Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
Melta Talk: and there is a reason I miss Sharp Shooter doctrine :(

Its been about three years since I've played 40k. I just bought the AM codex. Besides the current rules, what books are recommended for a returning Guard player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

ghetto wormhole posted:

The vent chunks alone mean it has to be real :v:

It'a actually 100% true. Recasters are much more efficient than FW. They never, ever, waste expensive resin on giant chunks you poo poo can after sawing off.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

So, gains +2 strength but loses, "you just might get infinite attacks"? I'm okay with that.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PierreTheMime posted:

Meanwhile, in the background, Trayzn will sneak around during the battle and steal some blessed blood-infused golden artifact from the Blood Angels sanctum, thus fulfilling his desire for a gaudy chalice in his newest diorama and ensuring the Necrons and Blood Angels will encounter awkward situations later when the Chapter Master finds out.

Snidely Whipcron. Scarab Shackling Sisters of Battle to train tracks. Only the train is made of 5th dimensional horror.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

ToyotaThong posted:

Melta Talk: and there is a reason I miss Sharp Shooter doctrine :(

Its been about three years since I've played 40k. I just bought the AM codex. Besides the current rules, what books are recommended for a returning Guard player?

Imperial Armour 1 has a lot of cool guard stuff though it has yet to be erratad to be in line with the new codex/7th ed. Other than that there's not really any books to buy.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Post 9-11 User posted:

So, gains +2 strength but loses, "you just might get infinite attacks"? I'm okay with that.

Compared to the old Blood Talons it's actually +4S (unless Furioso Dreads are no longer S6) and AP2 vs AP3 which is a pretty huge boost. There's nothing worse than getting your Blood Talon Furioso Dread caught in a fight with a 2+ or 3++ armor unit and spending the entire game just bouncing saved hits of each other. Blood talons used to just be Lightning Claws with the "bonus attacks" rule but now they are Dreadnought CCWs that also have Lightning Claw rules (not that I'm complaining at all)? If that's what Blood Talons do, what could Blood Fists do that would be any different? AP1 and some kind of anti-vehicle/building rule? I have a feeling Talons be expensive compared to a free gear swap like before. Or maybe they will be exclusive to Death Company Dreads.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 4, 2014

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Hollismason posted:

Although the Ork formations are kind of poo poo and that codex is kind of poo poo as well.

Actually, the Ork formations are probably the best thing about the book. Bully Boyz and Blitza Wagons are both quite strong and Green Tide and some of the others are fairly passable. Orks probably came out better than any of the other 7E books so far.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Speaking of Angels, Belialbomb: bring two heavy flamers, or two assault cannons? I think assault cannons, just to ping rear armor, but is there a consensus?

I would go with Assault Cannons; more flexibility, and they're twin-linked so you should land most all of your shots. Between them and the Storm Bolters, you can kill all the infantry you need to.

quote:

Blood Talons

I'm pretty flat on the "new" version of Talons- it takes them from being an interesting piece of niche gear with an amusing special effect to a slightly-better version of the normal DCCW, which feels pretty weak. Fits with the pattern of pretty much removing every interesting or relevant special rule from the 7E books, though. :\

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Speaking of Angels, Belialbomb: bring two heavy flamers, or two assault cannons? I think assault cannons, just to ping rear armor, but is there a consensus?

I use 2 heavy flamers and have never regretted it. I assume you're running full Deathwing, and if so you'll have enough assault cannons elsewhere, but being able to exactly place heavy flamers is really great, especially with splitfire.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
Any advice in purchasing a battle mat for my warhams? I've seen a lot of advertisements for frontline gaming's products, but wondering if there were any better alternatives out there.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
So I'm facing a list on Saturday with 2 ML 2 and 2 ML 3 sorcerers hiding in 50 man mutant blobs, one of which has cypher in and one of which has Huron in.

I'm fairly sure he's going to fish for invisibility and then completely roll my poo poo as then I can't target him with any blasts. I've got a fairly decent amount of psychic dice... But not that many.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Miruvor posted:

Any advice in purchasing a battle mat for my warhams? I've seen a lot of advertisements for frontline gaming's products, but wondering if there were any better alternatives out there.

Frontline FATmats are awesome. An alternative, especially if you're in Europe, is these, I don't have one of my own but they seem well regarded.

Another alternative if you want city streets is the Mars Attcks mats from Mantic, they're 2x2 squares that come in both straight road and T junction, so you can get some of the modularity that hard plastic tiles like Secret Weapon offer.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 4, 2014

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Some goons don't like them, but I'm a big fan of Zuzzy's textured mats:
http://www.zuzzy.com/

They are a textured latex-like material with actual detail ontop. They take up almost no space when rolled up and they cost a margin less than most of the alternatives. They have a 2-3 month lead time, however, and your dice will bounce around a tiny bit more due to the latex.

I really don't like the Frontline FATmats. Their backgrounds look really uninspired and low-res. I swear they are stock photos. At $100 for a giant mouse pad I'd rather get the European ones.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

BULBASAUR posted:

I really don't like the Frontline FATmats. Their backgrounds look really uninspired and low-res.

I have three, none of them look low res to me.

Also you didn't mention the other downsides of the Zuzzy mats - one is you need to paint them yourself, another is that after you pay the money, you don't hear from them again no matter how many times you try to contact them, and just when you get to the point of asking the bank about a charge back 3 months later the mat arrives without warning.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
We game on an unpainted grey + black one that's perfect as an urban wasteland, so you don't really have to paint them. Their communication does suck, I completely agree, and it will take 3 months to get anything from them.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

AbusePuppy posted:

I'm pretty flat on the "new" version of Talons- it takes them from being an interesting piece of niche gear with an amusing special effect to a slightly-better version of the normal DCCW, which feels pretty weak. Fits with the pattern of pretty much removing every interesting or relevant special rule from the 7E books, though. :\
As someone who has lost a whole brood of 30 gaunts in a single assault phase from one bloodfinger dreadnought when that codex first dropped, it was NOT niche gear.
Even in 6th/7th if it gets into combat with anything squishier than a 2+ save, you can say goodbye to every model within a reasonable distance of it.

gently caress bloodfingers. I'm glad they got changed because bonus attacks that can chain endlessly was dumb, considering Old One Eye only gets bonus attacks off the first dice roll.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
From the look of the upcoming shield of Baal fiction release on the advent Calendar it might actually be an Eldar release to close it out.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

So they've kicked their super-best friends to the curb? :v:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Tried playing a game of Horus Heresy last night...but not in the way you might think:

This is the Fantasy Flight board game, and doesn't even show all of the counters and pieces. Being a FF game it's got shitloads of cards and counters and we didn't even finish half the game in 2 and a half hours (it took an hour and a half to set up and go through the rules). It's also really difficult as the Traitor player. But drop podding in an enemy area and blowing up titans is fun. As we learned the game it because clear how you use the various cards to get you more actions and try to strategize, but there's enough randomness because of the cards that it's not completely overwhelming.

Didn't get to do the Horus vs the Emperor battle though, that would have taken another few hours of gameplay I'm sure. Next game should go quicker, hopefully.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So I followed Post 9-11 User's suggestion to use an older Space Marine body for the Inquisitor but it turns out that I only had one complete body and it's not the best shape as seen.

Also I'm starting to get convinced that the Scion Bolt pistol arm is possibly one of the best bits available for IG since it just works with pretty much any weapon combo.

Plasma pistol pose is a bit awkward though.

Also Trooper Woo wishes he had a normal mirror flipped Laspistol arm available.

Vel
Jun 7, 2014

BULBASAUR posted:

Some goons don't like them, but I'm a big fan of Zuzzy's textured mats:
http://www.zuzzy.com/

They are a textured latex-like material with actual detail ontop. They take up almost no space when rolled up and they cost a margin less than most of the alternatives. They have a 2-3 month lead time, however, and your dice will bounce around a tiny bit more due to the latex.

I really don't like the Frontline FATmats. Their backgrounds look really uninspired and low-res. I swear they are stock photos. At $100 for a giant mouse pad I'd rather get the European ones.

Those mats look awesome but how much of a pain are they to paint?

Vel fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 4, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Vel posted:

Those mats look awesome but how much of a pain are they to paint?

Pretty easy to airbrush, then you just scumble on a bit of lighter colors and pick out any hard details. You just don't want to go heavy on anything in particular because it might crack when you roll the mat back up.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

krushgroove posted:

Tried playing a game of Horus Heresy last night...but not in the way you might think:

This is the Fantasy Flight board game, and doesn't even show all of the counters and pieces. Being a FF game it's got shitloads of cards and counters and we didn't even finish half the game in 2 and a half hours (it took an hour and a half to set up and go through the rules). It's also really difficult as the Traitor player. But drop podding in an enemy area and blowing up titans is fun. As we learned the game it because clear how you use the various cards to get you more actions and try to strategize, but there's enough randomness because of the cards that it's not completely overwhelming.

Didn't get to do the Horus vs the Emperor battle though, that would have taken another few hours of gameplay I'm sure. Next game should go quicker, hopefully.

I've played this game a few times, the Traitor player really does have their work cut out for them. Sometimes though the Imperial player will force an early combat onboard the vengeful spirit and then you're basically hosed.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Re: Melta. I dunno about your crappy human designs, but my fusion blasters seem to function pretty well...

Meanwhile, I think I'm going to finally assemble my Contemptor (two melee arms) tonight. Need to figure out how I'm going to pose it.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 4, 2014

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

BULBASAUR posted:

We game on an unpainted grey + black one that's perfect as an urban wasteland, so you don't really have to paint them. Their communication does suck, I completely agree, and it will take 3 months to get anything from them.

I ordered one in June and have not heard a peep from them since, and definitely have not gotten my mat. I am starting to feel like ZUZZY is a bug scam and I am the only one not in on it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ZachAttack posted:

I ordered one in June and have not heard a peep from them since, and definitely have not gotten my mat. I am starting to feel like ZUZZY is a bug scam and I am the only one not in on it.

If you paid by credit card, you should be able to contact them to get your money back. If you paid by Paypal I think the limit is 90 or 120 days, not sure (the recent Blue Table Painting debacle highlighted Paypal's refund time limit). If a business suddenly starts getting chargebacks you can be sure they'll start pay attention to customer relations.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
One furious day of painting and the terrain is ready for tomorrow evening when we deploy for our 4K a side clash...

An Ork Green Tide with two meks, two painbosses - An Ork biker deathstar with a painboss - Two 50 man mutant blobs with sorcerors, Cypher and Huron - Outflanking Noise Marines - Heldrakes...

Versus

A Chapter Master tooled to the nines, Sevrin Loth, Tactical marines, Thunderfire, Wyvern, Heavy Mortars... Eldar Wraitheverything... Lots of wave serpents.

Its going to be an epic game!

See also: Some previews of the gatehouses for the fortress.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

krushgroove posted:

If you paid by credit card, you should be able to contact them to get your money back. If you paid by Paypal I think the limit is 90 or 120 days, not sure (the recent Blue Table Painting debacle highlighted Paypal's refund time limit). If a business suddenly starts getting chargebacks you can be sure they'll start pay attention to customer relations.

Yea, I did PayPal so I guess what I got was a $50 lesson.

E: in a happier note, I gat a F.A.T. mat around the same time and I love it. Durable, stores well, looks and feels great. I got the diagonal city pattern. Would definitely recommend.

ZachAttack fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 4, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

ZachAttack posted:

Yea, I did PayPal so I guess what I got was a $50 lesson.

Is your Paypal attached to your bank account or a credit card? If the latter, you may still stand a chance (though I don't know that for certain).

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Miruvor posted:

I have one of the FAT Mats and I like it a lot. It's the cityfight one with streets and stuff and it's super-handy because all three deployment types are cleverly marked out on it, including Vanguard Strike. It's a huge time-saver and they're actually quite easy to store/transport while still being durable.

Lord Twisted posted:

So I'm facing a list on Saturday with 2 ML 2 and 2 ML 3 sorcerers hiding in 50 man mutant blobs, one of which has cypher in and one of which has Huron in.

I'm fairly sure he's going to fish for invisibility and then completely roll my poo poo as then I can't target him with any blasts. I've got a fairly decent amount of psychic dice... But not that many.

Remember that he can't Infiltrate with the blob + characters unless ALL the characters have Infiltrate.

Also, remember he's gotta accept challenges with everyone but Cypher; if you have any decent combat characters, you can punk out a lot of his Sorcerers that way.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Is there a noticeable size difference? The plastic Space Marine kit is very old but, as far as I know, all concurrent kits match it in scale.

I'm the type of grognard that wants Space Marines to tower over Imperial Guardsmen but that isn't the case so far.

Anyway, I'm a jerk and haven't looked through my bits yet, I have several boxes to look through and a turkey dinner to cook today (delayed my own cooking due to an unplanned visit with grandma).

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Post 9-11 User posted:

Is there a noticeable size difference? The plastic Space Marine kit is very old but, as far as I know, all concurrent kits match it in scale.

I'm the type of grognard that wants Space Marines to tower over Imperial Guardsmen but that isn't the case so far.

Anyway, I'm a jerk and haven't looked through my bits yet, I have several boxes to look through and a turkey dinner to cook today (delayed my own cooking due to an unplanned visit with grandma).

Looking at the models there's barely any height difference between the IG Officer and the Inquisitor if that's what you're wondering about.

But regarding those two alternatives considering that they're both leaning I have no idea about differences but I'd almost say that the one based on the Grey Knight is a bit taller but it is barely noticeable anyway.
Considering the spare bits I've got I'd almost want to build both of them but the Marine body has a huge gouge in his midriff, and I barely have any greenstuff to fix that, and the pose is horrible as well

Don't sweat it really. I'll make do with what I've got otherwise and maybe if I'm lucky I might even be able to win a whole bunch of extra Scion arms for future usage.
Then again with my auction luck I have my doubts.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Cataphract posted:

Agree on meltas and yet deffkoptas seem surprisingly accurate.

This is an optical illusion, like one of those photos where you're SURE there's two different shades of gray but then you use the eye dropper and holy gently caress it's the same drat gray

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Is there in fact a way to model the head-and-chest-only Marine in the Rhino kit so that it doesn't look completely ridiculous? The one who looks like hes just poking his head out for a better look or to escape a sealed box of transhuman farts.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

I used mine to make Mole Marine objectives. Just guys pokin' their heads out to take a peek at what's all goin' on over this side of yonder and/or dudes who got a hilarious prank played on them by their battle brothers and are patiently waiting for someone to come and dig them out.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The only way you could fit the cupola gunners in most Space Marine vehicles would be if you lowered them in like R2-D2. The one just barely poking his head up is what happens when they try to get out from the inside.

Now where's that picture of the Space Wolves Rhino where the dude is sticking his head out and screaming with his hair getting blown back? That's m favorite.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

That's a lot of bits.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
OOooh grav pistol

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The little hand flamer is cute, with its baby-sized fuel canister.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Anyone have any experience with Deepcut Studios battle mats? Me and a friend are considering ordering a couple from them. We live in Europe and don't like Gamemat's designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Meltas come in pistol size now?

• Locked thread