeah, the silicon blades are awesome and you can get just the inserts for cheaper if your piaa frames are still good.

Echoing the dislike of bosch icons, I bought a set when they are on special (and reading rave reviews) and they really don't last, mine have started falling apart and they started skipping on the glass after 6 months or so. My piaa ones seem to last around 2 years before needing inserts. Surprisingly the valveo curved one piece wipers I picked up a while ago are actually much better than the icons.

To bring it back to the thread topic, anyone ever get irrationally irritated when you're riding in a friend's car and it looks like they've never changed their wipers and it would honestly be more effective to drive through a bush to clear the windshield? Seriously how do people live with such dirty windshields?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrYenko posted:

The spray is excellent though. I soak a rag and wipe my blades down fairly frequently.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Bajaha posted:

Awe yeah, the silicon blades are awesome and you can get just the inserts for cheaper if your piaa frames are still good.

Echoing the dislike of bosch icons, I bought a set when they are on special (and reading rave reviews) and they really don't last, mine have started falling apart and they started skipping on the glass after 6 months or so. My piaa ones seem to last around 2 years before needing inserts. Surprisingly the valveo curved one piece wipers I picked up a while ago are actually much better than the icons.

To bring it back to the thread topic, anyone ever get irrationally irritated when you're riding in a friend's car and it looks like they've never changed their wipers and it would honestly be more effective to drive through a bush to clear the windshield? Seriously how do people live with such dirty windshields?

The valeo blades are OEM on my Volvo, and I love them. I've tried several other brands including bosch and rain-x and the valeos are the best so far. Also Aquapel is way better than rain-x.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Wiper talk

I just bought a set of Valeo 900-28-1B Frameless Ultimates for my 08 Altima - arriving tomorrow
Amazon

Altima forums seemed to like them

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I have some bosch beam type on the BMW (220ECA? i think that means Icon), and they are the loudest things Ive ever used. The beam is too wide, so when it changes direction, the edges of the beam hit the glass and it makes a huge thunk.
Maybe they are too long so they flex? Im going to get dealer blades when we replace the windshield next.
I should have saved the blades I took off and tried to get refills, but of course I threw them out like a sucker.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Aren't the PIAA blades like $30-40?

As far as I can tell, blades are only supposed to last around six months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

The spray is excellent though. I soak a rag and wipe my blades down fairly frequently.

It works a lot better to put it directly on the windshield and buff it off.